HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Florida

Old
11-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

vCash: 500
Toronto - Florida

Toronto:

Stephen Weiss

Florida:

Nazem Kadri
Cody Franson
2012 2nd Round Pick

With Connolly seeming like he will be injured on a regular basis, Toronto needs a more reliable centre who can play on the top line. Weiss's cap hit is manageable and I like his game. He relies on hard work and doesn't try flashy plays that put his team in dangerous situations. I think Kessel and Lupul would benefit from this type of centre.

Not sure if he's available, but I'm assuming Tallon would want young roster players and picks back to go forward with the rebuild. I would assume they want Huberdeau to be Florida's first line centre of the future, so Weiss might become available this or next year. Is this offer close, or would Florida need a stop gap centre to fill the void that the loss of Weiss creates?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Burke refused to trade Kadri for weiss, I doubt he adds franson and a 2nd now.

Yes connolly is injury prone but if we are going to give the assets I much rather use those assets on a better centre then weiss.

Not that weiss is not good or anything but we need legit #1.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Riellyfan04

Noo...

Riellyfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Cosmonaut

Panthers wouldn't do this either.

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post

Yes connolly is injury prone but if we are going to give the assets I much rather use those assets on a better centre then weiss.

I can't see Florida being over anxious to move Weiss either. He is their #1 C, playing over 20 mins a night and is 2nd on the team in scoring. I don't see the value to Florida, Kadri isn't NHL ready yet - he will be but it will be a few years before he's ready to play on Florida's 1st line, Franson isn't an upgrade from any of the Panther's current top 6 and the 2nd is a nice piece, but makes Florida less competitive this year and next at least.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:

You really think a legit #1 centre will magically become available in the near future? All of this Spezza/Staal/Statsny talk to the Leafs is ridiculous. These are franchise players and the chance of Burke getting his hands on one of these guys is extremely low. If he could get Weiss for a package like this (no current players on the roster), then this make the Leafs instantly better and gives them a much better shot at meaningful playoff hockey.

You're right that Weiss isn't a legit #1, but I'd rather have him on the first line than Connolly or Bozak.

Old
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Eamonn*

No thank you.. -leafs fan

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Take out the 2nd round pick and I'd do it

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Take out the 2nd round pick and I'd do it
same, you can even make it a 5th and a prospect or something ...

what is Weiss' cap hit ?

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
same, you can even make it a 5th and a prospect or something ...

what is Weiss' cap hit ?
3.1 million. UFA in 2013.

Old
11-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Heck no from Panthers. Weiss is key to their offense along with Versteeg and Fleischmann (sp?). It's not worth some that.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Toronto passes, better off developing their talent or waiting for the right deal to come around. I don't think this is it. They are doing fine without Weiss right now, I don't see how this makes them that much better.

Where do Connolly and Bozak play? There would have to be subsequent trades or moves if this is made.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:29 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
Toronto passes, better off developing their talent or waiting for the right deal to come around. I don't think this is it. They are doing fine without Weiss right now, I don't see how this makes them that much better.

Where do Connolly and Bozak play? There would have to be subsequent trades or moves if this is made.
Move Bozak out too, I've lost faith in him. Grabovski is UFA and Connolly is broken. Still a lot of uncertainty at the center position in Leaf Land imo. The deal is a gamble (I still like Kadri) but you just can't predict for sure whether or not Grabovski will be back (despite how much every Leafs fan will want him back) and whether or not Connolly could stay healthy. Actually, it's safe to say that Connolly will not stay healthy..,

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Move Bozak out too, I've lost faith in him. Grabovski is UFA and Connolly is broken. Still a lot of uncertainty at the center position in Leaf Land imo. The deal is a gamble (I still like Kadri) but you just can't predict for sure whether or not Grabovski will be back (despite how much every Leafs fan will want him back) and whether or not Connolly could stay healthy. Actually, it's safe to say that Connolly will not stay healthy..,
I see your point, but I think Bozak is suited for the 3rd line, and it seems that a lot the faith lost in Bozak is carry over from last year. Grabo, who knows man, Sometimes I think he is lock to be resigned but a lot of the time I think he is going to be dealt, because I could see Burke and co. not liking the idea of the that Tor second line only being productive when playing with eachother. I see a change coming there.

Agreed on Connolly, he has big time talent but can't stay healthy, I am just big on asset management and although I like Weiss a lot as a player, for that price, I just don't see how that puts Tor in any better position, it seems like a lateral move to me. kadri just feels like a player that we won't give a proper chance to and he will blossom somewhere else, and we will be kicking ourselves. I would love to have Steen right now ect....

Last edited by Blaylock38: 11-07-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Pepin le bref

Value looks ok but Florida is looking like a playoff team for the first time in a decade so there not looking to trade their number 1 center in his prime for futures.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
You really think a legit #1 centre will magically become available in the near future? All of this Spezza/Staal/Statsny talk to the Leafs is ridiculous. These are franchise players and the chance of Burke getting his hands on one of these guys is extremely low. If he could get Weiss for a package like this (no current players on the roster), then this make the Leafs instantly better and gives them a much better shot at meaningful playoff hockey.

You're right that Weiss isn't a legit #1, but I'd rather have him on the first line than Connolly or Bozak.
Did I say those names? No, I just feel it's not worth it to trade kadri, 2nd and franson for weiss (as do Florida prob). How about we develop our own players instead of trying to magically fix our problems with trading our prospects and picks?

Weiss is not a upgrade over connolly, what you going to do with connolly when he comes back? Pay him almost $5 million to play 3rd line? No other team will trade for him.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:19 PM
PhiladelphiaKessel
DontCrossthe****Line

Both teams say no. Toronto has spent too much time waiting on and developing kadri, id hate to see him get traded and put up a ppg in the near future..

PhiladelphiaKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:20 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
**** no...

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

at the TO fan responses. Not a chance! and when did Burke say no to Weiss for Kadri?

11-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Jake5

Florida has an (admittedly outside) chance at making the POs, can't see them doing any deals that weaken the team they've got for this season

Jake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Hell no. Why would we trade Kadri now? Makes zero sense. He is going to be a solid winger in this league, I wouldn't trade him straight up for Weiss.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
3.1 million. UFA in 2013.
no way then ... if it was a longer contract i'd do it

he would prob want 4-5 mill ... and at best he will be on our 2nd line in a couple years ...

XXXXX
Grabovski
XXXXX

Colborne will be one of those XXXXX's .... we would either need a good #1 (what Weiss is not) or a solid 3rd line defensive C (which @4-5 mill would be wayy too expensive)

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
where the **** is weiss gonna fit anyways.. we have enough 1b/2nd line centers

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Tarpit*

Quote:
Did I say those names? No, I just feel it's not worth it to trade kadri, 2nd and franson for weiss (as do Florida prob). How about we develop our own players instead of trying to magically fix our problems with trading our prospects and picks?

Weiss is not a upgrade over connolly, what you going to do with connolly when he comes back? Pay him almost $5 million to play 3rd line? No other team will trade for him.
Actually Weiss is a upgrade of Connolly, he's better offensively, defensively, FO, and less of a chance to be injured. Right now there's not much of a chance of getting Weiss with the Panther's playing well. If there was a offer you would have to take Franson out and replace him with Aulie and I don't think that is even enough.

Tarpit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

link? I find that hard to believe, maybe put it in context?

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote