HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Them All Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2011, 05:29 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Yes, that was part of it.

I also think that there was more to it. Chimmer had worn out his welcome. Not sure whether it was with Hitch, Howson or both and quite frankly I don't care. Jason Chimera, whose also on the downside of his career, being traded is not the reason this team sucks.
"Downside of his career" ??
He's got more goals this year than 98% of the Blue Jackets, is tied with Rick Nash for goals, and has more than Laich and Green.

Rather than HE wore out his welcome, let's be honest, Columbus wore HIM out. Does anybody honestly not believe that every former-Jacket isn't thrilled to be out of this mess of a franchise?

Last edited by JACKETfan: 11-09-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old
11-09-2011, 09:48 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
"Downside of his career" ??
He's got more goals this year than 98% of the Blue Jackets, is tied with Rick Nash for goals, and has more than Laich and Green.

Rather than HE wore out his welcome, let's be honest, Columbus wore HIM out. Does anybody honestly not believe that every former-Jacket isn't thrilled to be out of this mess of a franchise?
I won't go that far, but this squad definitely lacks the heart and passion that Chimera and Malhotra brought to that third line.

Old
11-09-2011, 05:19 PM
aDreamboat

Via @andystrickland twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/andystrickland...81420004118529

Quote:
Was told today not to be fooled by Craig Button's comments regarding #ColumbusBlue Jackets...He's let it be known he wants in the door #NHL
Just in case anybody cared. Personally, I hope he doesn't get "in the door" here.

Old
11-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

as i responded to that tweet....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old
11-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

I'd take Charlie Sheen as a replacement for Howson.

Old
11-10-2011, 07:17 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
I'd take Charlie Sheen as a replacement for Howson.
At least he says all the right things, and he knows something about "Winning"

Old
11-10-2011, 07:45 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
At least he says all the right things
Surely you jest.

Old
11-10-2011, 09:52 AM
EDM

The problem with replacing Howson is the problem that goes to the core of the mess that this franchise is in. Who is competent enough to make an intelligent selection of his replacement? Priest ????? ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, etc. MacJr. ??? Guffaw, guffaw, guffaw, guffaw. The problem with the franchise is the same since day one. The Mac family treats the franchise like an expensive hobby to play around with. Never, ever, never, ever have they considered getting an experienced, competent hockey guy who knows how to build a successful franchise to serve as team president and run the whole operation. We have had 2 team presidents: Doug MacLean and Mike Priest. Doesn't that say it all? Howson is irrelevant, Arniel is irrelevant. Fire either of them and you still have a bunch of circus clowns making the decisions about their replacements.

Old
11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
EDM

Let me add that I believe very strongly that Team President and General Manger are separate functions that should be handled by different persons. Checks and balances, you know.

Last edited by EDM: 11-10-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old
11-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

It is pretty obvious that Howson has botched the building of this team. And now, we have a circus of players going up and down, back and forth from Springy.

Carter, Prospel and Wiz were good moves, but relying on Mason, letting Hejda and Garon go, picking up injury risk Martinek, and over-paying young players that had brief success, have put this team in a huge bind, both skill wise, and cap wise. Plus, the defense needed to be seriously upgraded, but Wiz or no Wiz, has been decidedly worse.

I think that Howson needs to go, but I too am not a Button fan. We need a guy to come in here and make some shrewd moves to blow this thing up, and put a winner on the ice.

Old
11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
It is pretty obvious that Howson has botched the building of this team. And now, we have a circus of players going up and down, back and forth from Springy.

Carter, Prospel and Wiz were good moves, but relying on Mason, letting Hejda and Garon go, picking up injury risk Martinek, and over-paying young players that had brief success, have put this team in a huge bind, both skill wise, and cap wise. Plus, the defense needed to be seriously upgraded, but Wiz or no Wiz, has been decidedly worse.

I think that Howson needs to go, but I too am not a Button fan. We need a guy to come in here and make some shrewd moves to blow this thing up, and put a winner on the ice.
The problem with the constant callups and downs is that you never know which team is going to show up on a night by night basis the last two weeks, you don't want the young guys near the toxic atmosphere after a game like Toronto or Philly, but you want them to see it after a game like Detroit or Anaheim.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 11-10-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old
11-10-2011, 11:01 AM
EDM

But think of the frequent flyer miles that the young guys are accumulating.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:55 AM
blahblah

Quote:
letting Hejda ... go,
I know. We could have that same -12 with Hejda that the Avs have. I don't have much issue with your post, but let Hedja go quietly into the night like he should have.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I know. We could have that same -12 with Hejda that the Avs have. I don't have much issue with your post, but let Hedja go quietly into the night like he should have.
Your point is well taken, and maybe Hejda has indeed hit the wall, but Howson never adequately addressed the loss of our 2 shut-down men in Hejda and Klesla. I realize that Rusty was an injury machine, and Hejda was getting older, but was there really a good plan to replace them, flawed as they may have been.

We all hoped Martinek would somehow be different this year, but sadly, it turns out, he was just one hit away from another possibly career ending concussion. We have some future potential in the pipe-line, but once again we are forced to rush guys up.

Plan A turns out to have been terribly flawed, and there apparently isn't any plan B.

I have intentionally left Dex out of this debate since we have yet to see how he can perform.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
aDreamboat

Quote:
we have a circus of players going up and down, back and forth from Springy.
Hence the name "Springy". Yuk Yuk

Old
11-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Matt

And he just added another bottom six forward to the mix.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:39 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Your point is well taken, and maybe Hejda has indeed hit the wall, but Howson never adequately addressed the loss of our 2 shut-down men in Hejda and Klesla. I realize that Rusty was an injury machine, and Hejda was getting older, but was there really a good plan to replace them, flawed as they may have been.

We all hoped Martinek would somehow be different this year, but sadly, it turns out, he was just one hit away from another possibly career ending concussion. We have some future potential in the pipe-line, but once again we are forced to rush guys up.

Plan A turns out to have been terribly flawed, and there apparently isn't any plan B.

I have intentionally left Dex out of this debate since we have yet to see how he can perform.
This is a good clarification, Dr, because I think inserting the names of past players like Hejda clouds the issue - it's not Hejda we miss, it's the role he played for a period of time that is unfilled. For Rusty, he never was able to perform the role we hoped he would fill, so keeping him or getting him back doesn't help, either. The CBJ reminds me of the Indians of the '70s - lead the league in hitting but have no pitching, then trade hitting for pitching and have no hitting. So, we finally add what we think are going to be a#1 center and top pairing defenseman, but we have no goalie, no physical stay at home defensemen, and no secondary scoring. As has been said, there appears to be no identity or Grand Plan, nothing coherent to follow to success. Crap thrown at the wall in hopes it'll look like art.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
This is a good clarification, Dr, because I think inserting the names of past players like Hejda clouds the issue - it's not Hejda we miss, it's the role he played for a period of time that is unfilled. For Rusty, he never was able to perform the role we hoped he would fill, so keeping him or getting him back doesn't help, either. The CBJ reminds me of the Indians of the '70s - lead the league in hitting but have no pitching, then trade hitting for pitching and have no hitting. So, we finally add what we think are going to be a#1 center and top pairing defenseman, but we have no goalie, no physical stay at home defensemen, and no secondary scoring. As has been said, there appears to be no identity or Grand Plan, nothing coherent to follow to success. Crap thrown at the wall in hopes it'll look like art.
I think we were expecting a collective 'better' out of Methot, Russell, and Clitsome.
In theory, our young guys should improve every year.
In theory.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:08 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think we were expecting a collective 'better' out of Methot, Russell, and Clitsome.
In theory.
Absolutely, Jf, it's clear that everything that could have gone wrong, has. And that it all took place at the start of what many of us, myself included, expected to be a much better season has made it all the worse! Had we gotten off to the same start as last season, then gone 2-11-1, we'd be pissed, of course, and whining about "the same old Jackets," but chances are we wouldn't be eight games out of 14th place.

Old
11-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
In theory.
Agreed. Those three are so inconsistent. You never know which one is going to show up on any given night.

I know a lot of people have had Methot man crushes, but the guy never has impressed me that much. Since he has been a regular here, he seems to always play a season in thirds. 1/3=great, 1/3=average, and 1/3=poor. If he were consistently good I would be a very happy camper.

Old
11-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Good call.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:27 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
In theory.
I might by the other two, but Russell?

Seriously, Russ has been in the league long enough that you know what you are getting. There's not going to be a sudden quantum leap and his skill and a growth spurt is certainly out of the question.

Old
11-10-2011, 03:59 PM
EDM

I agree. I don't know how anyone could reasonably expect improvement out of Russell. Further deterioration? Yes. Improvement ??? No way.

Old
11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I might by the other two, but Russell?

Seriously, Russ has been in the league long enough that you know what you are getting. There's not going to be a sudden quantum leap and his skill and a growth spurt is certainly out of the question.
Methot and Clitsome have actually SHOWN some improvement year-to-year. Russell? Not so much.

Old
11-11-2011, 07:11 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

In the midst of a decent tirade on the lack of direction Howson has taken, Arace has to ruin it by bringing in, yet again, his presonal angst over the failure to hire Dineen. It's not so much that he's wrong, Dineen might have turned out better (could he possibly have been worse?), but hearing it from Arace one more time just makes me sick. It's as if he's saying, "had they only listened to me and picked my choice for HC, all would have been fine." Yeah, right, that's all that was needed and you were in perfect position to see it, Mike. **** about it, Arace, it's old and tired. Dineen didn't get the job and Arniel did. You bringing it up at every opportunity is just annoying and self-serving.

Closed Thread