HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Payne fired - Ken Hitchcock new coach

Old
11-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Usual Suspect

vCash: 500
How is hiring Hitchcock a downgrade? Because he didn't do well in that sorry ass Columbus franchise? We have a young team, but they aren't rookies anymore. This team has been going nowhere under Payne and this more was going to happen eventually with the way this team has been playing.

Usual Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:21 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Is there a reason for downgrading? Essentially that is what people with that line of thought think.
Hitchcock is a proven NHL coach and Payne is not. Hitchcock was with a Columbus team that was not very good. This is not a downgrade.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Alklha

I really don't like this move. I'm not a huge fan of Payne, but talk that the team was doing nothing well is complete crap. We have been one of the best teams 5-on-5 in the League, so they must have been doing something right.

We all know that the issue has been special teams. Considering our record, I don't think 13 games is very fair to solve the problem. Not talking half a season, but 20-25 games without improvement would have been the right time to change things.

I think it is safe to say that our PK was only going to get better, but bringing in Hitch will probably see a quicker improvement. The question is whether we will continue how we have been playing 5-on-5.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:44 PM
TerminatorBlue

Should have locked up Perron,Stewart, and Oshie before hiring Hitchcock. Army has balls that is for sure.

I am not the biggest fan of Hitchcock but if he can get us winning and into the playoffs my opinion will change pretty fast. I will tell you this, things are going to change one way or the other... either we start winning or more big trades are coming.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:50 PM
simon in canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
Why I'm not worried:

1. The young players on this team are older, and are now important cogs. Hitchcock will use them.

2. The PK will improve. Almost every forward and defenseman on this roster can effectively PK, and Hitchcock is known for defensively responsible hockey.

3. The offensive talent from the defense will provide Hitchcock the ability to have a transition game, while having a defense-oriented playing style.

4. The PP will improve, because anything is better than what's going on right now.
This, exactly. I really don't understand why some fans are dismayed at the prospect of defensively responsible hockey. Defense wins championships. These guys need a system,and they need to understand that they have no choice but to adhere to it. Hitchcock is the perfect guy to implement such a system. I am particularly interested in how he handles Pietrangelo. Hitchcock was impressed with our young defenseman in the WJC and had some good things to say about him. Perhaps he can turn Alex into a complete two way hockey player, and help him achieve the greatness that was projected of him.

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Blues0307

I don't like this move at all. This is the Andy Murray days all over again. Hitchcock seems to not be able to relate to young players. I feel he and Oshie are gonna have a tough time sleddin'...and if Perron and Murray had such a tough time getting along, that doesn't speak well of this move either. I can't believe they did this.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:58 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Payne wasn't the problem, but Halak was? The problem was everything. Payne's job is to get his players to play and he failed at that.
Payne was working in the right direction. Payne isn't responsible for signing Halak but don't think for a moment there hasn't been pressures to play him even though Elliott has outplayed him in every facet of the game this season.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:00 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
Should have locked up Perron,Stewart, and Oshie before hiring Hitchcock. Army has balls that is for sure.

I am not the biggest fan of Hitchcock but if he can get us winning and into the playoffs my opinion will change pretty fast. I will tell you this, things are going to change one way or the other... either we start winning or more big trades are coming.
His first whipping boy will be Berglund, mark my words.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:00 PM
HooliganX2

Terrible move by Armstrong. I really do not agree with this at all. I was in favor of giving Payne more time. I prefer Payne to Hitchcock every time. Honestly I am ready for a new GM now. This will be a boring team to watch.

I won't be watching the Blues until Hitchcock is gone. I have a feeling a lot of our offensively talented players won't want to stay with this team under Hitchcock. I see all of our young talent leaving as soon as they can. I doubt we see Tarasenko on the Blues anytime soon now.

I see another rebuild after some poor years under Hitchcock in our future.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:01 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
I don't like this move at all. This is the Andy Murray days all over again. Hitchcock seems to not be able to relate to young players. I feel he and Oshie are gonna have a tough time sleddin'...and if Perron and Murray had such a tough time getting along, that doesn't speak well of this move either. I can't believe they did this.
Murray had no problem using Oshie in situations that demanded a lot of responsibility. He was one of Murray's go to guys on 5 on 3 PK's from nearly day one of his rookie year for example. I believe we fans make a bigger deal out of the Perron-Murray relationship than those two ever did.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:05 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Murray had no problem using Oshie in situations that demanded a lot of responsibility. He was one of Murray's go to guys on 5 on 3 PK's from nearly day one of his rookie year for example. I believe we fans make a bigger deal out of the Perron-Murray relationship than those two ever did.
Murray will seem like a laid back free spirit of a coach compared to Hitchcock........

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:11 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

Awful.

Hitchcock? Why do we want him here? Why do we want a defense-first system when our best talent is at forward? Why do we want a coach who has never related to young talent when that's mostly what our line-up is? Why do we want a coach who's only success came in the dead puck era?

Hitchcock is the wrong answer. Andy Murray was incompetent, but I do believe that he was trying to develop the youth. Ken Hitchcock probably doesn't give two ***** about youth movements.

What more is Payne supposed to do with a line-up that is half injured? here's an idea Front Office... if you wanted results, maybe you should have gotten some talent off of Free Agency. Arnott and Langenbruner are great depth, but they're not game changers anymore.

This is the worst move the Blues' front office has made since the lockout.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:12 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
Payne was working in the right direction. Payne isn't responsible for signing Halak but don't think for a moment there hasn't been pressures to play him even though Elliott has outplayed him in every facet of the game this season.
Halak played well against Minnesota and Edmonton has a very good offense and our defense was terrible. Elliot has gotten plenty of starts.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
His first whipping boy will be Berglund, mark my words.
Has Berglund done anything this year to not deserve it?

Old
11-06-2011, 11:20 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Then who would you rather have than Hitchcock? If Payne isn't the answer, then there is no reason keeping him on as head coach.
I'd suggest Kirk Muller... but being a Preds fan (that incidentally was a HUGE Blues fan growing up) I'd rather see him tutor our kids at Milwaukee...

Hitch was horrible in C-Bus and they did spend a few bucks on UFA's there; but figure that this move was 'made' by the new master. I'd be pissed right now if I were still a Blues fan... BTW Oshie would look good in gold and we have a few goalies that are probably pretty available now that Peks is locked up for the next 7... How about Lindback and Klein for Oshie?

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:22 PM
frankielax

I don't buy in to the Hitchcock doesn't like kids stuff. That was in Columbus, their youth, nor their team, has been very good for quite a while. He really has no choice but to use the players currently in place as they are almost all young.

Also, Tarasenko is absolutely nothing like Filatov at all so his coming over next year isn't affected. I know there are plenty of preconceived ideas about how Hitch will be, but he wouldn't be the first coach to fail somewhere and then move on to adapt and improve. I'm not overly ecited about the move, but i'll give it time.

Plus lets be honest... the youth wasn't exactly progressing at an accelerated rate under Payne either.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Strickland just tweeted that Payne might not be out of the organization just yet, story just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser...

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:25 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

First, I like Payne. I would liked to have seen him get more of a chance to pull the team together, but I am not in a management position. I seriously doubt this was a "you didn't win enough" thing, so whatever management saw behind the scenes is something I cannot guess about.

Second, Hitchcock is a very good coach. I think he kept Columbus from being absolutely wretched most years. We'll have to see how he handles a talented young team post-lockout, but his past successes are inarguable. Honestly, I think there are just a few great coaches in the league, the main one is Barry Trotz. There are a few bad coaches and a few young ones who are learning, but other than the outliers, it's all about fit. The question is, will Hitchcock be a good fit?

And that's just a matter of time. We'll wait, we'll see. When Kitchen was replaced with Murray, it was exciting to see an experienced, likeable guy take the helm. The team was terrible and had nowhere to go but up. When Payne took over from Murray, that was exciting because Murray seemed to have lost the team and couldn't adapt. Now, it's not exciting. You just shrug, hope, and wait to see if it was a good call.

Last edited by rumrokh: 11-07-2011 at 12:33 AM.
rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Jzk

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Strickland just tweeted that Payne might not be out of the organization just yet, story just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser...
The wording in a few of the articles made it seem like he wasn't let go just yet. So who knows.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:28 PM
EOM

I'm not sure if this is a good move, but I see why they did it. If they waited until halfway through the season to shake up the team (like when they fired Murray) there isn't enough time to make up the points and reach the playoffs. Plus there's the Dallas connection.

Like others, I'm a little skeptical that Hitchcock is the answer. But there's no denying the team needed a shakeup.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:49 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
jprutherford Jeremy Rutherford
Incoming Blues' ownership group, led by Matthew Hulsizer, was aware of coaching change and put the decision in the hands of Armstrong.
1 minute ago
Interesting

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:53 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Interesting
I'm glad they're not interested in meddling with the hockey decisions (at least not yet).

Old
11-06-2011, 11:55 PM
puckheaded1

Here's a novel idea, you change players, change head coaches, and the team still fails at the same simple tasks, then what might be the issue? Maybe inferior and incapable assistant coaches? Long past time for the Blues to rid themselves of the failed efforts of Bennet and Shaw. ANd Hirsch seems to be failing with the goalies, so maybe a clean sweep is on order.

puckheaded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:59 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckheaded1 View Post
Here's a novel idea, you change players, change head coaches, and the team still fails at the same simple tasks, then what might be the issue? Maybe inferior and incapable assistant coaches? Long past time for the Blues to rid themselves of the failed efforts of Bennet and Shaw. ANd Hirsch seems to be failing with the goalies, so maybe a clean sweep is on order.
I agree with this.

Old
11-07-2011, 12:04 AM
slickfox007

Quote:
Halak played well against Minnesota and Edmonton has a very good offense and our defense was terrible. Elliot has gotten plenty of starts.
hahhahahahhaha....yea halak played real well giving up 4 goals and then 2 goals to probably the worst offense in the league. halak doesnt deserve any starts the way elliott is playing unless he needs a breather.

slickfox007 is offline   Reply With Quote