HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitchcock to Coach St. Louis

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
  #76
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I agree with both of you.
As I said in another thread, the Jackets took even the simple joy of heads rolling out of a 2-11-1 start.

I'll be very curious to see what Hitch does with this different group of guys. Looking over that roster, he has some definite advantages over this roster. He also has a couple of really big challenges.

Your highest paid player plays like 40 games a year. Your 3.75 million goalie is just about as bad as Mason right now.

However, I think he has a much better group of defense to work with and some real potential in the top six. He should be able to do some good things with that team.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:59 AM
  #77
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,682
vCash: 500
I wish Hitchcock well in St. Louis. I don't know if he is the answer there or would have been the answer here either.

I don't know the Blues well enough to know whether or not something was wrong there.

The Jackets need a steadying influence, then a critical eye at the roster and a commitment to make the needed changes.

Watching them play looks like 18 guys having a panic attack. I'm not sure Hitchcock could do either of the jobs the CBJ need done.

If the Blues have a roster that can grind, play sound defense and generate their offense through counter-attack after opponents' errors, he can improve them.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:04 AM
  #78
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rt. 29 in Melonville
Posts: 2,087
vCash: 500
I'm glad Hitch is gone. I would have seriously considered cutting ties with the Jackets had they put him back behind the bench and hired Craig Button as the GM, as was alluded to by Portzline last weekend.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:20 AM
  #79
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,727
vCash: 500
In CBJ land, there are quite a few of us that can't let the only coach that took us to the playoffs leave gracefully without taking parting shots.

Bravo. Stay classy Columbus.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:28 AM
  #80
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
In CBJ land, there are quite a few of us that can't let the only coach that took us to the playoffs leave gracefully without taking parting shots.

Bravo. Stay classy Columbus.
But it'll be OK to bash that same squad's GM when he leaves? Or when the goalie whose magical play made the run to the playoffs possible is sent packing? Or will there be a certain decorum to be enforced there as well?

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM
  #81
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,035
vCash: 500
The thing we miss most from Hitch is this: He's been the only authoritative voice this franchise has had since we fired XGMDM. Howson and Priest rarely say anything. Arniel doesn't have nearly the authority Hitchcock has/had. Nash speaks in worn-out cliches and without passion. There's nobody left to connect with the public.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
  #82
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
But it'll be OK to bash that same squad's GM when he leaves? Or when the goalie whose magical play made the run to the playoffs possible is sent packing? Or will there be a certain decorum to be enforced there as well?
There is a distinct difference from when Hitch was fired to now. I find no issue with the "Ding done with witch is dead" situation when it arises. I do have an issue with the continued vitriol approaching two years after he was terminated. I'm too bored to look, but I'm not sure I even jumped on people (posters) when they were happy he was fired, other than maybe to say it was a mistake.

Let the guy go in peace. Seriously. I didn't jump on Dougie until he started taking shots at the org.

I will, of course, express relief if the Scott's are ever relieved. However, that will end quickly and from that point on I won't wait for the enjoyment of bashing them more or hoping they fail elsewhere. Let's remember I have praised Howson for the couple of good moves he made during the playoff run. Problem I had is that he didn't follow up and continue to improve the team, not to mention a couple of other things I will not speak of until it doesn't matter any more.

It's called moving on DSL.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
  #83
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
There is a distinct difference from when Hitch was fired to now. I find no issue with the "Ding done with witch is dead" situation when it arises. I do have an issue with the continued vitriol approaching two years after he was terminated. I'm too bored to look, but I'm not sure I even jumped on people (posters) when they were happy he was fired, other than maybe to say it was a mistake.

Let the guy go in peace. Seriously. I didn't jump on Dougie until he started taking shots at the org.

I will, of course, express relief if the Scott's are ever relieved. However, that will end quickly and from that point on I won't wait for the enjoyment of bashing them more or hoping they fail elsewhere. Let's remember I have praised Howson for the couple of good moves he made during the playoff run. Problem I had is that he didn't follow up and continue to improve the team, not to mention a couple of other things I will not speak of until it doesn't matter any more.

It's called moving on DSL.
Fair enough. Good post. No one has advocated "moving on" more than I.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:06 AM
  #84
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Good to see we will not be going backward to the Hitch era. Move forward, wherever that may be. But move forward.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:24 AM
  #85
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
There is a distinct difference from when Hitch was fired to now. I find no issue with the "Ding done with witch is dead" situation when it arises. I do have an issue with the continued vitriol approaching two years after he was terminated. I'm too bored to look, but I'm not sure I even jumped on people (posters) when they were happy he was fired, other than maybe to say it was a mistake.

Let the guy go in peace. Seriously. I didn't jump on Dougie until he started taking shots at the org.

I will, of course, express relief if the Scott's are ever relieved. However, that will end quickly and from that point on I won't wait for the enjoyment of bashing them more or hoping they fail elsewhere. Let's remember I have praised Howson for the couple of good moves he made during the playoff run. Problem I had is that he didn't follow up and continue to improve the team, not to mention a couple of other things I will not speak of until it doesn't matter any more.

It's called moving on DSL.
I've gotta agree for the most part. I don't think firing Hitch was the wrong move and I will continue to take issue with anyone who wants to suggest otherwise--the team was losing and part of the responsibility falls to the coach.

With that said, I've got no personal beef with Hitchcock. I wished him luck immediately after he was fired and I wish him luck now...albeit only to a point since the Blues are in the same division, etc.

As an added bonus, he's off our books.

The one thing that concerns me? The guy has spent the better part of the last few months detailing every weakness with this team. To the extent he blames Howson and Co. for his failure in Columbus, the games against the Jackets are going to mean something to him and after last year's games, there is already a bit of emotion between the two teams. He's going to have a huge advantage going into games against the Jackets. In other words, I won't be the least bit surprised if the win against Detroit is our only in-division win of the season.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
  #86
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Good to see we will not be going backward to the Hitch era. Move forward, wherever that may be. But move forward.
Forward isn't always progress.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:04 AM
  #87
Ar-too
Registered User
 
Ar-too's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 10,349
vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Forward isn't always progress.
Especially when both defenseman are pinching in and they leave the puck behind.... oh crap. We just gave up another odd man rush.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:11 AM
  #88
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,727
vCash: 500
People around the NHL are slowly coming to the realization that Hitch didn't want this job back. We've got some smart ones out there.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
  #89
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Especially when both defenseman are pinching in and they leave the puck behind.... oh crap. We just gave up another odd man rush.
As I heard from a very wise person... "When you are giving up odd man rushes to a tired team (Toronto), you are just asking for trouble". At that point there was some return fodder about how it was all Mason's fault.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:28 AM
  #90
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,250
vCash: 500
Bottom Line: This is good news for Columbus.

While I was never a fan of hitch hockey and we can debate all day wheather the team quit on him or not, having him off the payroll takes away an excuse that Priest and Howson had to not make changes elsewhere.

No ill feelings towards the big guy, didn't always like how he handled business here, but no problems with him as a person.

The only problem I see is that this organization now has no possible "dissenting" opinion on the status quo....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
  #91
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,481
vCash: 500
At least Hithcock isn't hovering around like an obese vulture. That was classless, and unfair to Arniel.

If there are changes made but Howson and Priest survive, nothing's going to change.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:44 AM
  #92
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Bottom Line: This is good news for Columbus.

While I was never a fan of hitch hockey and we can debate all day wheather the team quit on him or not, having him off the payroll takes away an excuse that Priest and Howson had to not make changes elsewhere.

No ill feelings towards the big guy, didn't always like how he handled business here, but no problems with him as a person.

The only problem I see is that this organization now has no possible "dissenting" opinion on the status quo....
Rodney Dangerfield has been ousted from the Bushwood (er, CBJ) Country Club. The role of the psychotic greenskeeper is now being played by Cody Bass.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:51 AM
  #93
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Bottom Line: This is good news for Columbus.

While I was never a fan of hitch hockey and we can debate all day wheather the team quit on him or not, having him off the payroll takes away an excuse that Priest and Howson had to not make changes elsewhere.

No ill feelings towards the big guy, didn't always like how he handled business here, but no problems with him as a person.

The only problem I see is that this organization now has no possible "dissenting" opinion on the status quo....
Good news? Only in that we got his contract off the books. Other than that there is nothing positive that came out of this for the franchise.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:58 AM
  #94
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
At least Hithcock isn't hovering around like an obese vulture. That was classless, and unfair to Arniel.

If there are changes made but Howson and Priest survive, nothing's going to change.
What a load of crap.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:07 PM
  #95
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
I disagree that there is no good news. The good news is that this eliminates an "easy out" for Priest. No Priest can't just fire Arniel and insert Hitch. Priest would actually have to go out and find a replacement for Arniel, something Priest is totally incompetent to do. The more that circumstances combine to eliminate the "fantasy hockey" type of quick solutions, the more it may force the ownership to to finally look directly at the compilation of bozos that have been put in charge of this franchise. Firing Arniel and reinstating Hitch was too easy of a way out of it for Priest and the other clowns.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:08 PM
  #96
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
What a load of crap.
Quantify.

I'm not defending Arniel. I just think Hitchcock could've waited til the corpse was cold. What does having him at practices accomplish, other than to add stress to the guy with an axe over his head?


Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 11-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.
kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:17 PM
  #97
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller
 
DJAnimosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Wales
Posts: 13,665
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I disagree that there is no good news. The good news is that this eliminates an "easy out" for Priest. No Priest can't just fire Arniel and insert Hitch. Priest would actually have to go out and find a replacement for Arniel, something Priest is totally incompetent to do. The more that circumstances combine to eliminate the "fantasy hockey" type of quick solutions, the more it may force the ownership to to finally look directly at the compilation of bozos that have been put in charge of this franchise. Firing Arniel and reinstating Hitch was too easy of a way out of it for Priest and the other clowns.
But how do you feel about entrusting Priest with handling anything more than the easy way out?

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
  #98
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
But how do you feel about entrusting Priest with handling anything more than the easy way out?
which is the huge problem. It's up to Mac to make changes and I wonder if he knows where to start. This is falling squarely on the shoulders of the top-most person. Would he go around Priest and approach Howson for suggestions on a Priest replacement? Seems unlikely, given the ramifications of what that would mean to Howson himself.

One would hope the owner has some kind of mechanism or idea of how to go about replacing the president, but that's only a logical assumption.

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
  #99
Socks
SharkCat Knows
 
Socks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: He Knows
Country: United States
Posts: 6,584
vCash: 500
So St. Louis goes ahead and replaces its leaking dam. Meanwhile we just plug one of the many holes by bringing Cam back up and sending Giroux down. Typical.

<--- Is becoming bitter.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:34 PM
  #100
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Quantify.

I'm not defending Arniel. I just think Hitchcock could've waited til the corpse was cold. What does having him at practices accomplish, other than to add stress to the guy with an axe over his head?
It was the organization's idea to assign those duties to Hitchcock. He is drawing a salary, and I don't think he was in a position to tell those paying him what he would and wouldn't do for his pay.

Sure, it's possible Arniel felt a little pressure with the arrangement, but that's not really Hitch's problem.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.