HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitchcock to Coach St. Louis

Old
11-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I disagree that there is no good news. The good news is that this eliminates an "easy out" for Priest. No Priest can't just fire Arniel and insert Hitch. Priest would actually have to go out and find a replacement for Arniel, something Priest is totally incompetent to do. The more that circumstances combine to eliminate the "fantasy hockey" type of quick solutions, the more it may force the ownership to to finally look directly at the compilation of bozos that have been put in charge of this franchise. Firing Arniel and reinstating Hitch was too easy of a way out of it for Priest and the other clowns.
Good point. Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
But how do you feel about entrusting Priest with handling anything more than the easy way out?
Few have any confidence in him. But everyone wants something done. This, as david says below, is a dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
which is the huge problem. It's up to Mac to make changes and I wonder if he knows where to start. This is falling squarely on the shoulders of the top-most person. Would he go around Priest and approach Howson for suggestions on a Priest replacement? Seems unlikely, given the ramifications of what that would mean to Howson himself.

One would hope the owner has some kind of mechanism or idea of how to go about replacing the president, but that's only a logical assumption.
Right.

Old
11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Forward isn't always progress.
But backward is incredibly overrated and not any better than present.

Glad to see Hitch go to a divisional rival that's a good hockey market. They'll prob. make it out of the first round this season. And in 3 years, when Yakupov comes into his own, they'll start to tune him out and we can pick up 2 easy points against them every time. Not to mention that we get more nights of a drunken Bob pining away for another ex-Jacket in the Around Hockey thread.

11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Elliotte Friedman's take:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Interesting that he mentions that Armstrong didn't call to ask permission until Sunday. So, it appears the deal went down with a signed contract very quickly.

Edit: Hit the post button before finishing...

This is a beauty quote from the same article, which again seems to highlight the problems in CBJ front office:

"Second, hopefully every organization, including the Blue Jackets, looks back at what happened in Columbus the last couple of weeks and says, "That's not going to happen again." A fired coach should never be around as much as Hitchcock was. (A friend of Hitchcock's called me after Mike Milbury blasted him on the Hotstove and said ownership wanted him at practices and games in a consultant-type role.) Whatever the case, it was a distraction. An enormous one. In the future, both the coach and the team should set it up this way: Have him scout. Have him write reports on opponents or potential trade/free agency prospects. Have him available by phone if you need to ask a question. But don't have him at the rink -- not fair to incumbent head coach Scott Arniel, to Hitchcock, to Howson, to anyone."

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Glad to see Hitch go to a divisional rival that's a good hockey market. They'll prob. make it out of the first round this season. And in 3 years, when Yakupov comes into his own, they'll start to tune him out and we can pick up 2 easy points against them every time. Not to mention that we get more nights of a drunken Bob pining away for another ex-Jacket in the Around Hockey thread.
I don't think it will take 3 years. The Blues will benefit from a "new coach bounce" and Hitch's structure and presence initially, but it's almost inevitable how this ends.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:51 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Elliotte Friedman's take:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Interesting that he mentions that Armstrong didn't call to ask permission until Sunday. So, it appears the deal went down with a signed contract very quickly.

Edit: Hit the post button before finishing...

This is a beauty quote from the same article, which again seems to highlight the problems in CBJ front office:

"Second, hopefully every organization, including the Blue Jackets, looks back at what happened in Columbus the last couple of weeks and says, "That's not going to happen again." A fired coach should never be around as much as Hitchcock was. (A friend of Hitchcock's called me after Mike Milbury blasted him on the Hotstove and said ownership wanted him at practices and games in a consultant-type role.) Whatever the case, it was a distraction. An enormous one. In the future, both the coach and the team should set it up this way: Have him scout. Have him write reports on opponents or potential trade/free agency prospects. Have him available by phone if you need to ask a question. But don't have him at the rink -- not fair to incumbent head coach Scott Arniel, to Hitchcock, to Howson, to anyone."
That's a good read and a good use of hindsight... leading me to ask, exactly how much does ownership meddle in the operation of this team?

Old
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
That's a good read and a good use of hindsight... leading me to ask, exactly how much does ownership meddle in the operation of this team?
Another shot at Priest, therefore another shot at Columbus....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:56 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Quantify.

I'm not defending Arniel. I just think Hitchcock could've waited til the corpse was cold. What does having him at practices accomplish, other than to add stress to the guy with an axe over his head?
Did it ever dawn on you that Hitch might have been asked to be there?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:58 AM
blahblah

Quote:
I disagree that there is no good news. The good news is that this eliminates an "easy out" for Priest.
Priest didn't have any intention of firing Arniel or Howson, at least not yet.

Old
11-07-2011, 12:01 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I don't think it will take 3 years. The Blues will benefit from a "new coach bounce" and Hitch's structure and presence initially, but it's almost inevitable how this ends.
The migraines that come from this type of posting is quite painful.

Old
11-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Priest didn't have any intention of firing Arniel or Howson, at least not yet.
we don't know that...its possible he's been lining his ducks up in a row for the last week and making sure that everything is done right....perhaps...i mean i don't buy this to be the case, but its possible..just as much as he doesn't "have any intention of firing Arniel or Howson"

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:11 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
we don't know that...
I have no issues with the definitive method in which I presented that.

Old
11-07-2011, 12:22 PM
EDM

Of course, it is a dilemma. But it is time for the chickens to come home to roost on the persons who are really responsible for the mess that this franchise is: the McConnell family. I know it is sacrilege to speak harshly of the McConnell family because JMac brought the franchise here. But the fact is that once he got the franchise, virtually everything JMac did and now JMacJr., is rank incompetence. I agree that it is a complete joke to have Priest do a search for a new GM or HC. But yet, the Mac family made Priest the president of the hockey team based upon his in-depth experience as an accountant for a steel mill and of course due to his personal loyalty to the Mac family. After all, who needs competence in a chief executive when you can have a loyal doofus instead.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Interesting that St Louis canned their coach because they were "not satisfied with a 6-7 start." The Jackets would be tickled pink with such a start. Perhaps that the difference between having a hockey guy in charge (Davidson) and having an accountant (Priest).

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:58 PM
EDM

Exactly !!!!!

Does Priest know that 2-9-1 (or whatever we are) is a bad start?

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Count the Cash
Goalie Depth

Quote:
Exactly !!!!!

Does Priest know that 2-9-1 (or whatever we are) is a bad start?
Make that 2-11-1. With the way we are 'playing' and the upcoming schedule, I see us doing no better than 2-8 for the remainder of November.

Priest/Howson will probably spin this as an improvement.

Count the Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:02 PM
leesmith
Still in.

We need a hockey guy that's passionate and vocal - either as President, Sr VP of Operations or as GM - to articulate who we are and why fans should feel they're not going to be duped yet again. That's one of the very few good things XGMDM brought to the table.

Old
11-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Seedtype

Quote:
We need a hockey guy that's passionate and vocal - either as President, Sr VP of Operations or as GM - to articulate who we are and why fans should feel they're not going to be duped yet again. That's one of the very few good things XGMDM brought to the table.
I agree.
Do you think Ron Hextall could be that guy? (apparently there has been rumors he could be next GM)

Seedtype is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:47 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtype View Post
I agree.
Do you think Ron Hextall could be that guy? (apparently there has been rumors he could be next GM)
I don't know. I've never heard him speak since he retired. If he manages like he played, he'll definitely have the passion.

Capn, you live in that market. Can Hex string two sentences together effectively?

Old
11-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

It's hard not too, they are everywhere in the NHL except Columbus! As for Hitchcock, good luck to him, it will be fun seeing how he does with Halak and the rest of the youth there...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Matt Foley
Meh

Quote:
Can Hex string two sentences together effectively?
Judge for yourself (starting at the 0:48 mark)...

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Judge for yourself (starting at the 0:48 mark)...

yikes. Public speaking definitely not his strong point. I think he'd have trouble putting lipstick on this pig. Not necessarily a bad thing around here after the likes of XGMDM and Howson. Gotta believe our poor showing in Philly had something to do with St. Louis pulling the trigger so fast. A race for Coach Hitchcock

Last edited by BJfan: 11-07-2011 at 05:58 PM.
BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
What's needed is an organization with a management team that know what they are doing, in other words, experienced. Ownership gets a slight pass as they hire and pay people to run the team but to some degree they are implicated in the success or failure of the team as well.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:11 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
I don't know. I've never heard him speak since he retired. If he manages like he played, he'll definitely have the passion.

Capn, you live in that market. Can Hex string two sentences together effectively?
I'm not sure about how good he is at PR, but my view is that a good President (i.e. not named Priest) could handle that and leave the next GM to do the hard work.

I do know that Hextall has long been considered a guy who would eventually make a good GM, with some Kings fans even pining for him over Lombardi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count the Cash View Post
Make that 2-11-1. With the way we are 'playing' and the upcoming schedule, I see us doing no better than 2-8 for the remainder of November.

Priest/Howson will probably spin this as an improvement.
Funny, but I looked at the schedule and came to the same conclusion.

Bigger problem--zero wins on the road to this point. That's a sign of a team with matchup issues.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfan View Post
Gotta believe our poor showing in Philly had something to do with St. Louis pulling the trigger so fast. A race for Coach Hitchcock
Why would anyone think that? We had to give permission to talk to Hitch. If we wanted him we could have said no.

Old
11-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 594
Quote:
Why would anyone think that? We had to give permission to talk to Hitch. If we wanted him we could have said no.
And as I understand it, the deal didn't go down until Sunday, much later than the game on Saturday

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote