HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitchcock to Coach St. Louis

Old
11-07-2011, 07:24 PM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Why would anyone think that? We had to give permission to talk to Hitch. If we wanted him we could have said no.
A team playing poorly and goes 2-11-1 to start the season in a head coach's second season will look to replace the head coach at some point if the poor trend continues. That decision hasn't been made yet but naming Hitch interim coach would be the easiest way to replace Arniel. No reason to hold Hitch as a back up plan on the payroll if you're still undecided as to whether or not your going to making that change. St. Louis obviously wanted Hitch and they had to see getting him as a limited time opportunity.

BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Midg30
Rookie User

Hitch

Hitch is still on the books we still have to pay him the rest of the year.

Midg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midg30 View Post
Hitch is still on the books we still have to pay him the rest of the year.
nope...St Louis is paying his contract

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Midg30
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
nope...St Louis is paying his contract
St Louis is paying him there own contract money, and we are paying him the rest of this year because he was still under contract. Its the same as if we was to buy out a player's contract. I thought the same thing untill NHL live talked about it today.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
St Louis is paying him there own contract money, and we are paying him the rest of this year because he was still under contract. Its the same as if we was to buy out a player's contract. I thought the same thing untill NHL live talked about it today.
Not doubting your view of NHL live but is there a link? Why would Hitch still get paid by the Jackets? If I was Priest I would have discussed that issue with all parties before granting SL permission to speak with Hitchcock.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1000
Quote:
That is odd because on twitter:

@DarrenDreger reports #Blues picked up final year on Hitchcock's contract ($1.33 million) and added one year to deal

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Also note this final paragraph in the Globe and Mail:

In the end, the Jackets get the rest of Hitchcock’s contract off the books and he goes to St. Louis, where he has a long history with Blues GM Doug Armstrong (both worked for the Dallas Stars).

Old
11-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Midg30
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Also note this final paragraph in the Globe and Mail:

In the end, the Jackets get the rest of Hitchcock’s contract off the books and he goes to St. Louis, where he has a long history with Blues GM Doug Armstrong (both worked for the Dallas Stars).
They could be wrong on there also as refering to NHL Live. Because like I said a little bit ago I thought the same way as you guys do. The only thing strange about that is if they picked it up from today on or yesterday on that would put them at a year and half under contract didnt know that was possible.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i wouldn't be shocked that EJ Hradek got something wrong...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
They could be wrong on there also as refering to NHL Live. Because like I said a little bit ago I thought the same way as you guys do. The only thing strange about that is if they picked it up from today on or yesterday on that would put them at a year and half under contract didnt know that was possible.
Just reporting from two sources who agree

I heard the same on Sirius XM today, so that would make three sources who would say that the Blues picked up the contract. Maybe someone else can sort it all out

Old
11-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Midg30
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i wouldn't be shocked that EJ Hradek got something wrong...
Very true point there!

Old
11-07-2011, 09:17 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfan View Post
A team playing poorly and goes 2-11-1 to start the season in a head coach's second season will look to replace the head coach at some point if the poor trend continues. That decision hasn't been made yet but naming Hitch interim coach would be the easiest way to replace Arniel. No reason to hold Hitch as a back up plan on the payroll if you're still undecided as to whether or not your going to making that change. St. Louis obviously wanted Hitch and they had to see getting him as a limited time opportunity.
Since you aren't getting the logic, maybe St. Loius decided to be aggressive, however that had nothing to do with any desire from the CBJ or Hitch to be back behind the bench as the Jackets coach.

Now, I'm not going to convince you, but I don't really care. I'm 100% sure that Priest believes that Arniel is a good coach and didn't want to make a move and I'm 100% sure that Hitch didn't want to be back behind the Jackets bench again.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Byrral

Congrats Hitch. Listened to your presser. Glad to see you are healthy and have developed a better personal life style. Don't give that up now that you're back to work. You had me all fired up like we just got a new coach on board. Oh BTW I hate the Blues so now you must feel that wrath as well. But hey good luck with your new team anyway.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:43 PM
blahblah

Nice little piece on Hitch on NHL Live tonight. Not a lot new, but they discussed the Jackets and our current situation.

They've chewed on our situation for a while, so it's starting to sound more polished when they talk about us now. Too bad it took such poor play to get them to pay us much attention.

Hitch really sounds energized.

Old
11-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Elliotte Friedman's take:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Interesting that he mentions that Armstrong didn't call to ask permission until Sunday. So, it appears the deal went down with a signed contract very quickly.

Edit: Hit the post button before finishing...

This is a beauty quote from the same article, which again seems to highlight the problems in CBJ front office:

"Second, hopefully every organization, including the Blue Jackets, looks back at what happened in Columbus the last couple of weeks and says, "That's not going to happen again." A fired coach should never be around as much as Hitchcock was. (A friend of Hitchcock's called me after Mike Milbury blasted him on the Hotstove and said ownership wanted him at practices and games in a consultant-type role.) Whatever the case, it was a distraction. An enormous one. In the future, both the coach and the team should set it up this way: Have him scout. Have him write reports on opponents or potential trade/free agency prospects. Have him available by phone if you need to ask a question. But don't have him at the rink -- not fair to incumbent head coach Scott Arniel, to Hitchcock, to Howson, to anyone."
I think that's a fair assessment. It's entirely possible that having Hitchcock around was supposed to act as some sort of implied motivator by forcing a coach and GM both to see a possible successor on a daily basis. But it can be tremendously upsetting and be detrimental to morale as a whole. The same damned thing happened with Doug MacLean insisting that his office should be attached to the locker room even when he wasn't coaching, with the same effects.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:24 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
I think that's a fair assessment. It's entirely possible that having Hitchcock around was supposed to act as some sort of implied motivator by forcing a coach and GM both to see a possible successor on a daily basis. But it can be tremendously upsetting and be detrimental to morale as a whole. The same damned thing happened with Doug MacLean insisting that his office should be attached to the locker room even when he wasn't coaching, with the same effects.
Are we shifting tactics to blaming Priest for Arny being uncomfortable behind the bench for the last 35 or so games of suck?

Old
11-08-2011, 07:29 AM
CinciWildcat18
Rookie User

I too wonder why Priest doesn't get more blame. Isn't he the one making these crap hires?

CinciWildcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:43 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
I too wonder why Priest doesn't get more blame. Isn't he the one making these crap hires?
Sure blame him if you like. It's a big unproductive. It's a bit like constantly railing against Brown in Cinci. It's a waste of energy.

Having said that Howson, obviously, hired Arniel. All Priest is directly responsible for is the Howson hire. He didn't bring in Dougie, at least that I'm aware of. So when you say hires, I don't see that being accurate. More like hire. I suppose you could lump Hitch in there as well. But since I don't consider that a mistake, I don't really lump that in. You mileage may vary. I know he was involved in that hiring process, but I don't remember if he he or the owner(s) that made the final decision. Obviously he had a great deal of input and worked hard on that hiring process.

What I find Priest guilty of is doubling down on things that aren't working. There are also a couple of other things that are worrisome, but not appropriate to bring up here.

I don't really blame Priest too much for the Howson hire. It didn't seem like a bad hire at the time based on the information he had been provided. Howson is a smart man and may, ultimately be a great GM. Well maybe just good. Probably in his next job.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:07 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
In the case of Howson, yes. In the case of Arniel, he and ownership are obviously signing off on the move, but have less to do with that than Howson does.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

The Blues come in on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I wouldnt be surprised if they win by 4 or 5 goals.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
The Blues come in on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I wouldnt be surprised if they win by 4 or 5 goals.
Yeah, that was one of my first thoughts when he got hired. I am betting the Blues light the Jackets up big time.

That's also the next game I bought advance tickets for

I do anticipate Hitch getting a good response when they announce him before the game. 80 to 90 percent positive response vs negative sound fair?

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:21 PM
MFRONE

If I was at the game I would certainly cheer him when he's announced.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:41 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
If I was at the game I would certainly cheer him when he's announced.
Me too. Still love the guy. Even more so knowing he won't be behind our bench again (if that makes ANY sense).

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Yeah, that was one of my first thoughts when he got hired. I am betting the Blues light the Jackets up big time.

That's also the next game I bought advance tickets for

I do anticipate Hitch getting a good response when they announce him before the game. 80 to 90 percent positive response vs negative sound fair?
The Blues board is skeptical at times but curious and optimistic as well. The key for the Blues is which Hitchcock are they getting; the renaissance Hitchcock is what they are looking for.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The Blues board is skeptical at times but curious and optimistic as well. The key for the Blues is which Hitchcock are they getting; the renaissance Hitchcock is what they are looking for.
I think Hitch went 6-3-1 in his first 10 games with the CBJ when he was first brought on. The short term bump will be there for the Blues as well, I believe.

Their roster is a hell of a lot better than the Maclean assembled one from 06-07 in November.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote