HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zenon Konopka, Sign Him Garth What You Waiting For!?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
  #1
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
Zenon Konopka, Sign Him Garth What You Waiting For!?

PLEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSE

C'mon already

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 12:42 PM
  #2
ayashin716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
I feel like Grabby was top on the list of things to do until today. I wouldn't surprised if they sign Zenon in the next couple of weeks, especially with the way Snow held onto him at the deadline.

ayashin716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:07 PM
  #3
Bunk Moreland
Registered User
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 50
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the let Z walk I don't know just a feeling I've got could obviously be wrong though.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:08 PM
  #4
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the let Z walk I don't know just a feeling I've got could obviously be wrong though.
I agree, I just wish I knew who he did wrong

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:15 PM
  #5
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,306
vCash: 500
If he does walk, it's because he outplayed his contract. 4th line grinder centers are available for league minimum, if Zenon's looking for something around a 1.00 to 1.25 million, he may have priced himself out of a contract with the Isles.

CodeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:17 PM
  #6
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisacodee View Post
If he does walk, it's because he outplayed his contract. 4th line grinder centers are available for league minimum, if Zenon's looking for something around a 1.00 to 1.25 million, he may have priced himself out of a contract with the Isles.

I'm pretty sure he openly said he would come back for the same contract

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:19 PM
  #7
BennyBST
Registered User
 
BennyBST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
I really don't want to see Nielsen reach free agency, he's the guy who needs to extended, for at least 4 yrs.

I hope Zenon is brought back, but no more than 800 K

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:21 PM
  #8
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I agree, I just wish I knew who he did wrong
Wang.

Wang doesn't like fisticuffs, only the fans do (for the most part).

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:27 PM
  #9
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I'm pretty sure he openly said he would come back for the same contract
In that case, it's either an issue with Wang/Snow or he'll be resigned very, very soon.

CodeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:30 PM
  #10
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisacodee View Post
In that case, it's either an issue with Wang/Snow or he'll be resigned very, very soon.
A quantity that markets itself.....Zenon brought fans to buy tickets himself. Last guy like that was Webby. Before that, the Bomber.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:37 PM
  #11
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
I agree with Benny, in that we need to lockup Frans Nielsen for the long term and give him the C on his sweater.

I am probably in the minority who feel Konopka is not worth fretting about. He is a fourth line center with limited hockey skills. We have fighting in Matt Martin and Haley if we resign him.... I would rather have a 4th line center who can play hockey.

Also it is not good for a team to have their 4th line fighting center as their leader, you would rather have Streit and Nielsen lead this club until JT is ready.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:46 PM
  #12
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
I agree with Benny, in that we need to lockup Frans Nielsen for the long term and give him the C on his sweater.

I am probably in the minority who feel Konopka is not worth fretting about. He is a fourth line center with limited hockey skills. We have fighting in Matt Martin and Haley if we resign him.... I would rather have a 4th line center who can play hockey.

Also it is not good for a team to have their 4th line fighting center as their leader, you would rather have Streit and Nielsen lead this club until JT is ready.
A counterpoint:

Zenon has become a leader and not by a letter anointment, but by getting the team to perform with heart and vigor. We keep hearing how this guy or that guy should assume a letter or will get a letter....but some guys step to the plate and lead, which is far more valuable to any club, nevermind a young one. If he's a fourth liner....he still leads in the lockerroom. Leaders in battle make themselves visible not by line position or rank.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 03:46 PM
  #13
Bunk Moreland
Registered User
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 50
I don't know, I am a BIG fan of Z but I'm not going to lose sleep if he's not re-signed. I agree the Franzie definitely needs to be re-upped before he is allowed to test free agency.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:30 PM
  #14
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Wang.

Wang doesn't like fisticuffs, only the fans do (for the most part).
yea but the team needs toughness. I hated watching this team get bullied Post-Nolan

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:34 PM
  #15
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
I agree with Benny, in that we need to lockup Frans Nielsen for the long term and give him the C on his sweater.

I am probably in the minority who feel Konopka is not worth fretting about. He is a fourth line center with limited hockey skills. We have fighting in Matt Martin and Haley if we resign him.... I would rather have a 4th line center who can play hockey.

Also it is not good for a team to have their 4th line fighting center as their leader, you would rather have Streit and Nielsen lead this club until JT is ready.

Here is where I disagree. Having a guy like Konopka around helps the developing talents play and skatewith confidence. est comparison I can think of is when a QB has aterrible OL and startsto get happy feet and hears footsteps

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:39 PM
  #16
Isles Enforcer
Registered User
 
Isles Enforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
I still think they are letting Z walk in favor of Haley.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 07:40 PM
  #17
It Was 4 to 1*
Registered User
 
It Was 4 to 1*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
I agree with Benny, in that we need to lockup Frans Nielsen for the long term and give him the C on his sweater.

I am probably in the minority who feel Konopka is not worth fretting about. He is a fourth line center with limited hockey skills. We have fighting in Matt Martin and Haley if we resign him.... I would rather have a 4th line center who can play hockey.

Also it is not good for a team to have their 4th line fighting center as their leader, you would rather have Streit and Nielsen lead this club until JT is ready.
it's not good for a team to let their leader (who changed the dynamic of the team) walk, no matter what line he plays on

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:14 PM
  #18
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut
 
CanseiDeSerBreakcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
A counterpoint:

Zenon has become a leader and not by a letter anointment, but by getting the team to perform with heart and vigor. We keep hearing how this guy or that guy should assume a letter or will get a letter....but some guys step to the plate and lead, which is far more valuable to any club, nevermind a young one. If he's a fourth liner....he still leads in the lockerroom. Leaders in battle make themselves visible not by line position or rank.
Thank you, OTH.

Anyone who questions the logic behind resigning Konopka needs to read this ^ post.

I don't care if fans prematurely anointed Okposo as captain, I don't care how some extrapolate Nielsen's quality play as making him captain material. Both had all the time in the world to facilitate this team playing with a fire in the gut, and though both contribute in other ways, neither did. Love him or hate him, Konopka gave this team a set of balls just as Nielsen gives it defensive prowess and Grabner gives it speed. Plus, he did it over the course of a season - it was a rise to a peak, rather than coming in and immediately trying to boss players around.

They can get another 4th line grinder after a year or two, when hopefully they don't need to use ZK as a set of training wheels to play like men. Until then, he's EARNED an alternate captaincy, IMO.

PS: If he's not resigned, I blame Wang. Snow & Capuano obviously know the difference in the team when they let him play Gerard Butler. Talent aside, he's a natural leader - one the Wang would be foolish not to retain.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:33 AM
  #19
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
I find it somewhat amusing that Yzerman let Konopka walk and resigned Thompson. Meanwhile, if we let Konopka walk management are idiots, and we couldn't get Gorton's pet Thompson out the door fast enough.

If we let him walk for some Joe Schmo then I'll be somewhat upset. But I believe we could do better.

The team has learned to stand up for themselves. If Konopka is not resigned the NYI won't turn in to pansies on ice.

In an ideal world Garth resigns him to a 2 way deal.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 01:32 AM
  #20
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I find it somewhat amusing that Yzerman let Konopka walk and resigned Thompson. Meanwhile, if we let Konopka walk management are idiots, and we couldn't get Gorton's pet Thompson out the door fast enough.

If we let him walk for some Joe Schmo then I'll be somewhat upset. But I believe we could do better.

The team has learned to stand up for themselves. If Konopka is not resigned the NYI won't turn in to pansies on ice.

In an ideal world Garth resigns him to a 2 way deal.
Tampa has leaders, Stanley Cup champion leaders. Yzerman has room for a low cost guy like Thompson who can skate and fight and they probably wanted a winger rather than a centerman.

The Isles? We have kids. Streit is a leader, yes. Weight is....in the pressbox? Bailey and Kyle and Tavares and others can learn from a FIERY leader (which we've lacked). Until they're ready, it's nice to have a guy who leads with the attitude hat rubs off on others.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 01:58 AM
  #21
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut
 
CanseiDeSerBreakcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Tampa has leaders, Stanley Cup champion leaders. Yzerman has room for a low cost guy like Thompson who can skate and fight and they probably wanted a winger rather than a centerman.

The Isles? We have kids. Streit is a leader, yes. Weight is....in the pressbox? Bailey and Kyle and Tavares and others can learn from a FIERY leader (which we've lacked). Until they're ready, it's nice to have a guy who leads with the attitude hat rubs off on others.
I am way too verbose....LOL....you're positioning the argument better in a paragrah than I could in an essay.

Cheers to you.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:37 PM
  #22
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Here is where I disagree. Having a guy like Konopka around helps the developing talents play and skatewith confidence. est comparison I can think of is when a QB has aterrible OL and startsto get happy feet and hears footsteps
At the end of the day I want guys who know how to play hockey. Konopka has no skill whatsoever, and the fact that Tampa let him go and kept our garbage in Nate Thompson and is now 4 wins away from being in the finals speaks measures.

The Islanders can solve their fighting needs with Martin and Haley, Hamonic will drop them too. The problem was 2009/10, when the team went 30 games without a fight and JT and company got mauled, then we brought up Martin to fight nate Thompson of all people, when Nate registered the last Isles' fight.

The team would be so much better with Marty Reasoner centering the 4th line over Konopa. It looks like the top 6 will remain the same, and I think Nino and Hunter will battle for the 3rd line rights, if Nino makes the team a 4th line of Hunter/Martin and Reasoner will be solid. If Nino does not make the team you can pencil Haley on the 4th line with Reasoner and Martin.

Teams need to be led by guys who get a lot of ice time. To me Nielsen is the leader of this team, he is a 3 zone player, who is not afraid to get hit and does so much on the ice.

MacDonald, Okposo and Streit should be wearing the A's.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 03:29 PM
  #23
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut
 
CanseiDeSerBreakcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
At the end of the day I want guys who know how to play hockey. Konopka has no skill whatsoever, and the fact that Tampa let him go and kept our garbage in Nate Thompson and is now 4 wins away from being in the finals speaks measures.

The Islanders can solve their fighting needs with Martin and Haley, Hamonic will drop them too. The problem was 2009/10, when the team went 30 games without a fight and JT and company got mauled, then we brought up Martin to fight nate Thompson of all people, when Nate registered the last Isles' fight.

The team would be so much better with Marty Reasoner centering the 4th line over Konopa. It looks like the top 6 will remain the same, and I think Nino and Hunter will battle for the 3rd line rights, if Nino makes the team a 4th line of Hunter/Martin and Reasoner will be solid. If Nino does not make the team you can pencil Haley on the 4th line with Reasoner and Martin.

Teams need to be led by guys who get a lot of ice time. To me Nielsen is the leader of this team, he is a 3 zone player, who is not afraid to get hit and does so much on the ice.

MacDonald, Okposo and Streit should be wearing the A's.
I gotta agree to disagree, dude. Konopka played all 82 games, some of those games with a few injuries, wins faceoffs (and isn't much after, admittedly) and in a way, became a defacto leader.

If Kyle Okposo is truly greater captain material than Konopka at this point in the team's development rather than being anointed as such by the fanbase (probably from when the Milbury regime ended and Neil Smith drafted him,) I haven't seen it. Okposo plays a solid game - no doubt - but the Islanders play better when someone lights a fire under their *****....Okposo hasn't and has had several seasons to do so, Konopka did after 4 months.

Long and short of it, the only young talent that needs to be handed a "C" eventually without much thought is John Tavares. After that, Streit. The only other player that found himself in a leadership role by happenstance and took the bit in the teeth with good result is Konopka, making him at least a little more alternate captain-worthy than Okposo. Okposo's not near-elite like JT - I'd rather see him work on his game (and not hitting so many freaking posts) than trying to lead a team and round his game out at the same time.

Actually, here's a question that could/maybe should spawn it's own thread:

What has Kyle Okposo done, i.e.; not speculated to be capable of, to make so many fans assume he's captain material? Was he captain at Minnesota? Is it that he was the 1st high draft pick post-Milbury? Is it his point totals? The ever-popular Jarome Iginla comparison? I never got it.....because if any of it is his point totals, remember this: P.A. Parenteau's best season is one point and a +14 differential better than Okposo's best season.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I really don't know what Okposo's done that Grabner, Moulson or Parenteau haven't (he's a higher-potential player, no doubt, but so's Alex Radulov and he's a ******).....he puts up points, just like the other names above. If we're going to prematurely crown Okposo captain, there are several other 45-60 pt. young forwards who didn't spend 2/3rds of the season injured, with varying degrees of logic behind making them captain. Moulson's consistent, Grabner's a human missile, Okposo....hits a lot of posts and once in a blue moon destroys someone with a nice hit. Just one guy talking (or typing, really,) but IMO, you look to your captains to provide, among other things, intangibles that elevate the entire team.....I've seen a lot more of this from Konopka (granted, beginning last December) than from Okposo, whom I'd rather see establish himself as a player before trying to take over captaincy.

During the 2nd half of last season, this team was Tavares', Nielsen's and Konopka's, and they started winning. Add Streit to that mix. There's the best bid for 3 "A's" and a "C" right there.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 03:31 PM
  #24
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut
 
CanseiDeSerBreakcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Tampa has leaders, Stanley Cup champion leaders. Yzerman has room for a low cost guy like Thompson who can skate and fight and they probably wanted a winger rather than a centerman.

The Isles? We have kids. Streit is a leader, yes. Weight is....in the pressbox? Bailey and Kyle and Tavares and others can learn from a FIERY leader (which we've lacked). Until they're ready, it's nice to have a guy who leads with the attitude hat rubs off on others.
Again, circle gets the square.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 04:11 PM
  #25
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,282
vCash: 500
The team needs what Kono gives them.......a swagger.
It is beyond protection, it is a courage that was lacking.
I am not a big fan of Kono's hockey abilities, but the team needs a guy who can bring what he does. He is a leader in attitude and that told the opposition that not only will we stand up or ourselves, we will bring the pain to you that you have always brought to us.
If it was felt that we needed Jon Sim as an agitator, Konopka is that plus more. The faceoffs were a bonus.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.