HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Snow asking for 2nd round pick for Nabakov

Old
11-07-2011, 01:35 PM
TheBoss22

vCash: 500
My guess is asking for a draft pick is the easiest way to alleviate our 3 goalie situation. And no one will give up their first round pick for Nabby.

If we ask for a NHL player in return, he'd only get offers to take Rolston type of players (ie. under performing/bad contracts).

Plus if we were to get an NHL player in return. Who sits? Someone's going to sit when Nino returns. If we get another D-man is it Eaton / Jurcina / Staios that sits? If it's another Foward, do we sit Bailey / Pandolpho, or Comeau and Pandolpho, or 1 of the mentioned three and send down Martin?

2nd round pick for Nabby is maximizing value at this time.

However, I'm fine with Nabby being our starting goalie while Montoya and DP jostle for 2nd string.

I don't get the "disrespecting" Montoya garbage. We disrespect a career AHL goalie. Oh no! We'll never get another Matt Moulson type player to sign here again!!!!

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL@The people who actually think a goalie gets you a guy who will actually help this team right now, if Garth can get a ****ing 2nd round pick for him he sure as **** better pull the trigger. Some posters here are so irrational it is absolutely ****ing incredible.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
My guess is asking for a draft pick is the easiest way to alleviate our 3 goalie situation. And no one will give up their first round pick for Nabby.

If we ask for a NHL player in return, he'd only get offers to take Rolston type of players (ie. under performing/bad contracts).

Plus if we were to get an NHL player in return. Who sits? Someone's going to sit when Nino returns. If we get another D-man is it Eaton / Jurcina / Staios that sits? If it's another Foward, do we sit Bailey / Pandolpho, or Comeau and Pandolpho, or 1 of the mentioned three and send down Martin?

However, I'm fine with Nabby being our starting goalie while Montoya and DP jostle for 2nd string.

I don't get the "disrespecting" Montoya garbage. We disrespect a career AHL goalie. Oh no! We'll never get another Matt Moulson type player to sign here again!!!!

Montoya earned his spot.. He is more then a career AHL player.. He had no shot with the Rangers because Henrik came and totally dominated the olympics for Sweden and got the #1 spot with the Rags while Montoya was still in Hartford coming up. He went to Phoenix where no way in hell were they going to pass up on Bryzgalov .. Now he is with us and we let him play and he took the ball and ran with it. He deserves to play because he has proven to he can.

Trading Nabakov for a 2nd rounder is foolish because DP will get injured again and I dont want to call up Poulin or Nillsson yet

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:52 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Montoya is our best goalie, so trading Nabokov and having just Montoya and DP isn't so bad considering DP hasn't been that bad. The value is good, but obviously not what we need.
You can't rely on goaltender values in this league, they're very cheap.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
[/B]

Montoya earned his spot.. He is more then a career AHL player.. He had no shot with the Rangers because Henrik came and totally dominated the olympics for Sweden and got the #1 spot with the Rags while Montoya was still in Hartford coming up. He went to Phoenix where no way in hell were they going to pass up on Bryzgalov .. Now he is with us and we let him play and he took the ball and ran with it. He deserves to play because he has proven to he can.

Trading Nabakov for a 2nd rounder is foolish because DP will get injured again and I dont want to call up Poulin or Nillsson yet
Just ignore the stats. More fun that way. (you can pick out DP's fanbase more easily)

Ask: does this trade help us make the playoffs or hinder us?

Those who answer this spell out their intentions vividly. Again, unfortunately, like gamblers, "it just might work this time" and we throw the cards down yet again for a high draft pick.

Sorry, I don't like losing. Shiny pick or not.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Brodeur

If Roloson/Garon can't get any traction, Tampa would make sense and they have an extra 2nd rounder from trading Meszaros to Philly.

As others have said, you can always make a subsequent trade later where the net result is Nabokov for an NHL player. A few years back, Buffalo traded Martin Biron for a high second rounder and then acquired Dainius Zubrus for their late first rounder. So the net result to them basically boiled down to Biron for Zubrus.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Just ignore the stats. More fun that way. (you can pick out DP's fanbase more easily)

Ask: does this trade help us make the playoffs or hinder us?

Those who answer this spell out their intentions vividly. Again, unfortunately, like gamblers, "it just might work this time" and we throw the cards down yet again for a high draft pick.

Sorry, I don't like losing. Shiny pick or not.
We are more likely to not make the playoffs with the goalie triangle than without Nabokov. At least with trading Nabokov you get rid of a problem in the goalie triangle, and you can continue to help build for the future while also trying to get to the playoffs in the now with the 2nd rounder.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Montoya is our best goalie, so trading Nabokov and having just Montoya and DP isn't so bad considering DP hasn't been that bad. The value is good, but obviously not what we need.
You can't rely on goaltender values in this league, they're very cheap.
We have to create room for Nino. We want to trade Nabby.

Why not a package for immediate help?

3 goalies and we need two (and a stretcher if DP isn't being traded)
one too many forwards
a full compliment of D but one we want to replace

So....why not Eaton, Comeau/Bailey and Nabby going out for defensive help of quality?

because Garf wants a pick or winning is secondary to DP? I dunno. This team is mindbogglingly inept.

What would Kenny Holland do? Bill Torrey? Glen Sather? Lou Lam? What would a good team trying to win do?

Old
11-07-2011, 02:00 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:

The guy was a top pick, never got a chance to play. Now he's playing well for us and you don't wanna give him a chance to play because you'd rather see DP do his best Ronny Hextall impression? Or maybe you'd rather have the guy in goal that last year sat out instead of joining the team? I don't think its DISRESPECTFUL.....I think we as a team are just morons for not playing him

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:01 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Quote:
We have to create room for Nino. We want to trade Nabby.

Why not a package for immediate help?

3 goalies and we need two (and a stretcher if DP isn't being traded)
one too many forwards
a full compliment of D but one we want to replace

So....why not Eaton, Comeau/Bailey and Nabby going out for defensive help of quality?

because Garf wants a pick or winning is secondary to DP? I dunno. This team is mindbogglingly inept.

What would Kenny Holland do? Bill Torrey? Glen Sather? Lou Lam? What would a good team trying to win do?
Because right now, Comeau and Bailey have absolutely no value to anybody, so they won't help out any type of package.

If they are in the thick of things come the trade deadline, and Comeau is playing well, why can't Garth package said 2nd rounder, and Comeau for a guy like Fedor Tyutin?

Old
11-07-2011, 02:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
We are more likely to not make the playoffs with the goalie triangle than without Nabokov. At least with trading Nabokov you get rid of a problem in the goalie triangle, and you can continue to help build for the future while also trying to get to the playoffs in the now with the 2nd rounder.
Trade Nabby for a pick or sit Rick? Go with your two best goalies or play Rick? It's not that tough. Rick is third best and an injury concern. Monty is playing the best of the three and Nabby has been solid and has a history to be relied upon for regular season excellence.

So.....win 5 more games with Nabby and Monty, maybe more if RLR gets hurt earlier than anticipated or win less and have that extra winger from Spokane in four years maybe?

Old
11-07-2011, 02:06 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
The guy was a top pick, never got a chance to play. Now he's playing well for us and you don't wanna give him a chance to play because you'd rather see DP do his best Ronny Hextall impression? Or maybe you'd rather have the guy in goal that last year sat out instead of joining the team? I don't think its DISRESPECTFUL.....I think we as a team are just morons for not playing him
he has DP's jersey. It's no small investment.

Like I've said, some want the team first, some want the player. I always look at the front of the jersey over the stitching on the back myself.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:07 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Quote:
Trade Nabby for a pick or sit Rick? Go with your two best goalies or play Rick? It's not that tough. Rick is third best and an injury concern. Monty is playing the best of the three and Nabby has been solid and has a history to be relied upon for regular season excellence.

So.....win 5 more games with Nabby and Monty, maybe more if RLR gets hurt earlier than anticipated or win less and have that extra winger from Spokane in four years maybe?
Rick has played well, and yes it is a huge risk to make this trade, and rely on Rick, and Montoya, but it has to be done sooner or later, they can't wait until Comeau, or Bailey regain some value, and package them for immediate help, because by that time they very well could be completely out of the race.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:09 PM
stranger34

Quote:

If RDP was a true team player he would swallow his pride and go to Bridgeport while he gets his game back and tests his body.

If this were baseball and he were a pitcher thats how it would be handled.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:09 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
If Roloson/Garon can't get any traction, Tampa would make sense and they have an extra 2nd rounder from trading Meszaros to Philly.

As others have said, you can always make a subsequent trade later where the net result is Nabokov for an NHL player. A few years back, Buffalo traded Martin Biron for a high second rounder and then acquired Dainius Zubrus for their late first rounder. So the net result to them basically boiled down to Biron for Zubrus.
Yep. But the best scenario is being patient and selling high. Nabby will have good stats. Why trade him when the team may come together and be far better? Why not wait until TB or another team has a dire need and plays to make the playoffs (NOVEL IDEA!)?

Because 39 has to get more starts and no one wants to admit the team is a bunch of players our owner could care less about aside from his American Idol buddy.

I was pulling for him......and you sworn DP fans make it so friggen hard. The franchise is supposed to be the joke, not the fanbase.

(and this is not directed at you, Brodeur)

Win more or win less? Which one is it?

Old
11-07-2011, 02:12 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Rick has played well, and yes it is a huge risk to make this trade, and rely on Rick, and Montoya, but it has to be done sooner or later, they can't wait until Comeau, or Bailey regain some value, and package them for immediate help, because by that time they very well could be completely out of the race.
Then Rick gets hurt (a likelihood) or does not perform better than Nabby (a certainty) and we're out of the playoff race regardless.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:12 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
If RDP was a true team player he would swallow his pride and go to Bridgeport while he gets his game back and tests his body.

If this were baseball and he were a pitcher thats how it would be handled.
Give me a ****ing break, get his game back? He has played, have you even been watching the games?

Old
11-07-2011, 02:15 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Quote:
Then Rick gets hurt (a likelihood) or does not perform better than Nabby (a certainty) and we're out of the playoff race regardless.
Well see, we are just going to go back, and forth here and have nothing come of it, lets just agree to disagree, and hope for the best for this teams season.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:15 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Give me a ****ing break, get his game back? He has played, have you even been watching the games?
I agree...his game is back. He's in decent form barring injury and he's the third best goalie we have. That said, he's an injury waiting to happen and I'd sooner wait til later for any deal IF WE HAD ONE FOR TALENT WE NEED NOW just to allow for Nilsson or Poulin or even Mikko (to not harm development of the top two) to prove they can step up when the stretcher comes for Rick.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Well see, we are just going to go back, and forth here and have nothing come of it, lets just agree to disagree, and hope for the best for this teams season.
Agreed. Cheers.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:30 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
Where did I say I'd rather see DP do his best Ronny Hextall impression? Quote? Link?

I said I want Nabby as our starter. Do I need to type in Caps or Bold certain words?

Last edited by TheBoss22: 11-07-2011 at 02:46 PM.
TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:44 PM
KrisBeKreame

Surprised no one has put something on the Trade boards about this

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:46 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Watch us get a 2nd round pick for him, and go on to pick another goaltender with that pick (a la Koskinen, Nilsson)

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:48 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Where did I say I'd rather see DP do his best Ronny Hextall impression? Quote? Link?

I said I want Nabby as our starter. Do I need to type in Caps or Bold certain words?
This post clarifies it enough.

Old
11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Otto91

sounds like another Roloson deal..... and where is Wishart?

with Nino coming in soon.....can we package Nabby and ? for a warm body with a pulse please...grrrrrrrrrrrr

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote