HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Snow asking for 2nd round pick for Nabakov

Old
11-07-2011, 04:56 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
So why make the trade now?
So they can all circle jerk to another pick.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:57 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Every year I swear I read this. He may very well use that 2nd on a "warm body," that said, based on hx. that does not seem likely.

Let the goalie situation play itself out some more, then *try and package the extra goalie and an additional forward (e.g. Comeau) for some "warm body" help this
season.
Thank you.

Old
11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
Remember the year we were offered 7th round picks for Roloson and Biron? Would you be OK with having 3 goalies until the end of the year because we held out until the very end and got no takers?
...Yeah, because Montoya has yet to prove he's for real and DP is just minutes away from his next ****ing injury. Stop looking to every year except the present one for Christ sakes. Nabby represents the most stable option we have at the most important position on the ice and you are ready to deal him to draft a player in the second round that MIGHT help us 3 or 4 years from now? Come on already...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
gordie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLPrimeTime View Post
There was hardly a market for Tomas Vokoun in the off-season. What makes Snow or anyone think Nabokov could be worth a second round pick?
This.

Is a 36 year old goalie who has played 4 games in 2 years and may or may not be "injured" worth a 2nd round pick?

I don't think the Islanders are dealing from a point of strength. The entire NHL knows the 2 goalie rotation does not work. If I was another GM I would just wait and see how it plays out. Nabby didn't want to come here in the first place, I can't imagine him being happy sitting in the press box rotting away a couple of times a week so Cappy can get playing time for everyone.

I say deal someone soon before the situation turns. Everyone seems happy now, but eventually someone is going to tired of this rotation and want out. If that happens forget a second round pick Snow will be lucky to get a bag of pucks.

gordie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:24 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
...Yeah, because Montoya has yet to prove he's for real and DP is just minutes away from his next ****ing injury. Stop looking to every year except the present one for Christ sakes. Nabby represents the most stable option we have at the most important position on the ice and you are ready to deal him to draft a player in the second round
that MIGHT help us 3 or 4 years
from now? Come on
already...
Another good post. Enough of friggin look years down the line. Tired of it. If they want to win they keep Nabby. Simple.

Old
11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
...Yeah, because Montoya has yet to prove he's for real and DP is just minutes away from his next ****ing injury. Stop looking to every year except the present one for Christ sakes. Nabby represents the most stable option we have at the most important position on the ice and you are ready to deal him to draft a player in the second round that MIGHT help us 3 or 4 years from now? Come on already...
If you are advocating keeping Nabby and trading away Montoya for whatever we can get, I'm all for it.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
ScaredStreit

Most teams have their goaltender right now. How many could use one? There's really not many.

Not to mention any team that needs a starter, Nabby probably wont be happy there, and after last season's fiasco-what team who needs a starter it going to risk anything more than a 2nd round pick for an old goaltender who may not even want to be there?

We'll be lucky to get a 2nd. Nabby doesn't have much value.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:55 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 557
I don't love the idea of getting rid of him, but I don't hate it.

A second round pick would be phenomenal compensation for everything we gave up to get him.

Package our second rounder with the newly acquired second rounder, get into the mid 20's of the first round. Package that pick with our first round pick which will probably be somewhere between 8-16. Get a top 5 pick in return.

Show your gonads and make a move Snow

TheIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:27 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Bolts and Isles

Trade Al, not Nabby.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Boik14

Some of you sure you dont want to reconsider your stance after the performance Nabby put on tonight? 12 shots, 3 goals. Getting a 2 would be highway robbery for a 36 yr/old netminder who isnt what he was 5-6 years ago.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:30 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Bolts and Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boik14 View Post
Some of you sure you dont want to reconsider your stance after the performance Nabby put on tonight? 12 shots, 3 goals. Getting a 2 would be highway robbery for a 36 yr/old netminder who isnt what he was 5-6 years ago.
Islanders fans seem to only judge a goalie based on his poor performances.

DP could win 6 straight games, but he messes up once and he's a burden and needs to retire.

Nabby has played very solid, has a bad game tonight, he's garbage.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

lol at this point, i really don't give a ****. Trade him for a **** pick, a **** player or keep him. Whatever Garth, I don't care.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
Trade Al, not Nabby.
Why? Montoya is a guy who can be here for the long term. Who knows what happens with the new CBA & Rick. Who knows what happens with Poulin & Nilsson. It shouldn't be set in stone that either of the Europrospects will be on the club next year.

I don't want to trade any of them just yet, but if you're going to deal one, deal the guy who doesn't have a future with the club.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Boik14

Quote:
Islanders fans seem to only judge a goalie based on his poor performances.

DP could win 6 straight games, but he messes up once and he's a burden and needs to retire.

Nabby has played very solid, has a bad game tonight, he's garbage.
No, my point was that is very reminiscent of what happened his last year in SJS and that is one reason why there was a very weak market for him then. Now some of the people on this board expect to get an arm and a leg for a 36 year old goalie on a 1 year contract. Not happening. Take what you can get and let Montoya be the goalie which he has EARNED between this year and last. Hes been our best goalie by a longshot imo. And unlike Nabokov or DP he has a long term future here on LI. DP does need to retire, hes rolling out a 904 SV% and thats a backup caliber stat. Look at TB, thats what Mike Smith had last year before they decided they needed to upgrade for Roloson.

Second of all, I said earlier today, on the very first page of this thread long before this game happened we should take a 2nd for Nabby and try and trade that asset later for the pieces we really need. So no, it was not a reaction, my post was more of a reaffirmation that Nabby should be the one to go not only because of tonight but because his "name" carries the most weight and im sure theres still some GM who believes Nabby is worth a 2nd and I think thats the card Garth is playing.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:24 PM
stranger34

I still don't see why dp cant just go to bridgeport.

among other positive things it ould help repair his image with the fans.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
So...his value down to a 4th now...maybe 5th?

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:09 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
So...his value down to a 4th now...maybe 5th?
but it's a deep draft, so it's more like a 3rd or 4th.

who's idea was it to "showcase" Nabokov against a hot Bruins team, on their home ice, coming off a 7-0 win over a first place team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I still don't see why dp cant just go to bridgeport.

among other positive things it ould help repair his image with the fans.
and they can use another goalie. Maybe they should dress two for each game - might help bridgeport!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Well, he ain't getting a 2nd after tonight.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:22 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
but it's a deep draft, so it's more like a 3rd or 4th.
Gah, just the fact that we are ALREADY seeing these kind of rationales is sickening. Feels like Groundhogs Day meets the New York Islanders.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Toronto is in need of a proven goaltender with Reimer being placed on IR for the forseeable future, and Gustuvsson and Scrivens showing they are incapable of providing stable goaltending. Our best bet would be taking Franson off Burke's hands in exchange for Nabby. He's exactly what we need on the back end - a big-bodied defenseman to make up for the Isles' lack of size and strength. With Luke Schenn having signed a five-year deal over the off-season, Franson has been the odd man out so far this year having played in only 4 games. It's a deal that makes sense for both teams.

I know some may disagree with trading Nabby to a conference rival, but honestly it's the best deal the Isles can possibly get. I'm sick of draft picks already!

Poulin 0n My St1ck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:44 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
If you are advocating keeping Nabby and trading away Montoya for whatever we can get, I'm all for it.
Quote:
Trade Al, not Nabby.
DP's fans speak. Trade the best of the three so....

a. we get a better draft pick (DP starts more)
b. DP is better clearly (DP starts more)
c. we can get a better 2nd rounder (DP starts more)
d. Montoya is going to stink.....he's just on a hot streak the past 2 dozen starts and can't be this good (DP starts more)

It's just ridiculously humorous. We clearly need to replace him with another Mike Dunham do trade Monty AND NABBY so we can right the universe.

winning is so ostentatious.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:22 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
We all want a "body" but does anyone think Nabakov alone garners us a top prospect or a top vet?

C'mon...no chance. If you were GM or another team, would you give a prime asset up for a rental goalie?

I'll take the second round pick laughing all the way to the draft thank you very much. Snow has done extremely well at the draft, and could always use that second round pick later on to obtain a "body" as part of a package. Don't knock it.... Josh Bailey or Blake Comeau (as examples) packaged with a 2nd rounder is a heck of a lot more attractive, and could garner something of value in return.
I agree with all of this except Snow doing very well in the draft. I agree the majority of picks have been good but Bailey is a huge sour point and bad mark on Snow. Yes you can argue that none of the other draft players that year have been good but maybe we could have gotten a veteran in a trade for that pick. Snow could have evaluated the draft better and realized it was crappy.

Nab for a 2nd I would do in a heartbeat. There is no way he is going to be worth another player better than the below average Pandolfo/Rolston/Reasoner

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:26 AM
seafoam
Nielsen, Frans

vCash: 216
Nabby for Blacker? (NYI/TOR)

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Nabby for Blacker? (NYI/TOR)
Who is Blacker? Don't know anything about him.

Previous poster said Nabby for Franson, is that even doable and if so Snow should be on the phone talking to Burke.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:31 AM
seafoam
Nielsen, Frans

vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Who is Blacker? Don't know anything about him.

Previous poster said Nabby for Franson, is that even doable and if so Snow should be on the phone talking to Burke.
He's in the AHL but he has the potential to be an all around solid top 4 guy, right handed shot I believe.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote