HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frattin to the Leafs Nov/7

Old
11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickpeterson View Post
But Connolly is a CENTER. Frattin is a WINGER. Colborne is a CENTER.
If a center goes down, a usually a center is called up. Why not call up the leading scorer in the AHL now, when a center is injured, instead of calling up a winger. When are you going call up Colborne, when a winger gets injured? It doesn't make sense. Not fair to Colborne IMO.
We have plenty of natural centers playing on the wing, who can fill in the gap. I think they're taking Colborne's development very seriously, and want to make sure that when he's called up, he's put in a position to succeed (unlike Kadri and Bozak last season, or even Gustavsson). I don't think the current situation matches that criteria.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:09 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickpeterson View Post
But Connolly is a CENTER. Frattin is a WINGER. Colborne is a CENTER.
If a center goes down, a usually a center is called up. Why not call up the leading scorer in the AHL now, when a center is injured, instead of calling up a winger. When are you going call up Colborne, when a winger gets injured? It doesn't make sense. Not fair to Colborne IMO.
Colborne is going to get called up when Colborne is ready for NHL duty. clearly his coach who recommends players to RW thinks Frattin is a better call up. So you think he should still get the call even if his coach doesn't think he's ready yet?

Old
11-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Higher production? Where? When?
You're right. Frattin 1a in 11 games is some serious production compared to Kadri's 13 in 33 while being yo-yo-ed. That's 32 point production over a 82 schedule season which is not bad for a rookie.

Quote:
can we deal with reality and not personal wants?
Oh, the irony.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Captain Clutch 13

I like Frattin but he was invisible in his 10 game stint and considering Kadri for the most part outplayed Frattin in preseason and got screwed out of a starting position because of an injury I kind of woulda thought they'd give Kadri his chance. Not the end of the world though, maybe Frattin will come back with some confidence.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:16 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Clutch 13 View Post
I like Frattin but he was invisible in his 10 game stint and considering Kadri for the most part outplayed Frattin in preseason and got screwed out of a starting position because of an injury I kind of woulda thought they'd give Kadri his chance. Not the end of the world though, maybe Frattin will come back with some confidence.
I have to disagree. No he didn't get on the scoresheet but I really liked what I saw from him, and he was noticeable on the ice (to me) for the good things he did.

I'm looking forward to seeing him being brought back up.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:19 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Because Bozak moves up and Lombardi goes back to the middle where he's usually played.

Colborne and Kadri can stay down there until they convince everyone including themselves that they have no use for the AHL anymore. That's not happened just yet.
What has Frattin done to convince ANYONE that he has no use for the AHL. Player of the month? Oh wait, that's another guy.

If you want to say that Colborne and to a lesser extent, Kadri don't deserve to be in the NHL, fine, but neither does Frattin. Based on Wilson's "meritology", it should be Colborne. Frattin will be just as successful as Wilson's special teams.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:19 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Personally, I would like to see what Colborne and Crabb could do in the NHL given their chemistry in the A.

But I have to ask are we trying to generate more offence, or play better defensively as a team? I doubt Colborne improves the team defence.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:20 PM
goguls

Wow, the Kadri hate is mind boggling.

He will be the whipping boy when he makes this team; guaranteed. He'll get the majority of the blame even when its not entirely his fault.

"Did you see that turnover in the first period? Send him down!!!"

goguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Kirkpatrick

Calling up Frattin makes a decent amount of sense. Colborne can keep developing without having either a) the pressure of trying to be the 1B line centre, or b) the defensively responsible 3rd line centre, and we have centres already playing the wing. And I haven't seen any of the games, but Frattin does have better stats than Kadri so far in the AHL. No idea how comparable their play has been though.

I'm assuming if Frattin seemed "invisible" to people then they either didn't really watch the games, or else guys like Gunnar were also "invisible". I mean, I don't remember any highlights of the night out of him

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:27 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguls View Post
Wow, the Kadri hate is mind boggling.

He will be the whipping boy when he makes this team; guaranteed. He'll get the majority of the blame even when its not entirely his fault.

"Did you see that turnover in the first period? Send him down!!!"
This is exactly why he isn't on the team. When Kadri is ready to be a top6 player on the Leafs he will have a full time spot on the Leafs, and Leafs fans will love his play.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:28 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
I'm assuming if Frattin seemed "invisible" to people then they either didn't really watch the games, or else guys like Gunnar were also "invisible". I mean, I don't remember any highlights of the night out of him
Bad comparison, man. Gunnar plays a very sound defensive game. Frattin being invisible in the offensive zone isn't a good thing. I hope he can keep his current groove.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
Bad comparison, man. Gunnar plays a very sound defensive game. Frattin being invisible in the offensive zone isn't a good thing. I hope he can keep his current groove.
Whether you think his play was good enough is one thing, but I don't see how you can call him invisible. He looked solid, but without a scoring finish to me.

(I was thinking of saying Bozak instead of Gunnar, but then there's this )

Old
11-07-2011, 08:35 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Gunnar is playing top minutes, ES, PK and PP, and he's the defensive anchor for Phaneuf. He matches up against opposing top lines every single night. The fact you don't hear his name often as a "shutdown" D, is high praise indeed.

To not hear the name of an offensive juggernaut of the NCAA when he's given top opportunity to make a mark (decent PP time and 2nd line minutes with Kulie and Grabo) is a different matter. He did spend most of his time on the 3rd line after failing to cash in on his chance, where he faced 3rd defensive pairings, and 3rd / 4th lines on a nightly basis. If the best you can say about that stretch is that he was decent defensively, it isn't exactly saying much.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:36 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Quote:
Whether you think his play was good enough is one thing, but I don't see how you can call him invisible. He looked solid, but without a scoring finish to me.

I thought he played fine everywhere but the offensive zone really. He just seemed to be kind of lost when he crossed the blue line, but hopefully the recent stint in the A changed that for him.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:36 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:

Frattin was very noticeable the first few games, then his game tappered off. He needs to keep it simple, hit, short passes, and drive to the net.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Wendelstache

tlusty v.2 fans will be hurt by this call up.

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ponder

I like quite a few things about Frattin, he's got nice speed, he's physical, he plays well defensively, he's got a nice shot, and he didn't seem to make many horrendous turnovers or mistakes in general. On the flip side, he has a Jason Blake type mentality whenever he touches the puck, just rushes to the net and shoots, too predictable and doesn't really use his linemates. I'm sure it worked great in college, but he's no Ovechkin, he doesn't have the ability to play this way successfully in the NHL. Needs to play smarter offensively.

As for Kadri vs Frattin, Kadri sees the ice way better, has much better hands, and is just quite a bit better offensively in general, but he's also prone to really bad turnovers, poor defense, and does not bring Frattin's physicality or speed. I can see why Frattin's getting the callup over Kadri, especially for a bottom 6 role. Kadri hasn't done a good job of progressing since he was drafted, I think Leafs brass are basically saying "round out your game and cut down on all the errors if you want to play in the NHL." He's basically the same player now that he was when he was drafted over 2 years ago, and that's not good enough.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
So you are going to ignore the fact Frattin played well for the Leafs last time he was up? Or does that not count?
I don't think he was all that good, no.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
number72

Frattin is 2 years older then Colbourne and Kadri and his contract expires this year.
Leafs need to figure out what his potential is and what to do with him (resign/trade).

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
I thought he played fine everywhere but the offensive zone really. He just seemed to be kind of lost when he crossed the blue line, but hopefully the recent stint in the A changed that for him.
For the record, I pretty much agree. As a rookie third liner, I like that he was strong defensively, and if he can figure out how to get his shot going, that would be great. It would've been nice if he could have contributed when he got the chance with Kulie and Grabo, but I'm hoping the AHL stint will be a confidence boost. Really, we're just waiting on Army's return.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:43 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I don't think he was all that good, no.
He wasn't a scoring threat, nor was he a liability. I think this team needs players that are going to be reliable in their own end.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Leafs are a top 5 offensive team and bottom 5 defensive team right now.

You tell me what's more important,Frattin's defensive game,or Kadri's offensive game (which is almost non-existant anyways). Come on guys.

Kadri can bring nothing to this club right now.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
david999

Good move bringing up Frattin. He played pretty solidly for a rookie on a team that is still top 2 in the Eastern Conference. Hopefully he can light the lamp soon.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:49 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Frattin is 2 years older then Colbourne and Kadri and his contract expires this year.
Leafs need to figure out what his potential is and what to do with him (resign/trade).
This could very well be a determining factor. Both parties will need to see what he's capable of in the big league before starting contract negotiations. I believe he can be a useful player for us, but if he's thinking he should be getting Turris type money because he was an NCAA All-Star... we need to see how that translates into the NHL. So far, not so good.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
Leafs are a top 5 offensive team and bottom 5 defensive team right now.

You tell me what's more important,Frattin's defensive game,or Kadri's offensive game (which is almost non-existant anyways). Come on guys.

Kadri can bring nothing to this club right now.
You really think a player like Frattin, playing 3rd line minutes, is going to change those defensive numbers?

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote