HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frattin to the Leafs Nov/7

Old
11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
What if you believed both? What happens to the glass then? This isn't about being an optimist or pessimist. Look at the team and look at the results they have produced. At game 82 next spring, do you think it is likelier the Leafs will be a top 5 scoring team or a bottom 5 defensive team?
My optimism says the Leafs will get better defensively.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:37 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
I just don't think its the "best part" of a player.
The "best part" refers to a purely financial (GM) view that draft picks are the cheapest way to acquire high-upside talent. I'd rather find a $20 bill than exchange fair market value for one.

The best part of his on-ice game would be his skating. I also like his shot, his desire for the puck, and his willingness to grind to get that puck.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
Fascinating thread.

Frattin was a forechecking threat in the offensive zone when he was up before. We had no forecheck in the last couple of games, so they're bringing that threat back.

Kadri will be down until he stops trying to score by himself and beat everyone he faces one on one. He needs to learn to stop doing that. It doesn't mean mommy and daddy don't love him, they just want him to learn his lesson.
Colborne. Love the kid...but let's take a breath. This is the player we got for Thomas Kaberle. The player we got instead of making the original Kaberle for Kessel deal. The player who represents all that is good in future Leaf centers. The monstrous western Canadian kid who's dad is one of the largest Leaf supporters in the Province of Alberta...the kid who is player of the month in the AHL and averaging 2 points a game. The kid who is dominating, the way they hoped Nazem would at this level.....How can anyone not realize how BADLY Burke and his team want this kid to come up here and be a special impact player?

They will the minute he is ready....no....probably just before he is ready...and they will hope he makes the leap.

Let's cross our fingers.

In order of NHL readiness....

Frattin
Kadri
Colborne

in order of top - end potential....

Colborne
Kadri
Frattin

But they're all going to be very good NHL players.
WOW! Could you have said anything more off from what Kadri does on the ice? First off Kadri is a playmaker before a goal scorer if there's anybody in this entire organization that uses his line mates when he plays it's him. Don't know what lesson your eluding to dude but I think you need to learn the X's and O's of this game before you spew things like this.

Kadri by far has the most talent between these 3 but he's still not strong enough with his core and legs to have the balance on his skates to do what he could do that's why he's not with the team and the only reason at that.

You touched on Frattin and your half right. The board work from the forwards is absolutely the weakest aspect to this team both in the offensive zone and the defensive zone it is no coincidence since Armstrong and Frattin have been out of the Leafs line up this team has struggled big time on the wall exposed big time these past 2 games, this call up bringing him up as appose to the others was to fill a necessity more than anything else and Frattin is better than both Kadri and Colborne when it comes to puck battles on the wall.

Hopefully Wilson utilizes him on the 2nd PP playing the point so he could let that one time shot of his off if Wilson does this Frattin would have played his last AHL game.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:55 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
What if you believed both? What happens to the glass then? This isn't about being an optimist or pessimist. Look at the team and look at the results they have produced. At game 82 next spring, do you think it is likelier the Leafs will be a top 5 scoring team or a bottom 5 defensive team?
Very solid bet that the Leafs challenge for top-10 offensively, maybe more if guys like Kessel and Lupul legitimately break through.

If Reimer is injured all year, then maybe they're bottom-5 defensively at the end of the year. But if he gets healthy anytime soon, then no real chance of that happening.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:00 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
The last game has thrown "Leaf Nation" into a frenzy. We've gone from playoff bound to lottery bound in three periods.
Maybe some of the dumber fans. Most realize that a) Kessel won't be able to maintain his 2 PPG pace, b) with abysmal special teams, the hope for a playoff birth is very slim, c) our defense has more holes than swiss cheese.

When all things are considered, quite a few fans consider the Leafs to be extremely lucky to be where they are, considering the crap effort they keep coming out with night after night.

None of this is the product of 3 periods.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
If Reimer is injured all year, then maybe they're bottom-5 defensively at the end of the year. But if he gets healthy anytime soon, then no real chance of that happening.
Having Joe Colborne play third line minutes likely won't help our defensive woes, especially in front of a Reimer-less team.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:05 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Maybe some of the dumber fans. Most realize that a) Kessel won't be able to maintain his 2 PPG pace, b) with abysmal special teams, the hope for a playoff birth is very slim, c) our defense has more holes than swiss cheese.

When all things are considered, quite a few fans consider the Leafs to be extremely lucky to be where they are, considering the crap effort they keep coming out with night after night.

It's the product of 6 periods, actually.

All 6 vs. Boston.

other than those 6 periods, this team hasn't had a bad game, has been in every game, and hasn't even been poor defensively.

Old
11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
dimi78

Quote:

Wow! You don't get a 9-4-1 record with a crap effort night after night dude maybe you should stop picking at this teams mistakes you just might see that this is a pretty good team which has achieved this record without it's number 1 goalie in the past 9 games in spite of it's flaws.

Can I ask you do you expect perfection mistake free hockey to be pleased with this team? If you do your always going to find flaws cause there's no such thing as mistake free hockey that's why this game has goalies

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
It's the product of 6 periods, actually.

All 6 vs. Boston.

other than those 6 periods, this team hasn't had a bad game, has been in every game, and hasn't even been poor defensively.
Our 2nd game against the Sens was a complete no show, as was the game against the Flyers. Giving up 3 breakaways to Jagr doesn't constitute poor defensive game? I'm sure I'm forgetting a game or two, but adding the 2 Bruins games to the above two, that's at least 4 out of our 14 games that were brutal from pretty much start to finish.

The other games at least had parts where we played well in stretches, unlike the 3rd period in Sens game, or our defensive coverage against the Devils. It's a lot more than 6 periods.

Old
11-07-2011, 10:20 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

They've had moments of poor defensively play in every game they've played...

AS EVERY TEAM DOES!!!!!!

Some of you act like poor defensive play is the exclusive product of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:22 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Our 2nd game against the Sens was a complete no show, as was the game against the Flyers.
no. being slightly outplayed is not a "complete no show". that's not how it works.

Quote:
Giving up 3 breakaways to Jagr doesn't constitute poor defensive game?
no, not really. not a great defensive game, but for from horrible, especially since the last breakaway only occurred because we were pressing for the tying goal at the very end.

Quote:
I'm sure I'm forgetting a game or two, but adding the 2 Bruins games to the above two, that's at least 4 out of our 14 games that were brutal from pretty much start to finish.

The other games at least had parts where we played well in stretches, unlike the 3rd period in Sens game, or our defensive coverage against the Devils. It's a lot more than 6 periods.
No, it's only the 2gms vs. the Bruins that the Leafs have failed to be in the game much at all.

Old
11-07-2011, 10:24 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1 View Post
An outsider's perspective. I've seen most of Frattin's games over the last four years, and a lot of Colborne in college. And hardly any of Kadri's. It seems to me that Burke is big on grit and physicality. Colborne may be a lot bigger than Frattin, but Frattin seeks contact, and Colborne has usually avoided it. For this role, I would guess Burke would rather have a guy who is big (in his base anyway), fast, strong and not afraid. He'll eventually get the occasional goal, at least, but in the meantime he will play physical hockey, which is in itself a talent.
I agree about the style of play. But.. I don't think Burke is doing the call ups. He's put competent staff on all levels to help out with choices like these. I'm sure he's not watching every single Marlie game to scout the players.

I think it goes like this.

Ron Wilson is in contact with both Eakins (marlie coach) and Burke. Eakins makes the recommendations RW and Burke talk about it and probably go with it.

Old
11-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Captain Clutch 13

Seems we're split down the middle between Kadri and Frattin. Team Frattin likes his defense and thinks his offense will improve while Team Kadri likes his offense and thinks his defense will improve. Im on team Kadri just because I think there's a better chance a smart player like Kadri will figure out defense before Frattin magically figures out offense.

Remember its not Frattin vs Kadri, its Frattin AND Kadri. They are both maple leafs let's not piss on either one just because the others slightly better.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:29 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Agree to disagree. I'm sure we'll find another thread to rehash this debate, but we've gotten quite off topic in the thread.

Let the Kadri bashing resume.

Old
11-07-2011, 10:30 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Really wanted to see Colborne, but oh well. Frattin is a nice fit on the third line, he just needs to think better offensively and use linemates more instead of pulling a Jason Blake. Defensively he's fine which is nice.

Still though, this obsession and gushing over Frattin is damn irritating. He's one of my favourite prospects and I was raving about this guy after his hot streak to end the 2009-2010 season, but some people here take it too far. It always ends up being Frattin vs Kadri somehow.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:40 PM
jughead42*

I knew it wouldn't be long. Now all the Kadri fan boys can start whining about how their idol is ripping up the AHL and being annoyed with Burke. Oh wait, Kadri has done jack and squat since getting sent down.... welcome back Frattin!

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:46 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I knew it wouldn't be long. Now all the Kadri fan boys can start whining about how their idol is ripping up the AHL and being annoyed with Burke. Oh wait, Kadri has done jack and squat since getting sent down.... welcome back Frattin!
The idiocy of Leaf fans sometimes

Why are people making it into Frattin vs Kadri? And watch the games instead of looking at the scoresheet, cause those that have actually been watching carefully have said themselves that Kadri has looked very good and has created chances.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:50 PM
ECanuck
FLOATERS

Kadri all the way. Frattin is becoming Wilson's second Johnny Malkin.

Team Kadri wooo!! Where is team Colborne in this? The guy who is ripping up the AHL? Joe? Colborne?

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:52 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
rather have kadri called up... give the kid a ****** shot

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:53 PM
zeke
#freewilly

I'm on Team Frolborndri

Old
11-07-2011, 10:57 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
rather have kadri called up... give the kid a ****** shot
Think it's ok to let Kadri be for now. He's been bounced around left and right while this has been going on. Whether Armstrong or Conolly gets back in first it'll mean Frattin coming right back down. Better to just let Kadri have some kind of consistency being with one or the other for a while. With Connolly around can be guaranteed that he'll be able to get a chance to come up eventually.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Team kadri
Vs
Team colborne
Vs
Team frattin
Vs
People with common sense, who realize that all 3 are our prospects ...

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Tommy Torini
Hell of a thing baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Team kadri
Vs
Team colborne
Vs
Team frattin
Vs
I find it hilarious that a fanbase can fight so vehemently amongst each other about prospects belonging to the same team.

Well, more sad than hilarious.

Tommy Torini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Very solid bet that the Leafs challenge for top-10 offensively, maybe more if guys like Kessel and Lupul legitimately break through.

I dont think the Leafs will be either a top 5 scoring team or a bottom 5 defensive team, assuming Reimers concussion is mild and he doesnt miss that much time.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Team kadri
Vs
Team colborne
Vs
Team frattin
Vs
Can I sign up for one of the many apparently vacant spots in that fourth group?

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote