HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Old
12-23-2011, 01:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Im so happy the NHLN will be showing so many WJC games this year. I just wish we had more Russian and Swedish coverage. Oh well. I LOVE World Juniors. I really hope the NHLN picks up the Mem Cup this year too. I can't get enough Jr. Hockey.

12-23-2011, 04:11 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Same here. It's always nice around the holidays to catch this tournament. Watched so many future stars play there.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Wow. Check out the second efforts on a good many of these Hudon goals. Very pretty and very impressive. Looks like Briere.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 11:44 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The thing I really like about that highlight video is Hudon's ability to create on a broken play. Too frequently these prospect videos reflect only beautiful break away goals, or guys going totally unmolested inside the circles. That kind of stuff rarely happens in today's NHL. Coverage is generally air tight, sticks stay in lanes, angles are cut off and the NHL has really become a pin ball game in the offensive zone. I love to see a player who can grab a puck that's been bouncing all over the zone, wrangle it in, get control in an instance, and put it in the back of the net before anyone on the ice knows what hit them.

Just think of our ugly ass PP. Pluck flies everywhere, and there's just no order out there. I'd love to see a player like Hudon out there, who can snag a puck, turn around on a dime, and bury it in a flash.

I just feel like that specific skill can translate really well to the NHL, and make a player exceptionally valuable.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Tomas Hertl looked fantastic against a very weak Denmark team. If he can look half as good against the Canadian powerhouse tonight, he will be one everyone's radar.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:10 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hertl was solid defensively and maintained a physical element to his game. No offensive zone chances.

The Czech Republic was badly out coached. They shortened their bench to six forwards right from the start and they played the night before. It took about thirty minutes for them to be totally gassed and completely overwhelmed. That head coach needs to be replaced. That was a coaching loss more than anything. Jiri Fischer looks ready to take over to me.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Magnifique

Ruutu looked decent in the two games I saw him play. I only saw one game with Gormley in it, and he looked okay. Nothing like the number one d-man he was projected to be. At least not to me. Vis looked pretty good. He is still so early in his development as far as goalies go, so I don't feel like judging him too much.

Is Connor Murphy ever going to play hockey again? What the hell is wrong with that guy.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Ruutu looked decent in the two games I saw him play. I only saw one game with Gormley in it, and he looked okay. Nothing like the number one d-man he was projected to be. At least not to me. Vis looked pretty good. He is still so early in his development as far as goalies go, so I don't feel like judging him too much.

Is Connor Murphy ever going to play hockey again? What the hell is wrong with that guy.
I must've watched much different games than you did.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
I must've watched much different games than you did.
Don't get me wrong, Gormley looked good, but he doesn't look like what many are advertising him to be. He looks like he will pan out to be a solid player on the blueline, but people speak of him as if he will be dominant. I just do not see that in him.

As for Ruutu, I'm sticking with what I said. I think he looked decent.

Vis has looked worse if you ask me. He wasn't too bad in the only game I watched.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

OEL is still the future #1 on this team. Yandle, Rundblad and Gormley will round out the top 4. I see Gormley as a fantastic 3 or 4 d-man that can fill in on the top pairing. I think it was rt that said his game reminded him a bit of Z's. I would agree although I think Gormley has better offensive upside than Z ever did.

Visentin's play still scares me. But as mentioned he still has a lot of time to work on the holes in his game.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
lanky

Gormley's been rock solid so far. He always makes a safe smart play. His passes are spot on. He's getting number one pp and pk time. Anytime I've seen Canada down 5 on 3 Gormley's been on the ice. He's not flashy but not once have I seen him make a questionable play. Oh and he did make one outstanding diving knock-away to save a break away for the Finns.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
OEL is still the future #1 on this team. Yandle, Rundblad and Gormley will round out the top 4. I see Gormley as a fantastic 3 or 4 d-man that can fill in on the top pairing. I think it was rt that said his game reminded him a bit of Z's. I would agree although I think Gormley has better offensive upside than Z ever did.

Visentin's play still scares me. But as mentioned he still has a lot of time to work on the holes in his game.
I'll agree with where you placed him. I always envisioned him battling OEL for the number one spot. Then again, it isn't Gormley's fault we are stacked with defensive prospects.

Lanky, I saw that play you are talking about, and I loved it. Just like OEL, Gormley is really good with his stick. I think that is such an underrated skill in hockey.

Perhaps I just need to lower my expectations as far as Gormley's offensive production goes.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
hbk

Quote:

Goalies don't peak until their early 30's. The AHL is littered with goalies who were stars at the WJC only to falter once they made it to the show. Montoya was hardly an AHL backup when we dealt him and he resurrected his career in Long Island. We have Pogge in our system and he was absolutely stellar during his stint.

Visentin has a lot of internal demons to conquer. His game has been inconsistent since the groin injury and this tournament is in his head. Look at the number of posters who solely blame Visentin for the Canada breakdown last year. This is just part of the maturation process.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:50 AM
lanky

Collberg's going to be a big riser on January draft rankings. 3 G 3 A in the first 3 games of the tournament.

My take on the first round

Yakupov R
Grigorenko C

Forsberg L
Galchenyuk C
Collberg R

Girgensons C
Aberg L
Frk R

Guance C
Maidens C
Hertl C
Di Guiseppe L
Faksa C
Zharkov L
Kerdiles L

Old
12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I've been really impressed with Tomas Hertl. Offensively, defensively, and physically impressive. Big bodied kid, undeniable skill, great on the back check, likes to mix it up physically and still looks like he's fourteen years old. I doubt he shaves. He's already lighting up the top men's league over in the Czech Republic, and he's still got a lot of time to even further develop.

He's not a fast skater, but he's excellent positionally, which I think is more important.

Reminds me quite a bit of Martin Hanzal.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:05 PM
mitch27

Absolutely loving Hertl right now. Playing great against the Russians. Everything rt has said is dead on.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:20 PM
lanky

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/

There's some good writeups on this midseason OHL prospect ranking. Gaunce is described in a similar way as rt described Hertl, and Faksa is described as similar to Gaunce. If a big bodied center is on the Coyotes shopping list then I hope they're doing their homework in order to pick the right one.

Old
01-13-2012, 10:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If this draft is tomorrow, we pick ninth.

Old
01-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Kaibur

At #9 I would guess that Yakupov, Forsberg, Galchenyuk and Grigorenko will be off the board unless a few defensemen jump ahead. Who's the next best forward after that? Girgensons?

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
At #9 I would guess that Yakupov, Forsberg, Galchenyuk and Grigorenko will be off the board unless a few defensemen jump ahead. Who's the next best forward after that? Girgensons?
Yeah. Probably Girgensons, Gaunce, Collberg, and Aberg.

I might trade down a few spots for Hertl. As much as I'd hate to do it, I might be forced to take Trouba if he's on the board. Oh lord not another D.

Last edited by rt: 01-13-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old
01-14-2012, 09:08 AM
PhoPhan

Maybe Maloney's plan all along has been to hoard all of the best D prospects so there are none left for anyone else, forcing them to go off the board and draft defensemen, letting the forwards fall to the Coyotes.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:49 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Maybe Maloney's plan all along has been to hoard all of the best D prospects so there are none left for anyone else, forcing them to go off the board and draft defensemen, letting the forwards fall to the Coyotes.
I didn't even realize! He's a genius!

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If this draft is tomorrow, we pick ninth.
When Hanzal comes back, the Coyotes will start winning again.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:19 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
I didn't even realize! He's a genius!
Yeah he should be negotiating the sale of the team!

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Yeah he should be negotiating the sale of the team!
Sounds more like a fool's errand that a genius' trade.