HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Old
01-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Kaibur

vCash: 500
I think the only time Maloney has traded up was when he gave up two 2nd rounders to get Tikhonov. Nonetheless, if we're sellers and get another later round first for one of the vets, I hope he looks into trying to trade into the top 5. We need game breaking talent more than anything.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I think the only time Maloney has traded up was when he gave up two 2nd rounders to get Tikhonov. Nonetheless, if we're sellers and get another later round first for one of the vets, I hope he looks into trying to trade into the top 5. We need game breaking talent more than anything.
Maloney had a deal in place to move up to #7 with Carolina to draft Johansson back in 2010; however, that was scrapped after Columbus drafted him at #4.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Maloney had a deal in place to move up to #7 with Carolina to draft Johansson back in 2010; however, that was scrapped after Columbus drafted him at #4.
Any idea what the details were? We had #13, but what else were we using to move up those 6 spots?

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:50 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Any idea what the details were? We had #13, but what else were we using to move up those 6 spots?
the normal cost is a 2nd + the org's first pick. I think that's a safe assumption as to the type of deal that was worked out; especially in this draft where picks 6-14 were all perceived to have similar type potential.

Last edited by hbk: 01-14-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old
01-14-2012, 04:30 PM
BUX7PHX

Gaunce seems like the player that would fit the team best...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
the normal cost is a 2nd + the org's first pick. I think that's a safe assumption as to the type of deal that was worked out; especially in this draft where picks 6-14 were all perceived to have similar type potential.
Gormley is great anyhow. Then again, so is Skinner. Hmmm...

01-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

Ok, we still sit in 10th place. With Galchenyuk still mending, he has fallen in the rankings and appears that he along with Gaunce, Girgensons and Collberg will be available. My ranking:

Galchenyuk
Girgensons
Gaunce
Collberg

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:01 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Ok, we still sit in 10th place. With Galchenyuk still mending, he has fallen in the rankings and appears that he along with Gaunce, Girgensons and Collberg will be available. My ranking:

Galchenyuk
Girgensons
Gaunce
Collberg
I'd rank those:
Galchenyuk
Collberg
Gaunce
Girgensons

But I haven't seen much of any of them so it's just based off of reading and highlights.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Hard to believe we'll get a top 10 pick. This isnt a Gretzky team.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:55 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Hard to believe we'll get a top 10 pick. This isnt a Gretzky team.
2 years ago we couldn't lose a shootout. This year we can't win one if our season depended on it. Just the way things go.

We do have some very good pieces though. OEL looks amazing in particular. And although I've suggested he be moved under the right circumstances Yandle still has games where just flat out dominates. Too bad Doan wasn't 7 years younger.

Old
01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I was much more impressed with Tomas Hertl than I was with any draft eligible prospect at the U20s. I am excited for the MemCup where hopefully I can check out a few more players.

Right now, I like Aberg who is tearing up the 2nd best league in the world. I also like Hertl who is doing awesome in the top Czech league and looked fantastic against the elite of his peer group in the WJC.

Last edited by rt: 01-20-2012 at 06:23 PM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

And hence GMDM should be packaging one of our players (i.e. Goncharov, Stone, Kessy, Ruutu, etc...with 2 seconds to move up into the late 1st to grab Hertl or Aberg...as both are slotted for the back end of the 1st round.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:32 PM
mitch27

Quote:
And hence GMDM should be packaging one of our players (i.e. Goncharov, Stone, Kessy, Ruutu, etc...with 2 seconds to move up into the late 1st to grab Hertl or Aberg...as both are slotted for the back end of the 1st round.
If we got both Galch and Aberg/Hertl I'd do backflips.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:06 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I was much more impressed with Tomas Hertl than I was with any prurient draft eligible prospect at the U20s. I am excited for the MemCup where hopefully I can check out a few more players.

Right now, I like Aberg who is tearing up the 2nd best league in the world. I also like Hertl who is doing awesome in the top Czech league and looked fantastic against the elite of his peer group in the WJC.
This is a family site.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:21 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I see Aberg top twelve on most lists. Usually ahead of Guance, Girgensens, and Collberg.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:22 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
This is a family site.
Hahahahaha. What the ****? My phone is a knuckle head. Possibly the best typo of my life.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:28 AM
PHX FireBirds18

I haven't been able to see some of these other forwards but if we somehow ended up with Galchenyuk, I would be thrilled. Reminds me of Jamie Benn who I hate so much.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd probably take Galchenyuk third overall. I quite honestly don't quite get Murray hype. I thought Trouba was a whole hell of a lot more impressive in every aspect during the WJCs. I've never seen Dumba or Ceci, and there is no way Forsberg is in the same league as Galchenyuk.

I might take Grigorenko over Yakupov, too. Yakupov is small and he plays big. I don't see Ovechkin playing like Ovechkin anywhere near as effectively as he does if he were 5'10 185lbs. This was why Brule dropped. He plays a power forward game but is quite small.

Grigorenko plays a really pro style game. Slows the play down and distributes with lighting quickness and as smooth as you like. He could probably improve half the power plays in the NHL right now, today.

Galchenyuk I see as kind of a combination of the two players. Plays with a ton of speed like Yakupov but is a slick playmaker like Grigorenko. Definitely a lot bigger than Yakupov but not as good sized as Grigorenko.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:25 PM
lanky

I read a rumour that Galchenyuk could be coming back to play for the Sting this year. If he played well that would cement him as a top 5 pick. Unless the Yotes drop a few spots in the standings and then win the lottery, I don't see them having a shot at Galchenyuk.

Faksa is still the guy I'm hoping for. Even if Gaunce, Girgensons and Hertl are still on the board. He's put up 38 points in 28 games since Oct. 23. This is his first season in the OHL and on small ice. He's putting up serious points but he's still considered a good two way center. I think what I find most appealing about him though is that he's a good skater and can play the game at a high speed. Other than Grigorenko and Galchenyuk, Faksa seems the most able to fill the role of a first line center.

lanky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:38 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Anaheim is heating up. We could be in the 6th spot in the draft pretty soon. Is it only top 3 that have a shot at the #1 pick?

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Faksa was a total passenger in the WJCs. Very poor showing. I realize it's just one tournament but Hertl looked worlds better. Like Malkin versus Pyatt.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Anaheim is heating up. We could be in the 6th spot in the draft pretty soon. Is it only top 3 that have a shot at the #1 pick?
I believe you can move up from #5 to #1. Chicago got incredibly lucky to pick Kane in 2007. Didn't matter much to us because I recall that the Coyotes were looking to move up to #1 to take Turris and there's no guarantee Kane or JVR would have worked here.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:43 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Who ever wins the lottery moves up 4 places.
If the Coyotes go into sell mode they can get that #3 spot by tanking. I'm sure LaBarbera will help...

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:07 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Who ever wins the lottery moves up 4 places.
If the Coyotes go into sell mode they can get that #3 spot by tanking. I'm sure LaBarbera will help...
If we give him the majority of the starts there's no doubt we'll be picking first overall.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:44 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Faksa was a total passenger in the WJCs. Very poor showing. I realize it's just one tournament but Hertl looked worlds better. Like Malkin versus Pyatt.
It's just one tournament and it's a tournament for 19 year olds. So many people were disappointed with Couturier's performance at the tourny last year and his draft stock fell as a result. He has turned out pretty well so far. It just doesn't seem fair to me to criticize a 17 year old for a bad performance at the WJC.

Anyways Hertl was great, definitely more effective than Faksa. But when I make judgments on prospects I put a lot of weight on skating ability and in this one respect I think Faksa is superior. I've barely seen either one of them play so my opinions are based mostly on stuff floating around the internet.

lanky is online now   Reply With Quote