HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ryan Callahan is awesome thread

Old
12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
If he stays healthy I think he will be a 30 goal scorer this year.

Evidence that all you need to succeed in this league is a little skill and a hell of a work ethic.

12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Just like last year the only thing that can stop him from hitting 30 goals is injuries. 20 games in he has 10 so 30 isn't out of the question at all.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I think it's time give a little shout out to Chris Drury. Yes, he was a massive detriment to the team towards the end of his contract, but it's thrilling to see Callahan become the player we wanted Drury to be. Possibly better, if stats aren't all that matters to you.
It's no coincidence that Cally and Dubi are our best penalty killing forwards, each had time working with Drury, who when he played, was easily our best penalty killing forward. Their styles of play are also not too dissimilar. Defensive minded, two way play. Always hanging around the goal mouth to slam a puck in. Cally ramps up the physical portion of his game, which is always a sight to see. Seeing someone 5'11' take a run at and then a slap shot from Zdeno Charizard is downright inspiring.

The kind of player Drury WAS would be perfect for this team. We like our locals, we're a VERY American team (most in the NHL? anyone know?), and that style of defensive, solid north south play became the entire identity of the team. Perhaps he was kept around to groom the team?

I for one, as a Rangers fan, am willing to bury the hatchet with Chris Drury.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
*snip*
Agreed. Cally is what Drury was supposed to be.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

The guy does everything in his power to win us some games. He was a no-brainer for captaincy and I sure hope he wears that C for a long time, there's no one else who deserves it more.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Captain Calli's "C" could stand for Courage or complete, which is what type of player he is...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

If he stays healthy, he could be a 70+ point player this season.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

He is a very good player. Perfect fit for the type of team that the Rangers are. Love watching him play, he never takes a shift off and loves playing physical.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:57 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Ordered my Callahan winter classic jersey last night. So pumped!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:42 PM
trilobyte

I still believe that Callahan is improving his hockey smarts, and that is going really well with the hard work he is known for. I commented in the thread about Cally being one the best passers in the league, saying that no he is not one of the best in the league. However, I think he is getting better at the timing of passes, when to hold it and when to pass. Just basically improving in front of us.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:57 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
I think it's time give a little shout out to Chris Drury. Yes, he was a massive detriment to the team towards the end of his contract, but it's thrilling to see Callahan become the player we wanted Drury to be. Possibly better, if stats aren't all that matters to you.
It's no coincidence that Cally and Dubi are our best penalty killing forwards, each had time working with Drury, who when he played, was easily our best penalty killing forward. Their styles of play are also not too dissimilar. Defensive minded, two way play. Always hanging around the goal mouth to slam a puck in. Cally ramps up the physical portion of his game, which is always a sight to see. Seeing someone 5'11' take a run at and then a slap shot from Zdeno Charizard is downright inspiring.

The kind of player Drury WAS would be perfect for this team. We like our locals, we're a VERY American team (most in the NHL? anyone know?), and that style of defensive, solid north south play became the entire identity of the team. Perhaps he was kept around to groom the team?

Here here! Not to mention Drury and Cally were both picked to play for Team USA in the Olympics. Good post!

I would have to say Cally is the front runner for the Selke this year. He hits, he scores, he blocks shots,.... but it's his breaking up plays that continues to amaze me. His stick is like a puck magnet. He gets his stick on pucks in passing lanes more often than any forward I have ever seen.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:13 PM
ecemleafs

anyone else noticed that hes become a bigger POS on the ice in the way dubi is? gets into more altercations after this whistle, roughs it up a bit more. i like it...

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
anyone else noticed that hes become a bigger POS on the ice in the way dubi is? gets into more altercations after this whistle, roughs it up a bit more. i like it...
He was pissed at somebody against Toronto. I wouldn't call him a piece of **** though.

Old
12-06-2011, 02:25 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post

Evidence that all you need to succeed in this league is a little skill and a hell of a work ethic.
I don't think that's ALL you need. I'd say that if it is evidence of anything, it's that elite hockey sense and an excellent work ethic, which tends to result in a mastery of the fundamentals, can more than make up for not being the most skilled player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Cally has 12 goals and 8 assists in 26 games.

Do you think he maintains this pace?

Old
12-11-2011, 01:24 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Cally has 12 goals and 8 assists in 26 games.

Do you think he maintains this pace?
Yes, he's on pace for around 65-70 points.

Last year he was on pace for 65 points until he got injured.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
I don't really like it. I'd rather have a captain with more class like a Nik Lidstrom as opposed to a **** disturber like a Phaneuf. But that's just me.

Or someone like Iginla, who'll let his play speak actions, just hitting the opposing player with an extra nudge or two. No after whistle ********, really don't like to see that.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:47 AM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post

A little skill?! Our Captain is so freaking skilled its not even funny. Stick checking skills, defensive smarts ... this guy is the perfect mix of o and d skill, plus off course the work ethic of 19th century lumberjack!

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I don't really like it. I'd rather have a captain with more class like a Nik Lidstrom as opposed to a **** disturber like a Phaneuf. But that's just me.

Or someone like Iginla, who'll let his play speak actions, just hitting the opposing player with an extra nudge or two. No after whistle ********, really don't like to see that.
Disagree completely, he is a perfect example to this team on how to give 110% every game, every shift, he is a true leader, what more could you ask for form him?

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:37 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN88 View Post
Stick checking skills, defensive smarts ... this guy is the perfect mix of o and d skill,
Agree. Cally has a well balanced blend of O & D. His gives it his all every shift and has that 80 grit to him.

The only thing that worries me is that the style he plays, will usually take a huge toll on his body.. ala Chris Drury. Yes, I did indeed say his name...

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
Agree. Cally has a well balanced blend of O & D. His gives it his all every shift and has that 80 grit to him.

The only thing that worries me is that the style he plays, will usually take a huge toll on his body.. ala Chris Drury. Yes, I did indeed say his name...
Ryan Callahan = Chris Drury

I said that the year Drury was signed. They play the same balls-to-the-wall style players.

People will never give Drury credit for Callahan's maturation process, but it is evident to this fan.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Ryan Callahan = Chris Drury

I said that the year Drury was signed. They play the same balls-to-the-wall style players.

People will never give Drury credit for Callahan's maturation process, but it is evident to this fan.
I'm there.

Quote:

Old
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
ohbaby

In that game when he scored that shorthanded goal,.. You know when he protected the puck with a d-man on his back, then swung around and shot it under the goalies pads.... How did that ever go in? Anyway to me, that was not even the best play by him that night.

Remember Richards goal when he fake a slapshot, change his angle and wristed one over the goalies shoulder, top shelf? It was all Cally that made that possible. He was at the point keeping the puck in,... I still don't know how he got his stick on that puck,.... but that led to Richards being all alone on the other side, which Cally neatly dished the puck to.

That was just an awesome play by the Captain.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...67389&fr=false The first second of the video. If you blink you'll miss it. I had to replay it over and over to really appreciate it.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
In that game when he scored that shorthanded goal,.. You know when he protected the puck with a d-man on his back, then swung around and shot it under the goalies pads.... How did that ever go in? Anyway to me, that was not even the best play by him that night.

Remember Richards goal when he fake a slapshot, change his angle and wristed one over the goalies shoulder, top shelf? It was all Cally that made that possible. He was at the point keeping the puck in,... I still don't know how he got his stick on that puck,.... but that led to Richards being all alone on the other side, which Cally neatly dished the puck to.

That was just an awesome play by the Captain.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...67389&fr=false The first second of the video. If you blink you'll miss it. I had to replay it over and over to really appreciate it.
Five hole on Cally's shorthanded goal. Enroth didn't have his legs together tight enough.