HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "What has happened to Chris Stewart" Thread for Outsider Fans

Old
11-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Cardboardbox

vCash: 500
Do you think Stewart will come back less agressive than before?

Cardboardbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:11 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboardbox View Post
Do you think Stewart will come back less agressive than before?
Probably more, partly because he can't be any less aggressive than he was. I wouldn't say that his hit was because he was overly aggressive though.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Herb25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Probably more, partly because he can't be any less aggressive than he was. I wouldn't say that his hit was because he was overly aggressive though.
Kronwall sure did a good job to make it look that way though.

Herb25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:24 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb25 View Post
Kronwall sure did a good job to make it look that way though.
Ok we get it, you think Kronwall faked it. I think it was a lazy hit by Stewart and apparently Shanahan agrees with me.

Old
11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Herb25*

I think Stewart will have a great season the rest of the year.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:01 AM
actionhank1786

Quote:
I think Stewart will have a great season the rest of the year.
I hope so. I'm betting the time off will get him motivated to get back into the game. Here's hoping Shannahan did us a favor by giving him 3 games off. A week of no hockey should get Stewart pumped to come back and give people something to talk about other that a beginning slump, and an unneeded hit.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:02 PM
BrooksBets

Avs fan here....

I haven't seen Stewart play much this year and I've been a fan of him since he broke out in Colorado. However, he had huge problems with consistency and we were never sure if he would be able to put it all together on a consistent basis. He's also not a spring chicken anymore...at 24 you would expect him to be thriving by now.

For people who have watched him...is it a case of him not playing well, not having the right linemates, being snake-bitten, not motivated?

I see he has a lot of shots...so it's clear it's not a case of him not getting the puck on net. I'm wondering if he's fading into obscurity or he's just perennially inconsistent. I also wonder if Hitchcock will help or hurt his development....losing ice time on the PP is not a good sign, but hopefully he can become more of an all-around player.

BrooksBets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:03 PM
BlueBeard

To me it's a whole lot of little things that aren't going right. Making cutesy passes that end up in the defender's skates, being slightly out of position to receive a good pass, just a hair behind in following the play to make sure the goalie is screened when a shot is taken. I trust in Hitch's ability to get Stewart to play a simple, effective game and that should turn his season right around once he gains some confidence.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:18 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyk1133 View Post
Avs fan here....

I haven't seen Stewart play much this year and I've been a fan of him since he broke out in Colorado. However, he had huge problems with consistency and we were never sure if he would be able to put it all together on a consistent basis. He's also not a spring chicken anymore...at 24 you would expect him to be thriving by now.

For people who have watched him...is it a case of him not playing well, not having the right linemates, being snake-bitten, not motivated?

I see he has a lot of shots...so it's clear it's not a case of him not getting the puck on net. I'm wondering if he's fading into obscurity or he's just perennially inconsistent. I also wonder if Hitchcock will help or hurt his development....losing ice time on the PP is not a good sign, but hopefully he can become more of an all-around player.
He started off looking great. Then he and Berglund went into a simultaneous slump and the whole team was terrible on the powerplay. Last year, he was awesome for the Blues on the powerplay and when he'd score one goal, he could smell blood in the water and he'd want another. The goals didn't come, so he slumped; and I disagree with people who say he looks disinterested. I honestly think it's just confidence. He doesn't realize how good he can be when things aren't going right for him, so he makes safe, predictable plays instead of ones that made him successful before.

But he's still playing sound hockey even though he's not lighting it up. He's hitting, battling for the puck, making fine passes, and making space for his linemates, but he's not creating. Like I said, safe plays. And, especially, he just hasn't gotten the puck around the net as much. That's the trait that has always stood out to me about Stewart - he reads the play and uses his speed, body, and soft hands to get the puck and get off a dangerous shot in areas where most players cannot consistently get the puck and never have time to snipe - down low. To me, that's symptomatic of over-thinking. I think seeing that he can contribute on the penalty kill will help his confidence some, but just one lucky goal could be a big part of a turn-around.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:24 PM
BrooksBets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
He started off looking great. Then he and Berglund went into a simultaneous slump and the whole team was terrible on the powerplay. Last year, he was awesome for the Blues on the powerplay and when he'd score one goal, he could smell blood in the water and he'd want another. The goals didn't come, so he slumped; and I disagree with people who say he looks disinterested. I honestly think it's just confidence. He doesn't realize how good he can be when things aren't going right for him, so he makes safe, predictable plays instead of ones that made him successful before.

But he's still playing sound hockey even though he's not lighting it up. He's hitting, battling for the puck, making fine passes, and making space for his linemates, but he's not creating. Like I said, safe plays. And, especially, he just hasn't gotten the puck around the net as much. That's the trait that has always stood out to me about Stewart - he reads the play and uses his speed, body, and soft hands to get the puck and get off a dangerous shot in areas where most players cannot consistently get the puck and never have time to snipe - down low. To me, that's symptomatic of over-thinking. I think seeing that he can contribute on the penalty kill will help his confidence some, but just one lucky goal could be a big part of a turn-around.
In other words you think it's just a temporary slump. I'm getting the sense that most STL fans aren't worried about his long-term value even though he's been very streaky his entire (and short) career.

I still think his upside is monsterous, but you can only live off potential for so long.

BrooksBets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:01 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyk1133 View Post
In other words you think it's just a temporary slump. I'm getting the sense that most STL fans aren't worried about his long-term value even though he's been very streaky his entire (and short) career.

I still think his upside is monsterous, but you can only live off potential for so long.
That's fair to say.

I actually think this 3 game suspension may end up being just what the doctor ordered. He'll come back hungry, and has had time to watch. Its hard to grip the stick too tight when you're just glad to get back out on the ice.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Mike Liut

Stewart is much more like Boyes than Backes. He just doesn't fit the Blues style imo. Doesn't backcheck and doesn't hit. With Perron coming back, I would look to move Stewart for a top 4 tough defenseman. I would even package a prospect like Rattie to get a really good Dman. I would rather move Stewie than give him an extension.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
stlweir

Waaaaaaaay to early to give up on Stewart. Right now the Blues need more scoring not a big tough LD. (although that would be nice) No way I trade Rattie unless it's a "deal you can't refuse".

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Waaaaaaaay to early to give up on Stewart. Right now the Blues need more scoring not a big tough LD. (although that would be nice) No way I trade Rattie unless it's a "deal you can't refuse".

I am talking about an elite shut down dman

Old
11-29-2011, 11:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Stewart is much more like Boyes than Backes. He just doesn't fit the Blues style imo. Doesn't backcheck and doesn't hit. With Perron coming back, I would look to move Stewart for a top 4 tough defenseman. I would even package a prospect like Rattie to get a really good Dman. I would rather move Stewie than give him an extension.
Yeah, he really doesn't fit what we want to do, but if when he is on, he is great, hopefully Perron and can get him going.

Old
11-29-2011, 11:46 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I am talking about an elite shut down dman
Do we even need that anymore with our system?

Old
11-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Do we even need that anymore with our system?

I think so. Come playoff time, it's important.

Old
11-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Herb25*

Quote:
I think so. Come playoff time, it's important.
I don't think Buffalo is going to trade Robyn Regehr already, Pronger & Chara are probably untouchable.

Who do you have in mind as this "elite shutdown d-man"?

Stewart disappointed me the other night against Columbus. Not challenging Methot after what he did to Langenbrunner and allowing Dorsett to mug Oshie towards the end of the game along the boards.

Trade him, but the Blues need toughness in return. Zack Kassian would be nice, but I doubt Buffalo wants to trade him now, after his brief audition.

Old
11-30-2011, 12:03 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I don't think Buffalo is going to trade Robyn Regehr already, Pronger & Chara are probably untouchable.

Who do you have in mind as this "elite shutdown d-man"?

Stewart disappointed me the other night against Columbus. Not challenging Methot after what he did to Langenbrunner and allowing Dorsett to mug Oshie towards the end of the game along the boards.

Trade him, but the Blues need toughness in return. Zack Kassian would be nice, but I doubt Buffalo wants to trade him now, after his brief audition.
You seem to really, really like toughness.

But, your idea of Stewart for Ruutu and Gleason would be a great deal.

Old
11-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Herb25*

Quote:
You seem to really, really like toughness.

But, your idea of Stewart for Ruutu and Gleason would be a great deal.
Do you think Anthony would like that?

Old
11-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Stewart played well tonight, just a matter of time. No need to make any changes to this line up.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Herb25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Stewart played well tonight, just a matter of time. No need to make any changes to this line up.
He has a hard time staying on his skates. Too easy to knock him off balance and off the puck.

The Avalanche game is where Stewart has to break out of this funk.

Old
11-30-2011, 12:19 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
He has a hard time staying on his skates. Too easy to knock him off balance and off the puck.

The Avalanche game is where Stewart has to break out of this funk.
If there is ever a game for him to get fired up for, this one is it.

Old
11-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Anyone else notice he plays better when paired with Mcdonald?

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:27 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
Anyone else notice he plays better when paired with Mcdonald?
Nope.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote