HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller has explicit desire to return to net and win

Old
11-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

vCash: 500
I'd bet almost anything Miller comes out tomorrow night and just dominates.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:09 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

How about you back your words up Ryan instead of pouting. The whole reason this started was because of Mr Softee coming back around.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:00 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
I'd bet almost anything Miller comes out tomorrow night and just dominates.
yeah I have a feeling he's going to have a huge night.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
How about you back your words up Ryan instead of pouting. The whole reason this started was because of Mr Softee coming back around.
You can't burn the guy because he was interviewed and answered a question.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:47 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Ryan Miller has answered questions from the media every different way possible. No matter what he says, someone wants to complain about what he did or did not say, or how he delivered the message.

Fans should be smarter than that. Let Toronto and Montreal be the cities that try to run good players out of town by moronic media and unintelligent fan rambling. We can be better.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:34 AM
ohheyimmark

Lindy referred to our goalie situation as more like "1A and 1B" than "1 and 2." He also stated his mind was made up after the Ottawa game.

Is Enroth going to start again? I'm starting to question what he is doing here...

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:11 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
Lindy referred to our goalie situation as more like "1A and 1B" than "1 and 2." He also stated his mind was made up after the Ottawa game.

Is Enroth going to start again? I'm starting to question what he is doing here...
I'm starting to think Lindy is actually elite.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
He's a hit n run poster and rarely backup his sometimes off the wall statements. Miller is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. It's amazing how people read into things 5 different ways from the same words.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
He's a hit n run poster and rarely backup his sometimes off the wall statements. Miller is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. It's amazing how people read into things 5 different ways from the same words.
As Beechsack pointed out, it's best if you just accept that no matter what Miller says or does, he's not going to win with some people. If he gets fired up like this, he's letting his emotions get the best of him or talking the talk but not walking the walk. If he's more subdued like in Ottawa, he's pouting or not supporting his teammates. If he talks about the system after a loss, he's placing blame on the rest of the team (even though he talks about the system after wins, too). People will take whatever he says and twist it to fit their image of Miller. Don't worry about it.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:49 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
As Beechsack pointed out, it's best if you just accept that no matter what Miller says or does, he's not going to win with some people. If he gets fired up like this, he's letting his emotions get the best of him or talking the talk but not walking the walk. If he's more subdued like in Ottawa, he's pouting or not supporting his teammates. If he talks about the system after a loss, he's placing blame on the rest of the team (even though he talks about the system after wins, too). People will take whatever he says and twist it to fit their image of Miller. Don't worry about it.
Precisely. But I think that applies to most players. Like you were hinting at re: Enroth... watch his "calm, cool demeanor" be perceived as "disinterested and unmotivated/not passionate" if he were ever to become the guy and go through a struggle period.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Precisely. But I think that applies to most players. Like you were hinting at re: Enroth... watch his "calm, cool demeanor" be perceived as "disinterested and unmotivated/not passionate" if he were ever to become the guy and go through a struggle period.
I agree, and that'll likely be one of the arguments against him when or if he ever takes over as the #1 in Buffalo. God help him when he gets a contract that pays for UFA years. Then the honeymoon's over.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:56 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
If Enroth eventually became the starter, people would start to kvetch about him after a period of time too.

The most popular athletes in this town are almost always the backups.

Old
11-08-2011, 11:00 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I agree, and that'll likely be one of the arguments against him when or if he ever takes over as the #1 in Buffalo. God help him when he gets a contract that pays for UFA years. Then the honeymoon's over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
If Enroth eventually became the starter, people would start to kvetch about him after a period of time too.

Agree with both of you here.

I guess with sport in general, especially with passionate fanbases, you'll have a handful of people with an undeniable, unstoppable vendetta for a player or a group of players. A decade on the boards and 6.5 years of posting has taken me through some interesting waves of love/hate sessions with guys here.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:05 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Just look at Tebow in Denver. Inexplicable.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
One question heading into the game is who will start in net. Enroth improved to 4-0 over the weekend, while Ryan Miller has lost four straight. One player told The News on Saturday the Sabres are playing harder for Enroth than they have for Miller.
This is a prime example of the media stirring the pot. I am so sick of this bs....

http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article622818.ece

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:26 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCryceratops View Post
This is a prime example of the media stirring the pot. I am so sick of this bs....

Do you really want to plug your ears and not hear what the players are saying to the media? At least make the la-la-la-la sound when you're doing it.

As long as the player knew he was on the record, I don't see what your problem is with the media. The player stirred the pot. Don't shoot the messenger.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Do you really want to plug your ears and not hear what the players are saying to the media? At least make the la-la-la-la sound when you're doing it.

As long as the player knew he was on the record, I don't see what your problem is with the media. The player stirred the pot. Don't shoot the messenger.
Do you seriously believe that quote was not taken out of context to some extent? A teammate basically throwing his starting goalie under the bus saying they play harder for the back-up than him. It's not a matter of shooting the messenger, it's a matter of questioning whether or not the messenger took the quote out of context.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

I was reading this article today and though it doesn't quite apply exactly to the current situation in Buffalo, it does offer some insight into fans views of back-ups vs starters and some of it does apply here:

Quote:
2. Cory Schneider played well against the Blues tonight, but still suffered a frustrating 0-3 loss. What makes this dynamic so interesting to me is that, the more Luongo struggles, the more Schneider’s reputation will rise. How the fans influence the projected potential of a goaltender plays a role in all of this. I mean, just take the fans’ opinion on contracts for example. Luongo’s is massive, and because of this, he must play at or beyond his expectations on a nightly basis. There’s simply no room for error. But Schneider is so young that he has a margin of error that Luongo will never have again. In terms of their recent performances, if there’s one thing I notice right now, it is their different mindsets and methodologies. Schneider’s feet are quicker, his micro-adjustments are more exaggerated, and his body language is more attentive and alert. But Luongo appears more passive and docile in comparison, and I think that clearly plays a role in what the fans recognize in their two goaltenders. Sometimes I think fans appreciate the active goaltender more, because they can see a more concerted effort to stop the puck. Obviously this is not always the case, but from what the casual and passionate fan perceives, I feel strongly that active goalies are embraced more than passive goalies. How does this influence what is happening in Vancouver? I don’t know, but I have plenty of ideas.
http://thegoalieguild.com/2011/10/se...n-six-goalies/

Mostly in regards to the contracts as well as fans overanalyzing some situations on and off the ice. Here they compare Schneider and Luongo's styles and how the fans embrace that, in Buffalo it has more to do with Miller's comments to the media, not celebrating enoguh for some people after a win, etc.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Mostly in regards to the contracts as well as fans overanalyzing some situations on and off the ice. Here they compare Schneider and Luongo's styles and how the fans embrace that, in Buffalo it has more to do with Miller's comments to the media, not celebrating enoguh for some people after a win, etc.
I think it has more to do with how long Miller has been the starting goaltender. How many people were calling for Darcy's head until they realized that he's actually quite good, just didn't have the funds to do much until now.

It's a matter of people wanting change for change's sake, because they believe the grass has to be greener on the other side.

That said, there are absolutely legitimate and objective criticisms of Miller... but the out and out hatred of Miller is more of the above.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Quote:
Ryan Miller has answered questions from the media every different way possible. No matter what he says, someone wants to complain about what he did or did not say, or how he delivered the message.
Quote:
Dead-on accurate - and never more obvious than the ridiculous question Hamilton posed to Miller about whether or not he thought his practice routine the day after the Flyers game went well. Like Miller replied, the media are now scrutinizing how and what drills he does in practice?

Quote:

True - back in the 90s, there were frequent call-ins to the radio and letters to TBN lobbying for Jim Kelly to be traded and Frank Reich anointed as the starting QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Just look at Tebow in Denver. Inexplicable.
That phenomenon reminds me of the lovefest many in Buffalo had with Flutie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCryceratops View Post

Oddly, it came from Vogl - the least gossip-oriented member of the Buffalo media (other than on food offerings in each city), who claimed an unnamed player as his source on the plane ride back from Ottawa. Yet, Ruff, Vanek, Pominville and Enroth himself all refuted such a theory as utter nonsense.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:47 PM
punkr0x

Quote:
Heck, you could say because Enroth is smaller than the average goalie he's going to get more respect. He has to make sprawling saves where Miller might be able to stay in the butterfly and block the shot.

I think it's reasonable though, especially the way the last couple of years have been. For a Sabres backup, winning a game is a cause for celebration. For Miller, it would be nice if he won the Vezina again. Just different players at totally different levels in their career.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post

The difference between the current media and those of years ago is obvious and striking.

When Jim Kelley was covering the team, if a player made a comment like that, would do some more digging with it. He'd talk to other players on the team, in confidence, to find out if other players felt the same way, or it was something team wide.

Vogl? Just blurts it out there and let's the reader make their own, probably incorrect, inference. He also never explores the reasons why the player made that comment. Maybe the players relax because they assume Miller will cover their mistakes? None of that is considered.

Vogl was poking the bear, and he knew it. The current generation of journalists seem to forget that they aren't supposed to create a story, they're supposed to report on them.

Old
11-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
The difference between the current media and those of years ago is obvious and striking.

When Jim Kelley was covering the team, if a player made a comment like that, would do some more digging with it. He'd talk to other players on the team, in confidence, to find out if other players felt the same way, or it was something team wide.

Vogl? Just blurts it out there and let's the reader make their own, probably incorrect, inference. He also never explores the reasons why the player made that comment. Maybe the players relax because they assume Miller will cover their mistakes? None of that is considered.

Vogl was poking the bear, and he knew it. The current generation of journalists seem to forget that they aren't supposed to create a story, they're supposed to report on them.
I'm not agreeing with Vogl but teams having confidence or the lack of confidence in a goalie is real. Had Vogl approached the issue from a confidence angle his point may have been received differently? For example, it's common knowledge that coaches often pull goal tenders to spark a team, one could say coaches pull goalies hoping the team will play harder for the new goalie. I think Miller will get the next start and do well, some competition for even one of the best in the world is a good thing.

Last edited by Robert: 11-08-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

In re: comment regarding who the team was playing harder for. The most natural reading of that comment is the least controversial: we've played harder for Enroth than Miller. That can more easily be read as an apology to Miller than a sign of locker-room divide. Everyone in the arena can see they played harder for Enroth last week, intentionally or not. Acknowledging it is the first step to correcting it, and that may have been all the player was attempting to do.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:36 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that quote was not taken out of context to some extent? A teammate basically throwing his starting goalie under the bus saying they play harder for the back-up than him. It's not a matter of shooting the messenger, it's a matter of questioning whether or not the messenger took the quote out of context.
Exactly! I have a hard time seeing any player making such a bold statement against Miller. Just a quote taken completely out of context, to fuel the fire, and promote readers. In the end it will do more damage than good...

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote