HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-08-2011, 08:16 PM
  #1
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
John Tortorella

do you guys think Torts is doing a good job? For this season, pre-season, camp, and for the two previous years. Is he trying to mold a team into his little ball and try to make it into the Bolts during their championship year?? And if we were to get rid of him, would Mike Sullivan be our coach??
thought, comments questions please

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:19 PM
  #2
useref15
Registered User
 
useref15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,902
vCash: 500
Are we really going to this two games into the season.....?

useref15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:20 PM
  #3
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
Are we really going to this two games into the season.....?
Basically what I was thinking, but I didn't think it was necessary to say it. This thread is pointless.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:21 PM
  #4
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
For Torts to get fired he either has to do something so stupid that gives the team no choice or we start 6-22-2 in the first 30. Even at that I would see trades before Torts going to be honest. We may not agree with his moves but I would take him over Sullivan any day.

Plus hasn't Sather reached his coach firing limit?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:24 PM
  #5
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,444
vCash: 500
I like what he's building here. Obviously these past two games haven't been a good example, but we have an identity and consistent playing style after years of lacking both.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:24 PM
  #6
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Basically what I was thinking, but I didn't think it was necessary to say it. This thread is pointless.
As I said, I was talking about the two prior seasons as well

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:25 PM
  #7
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I like what he's building here. Obviously these past two games haven't been a good example, but we have an identity and consistent playing style after years of lacking both.

thats true and I cant think straight right now for some reason

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:29 PM
  #8
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4tehwin95 View Post
As I said, I was talking about the two prior seasons as well
Yes, I know, but one can only assume that you started this thread because of our 8-4 loss to Zug and now our 2 losses. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's why you are even thinking about Torts possibly being a bad coach.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:34 PM
  #9
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
Basic problem I have with Tortorella is that he's a hypocrite. He preaches accountability, but is not himself ever accountable. If a media guy asks him a question he doesn't like, he simply refuses to answer it. That and he's a bully who picks on certain players. Oh, and he throws his players under the bus that he, himself, will never allow himself to go under in the media. He's an arrogant POS who made a cup ring into a career. Sounds familiar? He's Mike Keenan lite, except he doesn't have the endearing quality of going behind the guy who hired him's back and trying to make himself the GM over and over again.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:47 PM
  #10
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Basic problem I have with Tortorella is that he's a hypocrite. He preaches accountability, but is not himself ever accountable. If a media guy asks him a question he doesn't like, he simply refuses to answer it. That and he's a bully who picks on certain players. Oh, and he throws his players under the bus that he, himself, will never allow himself to go under in the media. He's an arrogant POS who made a cup ring into a career. Sounds familiar? He's Mike Keenan lite, except he doesn't have the endearing quality of going behind the guy who hired him's back and trying to make himself the GM over and over again.
He only cares about what's best for the team. What's best for the team is usually not what's best for the media to write their stories. That's why he frequently doesn't give them much. He doesn't care about the media, he only cares about his team.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:25 PM
  #11
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Yes, I know, but one can only assume that you started this thread because of our 8-4 loss to Zug and now our 2 losses. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's why you are even thinking about Torts possibly being a bad coach.

Ehh, I could see where your coming from but I thought of this when EC missed that PS( thats not the reason why) and I thought of Avery being sent down. That made me start to contemplate the past two seasons as well

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:48 PM
  #12
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Is anyone else kind of annoyed that he didn't play consistent line combos during preseason? I mean, he played Wolski with Richards and Gaborik for a few games, then at the very end throws Dubinsky in there. We all know Dubinsky is our best LW. Why not play them together from the start to let them try to find chemistry before the season?

IMO, he spent too much time fooling around with the lineup during preseason instead of finding combos that work.

And don't even get me started on the PP.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:04 PM
  #13
92hatchattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
I am sick of Torts. I am no hockey pro, but I really dont think he knows what he's doing. There seems to be no system. Torts system is go go go, and work hard, and when that doesnt work he'll switch some lines around and repeat. Theres no plan out there.. no plan on the PP. The pk is the only thing working for us, and guess what, it was Renney that got are PK working well. It has luckily carried over for us till now.

If you need to know how effective a good coach can be you need look no furether than the Devils last year. End rant

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:13 PM
  #14
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
i
am
not
a
torts
fan

i think if this team starts slowly and he acts like the tool that he is, more will come to the dark side. his act will not play well this season if this team cant score goals.

more than being just a doosh, his in game coaching is weak, his teams seem unprepared and always start slowly, and most importantly, he doesnt seem to be able to make adjustments and fix things that dont work. hello, powerplay???

his teams, imo, are too easy to defend and shut down. his systems are predictable and unproductive and his forechecking and defensive game plans only succeed when your all world goaltender is on top of his game and can win 3-2 or 2-1.

if we give up 3 or more, a torts team usually loses.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:19 PM
  #15
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4tehwin95 View Post
do you guys think Torts is doing a good job? For this season, pre-season, camp, and for the two previous years. Is he trying to mold a team into his little ball and try to make it into the Bolts during their championship year?? And if we were to get rid of him, would Mike Sullivan be our coach??
thought, comments questions please

is this a mock thread?

Its two games, he clearly is annoyed by the whole Europe thing. Did you hear his comment from the presser today? "I just want to get out of here"

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:23 PM
  #16
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
is this a mock thread?

Its two games, he clearly is annoyed by the whole Europe thing. Did you hear his comment from the presser today? "I just want to get out of here"
yeah like being "there" is the problem. not.

the guy is annoyed by anything not john tortorella.

ill give him one thing, hes consistent and hes not fake.

hes just a clown.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:11 PM
  #17
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Yes, I know, but one can only assume that you started this thread because of our 8-4 loss to Zug and now our 2 losses. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's why you are even thinking about Torts possibly being a bad coach.
He's not a bad coach, but he isn't an excellent one either. Let's not beat around the bush, he hasn't accomplished a whole lot with his tenure here. Missed the playoffs one year, made the playoffs on the last game of the season another year to be knocked out in the first round.

Like I said, I don't think he is a "bad" coach, but I can definitely understand why people are skeptic of him.

Tortorella, park your bias against Wolski on the side, put him in the top-6, and let the young kid with talent play. Heading into the first game of the season he gave Wolski limited ice time (bottom-6 / benched the third period), and scratched him the second game. That's not exactly giving someone a fair opportunity. This is a team that struggles to score goals. A reasonable coach would realize that and put one of their most talented players in the line-up or at least give him a chance in the top-6. We have enough of the "hard working" "blue collar" "grinding" players in the line up (Boyle, Callahan, Dubinsky, Fedotenko, Rupp, etc.). Honestly, I'd prefer to have one or two "pure skill" guys in the line up.

Do you know what else a reasonable coach would do? Keep together a line that had proven successful last year (Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan). Absolutely no reason for Fedotenko to be eating up top-6 minutes when you had a line that worked.

Those are two examples, just two games into the season, as to why I'm skeptic of him as head coach. I think it is more sad that he is giving us stuff to discuss just two games into the season.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:16 PM
  #18
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,366
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
the players on the rangers team have all bought into everything he wants. All the players believe in him. I hope that he finally can find a key to this powerplay and the top line, i think it will happen, and i think it won't take too long.

I think torts is doing a good job, and i think we all just need to cut him some slack, it is only 2 games into the season, there is a lot of hockey left to be played

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:28 PM
  #19
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
is this a mock thread?

Its two games, he clearly is annoyed by the whole Europe thing. Did you hear his comment from the presser today? "I just want to get out of here"
Is that what he said?

I have to find the post game online.


Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:32 PM
  #20
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,366
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
i also want to add that the organization changed gears/focus a bit when they brought torts in to the picture. Before torts renney had a group of mainly jagr and jagr's buddies with some young guys, then they went away and drury and gomez were brought in and supposed to be the group to make a legit #1 line, it did not happen, jagr left after that season and just past the halfway mark of the next season renney was fired because the team (i wouldn't say gave up), was just not performing, and in came torts, and now with a few exceptions, this team is mainly homegrown and we got guts and we have a blue collar work attitude, we did not play good in our first 2 games, there were parts that were, but not overall, which gives us hope i think. The thing i love about this team is even when they are not on their game, things are not going their way, they do not give up. Cally is the rightful captain of this team and really plays his heart out.

I want this team to succeed don't get me wrong, but since the lockout this is a team that i feel has been exciting to watch every season, with some speed bumps, but i will take this team with our homegrown talent and the few additions and of course henrik lundqvist any day. I feel this is going to be a great year for them!

Renney was a coach we could all like because of how he was, he was a great guy, a nice guy. Now we have torts who is a rough guy to handle, however, i look around the league at other coaches and i don't think anyone fits the mold needed to coach this rangers team like torts. Torts has given this team and identity, this team last season had a lot of one goal games lost last season, they also never lost a game going into the third winning and they came back in the third to win 8 times, 2nd most in league, penalty kill was good...this team was on the edge of being a fringe playoff team to being a serious playoff team, i think they are past that now, i think they are a serious playoff team. I feel they will work out the kinks and get back to the things they were doing good last season and improve heavily on the things they have struggled with.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:34 PM
  #21
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
i also want to add that the organization changed gears/focus a bit when they brought torts in to the picture. Before torts renney had a group of mainly jagr and jagr's buddies with some young guys, then they went away and drury and gomez were brought in and supposed to be the group to make a legit #1 line, it did not happen, jagr left after that season and just past the halfway mark of the next season renney was fired because the team (i wouldn't say gave up), was just not performing, and in came torts, and now with a few exceptions, this team is mainly homegrown and we got guts and we have a blue collar work attitude, we did not play good in our first 2 games, there were parts that were, but not overall, which gives us hope i think. The thing i love about this team is even when they are not on their game, things are not going their way, they do not give up. Cally is the rightful captain of this team and really plays his heart out.

I want this team to succeed don't get me wrong, but since the lockout this is a team that i feel has been exciting to watch every season, with some speed bumps, but i will take this team with our homegrown talent and the few additions and of course henrik lundqvist any day. I feel this is going to be a great year for them!

Renney was a coach we could all like because of how he was, he was a great guy, a nice guy. Now we have torts who is a rough guy to handle, however, i look around the league at other coaches and i don't think anyone fits the mold needed to coach this rangers team like torts. Torts has given this team and identity, this team last season had a lot of one goal games lost last season, they also never lost a game going into the third winning and they came back in the third to win 8 times, 2nd most in league, penalty kill was good...this team was on the edge of being a fringe playoff team to being a serious playoff team, i think they are past that now, i think they are a serious playoff team. I feel they will work out the kinks and get back to the things they were doing good last season and improve heavily on the things they have struggled with.
Agreed 100%.

Nice to see some optimism.


Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:35 PM
  #22
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,908
vCash: 500
omgz...not 2-0...fire him!

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:39 PM
  #23
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,789
vCash: 500
I never really liked Torts, I still don't like Torts, and I probably never will unless he does something here.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:42 PM
  #24
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,366
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Agreed 100%.

Nice to see some optimism.

thanks...it is not everyday an opinion is respected here lol...maybe i need to come on just after midnight

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:51 PM
  #25
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
i also want to add that the organization changed gears/focus a bit when they brought torts in to the picture. Before torts renney had a group of mainly jagr and jagr's buddies with some young guys, then they went away and drury and gomez were brought in and supposed to be the group to make a legit #1 line, it did not happen, jagr left after that season and just past the halfway mark of the next season renney was fired because the team (i wouldn't say gave up), was just not performing, and in came torts, and now with a few exceptions, this team is mainly homegrown and we got guts and we have a blue collar work attitude, we did not play good in our first 2 games, there were parts that were, but not overall, which gives us hope i think. The thing i love about this team is even when they are not on their game, things are not going their way, they do not give up. Cally is the rightful captain of this team and really plays his heart out.

I want this team to succeed don't get me wrong, but since the lockout this is a team that i feel has been exciting to watch every season, with some speed bumps, but i will take this team with our homegrown talent and the few additions and of course henrik lundqvist any day. I feel this is going to be a great year for them!

Renney was a coach we could all like because of how he was, he was a great guy, a nice guy. Now we have torts who is a rough guy to handle, however, i look around the league at other coaches and i don't think anyone fits the mold needed to coach this rangers team like torts. Torts has given this team and identity, this team last season had a lot of one goal games lost last season, they also never lost a game going into the third winning and they came back in the third to win 8 times, 2nd most in league, penalty kill was good...this team was on the edge of being a fringe playoff team to being a serious playoff team, i think they are past that now, i think they are a serious playoff team. I feel they will work out the kinks and get back to the things they were doing good last season and improve heavily on the things they have struggled with.

The thing is, the team was getting younger regardless of who the coach was. Renney had Dubi on the first line when he was a rookie. It's not like Renney didn't have to deal with youth in the lineup. The first season after the lockout we were projected to be one of the worst teams in the league mainly because of all the kids we had playing.

You talk about us not losing a game going into the third period. The problem with that is, the team blew a huge lead in the playoffs last season. We also blew that huge series lead against Washington in Tort's first year.

Lastly, you say we've gone from being a fringe playoff team to becoming a serious playoff team. That's really only due to the acquisition of Richards. We were a fringe playoff team last year and we flat out missed the playoffs the year before. Under Renney we actually won two playoff series. The same can not be said about the new guy.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.