HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Kings (11.5.11)

Old
11-06-2011, 12:30 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Kings (11.5.11)

Plus

+ Vitale, Cooke, & Asham: Probably our only good line tonight. The three guys were forechecking and backchecking like they meant it. They were the only three guys giving a consistent effort. Asham also continues to have a great year. I love how his playoff game has come over to the regular season.

+ Letang & Engelland: #5 and #58 played very well tonight. Deryk is looking like a top 4 defender while we are injured. How he was ever replaced by Lovejoy for the playoffs is beyond me. Whatever injury Letang has isn't showing. He looks amazing out there.

+ Fleury: Marc-andre really kept us in the game for the most part. He was great. A couple **** turnovers and we left him out to dry. Two goals were not his fault. Nothing Fleury could do. The guy, once again, shows how clutch he can be in the SO. Fleury deserved that win.

+ Sully/Neal: These two guys were trying hard to get some goals but it seemed to me Geno just killed their momentum. I always felt like Neal/Sully were in the right spot, but could never see Geno in my screen.

+ Bort/Picard: Well... I didn't expect much but I thought both guys at least did their part. Picard would be horrible to have as a regular but he did just fine today. I think the minutes they played were quality and on short notice - we will take it.

+ Staal Line (third period only): All three guys looked like garbage for their first 40 minutes, but you cannot deny how hard they worked when we went down 2-1. They elevated their game to another level.

Extra plus to Koons clutchness in the last part of the game.

Minus

- Geno: Horrible game for #71. I wasn't even mad, I was disappointed. 60 total minutes of floating around and looking disinterested. That's not Penguins hockey and that's not why you are being paid almost 9 mil. I hope somebody goes over tape with him and shows just how terrible he was. That was terrible effort.

- Letestu: I'm not sure why he's playing bad, but it just doesn't look good. I know we can't just say that his talent is worthless, because he is good when he's on. His lack of hustle is causing him to lose every battle. Even worse, he refused to backcheck on Kopitars goal. Not good.

- Orpik: Still not back to his old self and the final giveaway killed us tonight. That lead to a 2-1 lead for the Kings. He looks like garbage when the puck is on his stick.

- Leads: Hopefully coach discusses this with the players. We are totally sitting back on our heels when we take the lead. That is just dooming us. This has been an issue for us for awhile. I'd love to see Bylsma fix it.

- Faceoffs: I don't even want to know what the stats were. They had to be terrible.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:31 AM
AgentM

Any word on Sully? Is he okay?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:32 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
As for the Kings: I love Kopitar. That guy is smooth as hell on the ice. I actually like the chippy play, too. They've been a softer team in recent years. I think they can add that grit and make a name for themselves in the postseason.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Genetic

I think this team would scare me in the cup finals....

Genetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:34 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic View Post
I think this team would scare me in the cup finals....
They don't scare me at all. We were as good as them without Sid, Kennedy and Michalek. Add those three guys and we kill them.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Thank you for giving us the first entertaining hockey we've seen in a few games...and not that chicken **** 5-guys-back-at-the-blueline defense that we've been running into!

Good, physical game--hope to see you again soon!

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Illinest

plusses
six days of rest. Then...
Crosby?
Healthy Staal and Malkin?
Return of 3C?
Skyrim?

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pigs On The Wing

Pascal Dupuis is playing some of the best hockey I've ever seen from him. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Genetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
They don't scare me at all. We were as good as them without Sid, Kennedy and Michalek. Add those three guys and we kill them.

But we wont be healthy and sid still wont be playing.

Genetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
+Kunitz. Tying goal and winning shootout goal.
+Fleury. Made the saves he needed to.
+Third period comeback. Being the team that actually comes back and wins a game when trailing in the third is a nice feeling.
+Bortuzzo/Picard. Solid game from the rookie/AHL callup.

-Geno. Apparently Geno was out for a leisurely skate tonight.
-Orpik. His inability to clear the zone when he had all the time and space in the world was what started that poor play where the Kings went ahead 2-1. He doesn't look quite right since returning, IMO.
-Injuries. I just know Sullivan will be out for a while now.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:36 AM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

So happy I stayed up for this game. What a playoff series these two would have.

+ Staal, I'm not sure what he worked on over the summer but, he's developed a little bit of silk in his game. So nifty moves added to his typical barge in assault on goaltenders.

+ Kunitz, delivering.

+ Sulli, getting his first goal of the season, hopefully more to come. However, did he get hurt at the end?

+ Flower, great job keeping the team in the game.

+ Kopitar, I'm sad that I don't get to watch him play more often. Great player.

+ Mike Richards not scoring.

= Team defense, it was off and on. Meh overall.

- Malkin, what is he thinking when he's on the ice? Grocery list? Getting a alignment on the Porsche? It's definatley not the game.

- Vitale's skating. I love everything else but jeesh stay on your feet.

- Asham/Orpik, Lazy play leading to goal against.

sEmowashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:36 AM
ThosePuckingPenguins

Quote:
And Niskanen. I know he's probably not as good/important than Sid, Kennedy and Michalek but he's a lot better than Picard and Bortuzzo.

Even though I will admit, those two guys held their own tonight.

ThosePuckingPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Gumbercules

Quote:
Agreed, there are better teams in the west than LA. They outplayed us tonight, but their depth up front can't compete with the Canucks, Blackhawks and Sharks. At full health, we could take the Kings.

Gumbercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:38 AM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
As for the Kings: I love Kopitar. That guy is smooth as hell on the ice. I actually like the chippy play, too. They've been a softer team in recent years. I think they can add that grit and make a name for themselves in the postseason.
I was gonna say the same thing in regards to Kopitar. Amazing player and such a treat to watch. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he puts himself in a few Art Ross discussions over his career. That pass on the Gagne goal was just something else.

Loved Letang and Sullys games tonight.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Plus

+ Engelland. You already mentioned him, but I wanted to again for emphasis. On nights like tonight, he makes me think he could be another Orpik for us. For real.

Minus

- Bylsma's insistence on splitting up Orpik/Letang. They complement each other perfectly, yet for some reason he wants to break them up whenever we get an injury to our blueline. Enough. It doesn't spread out our talent, it just compromises the best combo we have.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:39 AM
invictus

+ Unless I am mistaken, that was our last game in Pacific time this regular season?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Pancakes

Bortuzzo looked terrible. Picard looked at least serviceable. Malkin is incredibly lazy in the defensive zone, or his knee is bothering him. Fleury has been amazing all season and got us these two points tonight. It's great to have Staal back and his defensive presence is a much needed boost. Our pk is amazing.

Think that about sums up tonight's game for me.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Gumbercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Plus

+ Engelland. You already mentioned him, but I wanted to again for emphasis. On nights like tonight, he makes you think he could be another Orpik for us. For real.

Minus

- Bylsma's insistence on splitting up Orpik/Letang. They complement each other perfectly, yet for some reason he wants to break them up whenever we get an injury to our blueline. Enough. It doesn't spread out our talent, it just compromises the best combo we have.
He's been good, but Orpik's skating is what sets him apart from most physical defensive d-men. Engelland does not have the skating to bring him up to Orpik's level.

Gumbercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:41 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins View Post
And Niskanen. I know he's probably not as good/important than Sid, Kennedy and Michalek but he's a lot better than Picard and Bortuzzo.

Even though I will admit, those two guys held their own tonight.
True, Niskanen is an important piece, he has been very good so far this year.

Old
11-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Bortuzzo looked terrible. Picard looked at least serviceable. Malkin is incredibly lazy in the defensive zone, or his knee is bothering him. Fleury has been amazing all season and got us these two points tonight. It's great to have Staal back and his defensive presence is a much needed boost. Our pk is amazing.

Think that about sums up tonight's game for me.
I don't agree with that at all. He made smart decisions with the puck, kept tight gaps, mixed it up a little, and generally looked confident out there.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:42 AM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
+ Most exciting game of the season so far

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:42 AM
nTsplnk*

Jees a lot of negativity on here tonight.

+ Sully's goal-let's hope he starts potting more in

+ Staal. Honestly, he's starting to look good. He's using his hands, making awesome passes, playing physically.

+ Bortuzzo. He didn't play well, but he was called up, and you could tell it was the nerves. He'll be okay.

+ Engelland and Letang.

+ Asham-this guy is a ridiculously good fourth liner

- Malkin, laziness.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I've gotta agree on, Kopitar. Such a smooth talent. Reminds me a good bit of earlier Geno.

+'s

Sully
Letang
Fleury
Staal
Vitale

HM: Park, Martin, Orpik

-'s

Refs
Asham
Geno
Turnovers
Westcoast trips(costly)

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pigs On The Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Bortuzzo looked terrible.
What makes you say that? I didn't notice him much tonight, which isn't a bad thing for a defenseman. Certainly nothing he did stuck out to me as terrible.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
Agreed, there are better teams in the west than LA. They outplayed us tonight, but their depth up front can't compete with the Canucks, Blackhawks and Sharks. At full health, we could take the Kings.
The Canucks (Luongo sucks) and the Sharks (we can outplay them if healthy, we did for one period and we defended very well against them, they just were better because we didn't have Sid, Staal, Michalek and Kennedy) do not impress me. They are good, but we can take it. The Hawks scare me, but I think we can beat them, if we're healthy.