HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings forward fined for boarding Kunitz

Old
11-06-2011, 10:06 PM
BrookswasHere44

vCash: 500
Letang vs Moreau

I dont think im being biased but how in the world did Letang get 2 games and Moreau just got fined 2.5k? I felt Moreau's was alot worse

Was it simply a "repeat offender" thing for Letang? Im not real sure of Ethan's history.

Sorry if Shanny posted a video on this and sorry if this is wrong spot for this post

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Letang got two games for that punch?? WTF. Did I sleep through a headshot or something? BTW I am glad we're done with west coast games this year. Staying up for these is harder than it used to be.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:23 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Letang got two games for that punch?? WTF. Did I sleep through a headshot or something? BTW I am glad we're done with west coast games this year. Staying up for these is harder than it used to be.
No you missed nothing..im sorry i didnt specify..i was referring to Letangs boarding earlier in the year

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:23 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

I think he's referring to the two game suspension Tang got earlier in the year.

Beat me to it.

sEmowashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:24 PM
AbsolonMoreau*

I would rather not be fined $2.5k

Kinda strange how that worked out though.

AbsolonMoreau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
No you missed nothing..im sorry i didnt specify..i was referring to Letangs boarding earlier in the year
OK good. I thought maybe he got another one for the post-play jab he dished out. That would've pissed me off severely.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Bennett Brauer

Maybe because we are the Pittsburgh Penguins, because "we employ Matt Cooke" because "Mario is a hypocrite"

Let's face it, if the Pens do something, they will get the book thrown at them, if someone does something to one of the Pens, the NHL department of player safety will have a party.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:13 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

It definitely was BS. He should've at least gotten the 2 games Letang got. He ran Kunitz, pure and simple. Letang followed through hard on Burmistrov but at least in that case you could make a very strong argument how he couldn't change his mind in time. Moreau's hit was 100% avoidable and he did it anyways without any restraint.

On a general note in terms of these suspensions, one thing I personally don't like is how they factor in whether or not there was an injury on the play. I don't think that's a good way to set a standard. Kunitz or any player that happened to be in his position COULD have sustained a concussion and if that would've happened Moreau supposedly would have been punished more severely. No, that's not the answer. The answer is you punish people for negligent acts in order to (hopefully) curtail them in the future. You don't wait for it to happen THEN lay down the law. Typical idiocy that you see from this league though.

Last edited by UnderratedBrooks44: 11-07-2011 at 12:22 AM.
UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:34 AM
MyNewNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Comments like this annoy me a little bit. Did you know that there are a lot of Pens fans in Europe who watch every game live and for example the regular starting time for us in Finland is 2 am?

MyNewNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 04:12 AM
TheReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewNick View Post
Comments like this annoy me a little bit. Did you know that there are a lot of Pens fans in Europe who watch every game live and for example the regular starting time for us in Finland is 2 am?
QFT. I have yet to watch a full Pens game this season

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Thank you! Home games start at 1 am for me, for the west coast trip, I had to get up at 4.30 and then go to work right after the game. the crapiest ones start at like 3 am, (9pm eastern time). They're done at like 5.30, too early for work but too late to really get some more sleep.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Thank you! Home games start at 1 am for me, for the west coast trip, I had to get up at 4.30 and then go to work right after the game. the crapiest ones start at like 3 am, (9pm eastern time). They're done at like 5.30, too early for work but too late to really get some more sleep.
that's crazy. No way I could do that.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
that's crazy. No way I could do that.
Hey, I guess you can get used to anything. But that's why I come to Pittsburgh every other year, so I don't have to do that for a week or two :-) Of course the Pens always have at least one game at noon when I'm coming, but that's to be expected haha

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Buzzkiller

Quote:
And what annoys me even more is that some keep calling us bandwagoners and glory hunters and all that kind of **** just because we happen to be fans of a team where Crosby and Malkin play.

I'm definitely a glory hunter when I sleep 3 hours a night just because I watched my favourite team play...

Buzzkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:04 AM
smitcham

You know what bothers me most about this whole Shanahan and the Department of Player Safety... The fact that they only make the videos for hits they decide to punish. I understand why they dont do it for every hit, but at least the few that are questionable and go unpunished.... "This is what we felt happened here and why we didnt suspend/fine on this particular hit.. Etc." It would clear the air and give reasons as to why someone gets punished for basically the same hit later or previously. Still not sure how there wasnt even a hearing on the Cooke hit earlier in the season. Did they even review it? This would clear the air on situations such as that one.

smitcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitcham View Post
You know what bothers me most about this whole Shanahan and the Department of Player Safety... The fact that they only make the videos for hits they decide to punish. I understand why they dont do it for every hit, but at least the few that are questionable and go unpunished.... "This is what we felt happened here and why we didnt suspend/fine on this particular hit.. Etc." It would clear the air and give reasons as to why someone gets punished for basically the same hit later or previously. Still not sure how there wasnt even a hearing on the Cooke hit earlier in the season. Did they even review it? This would clear the air on situations such as that one.
They did do it for the one hit by Malone didn't they? I wish they did it more too.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:09 AM
smitcham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
They did do it for the one hit by Malone didn't they? I wish they did it more too.
Oh i didnt know they did one for Malone. I never saw that one. Well if they have done it before maybe they will start doing it more often, and they absolutely should. They also need to take the "No Apparent Injury" off of their videos and focus on the hits, not the results. Sometimes dangerous plays result in injuries and sometimes they don't. It's time to stop differentiating between the two. Only the action should be taken into account, not the result. If i were to ram someone with my car but by coincidence they were unhurt does it change the fact that i tried to ram them with my car?

smitcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
sawtooth420

I'll say this... Brendan Shanahan is a ****ing hypocrite and should've suspended Moreau if Letang got suspended. Shanny is a dovche bag. Cheap shot artist as a player and a piece of crap NHL exec. Screw him. That is all.

sawtooth420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

why did Shanny use the "repeat offender" thing if it was under a previous regime?

And Moreau should have gotten at least 2 games, Burmistrov turned his back at the last minute and Tang still got a suspension. I guess it all goes back to employing #24...

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:58 PM
farscape1

Kings forward fined for boarding Kunitz

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_765968.html

Los Angeles Kings forward Ethan Moreau was fined $2,500 late Sunday for boarding Chris Kunitz in the first period of the Penguins` win Saturday

Didnt see this posted anywhere, interesting that finally someone got punished for things done against a Penguin. Did see the game and the hit so was this a big deal or just nothing.

Seen others posting where some calls should of been reviewed and heard nothing about them.

With the Penguins getting injured so much, surely dont need other players doing stupid stuff and hurting Kunitz.

farscape1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

He clearly saw Kunitz numbers and hit him into the boards anyway. It was a penalty. I guess he didn't get suspended because he doesn't have a history of this. Letang's hit wasn't suspension worthy, imo, but he did have a similar hit last spring and I guess that's why they sent a message to him by suspending him.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

$2500? Wow that's a strong message.

If you're going to fine a professional athlete, start at 5-10K and even then you probably won't phase him much.

Old
11-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Common Sense

Wow. We do that, and it's probably 5 games. Just a different guy spinning the wheel.

Common Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:55 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

I just saw on NHL On The Fly where he did it again tonight and got two minutes for boarding. The dude should have been suspended.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
$2500 is the max suspension allowed by the CBA.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote