HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get Well Soon Danny Paille! - Confirmed Broken Nose

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-08-2011, 11:00 AM
  #51
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Cage is much more obtrusive on vision and would affect play.
Goalies don't seem to have a problem following the puck.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:42 AM
  #52
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,348
vCash: 500
get well soon paille.

and i dont ever think the nhl will go to full cages. Mainly for the reason that there would be head-hunting all over the place.

Actually if the league went no helmets at all I bet the actual headshots would stop.

that will never happen though

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
  #53
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
Goalies don't seem to have a problem following the puck.
Right. There's a lot of puffery and excuses out there, but the real reason people don't want mandatory cages in the NHL is it would reduce fighting.

Kelly seems to have little trouble seeing the puck with the cage on either as he was on fire for several games after he donned it.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:47 AM
  #54
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
Actually if the league went no helmets at all I bet the actual headshots would stop.
That depends on how much respect you think Matt Cooke and his ilk have for the prospect of seriously injuring people, and whether making it easier is a good idea in light of that conclusion.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:51 AM
  #55
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,854
vCash: 500
Why should the NHL make visors mandatory? These are grown men, they can make a decision for themselves whether they want to wear them or not.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:04 PM
  #56
MarchandsNose
Registered User
 
MarchandsNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southwick, MA
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Why should the NHL make visors mandatory? These are grown men, they can make a decision for themselves whether they want to wear them or not.
True, but I wonder how many of them would have looked back after taking a puck to the eye and wished that they had worn a visor. Better to prevent that sort of scenario imo. I dont think grandfathering the rule in is a bad idea.

MarchandsNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:11 PM
  #57
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Why should the NHL make visors mandatory?
I'm not making a statement one way or the other regarding whether players should or shouldn't wear cages or visors, but one reason they might consider mandating it would be to protect their investment. Same reason they mandate other safety stuff.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:13 PM
  #58
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Why should the NHL make visors mandatory? These are grown men, they can make a decision for themselves whether they want to wear them or not.
Every hockey league in the world makes visors mandatory, with the exception of the NHL. Every player that comes into the NHL these days has always worn a visor, and more than 65 percent of the players wear them today. If the older players don't want them to be mandatory, fine, grandfather them in.

Every arguement that's used against mandatory visors today were used against helmets and even goalie masks back in the day. The game has changed, and continues to change. If goalies played without masks today, you'd have dead goalies. If Steve Stamkos hadn't been wearing a visor last spring, the Lightning players would be wearing black armbands this season. The visor took a chunk out of his nose; a Boychuk slapshot between the eyes could very easily have killed him.

Cages are a different story. Most players wear mouthguards to protect their teeth, but even if they suffer broken teeth or noses, that's not the type of injury that's going to disable or kill them, the way a shot to the eyes would. We joke that Kelly was a better player with the cage, but he himself said he couldn't wait to get it off (and he wears a visor, so there is a difference to the players).

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:17 PM
  #59
HockeyMomx2
Registered User
 
HockeyMomx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PDX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
Goalies don't seem to have a problem following the puck.
Goalie cages also have wider openings in the eye area than are allowed in the regular cages.

HockeyMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:23 PM
  #60
BrewinBruin
Believability
 
BrewinBruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMomx2 View Post
Goalie cages also have wider openings in the eye area than are allowed in the regular cages.
So, other players could have the same wider openings that goalies have.

BrewinBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:25 PM
  #61
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation
 
murphdasmurf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brentwood, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 500
I've used everything. I play goalie on ice and have used a cage, visor and open face in roller hockey. Goalie is a different story as you get your 6th sense going (it exists, theres a reason the goalies are weird stuff makes sense ) and you see right past the cage. As a forward though, it messes with your sight as you need to be more head on a swivel seeing the entire ice rather than focusing only on the puck. And believe it or not a cage keeps a hell of a lot of heat in when skating around and on the bench.

I use a Prospal/Rex/LeClair style shield (basically a 90s one that comes down a little past the nose). You feel safer, can see everything fine as long as theres no scratches or fog, and is cooler (temperature-wise). I feel like these would be the better ones to use since it protects a little more of your nose.


Just my 2 cents.

murphdasmurf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:30 PM
  #62
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Right. There's a lot of puffery and excuses out there, but the real reason people don't want mandatory cages in the NHL is it would reduce fighting.

Kelly seems to have little trouble seeing the puck with the cage on either as he was on fire for several games after he donned it.
Many thanks for doing my thinking for me.

I don't want cages for a variety of reasons -- the most pressing is that I don't see the need.

If you want to eliminate all serious injuries then don't allow anyone to play at all.

Eye injuries and heads hitting the ice? I'm ok with legislation and am ok with helmets & visors.

Legislate broken noses and jaws by mandating cages? No, thank you.

Not unless you'll find a way to legislate equipment that eliminates broken feet from slapshots, separated shoulders from clean checks, accidental cuts from skate blades, torn knee ligaments from clean collisions, etc., etc.


Last edited by Number8: 11-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:50 PM
  #63
chippa13*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
hope he recovers fast. we need his PK skills, speed and effort.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
  #64
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,014
vCash: 500
Wow that looked bad. I remember when Gorges took a slap shot to the back of the helmet, I thought he was dead. How did players play without an helmet before??

Hope he's gonna be OK.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:12 PM
  #65
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Wow that looked bad. I remember when Gorges took a slap shot to the back of the helmet, I thought he was dead. How did players play without an helmet before??

Hope he's gonna be OK.
They didn't shoot the puck head high.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
  #66
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
They didn't shoot the puck head high.
And before helmets you didn't have nearly as many hits to the head. At one point players had more respect for each other. The equipment advances have given players at different levels the ideal they can't get hurt, or hurt others..

I don't want to see cages at the NHL level.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:33 PM
  #67
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Who said anything about fighting?

Visor goes a long way to protecting the eyes and is minimally intrusive on vision -- you could argue that whatever tradeoff in peripheral vision is made up for in protection of eyes -- particularly given that damage to an eye is often irreversible.

Cage is much more obtrusive on vision and would affect play. Plus the only real benefit of a cage over a visor is that it would protect teeth/jaw. If a player wants to risk teeth/jaw injury let them.

Lucic got nicked on the neck by a skate last night -- could have been unbelievably scary. Should we require that players wear mandatory neck shields?

Game has risks -- can't eliminate them all.
Yes. Neck Guards are mandatory at the lower levels of hockey and there's really no reason not to wear one. It's not like they're uncomfortable or impede you in any way.



What would be the big deal about wearing that?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
  #68
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
And before helmets you didn't have nearly as many hits to the head. At one point players had more respect for each other. The equipment advances have given players at different levels the ideal they can't get hurt, or hurt others..

I don't want to see cages at the NHL level.
Yeah... no. It's not about respect for each other, it's about players today being bigger, stronger and ridiculously faster than they were in previous decades. Goalies didn't used to wear masks because nobody used curved sticks, or shot the puck 100 mph. Players didn't wear helmets because they weren't smashing into each other at ridiculous speeds. Watch a game from a few decades ago and you'll think the film is running in slow motion.

Equipment had to be improved because human beings have improved. The average NHLer of 50 years ago looks like a beer leaguer compared to the average player today. There are certainly exceptions, but put the average 1960 NHLer on the ice today and he'd be road kill.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:38 PM
  #69
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,854
vCash: 500
I think the best solution would be to just do EA sports simulations, that way no one would get hurt.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:41 PM
  #70
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yeah... no. It's not about respect for each other, it's about players today being bigger, stronger and ridiculously faster than they were in previous decades. Goalies didn't used to wear masks because nobody used curved sticks, or shot the puck 100 mph. Players didn't wear helmets because they weren't smashing into each other at ridiculous speeds. Watch a game from a few decades ago and you'll think the film is running in slow motion.

Equipment had to be improved because human beings have improved. The average NHLer of 50 years ago looks like a beer leaguer compared to the average player today. There are certainly exceptions, but put the average 1960 NHLer on the ice today and he'd be road kill.
Yeah...no. Lack of respect is a factor, and the equipment changes do have something to do with it. Those hard shoulder pads where being used as a weapon, before they changed back to the softer ones.

Yes, players are bigger and stronger, they are also more reckless IMO and alot of that has to do with the equipment.

The old equipment was also alot heavier compared to the equipment today.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:43 PM
  #71
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation
 
murphdasmurf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brentwood, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Yes. Neck Guards are mandatory at the lower levels of hockey and there's really no reason not to wear one. It's not like they're uncomfortable or impede you in any way.



What would be the big deal about wearing that?
They're also mandatory at all levels in Vermont.

And the big deal is that they are in fact uncomfortable as ****.

murphdasmurf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
  #72
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Yes. Neck Guards are mandatory at the lower levels of hockey and there's really no reason not to wear one. It's not like they're uncomfortable or impede you in any way.



What would be the big deal about wearing that?
I disagree, I think they're very uncomfortable. I would imagine getting your jugular sliced open is far less comfortable, though. I think if one single new piece of equipment should be mandated, it's this one. Repeated concussions or eye injuries can have very serious quality of life implications, but a skate across the neck can be fatal. They mandated neck protection for goalies after the Malachuk incident; I'm not sure why they didn't do the same for skaters after the Zednik incident. Is it going to take someone not making it?

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:09 PM
  #73
UConn126
Bass Player.
 
UConn126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Hartford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 3,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphdasmurf2 View Post
They're also mandatory at all levels in Vermont.

And the big deal is that they are in fact uncomfortable as ****.
Agreed. Never has a piece of padding bothered me so much on the ice as my old neck guard used to.

Thank god they are not mandatory at the collegiate intramural level here.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
  #74
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Stone Clode Stunner
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandsNose View Post
True, but I wonder how many of them would have looked back after taking a puck to the eye and wished that they had worn a visor. Better to prevent that sort of scenario imo.
This happened to both Johnny Boychuk and Michael Ryder

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
  #75
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
This happened to both Johnny Boychuk and Michael Ryder
And of course Ray Bourque never wore a visor, until he took a puck off the forehead and had some of his sinuses crushed.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.