HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

If Radulov were to return towards the end of the season...

Old
11-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
If Radulov were to return towards the end of the season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Radulov will be back, i have a gut feeling
I have zero to base this on, but my gut says that Poile and Radulov have spoken already and that Radulov will be allowed to return at the end of the KHL season this year to complete the final year of his ELC and act as a deadline acquisition in exchange for signing a contract extension...

Radulov will be back next season at the latest IMO...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What Seth Said...(Radulov)

Just as the title says Seth said something about Radulov which has my wheels spinning.

Let's say Seth's hypothesis is true and Radulov comes back mid-season. What would the roster look like?

Smith-Legwand-Wilson
Erat-Fisher-SK
Radulov-?-Hornqvist
Spaling Smithson-Tootoo
McG-Halischuk

I have a question mark on the center position because I think that's where the Pred will make a move. When I hear a 'Mike Fisher' type move I litterally think another Mike Fisher style player. Someone big who can play defense so Radulov can shoot and Hornqvist can clean up rebounds. Can Geoffrion do this? I'm not sure. Would you split up Spaling-Smithson to put Smithson on this line?

Just fun stuff to think about.

(Yes, I know Seth has no information to base this on but the guy's idea looks solid.)

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:25 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

That's an interesting idea Seth. I'd love to see it happen. I'm not too sure Poile would wanna give up that last year on the ELC though. That might be what it takes to get Rad back though.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 01:34 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

When does the KHL season end? Is Radulov's contract up after this year?

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:21 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

That could seem very possible Slake. And boy I sure wouldnt mind it. Obviously id rather have him play a full year on that ELC but he is worth it.

And to add on what BFC was saying, I agree it looks like that could be the case. But I dont generally think we need a Center. This is how I would set up the lines lets say if we added Okposo.

Wilson-Smith-Radulov
Erat-Legwand-Okposo
Kostitsyn-Fisher-Hornqvist
Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling.

Wilson, Smith, and Leggy are all Centers, no need to have them all on a line if Rads comes back. Smith and Wilson have both played C most of their lives. Gotta start sometime, Smith has even said he prefers C since its his natural position and he can create more offense. So the center position truly shouldnt be a problem.

But going after a guy like Weiss, Umberger, Bourque etc... would be the sprinkles on top if Rads came back.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:43 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
When does the KHL season end? Is Radulov's contract up after this year?
I believe the playoffs end in April, which is a little late, but he would be like a deadline acquisition which we would welcome with open arms...

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:48 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I hope so. Sucks that he left, but if he comes back, I can see him being a star player, and more importantly, a player that can push the Preds team for a deep playoff run or possibly a cup.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:56 AM
wadesworld

Question: does Radulov have any desire to play for Nashville? If he was unhappy enough to bolt before, why are we assuming that he'll be thrilled to be here again?

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:02 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Question: does Radulov have any desire to play for Nashville? If he was unhappy enough to bolt before, why are we assuming that he'll be thrilled to be here again?
Well he was asked by Poile and company if he wanted his rights traded and he said no i want to play for nashville, so take that for what its worth

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:04 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Radulov playing this year gets complicated by 13.23 of the CBA. He isn't exactly on loan from the Preds to Ufa so the big question becomes can he return to the NHL this season without clearing waivers first.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Feb 26th is the end of the regular season in the KHL. Currently UFA is tied for 6th in the East of the KHL. Playoff spot but very close to not making the playoffs.

Ironically, the NHL trade deadline should be on the 27th.

Now, it's just a theory without any hard merit just a nice 'what if?'

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Muuri

Wouldn't he need to pass the waivers?

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 06:48 AM
brah

and so it begins...

brah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
That could seem very possible Slake. And boy I sure wouldnt mind it. Obviously id rather have him play a full year on that ELC but he is worth it.

And to add on what BFC was saying, I agree it looks like that could be the case. But I dont generally think we need a Center. This is how I would set up the lines lets say if we added Okposo.

Wilson-Smith-Radulov
Erat-Legwand-Okposo
Kostitsyn-Fisher-Hornqvist
Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling.

Wilson, Smith, and Leggy are all Centers, no need to have them all on a line if Rads comes back. Smith and Wilson have both played C most of their lives. Gotta start sometime, Smith has even said he prefers C since its his natural position and he can create more offense. So the center position truly shouldnt be a problem.

But going after a guy like Weiss, Umberger, Bourque etc... would be the sprinkles on top if Rads came back.
Might be difficult to get since the Islanders highly value him.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:23 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Wouldn't he need to pass the waivers?
If I'm understanding the CBA correctly .... yes.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I wouldn't think so because he is still Nashvilles property as a suspended player I would be shocked if he needed too.

I don't want him to return in april The time lines don't match up. If he makes the playoffs, then there is no way he can get back here in time to make a real impact. Ending his season on the 26th of febuarary is also just a little tight. Do we really want to add him this late into a season?

Wait until next season. I want a full year and playoffs from Rads.

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 11-08-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:37 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Radulov playing this year gets complicated by 13.23 of the CBA. He isn't exactly on loan from the Preds to Ufa so the big question becomes can he return to the NHL this season without clearing waivers first.
I would say that wouldnt apply since we didnt sign him to a new contact and then try to bring him over. I would think from the NHL's standpoint this is just a suspended player finally showing up to honor his contract.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

It's my understanding that as a suspended player, he's treated differently than a new contract and wouldn't have to pass through waivers...and I *think* Poile confirmed that.

Something telling-- in Poile's quotes about adding offense\signing the core-- he said, paraphrasing

"we're still looking for offense, be that Radulov coming back or another Mike Fisher type trade in the season or at the deadline"

Given the second part of that statement...it certainly sounds like he's speaking about Radulov in the present tense?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:44 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

There is no doubt that Radulov would add big offense and is very talented, but my issue is this: Assuming we are still good enough later in the season to be buyers, would bringing in a guy who previously bolted on the team to play overseas going to disrupt a good locker room with good chemistry? I would rather not risk this and make a deadline deal instead. Then get him for a full season next year.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:50 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
It's my understanding that as a suspended player, he's treated differently than a new contract and wouldn't have to pass through waivers...and I *think* Poile confirmed that.

Something telling-- in Poile's quotes about adding offense\signing the core-- he said, paraphrasing

"we're still looking for offense, be that Radulov coming back or another Mike Fisher type trade in the season or at the deadline"

Given the second part of that statement...it certainly sounds like he's speaking about Radulov in the present tense?
that was my take as well, that he thought Rads at some point this season was a possibility.

For Poile, who normally doesnt say much of anything about what trades/acquisitions he is working on, to speak this frankly says to me that its already been discussed and is likely to happen.

Old
11-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Legionnaire11

There's only 6-7 players on the roster who were here when Rads left anyway, so there aren't as many hard feelings in the locker room. And if it was purely a money/homesick decision, I think the guys are professional and wouldn't hold that against him. They all want to win and adding firepower like Radulov would be a welcome addition.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:01 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
There's only 6-7 players on the roster who were here when Rads left anyway, so there aren't as many hard feelings in the locker room. And if it was purely a money/homesick decision, I think the guys are professional and wouldn't hold that against him. They all want to win and adding firepower like Radulov would be a welcome addition.
I would think before he went into the locker room for the first time Weber and Erat would talk to him and remind him that we are a hard working team and if he keeps his yap shut, listens to the coaches and doesnt act like a primma donna all will be forgiven.

I would really be interested to see what Kostitsyn would say to him, as well, since he has adapted nicely to the Trotz system...

Old
11-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Stranger

I like adding Radulov and welcome him back, but from a financial stand point, if we add him in February we lose a half year of his final cheap year in his contract... That being said, if he comes back and lights it up it would probably we worth it.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.
He isn't on loan. He is playing in a league outside North America. There aren't any provisions for a player suspended from his current NHL club due to bailing on his contract years ago. If somebody can find a provision in the CBA that would allow him to come back during the season without waiver exposure, let me know. I don't see it..

Old
11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
David Poile has specifically stated that Radulov does not have to clear waivers to return midseason. Bettman and Bill Daly have said the same on prior occasions as well. He is not subject to the CBA clause regarding players playing in Europe...

P.S. This was BFC's thread. I copied my post from the "Big 3 extentsion" thread and unfortunately when it did the timestamps reverted mine to the original post...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote