HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Dallas at Washington. 11/8/2011. 7:00PM.

Old
11-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
The Caps soundly beat quality team in Detroit and Philly and some seemed to begrudingly accept that perhaps BB has started to see the light. Can anyone explain then why they suddenly seemed to have reverted back to their lacksadical and unstructured play? I doubt BB told them to loaf it and just skate aimlessly around. Perhaps the players are a bigger part of the problem than some here are willing to admit.

Just as a disclaimer, I wanted BB gone at the end of the year too, but I can't see this recent slide being solely his fault. Perhaps he had less of a hand in the success at the beginning of the year too, but the players need to be held accountable too.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I fired up the old PS Zero last night expecting to play some NHL99. Wrong CD. What a bunch of clowns.

I liked the old hand buzzer.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
The whole team.
Maybe not enough for the whole team, but my tricked out Weber kettle does some things that'll make ya feel better after a game like last nights:

Added the cast iron grate, and the Cajun Bandit ring and rotisserie.

Perfect grub for Cap games.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Midnight Judges

I went to the game last night. TV doesn't do justice to how much Ovechkin stands around on the ice watching everyone else play hockey. This was not just restricted to defense either. It happens during breakouts and board battles too.

It's the most bizarre thing.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:50 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
he's old and slow and needs to be moved to create a roster spot for eakin.
Awesome!!!!

I think we need to move him at deadline. Better than not getting anything for him. Plus we should give this new guy from Bouchard trade a look. He was a top 50 rated player at draft and if TFS can play 4th line wing with MP, put this dman in!

for the inept.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:38 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
I'm a Panther fan and I come in peace. I moved to DC a few months ago, and this was the first Caps game I've ever attended. Sat in section 216 Row C. Decided to go all out for my first caps game, had some Jameson at Redline before the game..
Welcome. Condolences re. the Panther fan thing. Props for not having that sour you on hockey altogether.

Your take on our team is pretty accurate

Quote:
I thought the Capitals played really soft in their own zone. Too many defensive lapses and turnovers. ...
Get used to that.

Quote:
There simply wasn't enough jam or go **** yourselfness in their game tonight...
Get really used to that

Quote:
You're down by 3 goals, get pucks to the net, crash it, spray ice on Lehoten, punch Ribero in the face...****ing do something!!!!!...
There's one guy with a home jersey that always responds like that. Unfortunately his jersey number is 32, and it's hanging from the rafters.

Quote:
Ovechkin: I've seen him play before in FL, but I thought he played a pretty weak game. He is best scorer in the league, but I'm not a fan of his shots from terrible angles. On the rush, misses a shot and now the puck is going the other way. Maybe he is pressing too much ?...
He has been a pillar of inconsistency this year and last. Spurts of inspired, energetic play wrapped between stretches of disinterested D-zone work, and net-missing, turnover machine O zone solo sorties. Hopefully, we're just witnessing the sometimes painful process of a talented player's game evolving.

Quote:
Semin: For a talented a player he does some mystifying things with the puck....
That may be one of the few statements re. Semin that both his defenders and detractors agree upon. I think he's played pretty well this year -- but last night featured a Semin special: a spectacular goal and 2 dumb-ass stick penalties.

Quote:
Backstrom: Great assist on Semin's PP goal, but lackadaisical defensively on Stars fourth goal. How do you let Adam ****ing Burish score ? I still think he is the most important player on the Caps.....
Me too - he's the guy that makes a lot of our other guys better. And when he doesn't, we're pretty ordinary. His D-zone work is usually pretty good, but he's prone to taking holidays, as on the Burish goal.

Quote:
Mike Greene: I thought the Capitals really missed him, could have used his PP skills and the physicality he brings on the back end.
Yeah - say what you will about him (and lots has been said), but the body of work suggests the team performs much better with him in there, than with him out.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:34 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Habs, Hamr and secondary Caps fan here................

Could Caps fans comment on this? I've noticed Hamr lining up on the right boards when the faceoff is to the right of the goaltender. In Montreal left D's lineup to the left of the faceoff circle with the RD lined up at the boards.

On the Burish goal both D's were magnets to Morrow because they both started essentially in the same ice. Whereas if the LD lines up on the left of the faceoff circle he's already in a position to defend. Maybe I'm out to lunch on this but Boudreau's faceoff positions seem different and thus assignments seem to be different than Montreal's.

Hamrlik's a better player than last night but honestly looks confused. He's older yes. But his speed has not changed much in the last couple of years. He looks confused now and maybe lacking some confidence. Hope he turns around for you guys. To be honest I thought he had a strong first period but then the ceiling caved in later.
Why they had the Dman along the boards I'll never know. Without knowing their responsibilities its hard to direct fault.

-Hammer line up on wrong side?
-JC didn't know his responsibility is still middle of ice?
-Play is drawn up so middle of ice is the C responsibility and has no D coverage?

Any way it was a lot of stupid in a close game.

Old
11-09-2011, 02:45 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
The Caps soundly beat quality team in Detroit and Philly and some seemed to begrudingly accept that perhaps BB has started to see the light. Can anyone explain then why they suddenly seemed to have reverted back to their lacksadical and unstructured play? I doubt BB told them to loaf it and just skate aimlessly around. Perhaps the players are a bigger part of the problem than some here are willing to admit.

Just as a disclaimer, I wanted BB gone at the end of the year too, but I can't see this recent slide being solely his fault. Perhaps he had less of a hand in the success at the beginning of the year too, but the players need to be held accountable too.
I agree. I've been adjusting my viewpoint on "how dumb really are these guys"?

But... when the coach is trying to change himself into a disciplinarian overnight, the team is going to go through jekyl and hydes as well. Part of the reason I was so dead sold on wanting BB gone for two years isn't so much X and O's, but his ability to lead and mold these guys. I wasn't convinced BB knew to change... and if he did, that he could pull it off.

Well, he's changing... and we see some of the good. But that ability to pull it off is still the major question. And what we saw last few games is the playout of how hard it is to pull off a leadership change without changing the leader.

Old
11-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

this constant talk of "systems" is overrated generally. the caps just flat-out dont consistently work hard, especially as a team. meaning when 1 line is grinding, another seems to be chilling. its almost always most evident in board battles and defensive puck retrieval.

idk what the hell tiring practices are gonna do. fear mongering? what are they, 12. come on. BBs greatest challenge is to make these guys work to a level that befits their talent. if he cant do that, the caps are doomed for failure. if thats the case, an early regular season implosion may be the best thing that ever happened to the caps, much in the same way a change made so much difference the last time. heres hoping GMGM has the sack to do the right thing if its clear the caps are despondent beyond repair with this staff.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
this constant talk of "systems" is overrated generally. the caps just flat-out dont consistently work hard, especially as a team. meaning when 1 line is grinding, another seems to be chilling. its almost always most evident in board battles and defensive puck retrieval.

idk what the hell tiring practices are gonna do. fear mongering? what are they, 12. come on. BBs greatest challenge is to make these guys work to a level that befits their talent. if he cant do that, the caps are doomed for failure. if thats the case, an early regular season implosion may be the best thing that ever happened to the caps, much in the same way a change made so much difference the last time. heres hoping GMGM has the sack to do the right thing if its clear the caps are despondent beyond repair with this staff.
Be careful. Some may not read the context and consider you wanting your team to fail!

Old
11-09-2011, 03:37 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Why they had the Dman along the boards I'll never know. Without knowing their responsibilities its hard to direct fault.

-Hammer line up on wrong side?
-JC didn't know his responsibility is still middle of ice?
-Play is drawn up so middle of ice is the C responsibility and has no D coverage?

Any way it was a lot of stupid in a close game.
I'll have to do some more homework on it. But I think I can say with confidence that on the penalty kill Montreal lines up to clog the middle more. Although this was an even strength goal there were only seconds left on a PK I believe. Carlson lined up below the faceoff circle which left Backstrom as the lone defender.

And Hamrlik from his days in Montreal I believe always lined up to the left of the faceoff. Washington seems to do the opposite from what I can see.

Having said that hopefully Hamrlik's headaches can be ironed out but multiple D partners and a different system don't seem to be helping him much. He looked like he was getting pretty comfy with Green. Too bad he got injured but maybe for the best to experience mixed up situations now. LOL If that makes any sense.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:00 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I just don't see under any circumstances from that right dot you have your LD along the boards. Typically its the RD's responsibility to cover that side if the puck is free. Why the Caps decided they wanted to put a man on the LW on the drop is beyond me. He's the guy you typically leave free. The LD takes the RW, C takes C, other forward takes the INSIDE point man primarily unless the puck is won to the outside point man and he's winding up. The RD takes behind the C in case the puck is won, then he looks toward the LW and C depending on the puck location and reaction of the defending C.

Its just all sort of ****** up to use that D alignment on an in zone faceoff. Outside the blue lines... yes. You line up a Dman on the winger and leave one back. Not on a D zone faceoff... not in a close game.

Old
11-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Stewie G

I think the thing that will make the biggest difference is having Ovechkin buy in. Less of his drive-by poking at the puck along the boards maneuver and more actual board work in the defensive zone would be a start. I don't know if I just never paid as much attenion before, but good lord his effort in the defensive zone is just pathetic at times.

Old
11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:

Long season in a league where the best team usually wins only a little over 50 games. Compare that to the NBA where the teams with the best record usually win over 60. In fact over the last 2 years the NBA has produced 21 teams that have won 50 or more games. NHL has produced 4 in that same time span.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Long season in a league where the best team usually wins only a little over 50 games. Compare that to the NBA where the teams with the best record usually win over 60. In fact over the last 2 years the NBA has produced 21 teams that have won 50 or more games. NHL has produced 4 in that same time span.
That's the point I was trying to make. Some people appear to think that it is representative of a complete systematic coaching/management failure resulting in a rudderless team of showboating slackers.

Old
11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Capsman

Quote:

While we soundly beat them on the scoreboard. both Philly and Detroit put tremendous pressure on us and we were opportunistic. That is what I take out of those games, and that is not something that is sustainable all the way to the SC. I would like to see a more even territorial game against some of these better teams before I feel too good about them. I know some people will turn to the "so you are saying our wins aren't pretty enough" quip, to which I would answer "not when that is also leading to playoff losses".

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 07:01 PM
CrashTheNet9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Whyno's tweet:
"They went through suicide sprints at first, then one-on-one battles along the boards."
I know that. I was saying that because the guy before me was *****ing about the practice being useless.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Haj

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Welcome. Condolences re. the Panther fan thing. Props for not having that sour you on hockey altogether.
Thanks. Even though I grew up in Florida and am a fan of football, soccer, and basketball...there is nothing like hockey. I watch as many games as possible between teams that are not Florida. In Houston, I went to Aeros games five to ten times a year. Its rewarding to see players progress from being drafted to the NHL, regardless of what team they are on.

I'd argue that being a fan of a terrible team that is also irrelevant is much more difficult than being a fan of a terrible team that is the center of the hockey universe. (Think Panthers vs. Leafs) There is always the danger the team could move and people saying how hockey doesn't belong in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
There's one guy with a home jersey that always responds like that. Unfortunately his jersey number is 32, and it's hanging from the rafters.
Which player is this ? Chris Simon ? Pat Verbeek ?

What about playing Knubs with Ovechkin and Backstrom ? or Chimera ?

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Just sent you a PM.

I too, have the disease. I'm a grad of the Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School, and the Johnny Trigg/Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School.

If any of you have the disease of BBQ, please stop by:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Many, many hockey fans there. Hockey & BBQ are a match made in heaven.

Here's my last Xmas present from the missus:

That's the Backwood's Chubby model. GREAT smoker!

Here's the result from that cook:

Decent bark on the PP.

Beautiful.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:34 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Which player is this ? Chris Simon ? Pat Verbeek ?
Dale Hunter

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:52 AM
bonzilla

Ah, Pat Verbeek, nicknamed "the pig farmer"..goes well with this morning's BBQ theme I'd say

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote