HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grade for the draft?

Old
06-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Harrison Ford

vCash: 500
Grade for the draft?

I give it a B because we drafted three legit nhl players and they are very good. The others we drafted could someday be good player or nhl regulars. also we filled out the need of centers in the organization and we got the speedy goal scoring skills of tedenby while adding additional draft picks (Cormier and a 3rd in 2009.) I was surprised they didnt draft a goalie though.

I have a feeling this draft will really work out for us. Especially those first three players.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

C+ potential b- top end A-. To me, the Isles are A+ no doubt.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:29 PM
JDevils3

I have a feeling that the "professionals" that give out grades right after drafts will not give this draft a very high grade. My guess is they'll say C.

JDevils3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

1. Mattias Tedenby - A
2. Brandon Burlon - A+
2. Patrice Carmier - B
3. Adam Henrique - C
4. Matt Delahey - B
5. Kory Nagy - C+
6. David Wohlberg - B-
7. Harry Young - C+
7. J.S. Bergube - C

Overall: B-

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDevils3 View Post
I have a feeling that the "professionals" that give out grades right after drafts will not give this draft a very high grade. My guess is they'll say C.
That's what I'd venture a guess and say too. Hopefully we're all wrong.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:45 PM
LongIslandDevilsFan

Send a message via AIM to LongIslandDevilsFan
First off, hello all. Been a Devils Fan since 1996 and have become a die-hard over the past few years. Past two years I've followed Hockeybuzz, and I just recently found this site, so I am glad to join the Devils, and hockey community here.

The Devils got off to a good start in the draft. Tedenby fits Sutters new style of offense as a quick deep zone penetrater that goes well with Parise.

Burlon helps fill the big defenseman and PP QB role for the future. Looks like he played well for the Buzzers. Hopefully his success carries over.

I'm lovin Cormier. He fills in for someone we need on offense, a puck carrying big center that likes to get in traffic and score trash goals. Can't wait to see how he performs.

Henrique i think is the pick that offsets our good draft here. Good that we get a great faceoff man since Niewendike (spelling) and another forechecker, but speed is a problem. He's got time, but well see how he works out. Would have preferred Jokenin though.

Dehlaney is alright. Future stay at home wont hurt us down the road.

Nagy is someone i don't understand right now, or even know who he is.

Wohlberg will be an interesting prospect to watch.

I'd give the Devils a B or a B+. Just Nagy was the big problem i saw. The Devils at the draft though did hint to going big during the summer, so well have to watch from here.

LongIslandDevilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:47 PM
LongIslandDevilsFan

Send a message via AIM to LongIslandDevilsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandDevilsFan View Post
First off, hello all. Been a Devils Fan since 1996 and have become a die-hard over the past few years. Past two years I've followed Hockeybuzz, and I just recently found this site, so I am glad to join the Devils, and hockey community here.

The Devils got off to a good start in the draft. Tedenby fits Sutters new style of offense as a quick deep zone penetrater that goes well with Parise.

Burlon helps fill the big defenseman and PP QB role for the future. Looks like he played well for the Buzzers. Hopefully his success carries over.

I'm lovin Cormier. He fills in for someone we need on offense, a puck carrying big center that likes to get in traffic and score trash goals. Can't wait to see how he performs.

Henrique i think is the pick that offsets our good draft here. Good that we get a great faceoff man since Niewendike (spelling) and another forechecker, but speed is a problem. He's got time, but well see how he works out. Would have preferred Jokenin though.

I'd give the Devils a B or a B+. Just Nagy was the big problem i saw. The Devils at the draft though did hint to going big during the summer, so well have to watch from here.
And forgot the other two 7th round picks. I'd say both are alright, but have a lot to work towards to even make it into the NHL

LongIslandDevilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Heat McManus

I feel the Devils picked up at best:

1 top 6 winger - Tedenby
1 2nd line center - Cormier
1 or 2 2nd pairing d-men - Burlon, Young
3 checking line centers - Henrique, Wohlberg, Nagy
1 3rd pairing d-man - Delahy
1 fourth liner - Berube

Overall i give them a B-. It looked more and more like this was the year we replaced John Madden.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

B-. Added a top end forward and defensive prospect, but no high end centers and no goalies. Late round selections are questionable.

Ol Dirty Bstrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Devils Unseen Hand

B- or C+ ... give or take.

I still can't figure out if we really filled any voids we currently needed to address. Maybe 2-3 of these guys make the Devils roster down the road.

From the look of things, it appears that Lou will be signing free agents and/or plans on a number of Lowell players to be at the Rock this year.

Devils Unseen Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Also, can anyone give me a good prediction of Burlon's potential and how likely he is to reach it? From what Ive heard so far, I love the pick but more info would be helpful. How does he compare with someone like Corrente?

Old
06-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

B-, the devils first three picks really impressed me.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmanian Devil View Post
Also, can anyone give me a good prediction of Burlon's potential and how likely he is to reach it? From what Ive heard so far, I love the pick but more info would be helpful. How does he compare with someone like Corrente?
Burlon is a solid two-way defenseman. He's better than Corrente in terms of offensive ability, but about the same in his own end. Great shot from the point, good passer, great leader, not afraid to be physical, etc. He should be a top 4 d-man, has the potential to be a top pairing d-man and future captain. My favorite pick this year.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Ol Dirty Bstrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeonta View Post
Burlon is a solid two-way defenseman. He's better than Corrente in terms of offensive ability, but about the same in his own end. Great shot from the point, good passer, great leader, not afraid to be physical, etc. He should be a top 4 d-man, has the potential to be a top pairing d-man and future captain. My favorite pick this year.
That really excites me. Where will he play next yr (juniors?) and how long do you think will it take him to make the big club.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmanian Devil View Post
That really excites me. Where will he play next yr (juniors?) and how long do you think will it take him to make the big club.
He's going to Michigan next year so it will probably be 2-3 years before he gets a shot in NJ.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I saw a post by WashJeffHockey19 who gave his take on Tedenby:

Quote:
Apparently a lot of people need to watch this kid a bit more closely. He's an amazing talent who will be a superstar. He shoots like Hull, while skating like the wind, and playing two way hockey at an elite level. It will translate to the NHL sooner or later (probably sooner), and in a few years, people will be comparing draft picks to a "Stamkos-type player". He gets his shots off so quickly that most goalies don't get a chance to set themselves before he launches a bullet over their shoulder. He's a potential 50 goal scorer in the league, not to mention his playmaking game isn't too shabby either, as evidenced by the game he brought to the WJC's. He's a dynamic player and if you see him play, you know it IMMEDIATELY.
And when via PM I asked him how good did he think this could get it shot me back this:

Quote:
Absolutely... after reading through my old post there, I think it was probably close to a month ago now, I still stand by every word I said. Some people seem to believe that everyone around here might just be getting caught up in the idea that because this is the current draft, everything is always better than the last, but I personally think, while he may not make the impact that Pat Kane did so early (he still COULD), I feel he'll be the better player down the road. Some around here have even said he may not end up ultimately over a point-per-game player, and that's mostly where my gripe comes in that a lot of these people just haven't seen him and pass judgment. He creates something every single shift... in that respect, he reminds me of Crosby (not really in any way they they play similarly, but just that something happens every time he's on the ice... some sort of opportunity). Some ask is he really a franchise player... well they're nuts for even asking it. The kid is dynamite; enjoy him, as I'm sure you will. He'll likely be there next season, and again as I said before, he may not blow people away in season one, but he will surely do it sooner rather than later. potential superstar in this kid.
I really hope he's right because if he is we could have the steal of the draft. I like this draft, give it a B.

06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

SNP
DFD
GRN
GRN
GRN
GRN
GRN
GRN
GRN

NHL 08's NJ Devils draft.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:34 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

Quote:

not trying to be an ******* but how???

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
SNP
DFD
GRN
GRN
GRN
GRN
GRN
GRN
GRN

NHL 08's NJ Devils draft.
well there has to be two dfd subsituted for 2 grinders.

i think cormier is going to be a good 1-2 center in the future. i say 1-2 because on our team a good number 2 center would likely be the number one for our team.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Looks like Lou wanted to fill our need at center this year. I also heard the TSN announcers say that that Kory Nagy is a steal with our 5th pick.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Hirnalon

Send a message via MSN to Hirnalon Send a message via Yahoo to Hirnalon
Quote:
Just Nagy was the big problem i saw.
Welcome!

Your sentence is funny, because in hungarian Nagy means big

Hirnalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzanimal16 View Post
not trying to be an ******* but how???
Hossa 6-1 210 and a pure bull with the puck.

Hainsey 6-3 211. potential, potential, potential. Offensive potential and defensive if Larry gets a hand on him.

Redden 6-2 208. Big point shot, can hold his own defensively.

Now I hope Colin retires, as much as I love him, he's no good to us with 1 eye. Then we'd be able to afford these three, I hope/think.

Elias-Zajac-Hossa
Bergfors-Parise-Gionta
Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner
Zubrus-Rupp-Clarkson

Redden-Martin
Oduya-Hainsey
pick a pairing

Looks good to me.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:49 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

I feel grading a draft is like trying to predict where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in 365 days.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Looks like Lou wanted to fill our need at center this year. I also heard the TSN announcers say that that Kory Nagy is a steal with our 5th pick.
They're mental.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:02 PM
adzrne7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
I saw a post by WashJeffHockey19 who gave his take on Tedenby:

And when via PM I asked him how good did he think this could get it shot me back this:

I really hope he's right because if he is we could have the steal of the draft. I like this draft, give it a B.
Are you sure he wasen't talking about Stamkos?

adzrne7 is offline   Reply With Quote