HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Rielly or Grigorenko?

View Poll Results: Rielly or Grigorenko
Rielly 96 54.86%
Grigorenko 79 45.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Sundinisagod
Weed

vCash: 500
Rielly or Grigorenko?

Now that a little time has passed since the draft, Grigs does indeed look like he could be a future #1 center, and Rielly looks like he could be a 50 point ofd...which one would you take now?

Last edited by Sundinisagod: 11-30-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:21 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Now that a little time has passed since the draft, Grigs does look like a future #1 center, and Rielly looks like he'll be a 50 point ofd...which one would you take now?
I think it might be a good idea to add could before making your player projections.

But Rielly, he's the better prospect right now IMO. I think they are both high risk/reward players and that Grigorenko is the slightly more risky of the two. They both have huge ceilings however, and I'm jealous of Buffalo picking up Grigs so late; he should've been picked the second he was passed over in the top 5.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Sundinisagod
Weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I think it might be a good idea to add could before making your player projections.

But Rielly, he's the better prospect right now IMO. I think they are both high risk/reward players and that Grigorenko is the slightly more risky of the two. They both have huge ceilings however, and I'm jealous of Buffalo picking up Grigs so late; he should've been picked the second he was passed over in the top 5.
Duly noted...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:31 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Rielly. But that said, I fully expect myself to be proven wrong. I just don't think grig's will translate to the NHL as well as morgan's. IMO

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:41 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Close one but Grigs for me.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Christ

I like them both but I would have to go with Rielly right now.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:27 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

There's no end to these.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:56 AM
HABS2DCUP

Rielly. Both players have got alot of potential, but Rielly's consistency made me choose him. I have only seen Rielly play about ten times this year, but each one of those times he was dynamic at both ends of the ice. Whereas I have seen most of the games that Grigorenko has played in, mostly to watch Duclair and Erne, and he has had a lot of great games but there were a handful of games where even though Grigorenko may had a multi-point game, his actual on ice play was nothing to write home about.

So, in summary, I chose Rielly because he is great and consistent at being great.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:59 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Both dominate at their possitions in their respective leagues. I'll wait until both are in the NHL to make that judgement.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:11 PM
jfb392

Sabres fan choosing Rielly.

Grigorenko seemed to show positive steps forward at the beginning of last season and his decline in play in the second half was easy to blame on his ankle injury and mono, but his play has been uninspiring this season regardless of point totals.
He may still be recovering from his injuries, but it's difficult to know for sure.
Until he shows otherwise, that period of time may have just been a fluke, so I'll go with Rielly.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:13 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

I'll go with Reilly, but its close and HABS2DCUP said everything I was thinking.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Wow good question. I had to think about this one long and hard.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
n00bxQb

Reilly mainly due to the fact that he's Canadian, making him far less likely to bolt to the KHL.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:32 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

Grigorenko seemed to show positive steps forward at the beginning of last season and his decline in play in the second half was easy to blame on his ankle injury and mono, but his play has been uninspiring this season regardless of point totals.
He may still be recovering from his injuries, but it's difficult to know for sure.
Until he shows otherwise, that period of time may have just been a fluke, so I'll go with Rielly.
lolwut? 2nd in scoring in the Q, 23 goals in 24 games and his play is uninspiring? Got a thing about russians?

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:40 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
lolwut? 2nd in scoring in the Q, 23 goals in 24 games and his play is uninspiring? Got a thing about russians?
Obviously reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, as I already said "regardless of point totals".
The best retort is to cite his point totals, obviously.

He has skill, no doubt, but lacks substance.
I'm not expecting him to dominate every shift, but he has been too passive and has made too many ill-advised drop passes to no one for my liking so far.

And no, I don't have a thing about Russians.
In fact, I defended him all season last year, especially in the Sabres draft thread.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Revo

Quote:

I beg to differ, he is doing many things better and has shown signs of progress.

Revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Fulcrum

who is this- Rielly?

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:06 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Obviously reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, as I already said "regardless of point totals".
The best retort is to cite his point totals, obviously.

He has skill, no doubt, but lacks substance.
I'm not expecting him to dominate every shift, but he has been too passive and has made too many ill-advised drop passes to no one for my liking so far.

And no, I don't have a thing about Russians.
In fact, I defended him all season last year, especially in the Sabres draft thread.
I can't believe you'd have to defend that pick!

But I will say I haven't watched Grigorenko at all, and have only seen 2-3 televised games of Reilly. So my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. That being said......

Based on top end potential for my team (leafs, duh) I'd go with Grigorenko. We desperately need a big center.

But I have to say, Reilly's potential seems a little closer, according to our resident amateur scouts. From what I can see of Reilly, he will seem even more productive with top end talent to play with. I don't know if he will ever be a 20g Dman, as his shot seems just OK. But I do see incredible vision and playmaking skill in him. He carries the puck so well for any level. His skating is elite, no doubt, as well. Allowing him to pass off to TOR skilled wingers will be great for him.

I think his top end is also higher then 50 pts. Closer to 70. IF he reaches full potential. If all goes well he could be a regular top 3 scoring Dman in the NHL. Average around 60-65 pts/season. *pls note the IF's in my statement

All that being said, if all goes well for MG, your looking at a 75-90pt center currently making youthful mistakes with the puck. I think TOR needs that bad. We have Dion and Gardiner to fill in well as 1 and 2D's. What Reilly brings might be better offensively then them, but it's not as dire to our success as our need for a 1C.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:24 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I can't believe you'd have to defend that pick!

But I will say I haven't watched Grigorenko at all, and have only seen 2-3 televised games of Reilly. So my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. That being said......

Based on top end potential for my team (leafs, duh) I'd go with Grigorenko. We desperately need a big center.

But I have to say, Reilly's potential seems a little closer, according to our resident amateur scouts. From what I can see of Reilly, he will seem even more productive with top end talent to play with. I don't know if he will ever be a 20g Dman, as his shot seems just OK. But I do see incredible vision and playmaking skill in him. He carries the puck so well for any level. His skating is elite, no doubt, as well. Allowing him to pass off to TOR skilled wingers will be great for him.

I think his top end is also higher then 50 pts. Closer to 70. IF he reaches full potential. If all goes well he could be a regular top 3 scoring Dman in the NHL. Average around 60-65 pts/season. *pls note the IF's in my statement

All that being said, if all goes well for MG, your looking at a 75-90pt center currently making youthful mistakes with the puck. I think TOR needs that bad. We have Dion and Gardiner to fill in well as 1 and 2D's. What Reilly brings might be better offensively then them, but it's not as dire to our success as our need for a 1C.
From your description of Rielly's potential, you should probably reconsider wanting Grigorenko even based on high end potential and despite the fact that the Leafs need a good centre (I'm assuming you also think Rielly's defensive play will be very good).

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:38 PM
topchowda

Grigs has dominated the QMJHL and Reilly has done well in the WHL. However I thought Grigs was a top 3 talent at last years draft and hes done nothing but justify that. I thought Rielly would go in the top 7 and hes played well enough to justify getting picked 5th.

Ill go with Grigs by a hair

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:18 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
i wanna say grigs but i like riellys game at the next level more then grigs which pains me to say because i hate the leafs

PricerStopDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:56 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Grigs and Rielly.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
i wanna say grigs but i like riellys game at the next level more then grigs which pains me to say because i hate the leafs
This is always a problem when dealing with drafted prospects...everyone is already associating the prospect with the team rather than just basing their choice on their individual talent. Polls like this will always be biased because of fan bases supporting their own prospect and/or other fanbases hating a prospect because he is a part of a franchise they hate.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:16 PM
pigpen65

Grigs easily. Reilly only looks good because he's really 20. He's also probably going to bolt to Russia.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Grigs

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote