HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013 draft) II

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Mackinnon thrown off a bit tonight playing on the wing in the subway series. He is definitely a natural center.
Watching him play, he is not a natural center. He is as natural a center as Jeff Carter is. I will go as far as predicting he won't go first overall and possibly even fall to number 3.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Mackinnon thrown off a bit tonight playing on the wing in the subway series. He is definitely a natural center.
For sure. He beat Grigorenko on 3 straight faceoffs in a very short sequence.

I thought he had a good game despite not putting up and points. He very easily could have had a few. He was a force physically and still did create with the puck.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:46 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Watching him play, he is not a natural center. He is as natural a center as Jeff Carter is. I will go as far as predicting he won't go first overall and possibly even fall to number 3.
Well... He was playing wing all game, so how would you tell... He is a natural center and better fitted for it..

Old
11-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Well... He was playing wing all game, so how would you tell... He is a natural center and better fitted for it..
You just don't understand. He has below average vision, always leads the rush, is a turnover machine, shoot first and makes mediocre reads in the defensive zone. What part of that scouting report leads you to believe he will be a center at the next level? He reminds me of a young Jeff Friesen with better hands.

Edit: Don't give me crap about faceoffs, that is one of the smallest parts of being a center, Patrik Elias proved this.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:53 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Quote:
You just don't understand. He has below average vision, always leads the rush, is a turnover machine, shoot first and makes mediocre reads in the defensive zone. What part of that scouting report leads you to believe he will be a center at the next level? He reminds me of a young Jeff Friesen with better hands.

Edit: Don't give me crap about faceoffs, that is one of the smallest parts of being a center, Patrik Elias proved this.
I dunno, when a player seems more at ease playing centre than wing, GENERALLY.........never mind, you're right, he's a 50-point second-line winger in the making, an slightly better Alex Daigle.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I dunno, when a player seems more at ease playing centre than wing, GENERALLY.........never mind, you're right, he's a 50-point second-line winger in the making, an slightly better Alex Daigle.
He is at ease because he has played it his whole life. If he continues to play wing he will adapt much better then he did tonight. I remember the same things being said about Taylor Hall as a 16/17 year old.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:

So, I conclude that you jump to conclusions just after one game.. pretty pathetic don't you think. We don't care if you have something against him, but it doesn't change anything on MacKinnon's play. He's a complete player and just let the kid play damn it. You're a scout? I don't think so. Thank you.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Classic HF boards. Ryan Kujawinski has a hot start, he's a top-10 pick; Anthony Mantha has a 4-goal game, he's a top-10 pick; Nathan Mackinnon has a bad game, he's no longer a 1st overall pick.

In response to the actual post, Carter still put up 46 goals as a center and played at an All-star level in the NHL as a center for 4 years before a down year last year. If Mackinnon can play center as well as Jeff Carter can, I don't think people will have much to complain about

Old
11-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:

Although I agree to an extent with what you're saying, you have blown it a little out of proportion.

His "below average vision" led to 62 assists in 75 games regular season and playoffs combined last season. Although he hasn't utilized his vision as much this year, it still is very good for someone who is 17.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:58 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

Quote:
He is at ease because he has played it his whole life. If he continues to play wing he will adapt much better then he did tonight. I remember the same things being said about Taylor Hall as a 16/17 year old.
A, Taylor Hall, another Jeff Friesen, waste of a first overall pick.

He has a skill set that would allow him to play wing because of his skating and shot, but I disagree about the below average vision: the guy has good vision, it's just not the top-end kind. I've seen worse out of centremen.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
So, I conclude that you jump to conclusions just after one game.. pretty pathetic don't you think. We don't care if you have something against him, but it doesn't change anything on MacKinnon's play. He's a complete player and just let the kid play damn it. You're a scout? I don't think so. Thank you.
1 game? I'm pretty sure I was a scout last year.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Good for you. We'll talk in June.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Although I agree to an extent with what you're saying, you have blown it a little out of proportion.

His "below average vision" led to 62 assists in 75 games regular season and playoffs combined last season. Although he hasn't utilized his vision as much this year, it still is very good for someone who is 17.
When a player has as good a skill set as MacKinnon I tend to ignore junior stats and go based on projection. I have seen players dominate on skill alone. At the pro level players can adapt to skill pretty fast.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:02 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

Quote:
When a player has as good a skill set as MacKinnon I tend to ignore junior stats and go based on projection.
So you project him as Jeff Friesen? Fair enough. I suppose you think he should drop out of the top-15 at that point?

Old
11-05-2012, 11:07 PM
RJQuack

Quote:

No Drouin, but below average vision is wrong. Shoots first yes, but I've seen (And he's said) he's done a lot of work this season and off-season to become a better two-way player.. Trying to show scouts he'll be a center in the bigs... All that would be for naught if scouts are just gonna project him to be a wing in the show.. You saw how uncomfortable he was on wing tonight...

Turnover machine:

A young Jeff Friesen with hands... I'll pretend I didn't see that one.

Haven't you always had a negative attitude towards moose players?

Old
Alberta tough

vCash: 568
Quote:
For who? A junior team?

Old
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
So you project him as Jeff Friesen? Fair enough. I suppose you think he should drop out of the top-15 at that point?
I see two different projections as a winger and a center.

As a center I see a 1st/2nd line center who gets a good chunk of defensive zone draws but faces weak competition. 1st PP unit and maybe 1st PK.

As a winger I see an top tier winger who gets difficult minutes, still gets 1st PP and 1st PK minutes.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
For who? A junior team?
Future Considerations

Old
11-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
No Drouin, but below average vision is wrong. Shoots first yes, but I've seen (And he's said) he's done a lot of work this season and off-season to become a better two-way player.. Trying to show scouts he'll be a center in the bigs... All that would be for naught if scouts are just gonna project him to be a wing in the show.. You saw how uncomfortable he was on wing tonight...

Turnover machine:

A young Jeff Friesen with hands... I'll pretend I didn't see that one.

Haven't you always had a negative attitude towards moose players?
I absolutely love Drouin and had him top 10 before preseason. He will be able to create offense at any level he plays at.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:11 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
I absolutely love Drouin and had him top 10 before preseason. He will be able to create offense at any level he plays at.
Ok, so do I...Agree to disagree on Mackinnon then, as we're thinking opposite things on him... I still think he'll be #1 in June... Could be wrong..

Old
11-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

If I really had to compare MacKinnon to anyone it would be Marian Gaborik.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:14 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

Quote:
Ok, so do I...Agree to disagree on Mackinnon then, as we're thinking opposite things on him... I still think he'll be #1 in June... Could be wrong..
I think, barring a team that NEEDS Jones on the blueline, that MacKinnon will go first. He's complete, he has a cannon shot, he's exciting to watch (great for putting fans in the seats) and he seems to have a knack for scoring when it matters.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Alberta tough

vCash: 568
For what ever reason when he plays on Sportsnet he does not play to potential. 3 games in 3 nights does not help.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:18 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
I think, barring a team that NEEDS Jones on the blueline, that MacKinnon will go first. He's complete, he has a cannon shot, he's exciting to watch (great for putting fans in the seats) and he seems to have a knack for scoring when it matters.
Yes, I'd agree with the statement that he's a "big game player".

Team need (say Colorado v. Calgary/Toronto) will come into play as well..

1 ugly round down, two more national tv appearances this week for him... Playing where he's comfortable and with Drouin on a days rest will make me think he'll come out with a better effort on Wednesday.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:19 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
For what ever reason when he plays on Sportsnet he does not play to potential.
First two times... Jitters? He was 16

Today, faitgue, unfamiliar with surroundings

The sportsnet curse is well known amongst moose fans

Closed Thread