HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013 draft) II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2012, 08:56 PM
  #876
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Typical fans that don't follow him in the Q will judge him after the 1st game. But as a Q fan, I have to say that Drouin made all the difference today. He gives MacKinnon the confidence..lol
Yes and no, a couple of give and go's on the powerplay showed their chemistry but when in full flight on transition and coming back on the backcheck as well as his dzone play, and overall physical presence Nathan Mackinnon showed why he's a unique player when compared to Drouin. There will be players of Drouin calibre on the WJ team if the lockout doesn't end so there's no need to really worry if he'll be able to form chemistry with others on the WJ team if he earns a spot.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 09:02 PM
  #877
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,039
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Nugent Hopkins
Scheifele
Jenner
Mackinnon

There's only one spot at center if the lockout doesn't end. He's either in that position or he has to play wing on the first two lines.
I suspect that if they open up the competition with Scheif for the #2 C spot that MacKinnon would win it. That's not even a knock on Scheif either.

That may be asking too much for TC and their usual stubbornness though.

Anyway, I think the lockout will be over by then, so no RNH. Possibly no Scheif either.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 09:07 PM
  #878
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Typical fans that don't follow him in the Q will judge him after the 1st game. But as a Q fan, I have to say that Drouin made all the difference today. He gives MacKinnon the confidence..lol
Agreed, Drouin will make Nathan or anyone else look better. In addition,

1. Nathan played at his natural position
2. Didn't play his 3rd game in 3 nights and most importantly of all
3. Had the time to reflect and adjust to what would be effective like he did in the Hlinka tournament.
4. That other guy, Huberdeau, was pretty good tonight too.

Would be nice if the three could be kept together for the U20 - we shall see.

ikelechien is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 09:09 PM
  #879
Hockeysemin
Registered User
 
Hockeysemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Its obviously he is just a product of Drouin

Hockeysemin is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 10:21 PM
  #880
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan English View Post
Your taking a lot of flack here, but some of the things you are pointing out are defenitely true. I would call it average vision on his part (below average for a #1 overall candidate) and he does have games where he's turnover prone.
See, here's the thing about his "vision" - especially with respect to Drouin comparisons. Drouin definitely has "better" vision. He has a talent for dissecting traffic, finding small holes around goalies, and finding an open spot to sneak into. Here's the thing though. I'll contend that MacKinnon has "faster" vision. The way he reads and anticipates is what sets him apart. That, and the fact that he can launch out of his first step like a 200 lbs missile.

And see, while he might not prove to have vision in the way that Drouin does by finding those open spots, his game is built around knowing where the spot is going to open up, and either racing everyone there (finish line is always the crease, as you can probably tell), or getting the puck there if he sees a teammate on the same page. That's what happened on that turnover in game one where the trailer followed him way further inside the blueline than he expected, and that's what happened when he made that no look pass across the crease to Huberdeau on his second goal. What was different in applying the talent between the two? MacKinnon had 1 game to get used to Huberdeau, and you see how quickly he(/they) can turn that into dividends.

So, in summary, if you're a smaller guy with super talent, seeing and taking is a good way apply your vision. When you're more of a physical/explosive player, anticipating and exploiting open ice is always plan A, with measured dissection being plan B if the quick strike isn't successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan English View Post
He leads the rush because hes an elite skater though, and he has to make reads and see the ice faster because of it, and he puts in a good effort defensively without a doubt, but I'm guilty of not paying as much attention to his positioning.

Regardless, I can appreciate your different and more experienced/pessimistic point of view and these are things I can look for next time I watch him.
Yeah, you should actually watch his positioning on back checks. Pay special attention that he is always back in position between his man and the net, and in such a way that both the puck carrier and the "dangerous" player(s) are in front of him. I don't know how much he went to school on that in the off season, but it's a huge improvement over last year based on how predictably consistent he is when you watch. He doesn't gravitate to or get tunnel vision on the puck in transition as much, his wheels rarely leave him behind the play, and he actually rarely takes risks that might leave the defense exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
Would be nice if the three could be kept together for the U20 - we shall see.
They were definitely already talking about it during the telecast. Seems like genius to me right now.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 11:31 PM
  #881
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
Threw together some clips of Mackinnon's work tonight:

Quote:
anton tibaldi ‏@antontibaldi
Nathan MacKinnon video spotlight for game 2 of #SubwaySeries. Impressive night 1G, 3A. http://youtu.be/hm6IaGeJCOI #2013nhldraft


as usual, any thank you's would be more appreciate in the form of a twitter follow: https://twitter.com/antontibaldi . i do videos like these almost nightly for different top prospects.

maplehawk is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 12:06 AM
  #882
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Threw together some clips of Mackinnon's work tonight:





as usual, any thank you's would be more appreciate in the form of a twitter follow: https://twitter.com/antontibaldi . i do videos like these almost nightly for different top prospects.
Love these vids man, i only missed the last 7 minutes of the game which was Drouins goal, great speed all game by mackinnon, also as a hockey player really respect Drouin's goal, picking up a puck and firing it fast enough to get past a world class goalie while drifting BACKWARDS is extremely hard.

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 12:23 AM
  #883
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Threw together some clips of Mackinnon's work tonight:





as usual, any thank you's would be more appreciate in the form of a twitter follow: https://twitter.com/antontibaldi . i do videos like these almost nightly for different top prospects.
Good stuff, if I ever get a twitter account I'll definitely follow you Great game from MacKinnon, really showcased his speed.

ponder is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 12:35 AM
  #884
Parise9Crosby87
Registered User
 
Parise9Crosby87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: boca raton florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
is nathan always that fast

Parise9Crosby87 is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 12:41 AM
  #885
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
is nathan always that fast
Yes. One of the best first steps in the draft class, imo, and his top end speed/balance ain't bad at all, as many an undressed defenseman can attest to.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 01:30 AM
  #886
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,457
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
is nathan always that fast
He has the best first 3 steps I ever seen at the QMJHL level.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 05:38 AM
  #887
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Whoever drafts MacKinnon is getting best draftee since Crosby. He looked like he was on a mission last night! Send cold chills down spine to think about that in NHL playoffs someday. Pearrault type explosive speed

Mats86 is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 05:42 AM
  #888
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
See, here's the thing about his "vision" - especially with respect to Drouin comparisons. Drouin definitely has "better" vision. He has a talent for dissecting traffic, finding small holes around goalies, and finding an open spot to sneak into. Here's the thing though. I'll contend that MacKinnon has "faster" vision. The way he reads and anticipates is what sets him apart. That, and the fact that he can launch out of his first step like a 200 lbs missile.

And see, while he might not prove to have vision in the way that Drouin does by finding those open spots, his game is built around knowing where the spot is going to open up, and either racing everyone there (finish line is always the crease, as you can probably tell), or getting the puck there if he sees a teammate on the same page. That's what happened on that turnover in game one where the trailer followed him way further inside the blueline than he expected, and that's what happened when he made that no look pass across the crease to Huberdeau on his second goal. What was different in applying the talent between the two? MacKinnon had 1 game to get used to Huberdeau, and you see how quickly he(/they) can turn that into dividends.

So, in summary, if you're a smaller guy with super talent, seeing and taking is a good way apply your vision. When you're more of a physical/explosive player, anticipating and exploiting open ice is always plan A, with measured dissection being plan B if the quick strike isn't successful.



Yeah, you should actually watch his positioning on back checks. Pay special attention that he is always back in position between his man and the net, and in such a way that both the puck carrier and the "dangerous" player(s) are in front of him. I don't know how much he went to school on that in the off season, but it's a huge improvement over last year based on how predictably consistent he is when you watch. He doesn't gravitate to or get tunnel vision on the puck in transition as much, his wheels rarely leave him behind the play, and he actually rarely takes risks that might leave the defense exposed.



They were definitely already talking about it during the telecast. Seems like genius to me right now.
Drouin reminds me of Brian Propp. Small, speedy with a great snapshot. Can find the room on the ice

Mats86 is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 05:45 AM
  #889
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Whoever drafts MacKinnon is getting best draftee since Crosby. He looked like he was on a mission last night! Send cold chills down spine to think about that in NHL playoffs someday. Pearrault type explosive speed
I'd like to point out that there have been some very good draftees over the past 7 drafts. If you truly believe that Mac is a better prospect than Tavares, Stamkos, Doughty, Toews, EJ, Kane, Yakupov, Hedman, Hall, Seguin, etc. that's fine, but this just seems like a statement that comes from hype more than a well thought out opinion

DKQ is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 08:13 AM
  #890
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER
 
Tarasenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St.Louis, Missouri
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
The team which is drafting first this year really need to get a #5 or #6 pick (or higher) to get MacKinnon WITH Drouin. Those two kids have probably the best chemistry I've seen in the Q Junior level.
The explosion of MacKinnon mixed with the vision/IQ of Drouin is what I called a perfect duo in hockey. Imagine a line completed with a sniper like Yakupov or Kovy, ouch. But this is just a dream, hehe.

Tarasenko is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 08:22 AM
  #891
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I'd like to point out that there have been some very good draftees over the past 7 drafts. If you truly believe that Mac is a better prospect than Tavares, Stamkos, Doughty, Toews, EJ, Kane, Yakupov, Hedman, Hall, Seguin, etc. that's fine, but this just seems like a statement that comes from hype more than a well thought out opinion
The only ones you mentioned I would put with MacKinnon are Toews, Stamkos. Taveres don't have ability to elevate his game in critical games like NM did last night. MacKinnon's speed and leadership last night was a cross between a Gil Perrault and Mark Messier.

Mats86 is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 08:30 AM
  #892
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigorenko View Post
The team which is drafting first this year really need to get a #5 or #6 pick (or higher) to get MacKinnon WITH Drouin. Those two kids have probably the best chemistry I've seen in the Q Junior level.
The explosion of MacKinnon mixed with the vision/IQ of Drouin is what I called a perfect duo in hockey. Imagine a line completed with a sniper like Yakupov or Kovy, ouch. But this is just a dream, hehe.
If Drouin would be faster they would be the next Kariya and Selanne.

Leehh is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 08:47 AM
  #893
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
The only ones you mentioned I would put with MacKinnon are Toews, Stamkos. Taveres don't have ability to elevate his game in critical games like NM did last night. MacKinnon's speed and leadership last night was a cross between a Gil Perrault and Mark Messier.
Tavares was a better prospect than both Stamkos and Toews during his time in juniors.

WangMustGo is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 08:51 AM
  #894
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
The only ones you mentioned I would put with MacKinnon are Toews, Stamkos. Taveres don't have ability to elevate his game in critical games like NM did last night. MacKinnon's speed and leadership last night was a cross between a Gil Perrault and Mark Messier.
You saw Mackinnon play one strong game and you declare he is at the same level as Gil Perreault and Mark Messier?

Mackinnon is a very good player is very deserving of the #1 pick. But don't claim he is in another league than Tavares (arguably the greatest OHL player ever; shares the record for most WJC goals by a Canadian), Kane (won CHL scoring title with 2.5 PPG), or any of the other high draft picks that have made an immediate impact at the NHL level

DKQ is offline  
Old
11-08-2012, 09:47 AM
  #895
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Whoever drafts MacKinnon is getting best draftee since Crosby. He looked like he was on a mission last night! Send cold chills down spine to think about that in NHL playoffs someday. Pearrault type explosive speed
I agree with this. I've seen him a half dozen times this year alone, and I feel like if anyone thinks Huberdeau is ready for the NHL, there's absolutely no question Mackinnon is too. At 17 and a couple months to have his type of physically prowess, speed and tenacity is pretty damn amazing.

Karitimes is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 10:17 PM
  #896
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers
 
crazy Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,574
vCash: 500
Really like the Eric Staal comparison someone made

crazy Kassian is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 10:41 PM
  #897
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
I think Eric Staal is an awful comparison. I think he's a mix between Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin.

Ashasx is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 10:56 PM
  #898
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,472
vCash: 500
He's Jeremy Roenick.

rt is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 10:58 PM
  #899
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
A Giroux that shoots more often than not...

Maybe a Toews, seguin kovalchuk mix lol. Trying to think of a guy that hits, has good speed and shoots first.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 11:47 PM
  #900
smokes lets go
Registered User
 
smokes lets go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think Eric Staal is an awful comparison. I think he's a mix between Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin.
Thats my thinking too, a better Taylor Hall. The kid plays with a ton of jam, i don't know how he does it

smokes lets go is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.