HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013 draft) II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2011, 05:08 PM
  #126
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,581
vCash: 500
Fata and Brendl both qualify for sure, neither panned out but both were top prospects and serious speedsters. Both 90s picks though. What about more recent picks? I think Hall is probably the most explosive skater in terms of acceleration in terms of top 10 picks from say, 2003 onwards, but am I crazy to think that MacKinnon looks even more explosive? He accelerates really, really fast. Pushing back earlier there's Gaborik in 2000, Kovy in 2001, and Nash in 2002, I don't think he's there with Gaborik, but I do think he's right there with the likes of Kovy, Nash, Ovy, Hall, etc. in terms of getting up to speed insanely fast. He's one of those guys who you don't really have to look for, even when you're just half paying attention to the game it's like "holy ****, that guy is a powerful skater!"

ponder is offline  
Old
12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
  #127
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Fata and Brendl both qualify for sure, neither panned out but both were top prospects and serious speedsters. Both 90s picks though. What about more recent picks? I think Hall is probably the most explosive skater in terms of acceleration in terms of top 10 picks from say, 2003 onwards, but am I crazy to think that MacKinnon looks even more explosive? He accelerates really, really fast. Pushing back earlier there's Gaborik in 2000, Kovy in 2001, and Nash in 2002, I don't think he's there with Gaborik, but I do think he's right there with the likes of Kovy, Nash, Ovy, Hall, etc. in terms of getting up to speed insanely fast. He's one of those guys who you don't really have to look for, even when you're just half paying attention to the game it's like "holy ****, that guy is a powerful skater!"
Brendl was majorly talented but there is a reason he never turned out, and he was not a speedster his skating and work ethic was a downfall, it a shame he was a good player.

Rico Fata when he made the OHL never really dominated like many thought he dominated Midget hockey with his amazing speed, but the guy had NO hockey sense at all, he had no positioning and that was a BIG BIG problem for him. Mackinnon is way smarter than him.

I watched Rick Nash at the U17s in Nova Scotia, and saw him many many times play in junior after that including world junior camp, game in London and Nathan Mackinnon is faster than him when he played junior

scoutman1 is offline  
Old
12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
  #128
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
It's not strictly about "offense" team Canada did not have a star talent to make an individual end to end rush to create momentum or gain momentum or even draw a penalty. Mackinnon is more then capable of turning the momentum around in agame with a single shift. One shift like that around 8 minutes left of last years gold medal game and who knows what the outcome is.
Without trying to derail this thread, say what you want about momentum, but being up 3-0 after the first; they had tons of momentum (the HSBC was rocking). As for your last sentence, I'd argue there's no chance a 16-year-old MacKinnon would be anywhere near the ice with 8 minutes left in the gold medal game.

I've seen Nathan MacKinnon play a ton of games live over the past 11 months, and I'm a big fan (just look at my past posts). He's one of the best prospects that'll enter the NHL since Crosby. He should have a seamless transition to the pros, and I'd genuinely be shocked if he isn't selected first overall.

That being said, he definitely has things to work on to be an elite NHL'er (hands, hockey sense, cheating defensively etc.). Will he work on these things and be a better player than all the players that were invited to the WJC Camp? It's very likely. But I'm sure if you asked Hockey Canada, they'll say that other players were better/had more experience right now or could fill roles better than MacKinnon could.

I fully agree with Ponder's post. He's got another gear that teams just can't contain. As they say; speed kills.

Pick Six is offline  
Old
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
  #129
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,249
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
I'm not so sure if he enter your criteria. But as far as I remember, Pavel Brendl was a top-10 prospect at some point, he had mad acceleration. Rico Fata might be another one.
I always thought one of the knocks on Brendl was he wasn't very fast. Obviously the lack of work ethic/desire was a bigger impediment, but I thought skating was one of the known issues with him.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
12-04-2011, 08:45 PM
  #130
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I always thought one of the knocks on Brendl was he wasn't very fast. Obviously the lack of work ethic/desire was a bigger impediment, but I thought skating was one of the known issues with him.
his skating was a problem for him, he was slow and sluggish on his skates and very bad work ethic.

scoutman1 is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 01:38 AM
  #131
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,581
vCash: 500
Haha, more than a little wrong about Brendl apparently, honestly I was a teenager when he entered the league and I never paid much attention to him, as I really didn't care much about prospects back then, and he was a scrub in the NHL.

However, since I've actually tried to perform my poor forms of amateur scouting on individual players (and watching CHL games), which is really just the last 10 years (somewhat), and really the last 5ish year, I have to say that MacKinnon is right up there with the fastest, most explosive prospects I've seen, especially in terms of acceleration. I feel like Hall is probably the closest in terms of high end prospects that I've seen a lot of, but I think MacKinnon might be even a touch more explosive as a skater than Hall. Not quite Gaborik/Grabner level speed, but not too far off either, and I'm not really counting Grabner as a truly top notch prospect because the rest of his game was never that complete.

ponder is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 07:49 PM
  #132
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
apparently left the game with an injury tonight, returned, and then left again

Breakfast of Champs is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 08:33 PM
  #133
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,585
vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Haha, more than a little wrong about Brendl apparently, honestly I was a teenager when he entered the league and I never paid much attention to him, as I really didn't care much about prospects back then, and he was a scrub in the NHL.

However, since I've actually tried to perform my poor forms of amateur scouting on individual players (and watching CHL games), which is really just the last 10 years (somewhat), and really the last 5ish year, I have to say that MacKinnon is right up there with the fastest, most explosive prospects I've seen, especially in terms of acceleration. I feel like Hall is probably the closest in terms of high end prospects that I've seen a lot of, but I think MacKinnon might be even a touch more explosive as a skater than Hall. Not quite Gaborik/Grabner level speed, but not too far off either, and I'm not really counting Grabner as a truly top notch prospect because the rest of his game was never that complete.
I was watching highlights of MacKinnon's 5 goal game, and thinking the exact same thing to myself. Hall was maybe the most explosive 16 year old I'd seen, until I saw MacKinnon.

GetThePuckOut is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 08:37 PM
  #134
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
apparently left the game with an injury tonight, returned, and then left again
As soon as we get Frk and Drouin (well he's close..) in the lineup

mapes is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 08:52 PM
  #135
SensFan26
Registered User
 
SensFan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 500
Ducharme said he's doubtful for tomorrow and could miss a few games.

SensFan26 is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
  #136
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
Anyone know details on the injury? Hopefully he's good to go for tuesday night's game. Shouldn't risk anything for the weekend and have him ready for tuesday and the long run until the world under 17's.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 10:16 PM
  #137
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Anyone know details on the injury? Hopefully he's good to go for tuesday night's game. Shouldn't risk anything for the weekend and have him ready for tuesday and the long run until the world under 17's.
He hurt his shoulder after going into the boards hard.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
12-09-2011, 11:48 PM
  #138
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
That's disappointing. Was looking forward to watching him on Sunday against Saint John, especially if Huberdeau isn't playing. As long as he's healthy for the U'17s, I'm happy.

Pick Six is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 12:07 AM
  #139
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Here's the hit.


Fel 96 is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 01:55 PM
  #140
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
MacKinnon expected to return tonight against Bathurst, pending doc's approval before the game. Drouin will dress tonight as well, an exciting night for Moose fans.

Here were the lines at practice today:

Critchlow-MacKinnon-Frk
Drouin-Boudreau-Grenier
Ryan-Cuzner-Ciampini
Ashley-Andrews-Desjardins

Extras: Falkenham and Cote

Stoneberg is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 02:52 PM
  #141
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
MacKinnon expected to return tonight against Bathurst, pending doc's approval before the game. Drouin will dress tonight as well, an exciting night for Moose fans.

Here were the lines at practice today:

Critchlow-MacKinnon-Frk
Drouin-Boudreau-Grenier
Ryan-Cuzner-Ciampini
Ashley-Andrews-Desjardins

Extras: Falkenham and Cote
Oh baby, I knew they'd put this line together. Very excited for tonights game.


Edit: Is Randall still playing D?

markrander87 is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 02:56 PM
  #142
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Oh baby, I knew they'd put this line together. Very excited for tonights game.


Edit: Is Randall still playing D?
Yep.

Stoneberg is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
  #143
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,030
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Why Critchlow? He sucks.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
12-13-2011, 07:05 PM
  #144
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why Critchlow? He sucks.
And he just tied the game up

SPORTSMANIAC is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
  #145
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why Critchlow? He sucks.
1st star of the game, scored a beauty game winner.

Overall not a great game.

Drouin played pretty well, two assists including a great back door pass to Grenier for the first goal of the game. They played well together and had several scoring chances. Drouin's a lot smaller then I expected, but seemed dangerous off the rush and some creativity in the offensive end.

Mackinnon looked pretty flat tonight. A couple nice passes to Marty, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt this time that he was still lingering from that shoulder injury.

Frk had a couple chances but didnt look too dangerous either. I know he has a rocket of a shot, but I hate the fact that they took Mackinnon of the left half boards on the PP and put Frk there. Mackinnon ran the PP from that spot, but tonight they buried him infront of the net and he didnt get to use any creativity.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
12-14-2011, 09:12 AM
  #146
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why Critchlow? He sucks.
First of all, he doesn't suck. Clearly you haven't seen many Moose games this season. Either that or you are an awful judge of hockey ability. He's one of the most consistent and reliable players on the team at both ends of the ice.

Second, with two speedster offensive weapons like MacKinnon and Frk, it is only logical to have a defensive presence on the line who can keep up, open up space playing physically (Although both Frk and Mackinnon don't shy away from that side of the game either), and fight if need be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
1st star of the game, scored a beauty game winner.

Overall not a great game.

Drouin played pretty well, two assists including a great back door pass to Grenier for the first goal of the game. They played well together and had several scoring chances. Drouin's a lot smaller then I expected, but seemed dangerous off the rush and some creativity in the offensive end.

Mackinnon looked pretty flat tonight. A couple nice passes to Marty, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt this time that he was still lingering from that shoulder injury.

Frk had a couple chances but didnt look too dangerous either. I know he has a rocket of a shot, but I hate the fact that they took Mackinnon of the left half boards on the PP and put Frk there. Mackinnon ran the PP from that spot, but tonight they buried him infront of the net and he didnt get to use any creativity.
I thought it was pretty obvious given the fact he kept going off the ice wincing and favoring his shoulder, avoided taking most faceoffs, didn't drive the net like he usually does, and didn't destroy people with hits like he usually does. I don't think flat is the right word, because he still had the most jump and speed of anyone on either team, I'd lean towards overly cautious. He's just not as effective when he can't dominate physically, along the boards, and drive the net. They should have just let him sit out.

Partially agree about Frk, it wasn't a great game for him. Although, I seem to remember the pp changing up regularly. I saw Mackinnon in multiple different places on the PP (half boards, down low, point), and Frk spent time in front of the net too. I would agree that Frk spent the most time on the half boards though. The problem is that I think that half boards position is the best place for Frk, whereas Mackinnon can be extremely effective from anywhere. I'd certainly rather not have him in front trying to tip or anything, but I'm ok with him being down low to make plays from the corner and take cross crease passes.

Drouin was quite impressive for his first game, looks like he's going to be able to dominate at this level once he fills out a little more. The skating, hands, and vision were all on display last night. I was impressed with his confidence in just attacking defenders, he made a few slick dangles.

Stoneberg is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 11:08 AM
  #147
avsfan9
Registered User
 
avsfan9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 795
vCash: 500
i hope the avs tank next year and get this guy, crosby 2.0

avsfan9 is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
  #148
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why Critchlow? He sucks.
Point per Game Captains suck do they? Watch a game why dont ya.

And Avs, MacKinnon will probs go top 3 if not #1 so I don't think they're that bad. My prediction: Phoenix or Calgary for MacKinnon.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
  #149
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
Any word on his injury? Didn't play last night...I hope it's nothing too long term, is it day to day or is he out of a considerable amount of time?! ...Hope he doesn't miss the U-17's...

habsrule4eva3089 is offline  
Old
12-16-2011, 10:48 AM
  #150
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,030
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaLeafs View Post
Point per Game Captains suck do they? Watch a game why dont ya.

And Avs, MacKinnon will probs go top 3 if not #1 so I don't think they're that bad. My prediction: Phoenix or Calgary for MacKinnon.
I've seen quite a few games this season. He has no pro potential. Sure he's a "good" Q player.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.