HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First time to the arena, questions

Old
11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
fiend540

vCash: 500
First time to the arena, questions

I'm a Sabres fan who left crappy ny this summer for Denver and I am taking in my first avalanche game this week when they play the islanders and I have a couple of questions. First is how is the parking situation? Should I just pony up the 16 bucks for me and my wife to take the light rail or is it cheaper/easier to park down near the arena? I think our tickets are pretty good, I let the wife pick them out but it's section 134 row 13, am I going to be disappointed with them? Finally how is the food, any must haves or must avoids?

Thanks in advance guys, it's good to see the team doing well, hopefully they can put together some home wins, starting with beating out the crappy islanders.

fiend540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
Are you going to change your allegiance and become an Avalanche fan?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Landeslog

Parking at the Pepsi Center is $10. So if the light rail costs $16 it kind of depends on whether the convenience of not having to drive is worth $6.
I rarely eat at the arena so I can't really answer the food question. We usually eat at Brooklyn's next door (it's okay bar food) or Old Chicago about a block away.
There's really not a bad seat and you're lower bowl 13 rows up so you have great seats

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 03:16 PM
fiend540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Are you going to change your allegiance and become an Avalanche fan?
Never! lol but I'm a hockey fan so there are a bunch of teams I like to see do well, the Avalanche included. However if it came down to a Colorado vs Buffalo finals, it would be a pretty easy choice of who I want to win.

Old
11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
I'm a Sabres fan who left crappy ny this summer for Denver and I am taking in my first avalanche game this week when they play the islanders and I have a couple of questions. First is how is the parking situation? Should I just pony up the 16 bucks for me and my wife to take the light rail or is it cheaper/easier to park down near the arena? I think our tickets are pretty good, I let the wife pick them out but it's section 134 row 13, am I going to be disappointed with them? Finally how is the food, any must haves or must avoids?

Thanks in advance guys, it's good to see the team doing well, hopefully they can put together some home wins, starting with beating out the crappy islanders.
Plenty of parking on Auraria Campus across the street. However, I'd do the light rail. No traffic to deal with and you can drink to your heart's content (assuming you don't have to drive from the Light Rail station).

Food is fine, but as you might expect, expensive. I don't recall ever eating anything truly memorable one way or the other. The Blue Sky Grill is the restaurant in the Pepsi Center and is a nice place to relax pre-game. Again...expensive though. Depending on what you do you might want to try one of the places next to the Pepsi Center. They're a bit crowded but IMO the food is better and slightly cheaper.

I've only been to one game where I was slightly disappointed in the view. Apart from the walkways to your seat being a tad narrow (better for you to see over the person in front of you) you and your wife should be fine.

Good for you living in Denver, it's a great town and I miss it terribly. Hopefully your presence will be a good luck charm. Have fun tonight!

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
fiend540

Thanks, I agree Denver is awesome the wife and I love it here. The game is Thursday, and hopefully we are good luck

Old
11-08-2011, 04:38 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Lightrail was totally worth it, but their prices have just skyrocketed over the last 5 years that it's cheaper just to drive down there.

It's very easy to get to the Pepsi Centre by both train and car (just off I-25) and there is a ton of parking all over the place. As mentioned above Metro-State College of Denver is right across the street and will have the cheapest per say.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 04:40 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Also as Sam said, there is no such thing as a bad seat in the arena. I've talked to some of my friends that prefer to sit higher so they can see the play develop and others like to sit lower to get the full experience.

Old
11-08-2011, 04:42 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

If I were you I would go to your favourite local restaurant before the game. A few of my friends and I favourite places are on Broadway (Not that far away from Downtown) and we always eat before the game because the prices are expensive.

Old
11-08-2011, 05:14 PM
SB

Yeah, it's a bit expensive for what you get. The BBQ place near the bottom of the escalators on the first level is darn good, though. I think it's $9 or $10 for a sandwich on toast with sweet fries ...

There was a garage in a new building across the little bridge that used to be $5 ... I haven't been to it this year, so I don't know if it's still so cheap.

Lots of good places to eat in Lodo, so if you have time, definitely do that rather than eat at the arena. But, time can be an issue.

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:17 PM
SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Also as Sam said, there is no such thing as a bad seat in the arena. I've talked to some of my friends that prefer to sit higher so they can see the play develop and others like to sit lower to get the full experience.
Best seats for the buck are lower corner balcony, at $42. It's fun to sit down low every once in a while, but you really see the game better from higher, and the lower balcony is pretty low.

Old
11-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I wouldn't suggest Brooklyns I think their food is crap. But that's just a differing opinion from whoever said it was good.

I'd eat in the highlands or downtown. There's tons of places to choose from and if you're attending a Sunday game you can always park for free at a meter and then walk to the Pepsi Center.

If you're wearing a heavy jacket I've sometimes snuck Chipotle or Qdoba into the stadium. You're not allowed to take food/beverage in but they're not too stringent on pat downs.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
I wouldn't suggest Brooklyns I think their food is crap. But that's just a differing opinion from whoever said it was good.

I'd eat in the highlands or downtown. There's tons of places to choose from and if you're attending a Sunday game you can always park for free at a meter and then walk to the Pepsi Center.

If you're wearing a heavy jacket I've sometimes snuck Chipotle or Qdoba into the stadium. You're not allowed to take food/beverage in but they're not too stringent on pat downs.
Not a fan of Brooklyn's food, either. It's edible. I would say "ok". But I asked for my burger medium rare and they gave it to me well-done. That was the last time I ordered food there. And it wasn't good. The bun was hard and the meat sucked

Old
11-08-2011, 10:35 PM
fiend540

Cool I appreciate the replies guys. The game is this Thursday so no free parking, I was just curious what my best chance of avoiding a hassle was. Looks like I will just make the drive instead of the light rail. Any other recommendations for restaurants in the proximity of the arena?

Old
11-08-2011, 10:42 PM
BrickAHL
No More

Quote:
Cool I appreciate the replies guys. The game is this Thursday so no free parking, I was just curious what my best chance of avoiding a hassle was. Looks like I will just make the drive instead of the light rail. Any other recommendations for restaurants in the proximity of the arena?
To avoid a hassle do NOT wear a Hunwick jersey and do NOT bring a sign that reads "I support Joe Sacco". If you avoid that then you should have a good time with the other 5 people in the stadium.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 103
I have yet to found a must eat at restaurant in denver on my various trips there. I guess that I'm spoiled by all of the world class restaurants in vegas. If you want to support the avs please wear a bag over your head to get scratcho fired sooner.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Bonzai12

What price range of a restaurant are you looking for?

Old
11-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
There are a ton of bad seats at pepsi center. Lots of obstructed views from rails in the upper bowl.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:02 PM
fiend540

Lol, I guess I now understand why the tickets were so cheap reading some of your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
What price range of a restaurant are you looking for?
Like 50ish for the two of us, including maybe 1 beer for myself.

Old
11-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
]
Like 50ish for the two of us, including maybe 1 beer for myself.
I would recommend the Blake Street Tavern. Unfortunately it's a lot closer to Coors Field than Pepsi Center.

There is an Old Chicago fairly close to the Can, don't know if that's your thing but it's only a bit of a walk. Dress warm though.

Can't think of any other restaurants. Again, the Blue Sky Grill is actually IN Pepsi Center, but it ain't cheap. Brooklyn's food is, as they say, edible, but not mind-blowing. But it sounds like the quality has managed to go down a couple notches since I was last there.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Landeslog

If you're willing to walk 15-20 minutes there's lots of dining options. If you're not, then you have like 2 options.
We usually suck it up and walk 20 minutes and go to the Tavern or something

Old
11-10-2011, 08:08 AM
SB

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/17/1630/...Do-restaurants

MIght as well start finding the good places if you live here! As for places with a CO twist

Wazee Supper Club is a classic, and it's close. Very casual. Tamayo is upscale Southwest/Mexican. Visitors tend to love it. Rio Grande Restaurant is another local TexMex joint with famous margs. I prefer Wahoo's food, but Rio is fun. Ted's Montana Grill is a chain, of course, but I always liked it and it is definitely more Western.

That said, Blue Sky Grill is not a bad choice: great atmosphere, very Western inside, like a ski lodge, and the food is decent. A bit overpriced, but you can get out of there for $50 if you order wisely. It makes up for that with convenience. Make a reservation to be safe, or get there super early.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:30 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 700
Pepsi center is a pretty good building, I haven't found a truly bad seat, (some in the upper deck can be obstructed by hand rails, rare though). Light rail is an ok option if its convenience your after and you don't want to drive. Pepsi center does do a pretty good job handling the parking situation though, its $10 except in the closest lot (I think G). Its an easy walk to 16th St for food, there are a ton of options within walking distance (I usually ride the bus in from Boulder and get off at the downtown transit station, about a 10 minute walk to Pepsi from there, and lots of bars to stop at on the way. Food in the arena is somewhat expensive, expect between $7-$12 for most, drinks are of course expensive too.

Whatever you decide, have a good time at the game, I always like going to the Pepsi center to see the Avs (lately not so much, only seen one win in the 4 games I've been to this season).

Let us know how you like it

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Bonzai12

I'd suggest Bistro Vendome, but that's more like $40 per person or so. But that is my favorite restaurant in Denver.

Rioja is a close second and in the same price frame.

Sushi Sasa is also excellent (you can control your costs better with Sushi - and they have free parking).....Proto's pizza is some of the best grub you'll find within a mile of the Pepsi Center.......My Brothers Bar some people say has the best burger in Denver. I would disagree, but they're still damn good. Note that Brothers is not open on Sundays.

Blue Sky Grill is also pretty good but I like the other places I mentioned.

I don't care for Rio (the mexican place across the street has 3x better food), Wazee Supper Club (which is odd - it's owned by the same people that run My Brothers Bar), Tamayo, or Blake Street, but I think I'm a food snob lol.

Old
11-10-2011, 11:56 PM
fiend540

Well we had a real good time, it helps that the team showed up in the 3rd and pulled out an OT victory. We ended up eating at this Mexican place near the Aquarium that we like and then parking near the dumb amusement park. Overall it was fun, I think after parking we spent a little less than 60 bucks to go. I have a couple observations from the game that strike me as odd, at least compared to a game in Buffalo.

1) The place was pretty empty, at least 75% of the 300 level was empty. Is it always like this? I understand the team was pretty bad last year but come on, don't people like Hockey lol

2) I'm guessing observation 1 is why I could get pretty awesome 100 level tickets for 18 bucks a piece. I wish I could get 300 level tickets for that price back home, but this totally works out in our favor as we will be going to a bunch more games since it's dirt cheap.

The best part of tonight though, was when the wife looked at me and said "This is a million times more entertaining than going to a football game". I just had to laugh and agree!