10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
AtG just scored
Yup. Free kick.

Right now, Jamaica is out. They need a goal or need USA to score again.

EDIT: Jamaica scores again.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Also Junior Hoilett will be playing for Jamaica tomorrow morning.

At least he had the class to not put out ultimatums like De Guzman. He can go rot in the Dutch national pool for the rest of his career

e: to above post, like yeah its a tournament, but it really doesn't mean anything. Being continental champion in a non-Confed Cup advancement tournament is pretty meh
Where did you see Hoilett chose to play for Jamaica?

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:56 PM
AndMat*

Jama just scored

AndMat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:01 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I hate some soccer players. Guatemala player takes a dive to try to get a call, then STAYS down (didn't get the call), with only 7 minutes left. Get up and try to score you retard.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:02 PM
AndMat*

Need a new thread name

Old
10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Jamaica scores a fourth goal. Guatemala is done.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:12 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Where did you see Hoilett chose to play for Jamaica?
Jamaica = in the hex
Canada = not in the hex

His Jamaican accent just deepened considerably over the past 6 hours

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Such a sad day.

Not only was that an embarrassing loss in the biggest game in years, but it was an embarrassing loss that will put our program back.

A win today would have seen us go to a spot no one really expected us to go, and we may have two of the best Canadian players come home (Guzman and Hoilett), but we ****ed that up.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:55 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

We're never going to get anywhere if our best prospects second-guess their nationality.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:04 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Kids in the Canadian soccer are tought to play for fun only. Once they change this loser mentality (starting with the soccer mom's), and teach them to win, then, and only then you will have competitive soccer in Canada.
Totally disagree. Canadian kids are taught only to win. Skill development takes a back seat to playing the biggest, quickest, oldest kid, and adopting a kick and chase style that wins games at lower levels. And it makes sense; our youth come up through clubs that only have them for a couple of years. Compare that with anywhere else in the world (outside of maybe the US, which actually does pour money into their programs) and look at the club systems they use. Clubs have a financial incentive to develop skilled players. They either help the first team or they're sold for a profit. Where's the incentive in the Canadian model? If you're a coach for U-12s, U-14s, U-16s, you volunteer and your kids disappear a year or two later. Your only incentive is to win now, so you play the kids that have the talent to do that immediately.

Watch our national game because it completely follows this model. We have athletes, not football players. We really need to start building through the MLS teams; it takes time but it'll pay off.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:16 PM
AndMat*

Well under 20s comeing up and concaf. Next year. Also canada tied with brazil in the group stage back in 2001

Old
10-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
C8n8d8

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:43 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
We're never going to get anywhere if our best prospects second-guess their nationality.
Correction, we're never going to get anywhere if we can't get our domestic development up to par with other Concacaf countries.

Thing is, our best prospects leave Canada when they are very young. Hopefully with now three pro academies up and running in Canada, things will start to change. But I won't get my hopes up, there needs to be A LOT MORE of money invested in the national program if we want to keep these kids... even with the three academies.

Last edited by JordanStaal#1Fan: 10-17-2012 at 12:45 AM.
JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:10 AM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

We pretty much gave up after the first goal, which was only 7 minutes in and had plenty of time to equalize it. Instead we just handed them a trip to the final round.
This was truly heartbreaking as I thought we had a really good chance this time. Took the afternoon off work just to see this. I was really excited and had a really tense feeling (especially during the national anthems) and that feeling did not last long at all.

What an embarrassing display of football

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:45 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
We pretty much gave up after the first goal, which was only 7 minutes in and had plenty of time to equalize it. Instead we just handed them a trip to the final round.
This was truly heartbreaking as I thought we had a really good chance this time. Took the afternoon off work just to see this. I was really excited and had a really tense feeling (especially during the national anthems) and that feeling did not last long at all.

What an embarrassing display of football
I think they gave up after the second goal when Guzman got hauled down, but yeah. They really just stopped moving until Hume and Lucas came in.

It was a truly disgusting display.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Nice find.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:29 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Correction, we're never going to get anywhere if we can't get our domestic development up to par with other Concacaf countries.

Thing is, our best prospects leave Canada when they are very young. Hopefully with now three pro academies up and running in Canada, things will start to change. But I won't get my hopes up, there needs to be A LOT MORE of money invested in the national program if we want to keep these kids... even with the three academies.
Anybody can set up an academy. Its getting players the ability to option to play at home in a professional setting that's important.

Unfortunately, the three MLS teams are unlikely to do so even in the long-term.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:09 AM
AndMat*

Will Johnson was canada's best player in the road to Rio. As for toronto fc they should have sent Morgan to Europe and not sign him 4 years.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Suiteness

I still think coaching is the problem. And I'm not talking about the national team (it's already a lost cause at that point) but at the grassroots level. We're just unable to develop World class football talent. Honduras, Costa Rica and the likes have developed world class players who starred in Serie A or La Liga. What has Canada ever developed beside world class goalkeepers? Alex Bunbary was a decent player in a mediocre Portuguese club and that's pretty much it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. As long as soccer remains a summer hobby to keep the kids busy during the hockey off season, as long parents who don't have a freaking clue about how to work with young players (where practices consist of taking shots from the top of the box at the goalie) coach our teams, we'll be stuck in this hell hole of mediocrity.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Coaching is important. But they're just not that good, and soccer is just not that important. Until it is, and their federation actually finds some cash for some coaching and a program, they're going to be mediocre at best.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Honduras has no money, they're the second poorest country in Central America. It's all about want and desire. Every kid, no matter how athletic they are plays football in that country. Because there's nothing else to do they can do it all day. You will eventually find good players in that system. It's no surprise that so many of the best players from the Western hemisphere come from an extremely poor background. They want it more.

I don't think it's ridiculous to say something like, "these players know what it is like to be poor, so they play like this so they don't have to go back to being poor." Some of them I'm sure, are still poor, I can't imagine those who still play in that league make very much money or can count on getting their check every week.

Yes and no.

As an aside, Honduras does have a significant number of youth baseball players, so it's not 100%. I also would suggest that while poor, they also know the value of development of soccer players. If I'm a Honduran club, if I can get a player to the point of where he can go to MLS, or even abroad, I could see a lottery ticket plopped in my lap. So while, they're poor in general, their spending on talent development is probably a better percentage than you would imagine.

But the idea that being poor and having poor kids is going to produce better talent is not exactly true. Kaka was the worlds best player for a while, and he wasn't exactly from the mean streets of Brazil. Messi, for what it's worth, is not from a poor background. His family is probably about middle class, from a decent suburb, with at least some money.

Look at Germany, many of their players are from clear middle class backgrounds. Doesn't hurt them a lick. If you look at some of the Spanish stars of today, they're not exactly coming up from abject poverty. Heck, I don't really even know when some of these kids are getting taken in by La Mascia or another elite Academy at 8 or 9, that they actually even recognize that 'hey, I'm poor and can make a go of this and get rich or famous'. They play because they love the sport and want to do so.

Yes, some have more motivation to succeed when they get older, because they know what they've come from, but it's not completely a matter of haves and have nots.

Inherent and built in desire is not an exclusive attribute to the poor and destitute. Look at other major sports. Was Kobe poor? Andrew Luck? Peyton? Sure. You have many that are examples of where being poor didn't hurt success for athletes and others, but that's also an excuse. It's a "we can't win because we don't have poor people who want to do this". No, Canada can't win because they don't have the players who want to do whatever it takes to get the training and put in the work to be elite. They're not getting the breaks on development. They're not finding the superior athlete who is also a hard worker. They're not placing players in systems where they can succeed and they're not giving them the supporting system to improve.

Honduras does more with less, that's certainly a true statement. But they also have players who do play the right way, and who kids can look to and say, "hey, that can be me." Who in Canada do kids have to look to? Wayne, Mario and Crosby. That's it. That means infinitely more than having some poor kids who need to struggle to feed their families.

Messi can look at all the greats and say, "One day, that's me". Brazil, Spain, Germany, all have the same.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:56 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

there's talk of a new technical direction in the nation. that we have to make drastic changes in the coaching/training starting with those that coach 8 year olds. so in 10 - 12 years we might have a slight chance of playing against Guadeloupe.

this is the darkest day in Canadian sports period.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
Will Johnson was canada's best player in the road to Rio. As for toronto fc they should have sent Morgan to Europe and not sign him 4 years.
He wasn't good yesterday though. He had no hustle, no heart, and I was disgusted with him even if he's one of my favourite Canadian players.