Canada and the 2014 World Cup

Old
04-07-2013, 01:05 PM
BAuldie

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Hume turned down an invitation to Team Canada National Camp (for the Gold Cup, I assume) to stay with his club team. Probably pissed how little he was played against Honduras.
No, he turned it down for the recent camp in Qatar where they played Japan and Belarus. He is not pissed about that.. I believe he's been banged up and wanted to get playing time with his club team over rather meaningless friendlies.

He'd come to the Gold Cup if called because it'd be offseason in England.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:51 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

What should we expect the lineup to look for the next Gold Cup? What are we doing going forward? I want to see Canada at the WC.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 08:02 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
DeRo and ???

Actually he's getting up there in age.

We suck, always will.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 09:08 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

De Ro is done.

Old
06-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

I am working my way up through the ranks of Canadian football, and will one day lead Canada to the world cup. Mark my words.

Although since I can also get my Dutch citizenship I will probably play for them instead.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 09:49 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

**** you Cujomi, don't do that haha

Old
06-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Canada actually has some decent young talent in MLS like Osorio, Teibert, Henry, Morgan and Bekker. Add that into the guys in that 26-28 range like Johnson, Borjan, Jackson, Edgar and Ricketts and there's the makings of a somewhat decent side there. Keep an eye out for Cyle Larin, a sophomore striker at UConn who MLS tried to sign, but he stayed at school. If he comes out, likely the #1 pick next year.

I'd say for the Gold Cup, try to finish high enough to get one of the 4 spots (likely a battle between Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Jamaica) in the 2016 Copa America and go from there.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian General View Post
What should we expect the lineup to look for the next Gold Cup? What are we doing going forward? I want to see Canada at the WC.
They are a LONG way away from WC qualification. They need a better coach, better talent development, better depth, etc. I'd say realistically you may not see Canada qualify for a WC for at least 20 years.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 11:37 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Canada actually has some decent young talent in MLS like Osorio, Teibert, Henry, Morgan and Bekker. Add that into the guys in that 26-28 range like Johnson, Borjan, Jackson, Edgar and Ricketts and there's the makings of a somewhat decent side there. Keep an eye out for Cyle Larin, a sophomore striker at UConn who MLS tried to sign, but he stayed at school. If he comes out, likely the #1 pick next year.

I'd say for the Gold Cup, try to finish high enough to get one of the 4 spots (likely a battle between Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Jamaica) in the 2016 Copa America and go from there.
What's up with Lukas Cavalini?

Old
06-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Suiteness

What slays me is that we were never able to develop a legit World Class talent outside of goaltenders. I’m not talking football superstar here, just a decent bloke who could ride pine for a middling club in Seria A or la Liga. I know Soccer Canada is crap and all but you figure ONE freaking guy could slip through the cracks of incompetence and be somewhat good, no? I mean Iran, of all places, had a guy getting starts in the champion’s league for Bayern freaking Munich! (Granted Ali Daei was shyte but the point remains).

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Tuggy

This thread brings back painful memories

I always get my hopes up so high for Canada to qualify but ultimately I'm let down.

I want so badly for Canada to make it. I was only 5 when they last played in one, so I'd love to be able to experience it now.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 08:41 AM
JunglePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
What slays me is that we were never able to develop a legit World Class talent outside of goaltenders. I’m not talking football superstar here, just a decent bloke who could ride pine for a middling club in Seria A or la Liga. I know Soccer Canada is crap and all but you figure ONE freaking guy could slip through the cracks of incompetence and be somewhat good, no? I mean Iran, of all places, had a guy getting starts in the champion’s league for Bayern freaking Munich! (Granted Ali Daei was shyte but the point remains).
De Ro had talent to play for a top 5 team in any league, JDG had a good career as well in La Liga etc. Hutchinson plays for a top 5 Turkish team. None were World Class but good enough for a WC team.

JunglePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunglePete View Post
De Ro had talent to play for a top 5 team in any league, JDG had a good career as well in La Liga etc. Hutchinson plays for a top 5 Turkish team. None were World Class but good enough for a WC team.
Hargreaves too, before injuries killed him.

Wee Baby Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:06 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I want so badly for Canada to make it. I was only 5 when they last played in one, so I'd love to be able to experience it now.
I was in Hamburg at the time. Also 5.

I was very proud of Canada, until I saw the odds.

Worst in the World Cup, at 1000 to 1.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunglePete View Post
De Ro had talent to play for a top 5 team in any league
If that was the case, he would have played in one of those leagues I would think. I highly doubt he would have turned down La Liga to play in the MLS.

Quote:
JDG had a good career as well in La Liga etc.
That's true, I tend to forget about him since that was such a long time ago and the most I've seen of him was in the hell hole that was TFC.

Quote:
Hutchinson plays for a top 5 Turkish team
Turkey is a two team league. The rest is as good as Norway 2nd division.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:16 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Paul Stalteri was decent.

Played for Bremen and Tottenham (on occasion).

Other guys I can think of are Alex Bunbury and Randy Samuel.

But yes, really, we're grasping at straws.

Old
06-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Rocko604

No reason at all why Canada cannot be a top 3 or 4 country in CONCACAF. But as long as the CSA keeps the status quo, we'll continue to be 11th.

I know it's an apples and oranges comparison, and I wish it was easy as me saying it and the CSA doing it, but the CSA should really sit down with Rugby and Baseball Canada. Both those organizations have been able to make us competitive on the world stage with far less players than the CSA has at their disposal. Not world beaters by any means, our Rugby Sevens club is very competitive, and our Men's 15 team arguably the best Tier 2 nation in the world. As for baseball, we seem to compete at the WBC, minus a complete meltdown vs Italy we'd have gone to the 2nd round in 2013.

Right now, it's not even realistic to think of Canada going to a World Cup. Just getting to the final qualification round would be an amazing accomplishment.

Rocko604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 10:22 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

It's embarassing as a nation of 30 million people to struggle against a side like Guadeloupe (population 400,000) that isn't even in FIFA.

Old
06-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I know it's an apples and oranges comparison, and I wish it was easy as me saying it and the CSA doing it, but the CSA should really sit down with Rugby and Baseball Canada. Both those organizations have been able to make us competitive on the world stage with far less players than the CSA has at their disposal. Not world beaters by any means, our Rugby Sevens club is very competitive, and our Men's 15 team arguably the best Tier 2 nation in the world. As for baseball, we seem to compete at the WBC, minus a complete meltdown vs Italy we'd have gone to the 2nd round in 2013.
I think we look good in these sports because very few countries in the World actually play them, at the very least seriously. Probably 97% of the planet lists Football as their #1 sport hence why we look like crap.

I still say we need to look at what countries like Denmark are doing. It's insane that tiny Denmark and their population of 5 million are capable of competing and regularly sending teams to the Euro/WC in MUCH tougher qualifying groups.

Old
06-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
I think we look good in these sports because very few countries in the World actually play them, at the very least seriously. Probably 97% of the planet lists Football as their #1 sport hence why we look like crap.

I still say we need to look at what countries like Denmark are doing. It's insane that tiny Denmark and their population of 5 million are capable of competing and regularly sending teams to the Euro/WC in MUCH tougher qualifying groups.
That's true. Although I think it's a safe bet to say that the likes of Rugby and Baseball Canada are far less political gongshows like the CSA has proven to be.

As for Denmark, it's like I said, there's no reason why Canada shouldn't be 3rd or 4th in CONCACAF. Given the number of players we have, knocking off Costa Rica and Honduras should be an after thought. But it all comes back to the CSA not having a clue.

Rocko604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 01:06 PM
gary69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I was in Hamburg at the time. Also 5.

I was very proud of Canada, until I saw the odds.

Worst in the World Cup, at 1000 to 1.
I remember that Canada's keeper Lettieri was good enough. I only knew / had seen Carl Valentine bofore the WC and he was decent playing in England.

It seems that much hasn't changed in 25 years, Canada can regularly produce some good enough players to make it to the finals, but unfortunately only 2-3 at at the same time and the rest are just too poor.

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Somewhat related, the 2014 kit:

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Bionda

The CSA are inept morons and deserve every single one of their failures.
Thankfully, Canada is making impressive strides in Basketball, Rugby Union, Rugby Sevens, Rugby League, Baseball etc..

Bionda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 08:44 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Junior Hoilett committed to Canada or no?

I mean like hockey is expensive and Soccer is really fun as a younger kid, 30m people you'd got to think some kids would be atleast above average (ish) professional quality.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Jaqen

I wouldn't want to see Canada make the World Cup any time soon, because it would be a humiliating failure.

Jaqen is offline   Reply With Quote