HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Return for Carter vs. Return for Richards

View Poll Results: Which return is better?
Sean Couturier + Jakub Voracek + Nick Cousins (early 3rd 2011) 62 66.67%
Brayden Schenn + Wayne Simmonds + late 2nd 2012 31 33.33%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-15-2011, 03:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Return for Carter vs. Return for Richards

This should be closer now than it ever was due to Couturier. I think at this point the question becomes necessary.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:04 PM
BringBackStevens

Too early, obviously.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:04 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

As of right now, it looks like Coots and Jake were a more bountiful return.

10-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Krishna

Cant vote right now.. But i would currently vote Return for Carter

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
We'll let you know in 5 years

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The way couturier is playing now, and it seems like voracek and simmonds are ready to take the next step we should be able to tell by the end of next year, if not this year if we continue to have succes.

This is more than just player for player comparison, it is how the new guys suit the team, the speed and size both voracek and simmonds bring to the wing is awesome, and fits lavy style. Couturier already has his defense game, it cannot get worse but only better over time, and if his offense game develops into what he is capable he will be off the charts as an all around player. Schenn looks to be ready looking like a man among boys in the AHL. The locker room seems better, the players are all giving it 100% every shift, playing a full 60 minutes, they all seem comfortable and happy to be part of the team, and all of that is extremely underrated when adding up the value of the trades.

It is likely everyone looks back on both these trades sooner rather later saying how we ran away with a kings ransom in both cases. (I already feel that way)

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Mgkibbles

I like Couturier more as a prospect than Schenn. So I'll go with the Carter deal.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:26 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
This isn't a poll asking "Wait five years." or "Too close right now."

I want to know which way people are honestly leaning now. I will point out that it was probably unanimously in favor of the Richards trade when it happened since we didn't know we would be drafting Couturier.

Old
10-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Couturier will be a better player then Schenn...

Honestly though its too early to tell.

But i like the Carter deal better as of right now.

I like both returns though. Simmonds is a heck of a player.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This isn't a poll asking "Wait five years." or "Too close right now."

I want to know which way people are honestly leaning now. I will point out that it was probably unanimously in favor of the Richards trade when it happened since we didn't know we would be drafting Couturier.
Nothing has changed really since the summer. You're asking if there is any difference based on 4 games.

Luca Sbisa was a superstar after the same amount of time.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I cannot really cast a vote right now... I'll pick one eventually I suppose BUT not only do we really have to see how these players turn out over the course of a season, but we have to look at how they end up in their Flyers careers; do they re-sign at a fair valued contract or do they hamstring the Flyers or have to be moved? Also how Richards and Carter play out their contracts and develop has to come into play, IMO... But as it has been already posted the way the players fit in ultimately counts most, and we will never know how Richie and Carts would have made out here going forward.

At this point I will assume that Couturier and Schenn will pan out as projected and as so far observed as top tier players... And I will also assume that Cousins and the 2nd Rounder from the Kings play out equals... Which to me says that it comes down to Simmonds vs Voracek.

Right now I see Simmonds as more of an as advertised very good fit for the Flyers and maybe a better than seamless replacement for Harntell when he moves on (probably at the end of his contract)... He appears to be what we were told; a player we will love here. Jake on the other hand to me is an X-factor who, if he can hit his original scouted projection in the NHL will be a wonderful fit here and might resolve the question... but if he doesn't get his talent working game to game a this level, and/or does not keep in as good a physical and mental state as he needs to, he might resolve the question the opposite way.

... Also I suppose we must look at the long range Cap effects from each trade... which also will not be known for quite a while.

I guess with all the above taken into consideration I will cast my vote for he Return on Richards... BUT I sure hope we revisit this periodically over the next several years.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:00 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Nothing has changed really since the summer. You're asking if there is any difference based on 4 games.

Exactly. Not a question that can be answered right now. I like all 4 of the players they got. We'll see how it turns out.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:06 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:

LMFAO that is so true. I love going to games and seeing people with Sbisa jerseys.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

People are taking this as a personal affront as if I'm in here trying to trick them into picking the wrong answer.

I'm just curious as to what everyone's impression is right now. I promise I'm not going to quote and say "hahaha" while rubbing it in your face years from now.

While I'm starting to like Couturier more than Schenn, I'm also starting to like Simmonds more than Voracek. I think Simmonds brings something a little more unique in terms of similar players in the NHL. I also think Simmonds can do that while putting up similar numbers to Voracek if Voracek never takes the leap.

It's not an easy question. You don't need to take it as a trick though.

Old
10-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
LMFAO that is so true. I love going to games and seeing people with Sbisa jerseys.
I was tempted... the kid was impressive for a while... and I liked the number 47 which is a good one for me. So glad I was smart enough in the end.

Old
10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Damaged Goods

The Carter return is going to win by a landslide since everyone is over-the-moon with Couturier right now, while Schenn has yet to make a mark.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
The Carter return is going to win by a landslide since everyone is over-the-moon with Couturier right now, while Schenn has yet to make a mark.
Well, if you haven't seen Schenn dominating the AHL like it's his own personal play thing I suggest you look into it.

People who think they may be disappointed by Schenn are in for a pleasant surprise.

It's on the level of JVR vs. the Caps rookie team right before JVR made his NHL debut.

Old
10-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
People are taking this as a personal affront as if I'm in here trying to trick them into picking the wrong answer.

I'm just curious as to what everyone's impression is right now. I promise I'm not going to quote and say "hahaha" while rubbing it in your face years from now.

While I'm starting to like Couturier more than Schenn, I'm also starting to like Simmonds more than Voracek. I think Simmonds brings something a little more unique in terms of similar players in the NHL. I also think Simmonds can do that while putting up similar numbers to Voracek if Voracek never takes the leap.

It's not an easy question. You don't need to take it as a trick though.
I just think we are saying that it is waaaaaaaaaay too early to say.

I think a discussion thread would have been better than a POLL where we have to suffer PE...............(Premature Evaluation)

Old
10-15-2011, 05:22 PM
ORYX

My Vote went for Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd, but that is long term. I think right now, the better deal is Couturier and Voracek.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Well, if you haven't seen Schenn dominating the AHL like it's his own personal play thing I suggest you look into it.

People who think they may be disappointed by Schenn are in for a pleasant surprise.

It's on the level of JVR vs. the Caps rookie team right before JVR made his NHL debut.

I'm aware. I meant yet to make a mark on the Flyers. I'm just saying that the votes are going to be heavily skewed by short-term perceptions. The Carter package is going to run away with it, when they are actually pretty equal value. Take it for what it's worth.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Haute Couturier

When the trades were made I liked the Richards package more because Schenn was a known quantity unlike the 8th pick, but the Flyers got lucky with Coututier and made a good selection with Cousins. Right now our Carter pieces are a little better.

Voracek > Simmonds
Couturier = Schenn
Cousins > 2nd rounder (right now)

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:37 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

That is a 2nd in a deep defensive draft. I'm hoping for good fortune with that pick. We need defensemen anyway.

Old
10-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Terence Peterman

Shafer, there is no answer now. People are offended because you're asking a silly question. It simply doesn't have an answer yet. If they wanted to post unqualified opinions they'd just write for some hockey site.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 05:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Shafer, there is no answer now. People are offended because you're asking a silly question. It simply doesn't have an answer yet. If they wanted to post unqualified opinions they'd just write for some hockey site.
If people actually get offended over a question like this, I have some serious concerns about them.

Old
10-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
If people actually get offended over a question like this, I have some serious concerns about them.
Nice quick edit.

They'd answer because they're stupefied they're even being asked at this point.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote