HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Johnson gets tossed for headbutting Iginla during fight

Old
11-08-2011, 10:29 PM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Definitely not intentional - but it was a headbutt - like an inadvertent slash I guess.
Yeah, I agree. I don't think it was intentional.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

After seeing that video... complete BS! Johnson is ducking down to avoid a punch coming over the top... Iginla reacts by trying to uppercut him down close, so of course Johnson is going to try to avoid that shot too!

Iginla, since he's trying to throw a punch at him, shifts his body over and they brush coincidentally, not intentionally!

If you look at ten hockey fights, you will probably see that same thing 6 times!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Keltik

vCash: 500
so where was the headbutt?? That was a weak call

FYI the Ref does NOT have to talk to the Captain,he can talk to anyplayer that he wants. The Captains and assistant Captains are usually the choice but it is not a rule.
In this case he was talking to the Coach... what is Koivu going to ask that the Coach wouldn't ask??
I Am NOT a Flames fan either

Keltik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:30 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycore View Post
I'm sure Iginla gives a **** about your opinion on him, oh powerful keyboard-wielding hf'er. Iginla was headbutted and was pissed off about it, and the ref listened to him, a testament to just how respected he is in the NHL and the game in general, respected by actually hockey people who matter, not some crybaby wild fans.

putting aside the fact that you and your fellow minnesota fans are combatting iggy's "whining" with whining,
Iginla was pissed that he's losing the game and that the fight wasn't going his way either. He thought he got headbutt because Johnson's head inadvertently brushed his when he was bringing it back up.

It's not a headbutt, Iginla whined. Don't care who you are, you let the ref call the game. Iginla needs to shut his mouth.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Ryan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilWILDcountry View Post
So he turns around and screams profanities at him? Yah OKKKKK...
im not a professional lip reader and i wasnt at the bench so i dont know what was said

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ShootIt

Seriously? Awful call by the ref.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I'm fine with the call. Have to give Calgary something. They don't have a present or a future. :-(
I agree. As an Oilers fan I can give them a finger.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
Does Shanahan release videos for game misconducts explaining why they aren't suspensions?

I'd like to see what he says about this being a game misconduct.
He will never come out and dispute a call the ref makes on the ice. It's their job, he has his.

That said, no fine, no suspension. Not even worth a 5 min major.

The mustache has spoken.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:32 PM
grN1g

wild bench calling the ref an iggy loving idiot, ref spits all over mikko in defense.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan52 View Post
im not a professional lip reader and i wasnt at the bench so i dont know what was said
You're gonna play that card? It was pretty clear what he said.

Old
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
Iginla was pissed that he's losing the game and that the fight wasn't going his way either. He thought he got headbutt because Johnson's head inadvertently brushed his when he was bringing it back up.

It's not a headbutt, Iginla whined. Don't care who you are, you let the ref call the game. Iginla needs to shut his mouth.
I'm not sure I would go that far...

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I think Iginla used Johnson to head but himself.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
I just wished Iginla showed some class other than whining because he got a face wash, punching two players in the face a few times, not taking off his visor, crying about the fight that he started, etc. I mean he's the captain of the team. Show some class dude.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
I'm sure Iginla gives a **** about your opinion on him, oh powerful keyboard-wielding hf'er. Iginla was headbutted and was pissed off about it, and the ref listened to him, a testament to just how respected he is in the NHL and the game in general, respected by actually hockey people who matter, not some crybaby wild fans.

putting aside the fact that you and your fellow minnesota fans are combatting iggy's "whining" with whining,
Looking on the Flames forums on the Flames website. All the Flames fans are doing is whining about how bad their team is and how their PP sucks big time. I guess we're not the only ones who "whine" after all.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Heh heh heh, I love Brad Staubitz's face when the ref's giving Koivu a mouthful. He's like, "Dude!"
Lmao, that's priceless. Thanks for pointing that out.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Paper

Quote:
Don't care who you are, you let the ref call the game. Koivu needs to shut his mouth.
Fixed it for you

I kid, the ref could have shown a bit more tact in discussing the call especially considering it was a 5 minute major but mad hockey players aren't always the easiest players to talk to.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
i dont see what everyones problem with how the ref talked to koivu... yes hes the captain but it seemed like koivu was interupting the explanation he was giving to the coach. theres no place for the captain when the ref is talking to the coach
Wait so Iggy can whine until he gets a major for something that probably wouldn't even be called in high school, yet a Captain wanting to hear the explanation and state his case to NOT have his best player get ejected and screamed at by the same ref is okay? That is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:

Okay....really not liking your choice of words there. Just because a player is respected doesn't mean he can tell the ref, "He hurt me. Toss him." A ref shouldn't make decisions on what a player tells him....it should be based on what he saw.

Respected players don't need to be given certain rights out there. I can remember when Lemieux was given a protective bubble to play in. If you got within 2 feet of him, you'd get called. It wasn't a sign of respect. It was an embarrassment.

Last edited by NHL1674: 11-08-2011 at 10:43 PM.
NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:35 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I'm not sure I would go that far...
He wasn't exactly "dominating" Johnson... Johnson was very defensive the whole fight, and Iginla wasn't landing the hits he would have liked.

Old
Ryan52

Quote:
You're gonna play that card? It was pretty clear what he said.
play what card? i honestly suck at reading lips...
and if he swore, i dont really care as long as he didnt say anything racist or offensive. these are grown men

Old
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Fixed it for you

I kid, the ref could have shown a bit more tact in discussing the call especially considering it was a 5 minute major but mad hockey players aren't always the easiest players to talk to.
It wasn't for the 5 minute major, it was because they were ejecting Johnson who was the best player on the ice at that point because Iggy didn't want to take his helmet off like a man.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:36 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
i dont see what everyones problem with how the ref talked to koivu... yes hes the captain but it seemed like koivu was interupting the explanation he was giving to the coach. theres no place for the captain when the ref is talking to the coach
Pretty much.

I mean, suffice it to say Koivu didn't skate over and say "Excuse me Mr. Referee, sir, may I have a quiet word?" He was probably flipping out at him.

I'll bet my bottom dollar referees tell players to shut the **** up (using that kind of language) pretty regularly.

Last edited by clefty: 11-08-2011 at 10:53 PM.
clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Ryan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Wait so Iggy can whine until he gets a major for something that probably wouldn't even be called in high school, yet a Captain wanting to hear the explanation and state his case to NOT have his best player get ejected and screamed at by the same ref is okay? That is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
if i defended the call, you would have a point. but since i think the ref caved into iggy, and the call was bad, you made up the first half of this post. still the dumbest thing you've read?

Old
11-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Hmmm so the guy without a helmet is throwing a headbutt at the guy who is not only wearing a helmet, but also has a visor.....

Not sure about that one, to me he looked like he was just trying to keep his head from being caved in. And I'm I the only one who was hoping Koivu would peel that mustache off the idiot refs face? The guy looked like Rod Farva.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:38 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
play what card? i honestly suck at reading lips...
and if he swore, i dont really care as long as he didnt say anything racist or offensive. these are grown men
You do realize that cursing is called OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE right?