HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Johnson gets tossed for headbutting Iginla during fight

Old
11-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Time for Koivu to Kronwall that ref. Oh another penalty on the Wild I see.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:40 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan52 View Post
if i defended the call, you would have a point. but since i think the ref caved into iggy, and the call was bad, you made up the first half of this post. still the dumbest thing you've read?
No. you saying that the ref can say whatever he wants to a player as long as it isn't racist or offensive, yet not knowing that swearing is considered offensive language may take that one.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
He wasn't exactly "dominating" Johnson... Johnson was very defensive the whole fight, and Iginla wasn't landing the hits he would have liked.
Defensive as in leading his forehead into Iginla's chin over the course of the fight then I would agree.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Time for Koivu to Kronwall that ref. Oh another penalty on the Wild I see.
They are trying to give this game to Calgary at this point. I'm surprised they haven't called a 10 minute misconduct on Backstrom for breathing at this point.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Ryan52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
You do realize that cursing is called OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE right?
hahaha your one of those people, that get offended when the wind blows. i on the other hand have no problem with swearing as long as he isn't saying offensive things (telling him to ****ing shut up isnt offensive), so its all fine by me

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Ryan52

Quote:
No. you saying that the ref can say whatever he wants to a player as long as it isn't racist or offensive, yet not knowing that swearing is considered offensive language may take that one.
the players swear at the refs too, dont get it twisted

Old
11-08-2011, 10:43 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Defensive as in leading his forehead into Iginla's chin over the course of the fight then I would agree.
Defensive as in ducking under punches being thrown uptop, then moving up and out of the way of an uppercut coming from below.... that's absolutely defensive.

There was no forehead involved, the top of his head brushed by Iginla's chin as Iginla leaned in for the uppercut after Johnson ducked the punch above!

Johnson was just dodging punches plain and simple!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:45 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
hahaha your one of those people, that get offended when the wind blows. i on the other hand have no problem with swearing as long as he isn't saying offensive things (telling him to ****ing shut up isnt offensive), so its all fine by me
Fine by you, not by the player. And don't try to incite me in on this sparky...you have no idea who I am to make that accusation. I simply stated you aren't realizing that cursing is offensive language. Just because we may be okay with it, doesn't mean that a ref cursing at a player who is simply doing their role is acceptable nor professional in the league that claims it is the most professional of the ice hockey leagues in the world.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:45 PM
haveandare

Two things come to mind when I see this video:

1. Johnson appears to headbutt Iginla in the shoulder prior to him yelling for the call - not hard enough or in a painful enough spot to warrant a call in my opinion - it probably hurt Johnson a lot more than Iginla.

2. That being said, Iginla pulled Johnson out of a pile up to and started wailing on him with his visor on, which wouldn't be so ridiculous if it weren't for the fact that he was beating a seemingly unwilling Johnson and had to the time to stop and whine for a call but not the time to take off his visor. That is really, really lame.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:46 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
the players swear at the refs too, dont get it twisted
Not getting it twisted, brah (assuming since you're using slang and all). There is a difference between swearing b/c of something bogus and a ref losing their cool like they are a high school referee doing this as their parttime job. That was unprofessional plain and 100% simple. And about 90% of HFB so far in this thread has agreed with that.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

It looks like the referee (Kowal?) said "don't ****ing yell at me" while he was explaining the call to Yeo. Apparently Koivu was behind the referee yelling at him while he was discussing Johnson's match penalty with the head coach. I can see with the referee would lose it like that. I don't blame him.

Domhnall Dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Two things come to mind when I see this video:

1. Johnson appears to headbutt Iginla in the shoulder prior to him yelling for the call - not hard enough or in a painful enough spot to warrant a call in my opinion - it probably hurt Johnson a lot more than Iginla.

2. That being said, Iginla pulled Johnson out of a pile up to and started wailing on him with his visor on, which wouldn't be so ridiculous if it weren't for the fact that he was beating a seemingly unwilling Johnson and had to the time to stop and whine for a call but not the time to take off his visor. That is really, really lame.
What is lame is the fact that three players swarmed the captain of our team, he has every right to stick up for himself.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Ryan52

Quote:
Fine by you, not by the player. And don't try to incite me in on this sparky...you have no idea who I am to make that accusation. I simply stated you aren't realizing that cursing is offensive language. Just because we may be okay with it, doesn't mean that a ref cursing at a player who is simply doing their role is acceptable nor professional in the league that claims it is the most professional of the ice hockey leagues in the world.
koivu wasnt doing his role. he doesnt need to talk to the ref when the ref is talking to his coach. the point of the captains and assistants is so the ref can tell them, and they relay the explanation to the coach. if the ref is talking to the coach, he should keep his mouth shut

Old
11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWiles View Post
It looks like the referee (Kowal?) said "don't ****ing yell at me" while he was explaining the call to Yeo. Apparently Koivu was behind the referee yelling at him while he was discussing Johnson's match penalty with the head coach. I can see with the referee would lose it like that. I don't blame him.
Actually he said "Don't ***ing talk to me!"

Old
11-08-2011, 10:49 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
What is lame is the fact that three players swarmed the captain of our team, he has every right to stick up for himself.
Agreed, but NOBODY threw punches at Iginla.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Iginla is the only one throwing punches, Johnson has every right to try to avoid those punches.

Old
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Defensive as in ducking under punches being thrown uptop, then moving up and out of the way of an uppercut coming from below.... that's absolutely defensive.

There was no forehead involved, the top of his head brushed by Iginla's chin as Iginla leaned in for the uppercut after Johnson ducked the punch above!

Johnson was just dodging punches plain and simple!
Also no forehead involved? Please watch from the 0:27 Mark - 0:31 Mark ( which is prior to Iginla actually getting pissed )

Old
BigT2002

Quote:
koivu wasnt doing his role. he doesnt need to talk to the ref when the ref is talking to his coach. the point of the captains and assistants is so the ref can tell them, and they relay the explanation to the coach. if the ref is talking to the coach, he should keep his mouth shut
I take it you've never been a Captain before. Trust me, you are going to make sure you relay (especially when you haven't talked to your coach yet about what happened from a diff. angle) what is going on. That ref jumped completely off the ship and went off the handle. Maybe been yelled at too much and can't handle it??? Never seen that before.

Old
11-08-2011, 10:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Pretty much.

I mean, suffice it to say Koivu didn't skate over and say "Excuse me Mr. Referee, sir, may I have a quiet word?" He was probably flipping out at him.

I'll bet my bottom dollar referee's tell players to shut the **** up (using that kind of language) pretty regularly.
yeah, have to agree with this.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CorsiCounter

How is Iginla going to take his visor off there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Agreed, but NOBODY threw punches at Iginla.
Oh no!

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ryan52

Quote:
Not getting it twisted, brah (assuming since you're using slang and all). There is a difference between swearing b/c of something bogus and a ref losing their cool like they are a high school referee doing this as their parttime job. That was unprofessional plain and 100% simple. And about 90% of HFB so far in this thread has agreed with that.
twisted= distorted, distorted = misrepresented.

anyways, if i am in the 10%, thats the beauty of message boards. we can voice different opinions, which is why we are having the conversation. it would be no fun if we all agreed

Old
11-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Captain Crybaby doing what he does best, especially when losing. Another moment to be proud of for Jarome Hellmuth Jr.!

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Iginla just has to remember to wear his chin-visor next time he thinks he might get in a fight. wouldn't want to bite his tongue whilst telling the ref what penalties to call.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Thats fine by me, thats one of my favorite aspects of his play. I love that he can score and also fight pretty much anybody. I'm not saying he shouldn't try to beat the crap out of Johnson if he wants to and Johnson drops the gloves, I'm just saying that if you have a visor on you should remove it before a fight or as soon as possible in the fight. He had a lot of time to take it off - I thought he was dominating the entire thing and he had the time to gesture to the ref about the headbutt. You're not on an even playing field whatsoever when you have a plastic shield over half of your face and the other fighter doesn't.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Esq.

I didn't think Johnson tried to headbutt Iginla. I think he kind of lowered his head a bit to protect his face while he attempted to wrestle Iginla down. It wasn't malicious in any way as far as I am concerned. I don't expect any supplemental discipline from the NHL.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote