HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr too Retire??

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Lafontaine2Mogilny

vCash: 500
Jagr too Retire??

What's the story with Jagr telling the CBC after the game against Sweden that this would be the final tournament he would be representing his country...The Olympics are in 2yrs?? Does this mean he's finished after next year at the age of 33?? CAn anyone Clarify this for me..I have him in my pool and want to know the inside scoop

Old
09-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Balej20*

I'm pretty sure he only means he is done with international events. I really dont think he is refering to the nhl at all. He has said time and time again this off season that he is thrilled to be finallly playing with the rangers and looks forward to helping this tema.

Old
09-10-2004, 12:25 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Maybe he's just quitting international...

Old
09-10-2004, 12:41 AM
rebuildthis

Send a message via AIM to rebuildthis
ya, he seems pretty bummed about this czech team.

Old
09-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Rodent

Okay. I wrote about this last Saturday when Jagr told Dries (a Prague paper) that both he and Jiri Dopita were done playing for the National Team after this series.

It has nothing to do with the NHL for Jagr.

Unless something unforeseen occurs, JJ has 100% intention of playing out his NHL contract.

He has stated more than once that he's upset with himself for the past two seasons and will do what he can to restore his reputation as the single best hockey player in the world. He has also made mention that as he observes the current youth movement happening on Broadway, he believes that maybe (at his age) it is now his responsibility to assist the development of the younger guys. But this youth movement has not made him officially wish to be elsewhere. He has stated numerous times that New York is always where he wished to play and now that he is here, he is not seeking a trade elsewhere.

For Bobby Holik, the situation might be otherwise.

But for JJ, it's Gotham through 2007.

No Olympics.

No World Champinships.

No World Cups.

Just Rangers during the season and "Team Jagr" over the summer.

Old
09-10-2004, 02:31 AM
Rodent

Understand that this is not new news.

Jagr was balking at playing in the World Cup all summer.

It was never Jagr's intention to play for the National Team. He openly resisted until the last minute. In fact, he had a thigh injury which prevented him from playing in his own "Team Jagr" All-Star troupe (soccer, volleyball exhibitions by famous athletes).

It was Ivan Hlinka who twisted JJ's arm to participate mere hours before Ivan was killed by that truck.

They were at a Czech sports awards dinner and Ivan spent some time alone with JJ somewhere around 3 AM discussing the World Cup. It was while driving back to Prague that Hlinka was struck by the truck which failed to negotiate a curve. JJ could no longer say "no".

Old
09-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Lafontaine2Mogilny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Understand that this is not new news.

Jagr was balking at playing in the World Cup all summer.

It was never Jagr's intention to play for the National Team. He openly resisted until the last minute. In fact, he had a thigh injury which prevented him from playing in his own "Team Jagr" All-Star troupe (soccer, volleyball exhibitions by famous athletes).

It was Ivan Hlinka who twisted JJ's arm to participate mere hours before Ivan was killed by that truck.

They were at a Czech sports awards dinner and Ivan spent some time alone with JJ somewhere around 3 AM discussing the World Cup. It was while driving back to Prague that Hlinka was struck by the truck which failed to negotiate a curve. JJ could no longer say "no".

That is awesome news!! Now I won't have to be desparate trying to unload this guy on some poor unsuspecting FHL team.

Closed Thread