HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Urquart signed for 3 years!

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2004, 11:43 AM
JF

vCash: 500
Urquhart signed for 3 years!

link: http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/re...ewsItemID=3937

Old
09-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Mike The Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF

confirms what my friend said last week. Now lets see what is the time line for him to make the NHL

Old
09-09-2004, 12:09 PM
All-Star

Good news... Hopefully the AHL can toughen him up a little. If he could play a little rougher, he'd be a very good prospect.

Old
09-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Shazbot

Suddenly, the Canadiens have a lot of their young talent under contract. If there is a lockout, the Bulldogs could ice a pretty good team even without the extra players from Dallas.

The top eight or so could include: Plekanec, Higgins, Hossa, Kostitsyn, Ferland, Milroy, Lambert, Urquhart, and Locke.

That's not a whole lot of experience but it is a lot of talent.

Mix in guys like: Morgan, Dusablon, Thinel, Larrivée, and Carpentier, and that's a reasonably well balanced club.

On D, I believe someone mentioned Komisarek would play in the AHL if the NHL closes its doors next year. Pair him up with Beauchemin and add Hainsey, Côté, Archer, Shasby and they look like hot stuff.

The Dogs should be solid in goal with Danis and one of the experienced jouneymen goalies backing him up (I don't know which of Damphousse or Fichaud is still under contract - or both?).

If the Habs can't play this year, I'd be really happy if RDS and RSE can find a way to televise a bunch of Bulldogs games for us, wouldn't you?

Last edited by Shazbot: 09-09-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old
09-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Im not too familuar with this kid. Someone wana give me the gist of him??

What type of game does he play, is he play maker, goal scorer, whats his potential in the nhl, is on track in terms of developement????

Thanks!

Old
09-09-2004, 12:45 PM
neopreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot
Suddenly, the Canadiens have a lot of their young talent under contract. If there is a lockout, the Bulldogs could ice a pretty good team even without the extra players from Dallas.

The top eight or so could include: Plekanec, Higgins, Hossa, Kostitsyn, Ferland, Milroy, Lambert, Urquhart, and Locke.

Mix in guys like: Morgan, Dusablon, Thinel, Larrivée, and Carpentier, and that's a reasonably well balanced club.

On D, I believe someone mentioned Komisarek would play in the AHL if the NHL closes its doors next year. Pair him up with Beauchemin and add Hainsey, Côté, Archer, Shasby and they look like hot stuff.

The Dogs should be solid in goal with Danis and one of the experienced jouneymen goalies backing him up (I don't know which of Damphousse or Fichaud is still under contract - or both?).

If the Habs can't play this year, I'd be really happy if RDS and RSE can find a way to televise a bunch of Bulldogs games for us, wouldn't you?
I'd really like for RDS to play Bulldogs games as well... regardless of whether there's NHL hockey next year or not...

Maybe air the games later at night (around midnight?)

That would be cool

Old
09-09-2004, 12:50 PM
AK-47

That would be good, but honestly i'm still hoping for some habs games....Let's keep are fingers crossed.

Last edited by AK-47: 10-19-2004 at 05:55 PM.
Old
09-09-2004, 12:51 PM
highstickingyerface

Send a message via MSN to highstickingyerface
Urquhart is tremendously skilled and is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. He is a decent skater but he lacks any sandpaper or willingmess to fight thru traffic for loose pucks. He will need to work on that before he ever cracks an NHL lineup.

Old
09-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Fugazi*

An interesting prospect but at this point I can't help but think Andrew Cassels. A soft center with some potential second line skills. We'll see................

Old
09-09-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi
An interesting prospect but at this point I can't help but think Andrew Cassels. A soft center with some potential second line skills. We'll see................
I'd be more than happy if Urqhart can have the same kind of career with the Habs as Cassels had with the numerous teams he's played for

Old
09-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Fugazi*

Cassels career is fine and all but I guess I caught myself buying in to the hype these boards can create, you're right, there'd be nothing wrong with a 40th overall pick having that type of career. Personally, I could care less about the Habs dressing soft players, we all know how that drums been banged.

Old
09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi
Cassels career is fine and all but I guess I caught myself buying in to the hype these boards can create, you're right, there'd be nothing wrong with a 40th overall pick having that type of career. Personally, I could care less about the Habs dressing soft players, we all know how that drums been banged.
This is the way i see it. Soft or not, they will have value if they have skill and can put up the numbers. The more assets we have, the more chances we will have of trading to fill in gaps down the road......

I mean look what Garon got us..........

Old
09-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I mean look what Garon got us..........

Look what BALEJ got us

Old
09-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Jean Beliveau

What if Urquhart eventually turned into another Brad Richards. (wishful thinking on my part)

Urquhart: HT: 6-2 WT: 195

Richards: HT: 6-1 WT: 198

Like Richards, Urqhart has great imagination with the puck and excellent playmaking ability but isn't known as a physical force.

Old
09-09-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau
What if Urquhart eventually turned into another Brad Richards. (wishful thinking on my part)

Like Richards, Urqhart has great imagination with the puck and excellent playmaking ability but isn't known as a physical force.
Good point, although I don't think his vision and playmaking abilities are on par with Richards...

Richards is ridiculous, this World Cup tournament and during the playoffs vs. the Bolts made me realize how good he is and dosen't get the respect he deserves, this guy's vision is off the charts, did you see that pass last night, and there was another goal vs. USA I think where he sent it cross ice to St-Louis barried it, I was , he's quickly becoming one of my favorite players, right now IMO, Richards is the premier playmaker in the game, and that's saying something...

Old
09-09-2004, 02:48 PM
HABitude

But look at what patience with talented players can bring: Brad Richards (drafted far like Urquhart). Urquhart could developp into a good center with size and extra-skills.

Not so long ago the Habs drafted unskilled players with great heart: it gave us Brent Bilodeau, Matt Higgins, Terry Ryan, Wilkie, Turner Stevenson, etc. A nightmare.

Stevenson is the only one who had any success in NHL. He have grit and heart but hands of ciment, couldn't score in an 2 seconds open net. After 4 seconds, it's too late.

Now habs are drafting lot of talented players, only a few of them will developp what it takes to make an NHL impact. This is the way to rebuilding. Having a core of talented players ala Sykora or Elias. Last year they drafted another kind of talent: Chipchura; in the mold of great teamate leader. It takes a good mix of both kind of players. Personnally I do beleive in Urquhart. Can't explain why. A presentiment.

Old
09-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau

are you a different version of DB23

JOKING, but honestly size as nothing to do with skills, numbers in this case.. might just help you compare those 2.. you will rarely see a star having .. respectable numbers in the Q. Richards simply destroyed the league when he was 18.

no not a chance he become another richards. but who knows.. maybe a 60pts player in the future..

NB. Richards scored 60pts in the NHL as a rookie at 19 years old if i remember well, expect big numbers for Richards next season now that the confidence level as reached new highs for him, same for Lecavalier.. this team will be awesome..

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=35725

look at his stats, scary.

Old
09-09-2004, 03:25 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20

JOKING, but honestly size as nothing to do with skills, numbers in this case.. might just help you compare those 2.. you will rarely see a star having .. respectable numbers in the Q. Richards simply destroyed the league when he was 18.

no not a chance he become another richards. but who knows.. maybe a 60pts player in the future..

NB. Richards scored 60pts in the NHL as a rookie at 19 years old if i remember well, expect big numbers for Richards next season now that the confidence level as reached new highs for him, same for Lecavalier.. this team will be awesome..

I agree.71 G 115 assist !!?!?!??! MARVELOUS !!!

Richards has more skills and He's mature.Urquhart had decent numbers in the Q.We don't know maybe he can bring his off skills to the next level.He's still a good prospect.I can't see Urquhart getting 75 goals and 115 assists and the Q.Richards has more offensif skills IMO not because of the stats.I watched him play he has very good and fast wrist shot.His slapshot is scary too and He has tremendous passing skills (We saw tha tin the playoffs and in the WC).

Last edited by CH Wizard: 09-09-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot

No Hossa or Hainsey with the Bulldogs without going throught the waivers.

They don't have to be on the 20 players list for the waiver draft but have to go throught waivers to play in the AHL this season. Rules on waivers are applied even with a lockout.

Old
09-09-2004, 04:04 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I think it's going to be a very big year for several of our prospects. I can't wait to see what Urquhart, Lambert, Locke, Danis, Kostitsyn and maybe Flood do in the AHL next year (assuming that's where they play next season) and how Milroy, Archer and Ferland do with an increased role.

Urquhart has very good offensive ability, he is a good stickhandler, very good playmaker and a great wrist shot that he should use more often. He's got good size but lacks upper and lower body strength, so it will be interesting to see how he fares along the boards, in front of the net and how he contains his man down low. Defensively he is average I'd say as his lack of strength is where he gets in trouble in his own end. His skating and foot speed seemed to have improved which is good for him, but he'll need to keep improving in this area as he'll need to get a bit faster. The biggest problem I've noticed with Urquhart is that he does not play physical at all, this might not be exposed as a problem in the AHL, but in the NHL he won't make it unless he gets stronger and learns to take the body in some aspect, imo.

Old
09-09-2004, 04:28 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20

i was sure that Richard was playing with Lecavalier at that time ,but they only played 1 year together he got all those points in the junior because of his talent

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 09-09-2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old
09-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Kinda like Locke was Richards. Huge pt. totals in junior, but didn't get picked in the first 2 rounds because of his lack of physicality. Sure, Locke is smaller but Richards brings a little hope to Habs fans hoping Locke is our next Koivu-like centre (playmaking-wise).

Old
09-09-2004, 08:33 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I can't wait to watch a few Hamilton games, it should be a fun year.

Old
09-09-2004, 08:46 PM
x-bob

Good news

Closed Thread