HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stickhandling questions

Old
11-10-2011, 12:55 PM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

vCash: 500
stickhandling questions

been playing hockey for a couple weeks now (inline).. when i stick handle the puck keeps flipping on me all the time! i know im new to the sport, but i was wondering if the reason it always flips on me is just because im new and just need to keep practicing, or if maybe im not doing it right?. that being said i have a few questions..

1. what part of the blade should i be handling the stick with? should the puck be on the heel? toe? or the middle? does it even matter???

2. is the smart hockey ball the best way to practice at home??

3. I ultimately want to play ice hockey. i'm curious if stickhandling is harder on ice or inline??

thanks in advance for the help!!!

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You'll want to make sure you are rolling your wrists to cup the puck flat. It should be soft touches when stickhandling, not fast or slapping at the puck.

It should be easier on ice because the blade won't grab the puck and tip it over as much.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
vapor11

I use the tip(last few inches) of my blade for stickhandling and shooting..I am not a wiz on the subject though but I would assume it depends on the curve you use as to where you want the puck to be on your stick..I like a decent curve like the sakic blades.. right now I use a P88 Vapor x20

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
the easiest way to tell if you are doing it correctly is to listen to your handle, if you are making alot of slapping or puck hitting the stick noises or even stick hitting the ice noises, you are doing it wrong. a proper stick handle should be close to silent. you are cradling the puck similar to a basketball dribble.

as a beginner keep the puck in the middle of your blade, this gives you the highest room for error. keep your hands 12-16" apart. and most of all keep practicing, its not easy but once you can do it with out thinking about it you will find the game so much more fun.

also ice is easier

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:18 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
I use the tip(last few inches) of my blade for stickhandling and shooting..I am not a wiz on the subject though but I would assume it depends on the curve you use as to where you want the puck to be on your stick..I like a decent curve like the sakic blades.. right now I use a P88 Vapor x20
I'm assuming your shot is a bit of a flutterball? Unless you're using a serious toe hook then shooting from the toe will result in less puck contact time with the blade, and less spin on the puck in general. When I was younger I used to shoot more from the toe (was easier to raise it that way when I was little), but once I learned to shoot from the mid-blade my shot improved tremendously (or even from the mid-heel area when using heel curve). When dragging the puck in to set up a snap shot I'll use the mid-toe, but when powering through the shot the puck should be mid-blade, you just get a lot more power and spin this way.

As for the original question, agreed with what the other posters said, just focus on softly cradling/cupping the puck instead of smacking it, with practice this will become natural.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:36 PM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

much appreciated!

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah like Ponder I shoot from the middle of my blade with a mid curve, or heel with a heel curve. Shooting from the toe with my Sakic or Drury would cause a fluttering puck with no speed. With a toe curve it would work but I like the Sakic just fine.

I stickhandle between the mid and heel of my blade for more control.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:45 PM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'm assuming your shot is a bit of a flutterball? Unless you're using a serious toe hook then shooting from the toe will result in less puck contact time with the blade, and less spin on the puck in general. When I was younger I used to shoot more from the toe (was easier to raise it that way when I was little), but once I learned to shoot from the mid-blade my shot improved tremendously (or even from the mid-heel area when using heel curve). When dragging the puck in to set up a snap shot I'll use the mid-toe, but when powering through the shot the puck should be mid-blade, you just get a lot more power and spin this way.

As for the original question, agreed with what the other posters said, just focus on softly cradling/cupping the puck instead of smacking it, with practice this will become natural.
my mistake..I pulled out a stick and puck just to verify.. I use mainly mid to tip for stickhandling/snapping and the middle for wrist/slapshot

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote