HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#15 Kings v Preds 11/8/11 - WIN ! POST GAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-09-2011, 03:28 AM
TwzKing

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
WINNING GOALTENDER Losing Goaltender

THREE STAR Selections
1st : = (C) Goals: 0, Assists: 2
2nd : = (D) Goals: 1, Assists: 0
3rd : = (D) Goals: 0, Assists: 1

RECAP = http://kings.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2011020210
BOXSCORE = http://kings.nhl.com/club/boxscore.htm?id=2011020210
GAME VIDEO = http://kings.nhl.com/club/gamevideo.htm?id=2011020210
PHOTOGALLERY = http://kings.nhl.com/club/gallerylanding.htm

- UPCOMING SCHEDULE -
Quick is so good he doesnt have to play to get the win

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:30 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Doughty got his first of the season too. Character win for the Kings.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:49 AM
SuperAlmeida

HAHA!
Quote:
FORWARD CRAIG SMITH:

On the overall game - "I felt some areas we were doing some good things, but we definitely need to clear some things up before tomorrow night... [The Kings] are a pretty fast team. They jumped on us quick every time we made a mistake…They have a lot of guys who can play, especially at the back end. They were pressuring us hard and their D[efense] was coming up and making it hard on our forwards in the zone. They’re a good team and they were capitalizing on it... They had a tough loss last night so they were a pretty hungry team tonight. We haven’t played a game in a couple days here but it’s no excuse. They’re a good team and so are we. They came off flying, they had some nice goals off that bat and I think that always helps."

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Jesus man. C'mon
Even Jesus would agree that now is the time to refinance your mortgage. With rates neat historic lows, now is the time to lock in a lower rate on a 15 year mortgage and own your house sooner.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Solid game. A big step in the right direction. Got outworked at times on a couple of bad bounces, but Bernier pulled himself together after the first two. Glad to see the team actually hitting again--some REALLY hard hits in this one!

Let's put a few together and see where it goes!

I also now dislike Shea Weber. Dive, dive, slash, rough, dive.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Some positives from the game:

Kings score more than 2 goals in regulation for the 3rd time in 15 games. They are 3-0 when they do.

Kings scored 4 goals with zero from Kopitar.

Kings defensemen scored 2 goals.

Stoll, Williams and Penner with 2 assists each.

Richards and Doughty each with an even strength goal.

Kings make a backup goalie look like a backup goalie.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:52 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I suffer seizures too kf. Hope your alright.
Yeah i'm ok. Just gotta take a day or so to rest.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:55 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
Nice birthday present for me..
Happy birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Well we won't be hearing from tomd or PSP for a couple of days.
Well, Tomd anyways. I'm sure the three goals were still DL's fault though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post

What do you want me to say? He was one of the worst players on the ice in terms of skill. He is a big body and that is about it. He can't control the puck or make a pass. Hell, he can hardly shoot and stay up on his feet. I want him to succeed as badly as everyone else, but damn, I'm not seeing it. Even when it is apparently his best game of the season.
You can say what you want about Penner's work ethic, drive and determination and I'll agree. The dude is lazy 95% of the time. This is the hardest he's supposedly worked ever in his career, and he's not really wowing anyone work ethic wise. But if you want to state he's one of the worst players on the ice in terms of skill, you are flat out wrong. The guy is a beast when he wants to be.

Honestly, if DL gave up a 1st, 3rd and Teubert for a Dustin Penner who played his hardest game in, game out, I'd have praised that deal in every language I could find a translator for. Skill wise, Penner is one of the best on the team, problem is he doesn't give it his all most of the time, and now he's fighting the puck which doesn't make things better. Penner's working harder now than he has in any other season I've seen, and the guy in the past consistently reached 20-30 goals and 45+ points as a floater. What does that tell you about his skill. When he's on, he's like a poor man's Mario or Lindros in how he can use his size and good wheels for a big guy to just dominate the game. It's to bad he doesn't do it all the time, he'd be a 40 goal guy if he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post
Quick is so good he doesnt have to play to get the win
Nice catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Some positives from the game:

Kings score more than 2 goals in regulation for the 3rd time in 15 games. They are 3-0 when they do.

Kings scored 4 goals with zero from Kopitar.

Kings defensemen scored 2 goals.

Stoll, Williams and Penner with 2 assists each.

Richards and Doughty each with an even strength goal.

Kings make a backup goalie look like a backup goalie.
Good points. I'd like to add Bernier getting his first win, especially as he rebounded from some early goals and played well the final half of the game.

It was big to get Penner, Clifford and Stoll and Martinez on the scoreboard. These are the guys they need to chip in once in a while, and they did. The combined six points these guys had tonight was equal to what they have had combined all season. Hopefully it lets them relax a bit on the stick and they can start chipping in a bit more.

About the only disappointment I can pull from this game is that, other than Martinez, all of the goals came once again from the usual suspects. No goals from Penner, Clifford, Stoll, Richardson, Lewis, Moreau, Mitchell, Scuderi or Greene. While only Penner and Stoll really are expected to score much from that group, they still only have a total of two goals from those guys all season. It was a good start tonight in seeing that change with Martinez getting a goal and five points from Cliffy, Penner and Stoll, but we will need some goals eventually.

But as you said Sydor25, we score three goals or more, we win. Imagine if we could do this more often than just 20% of the time?

Hopefully it carries to the next game. Go Kings!!

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Nex06

Kopitar and Johnson were not at their best, good that couple of other players... emerged.

I have a question regarding faceoffs. In the last period there was one FO where referee didn't let Stoll take it, he requested Kopitar. It was not one of the "you made a mistake, next!" rejections. It looked to me like Kopitar was saying that Stoll is a center too and he can take the FO, but the ref made up his mind of course. Can somebody clarify that for me? Is referee allowed to say "Stoll will not take the FO, Kopitar will" even before the whole process begins?

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:42 AM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I have a question regarding faceoffs. In the last period there was one FO where referee didn't let Stoll take it, he requested Kopitar. It was not one of the "you made a mistake, next!" rejections. It looked to me like Kopitar was saying that Stoll is a center too and he can take the FO, but the ref made up his mind of course. Can somebody clarify that for me? Is referee allowed to say "Stoll will not take the FO, Kopitar will" even before the whole process begins?
Actually i think that Stoll was taking too long to get set and the linesman got pissy and kicked him out. They cant determine who takes faceoffs from my understanding.

As for Kopitar, he was the target for the Suter and Weber pairing from what i saw, and still that line did generate chances.

I think it was a great game by the kings. JJ played pretty good, just had a couple of mistakes in the d zone, but overall good.

I dont know if DB got the hint, but he was back to playing a physical game...i dont think its a coincidence that the 2nd line was playing well with DB keeping his game simple- Hit everything in site...and go to the net. (the pass to richards really surprised me...lol)

As for my stoll rant, i still stand by it even with his 2 point game. His pass to Drew was actually to the foward and it went between his legs. (I could be wrong, but its what i saw). There were numerous times where he could have passed the puck to avoid a dump in, and just didnt see the winger. But he still played a good game.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:04 PM
DaAnimal

Aw dang my prediction was so close, penner almost nabbed his 1st goal of the season. I did predict DD and Richards with a pop each

Did anyone else notice Penner being more happy? First time I saw him smile last night, gave me goosebumps.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:27 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I am happy with the win, two points is two points is two points but, I don't think we are where we need to be just yet. During the first two weeks there were times that we looked like we might be the best team in the league. We may not have scored during each of these times but you could see us firing on all cylinders and really just dominating our opponents for long stretches.

I credit this to our having a few new faces who hadn't had their will to live sucked out of them by Grandmama's system of the living dead. After awhile of having to listen to him during practices and games you eventually just start trying to play "system hockey" and there you go. "ONE OF US ONE OF US GOOBLE GOBBLE GOOBLE GOBLE ONE OF US!"

Meh, like always I am hyper critical of TM so I will get bak to the point.

What I am seeing is us forcing play so that we can up our 5 on 5 scoring to the point of failure at times. I am hopeful that eventually a balance will come and that we will have the best of both worlds or as close as we can get.

There isn't the same connectivity between our forwards and our D as there was last season or at least not on as much of a consistent basis just yet. I believe it will come back around but it is part of the reason that I don't see us as being all too close to where we need to be in order to compete for the cup.

The good thing is that we have exposed a couple of major weaknesses that are undeniable on the wing in our top and bottom 6.

IF Penner can keep turning the corner and finally become the player we know he can be then that would do a satisfactory job for our top 6. We need a speedster/sniper in the mix but that can wait if it has to. Our major need imo is to seriously upgrade our bottom 6 both on 3rd line RW and at insert. Clifford should be playing with TL and that leaves us open for Stolls line. To me it is more a matter of compatibility then anything else where our 3rd line is concerned but where we were dead solid last season we are woefully off this year.

Gone are Zues Simmonds etc in are TH and EM. HUGE loss of skill and smarts there.

I can see things coming together and even believe that by the mid point that we will have addressed the bottom 6 problems and that might just be enough for us to take the next step.

Wow am I rambling.

So far we aren't there and we need to get there if we want to take the next step this year.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:08 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

All new players will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:12 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

A few thoughts from the game:

1. I thought Penner had a very strong game. In addition to the assists, he actually made a couple of very strong defensive plays in the 3rd period. If he could play like that most nights, I really feel like he could be a major asset to the team ("duh," but at least maybe the heckling would stop...it seemed like every single person in PR18 got in at least one dig at the guy).

1a. I thought Brown had a strong game, too. Reminded me of the Brown from a few years ago...

1b. Johnson (who IMHO has been playing well most of the season) had a rough night. Oh well, at least Doughty was there to pick up the slack.

2. My wife (now 6-0 at Staples, by the way) pointed something out. She said, "The team plays differently when Bernier's there, than they do when it's Quick. They play like they need to 'protect' Bernier more." It didn't appear to me that the Kings were playing the "shield" game last night, but I thought it was an interesting observation.

3. LOVE the fact that they now replay penalties on the DiamondTron (or whatever it's called nowadays). I've always wondered why Staples has never done this, when every single other arena I've ever been to has...

The Hegemony Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:15 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I have a seizure, and they win. WTF?
I hope you're being silly. If not, I hope all is well.

no name is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by En Passant View Post

1. I thought Penner had a very strong game. In addition to the assists, he actually made a couple of very strong defensive plays in the 3rd period. If he could play like that most nights, I really feel like he could be a major asset to the team ("duh," but at least maybe the heckling would stop...it seemed like every single person in PR18 got in at least one dig at the guy).

1a. I thought Brown had a strong game, too. Reminded me of the Brown from a few years ago...

1b. Johnson (who IMHO has been playing well most of the season) had a rough night. Oh well, at least Doughty was there to pick up the slack.

2. My wife (now 6-0 at Staples, by the way) pointed something out. She said, "The team plays differently when Bernier's there, than they do when it's Quick. They play like they need to 'protect' Bernier more." It didn't appear to me that the Kings were playing the "shield" game last night, but I thought it was an interesting observation.

3. LOVE the fact that they now replay penalties on the DiamondTron (or whatever it's called nowadays). I've always wondered why Staples has never done this, when every single other arena I've ever been to has...
I've noticed that too, but last night they didn't.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:33 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
I've noticed that too, but last night they didn't.
Hoping Bernier gets more starts this year than last, develops some faith with the rest of the team in a game situation, and in-turn the team can trust him, and vice versa.

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Defgarden

I honestly didn't even notice they were wearing their 3rd jersey until the 2nd period.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
My wife (now 6-0 at Staples, by the way) ...
Season tickets! Get that woman season tickets, stat!!

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:23 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Real proud of Doughty for sticking up for Bernier too. He didn't let that puke get too many words in.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:

I wish they would do away with all the stupid games, trivia, kiss cam, and Bailey and just show replays during the breaks but it seems like live games aren't really catered to die hard hockey fans.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:48 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I hate NHL.com highlights... People talk about how physical Brown was and that he had a big hit that injured Legwand, and they don't even show any of his hits.

Found it on TSN but it should be right there on NHL.com. Many times when there's a big hit in a game, like a Doughty hipcheck, and I go back to look for it on the highlights afterwards they don't even show it. It's like their highlight guy went for coffee or something and missed it. They often show some pointless gentle bump along the boards that happens every other shift though.

Oh well. Wish there was a good, legal option for viewing games live and on demand.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:21 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
What was the answer to the Kings Talk trivia question?

Current NHL Gm who has a brother that played with Kings?

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Doug Wilson.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Quattro