HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penn State vs. Neumann, Jan. 4th, Citizens Bank Park

Old
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Penn State vs. Neumann, Jan. 4th, Citizens Bank Park

http://onwardstate.com/2011/07/13/pe...inter-classic/

Quote:
Penn State Hockey to Take Part In 2012 Winter Classic

Penn State hockey has been one of the hottest topics in Happy Valley in the past year, and today we found another reason to be excited about the future of the program.

According to PennStateHockey.com, the Penn State Icers will play Neumann University, a D-3 NCAA school, on Wednesday, January 4th at 7pm at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. That’s right, Penn State will be a part of the 2012 Winter Classic.

More from PennStateHockey.com:

The Icers were originally set to play the Knights in November with the game possibly being held in the Wells Fargo Center, home of the Philadelphia Flyers.

This will be the first outdoor game for the Icers since they began calling the Greenberg Ice Pavilion home in 1980.

Neumann is located in the Philadelphia suburb of Aston and won the 2009 Division 3 National Championship.

No ticket information is available at this time, according to PennStateHockey.com, but will be made available as soon as possible.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:13 PM
tuckrr

why the eff are they a developing program for the SABRES!

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

I know Penn State is trying to get some attention after making the jump to D1, but is making the biggest game of their season against some D3 school really the best way to publicize the program?

Imo a PSU Vs Princeton game would have been preferable...

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
wesf23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I know Penn State is trying to get some attention after making the jump to D1, but is making the biggest game of their season against some D3 school really the best way to publicize the program?

Imo a PSU Vs Princeton game would have been preferable...
D1 play begins fall of 2012.... several recruits are coming this fall, but we'd get smoked by Princeton. The Icers are a solid ACHA club level team right now so Neumann makes sense. Neumann also being in the Philly area means people in the seats. Still tentative at this point, but an amazing idea considering PSU hockey has a history of playing outside http://thankyouterry.blogspot.com/20...ther-past.html

wesf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesf23 View Post
D1 play begins fall of 2012.... several recruits are coming this fall, but we'd get smoked by Princeton. The Icers are a solid ACHA club level team right now so Neumann makes sense. Neumann also being in the Philly area means people in the seats. Still tentative at this point, but an amazing idea considering PSU hockey has a history of playing outside http://thankyouterry.blogspot.com/20...ther-past.html
Could have sworn I saw an article saying they were making the jump this year. I stand corrected. My mistake.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:51 PM
JVR21
G

Booooooring

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Wooo! Go PSU!

Our team really isn't that good right now because our team was just added to D1, but I think it's going to be a legit hockey school within a decade.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1060
There will be a dramatic shift of conferences in the next few seasons some of which was implemented today:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...officially.php

Quote:
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — College hockey's seventh conference — dubbed the National Collegiate Hockey Conference — was officially born Wednesday in a Colorado Springs conference room. It will begin play in 2013-14, the same year the Big Ten begins.

As previously reported throughout the past week, the league will consist initially of five breakaway WCHA programs — Denver, Colorado College, North Dakota, Minnesota-Duluth and Nebraska-Omaha — plus Miami, which will leave the CCHA. The league could still grow; it was acknowledged that Notre Dame has been given an invitation and is mulling it over. Others could join down the road.

The name of the conference includes the word "National" for a reason, conference officials state ...

It doesn't have a commissioner, a logo or a television deal, and it still needs to be officially incorporated. But the NCHC does have a Twitter feed and Facebook page, and what had been dubbed the "Super League" by some, now has a real name, too.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
Wooo! Go PSU!

Our team really isn't that good right now because our team was just added to D1, but I think it's going to be a legit hockey school within a decade.
We aren't in D1 til 2012. But I am excited about the move.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:23 AM
SilkyMitts

this is so dumb that an NCAA D1 program isnt playing.
but.
Neumann wins it.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:27 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Why isn't Penn State's hockey team called the Nittany Lions?

Icers? Kinda dumb if ya axe me.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:08 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post

Because it's still a club team. Once they officially part of the school's NCAA athletics program, they'll have that name.

Also important is that this serves as "official" announcement of the Winter Classic being held at CBP, which has yet to be announced by the league even though everyone knows it.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1060
http://dailylocal.com/articles/2011/...d983851955.prt

Quote:
Although the deal is described by Neumann University men’s hockey coach Dominick Dawes as being “in the very preliminary stages and definitely not a slam dunk,” there is a plan in place that would see Neumann, that once small Catholic school in Aston which is growing its programs at hyperspeed, host Penn State in a Jan. 4 ballpark non-brawl.

According to Dawes, who as a fresh Neumann face blended some holdovers and carefully chosen Canadian imports into Division III national champions in 2009, the idea is a thrilling one for his team. Even though, he again reiterated, “nothing’s set in stone.”

Then again...

“We’re looking at it as a big opportunity,” Dawes said Wednesday, “just to get Neumann in the newspapers.”

The news actually spread Wednesday after somebody at Penn State released it via Twitter and on its men’s college hockey site.

It hit a few blogs, including a well-known national college hockey blog, then apparently was taken down last night when somebody might have yelled the deal wasn’t done.

Should be soon, though.

Penn State, of course, is hot on hockey these days. Happy Valley has long had one of the country’s best collegiate club programs, and via an $88 million grant from new Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula, a brand new arena has been financed there with the fringe benefits of two soon-to-be NCAA programs being crowned.

The men have one more club season before getting Division I status, and will be part of a Big Ten Conference hockey group that begins in 2013.

First, though, they have to play a national championship level program ... you know, from that little school in Aston.

Dawes said the original agreement was for Penn State to play the Knights Nov. 4, but that changed with the developments of the Winter Classic, which at last word was still being bartered by the money people representing the Phillies and the NHL.

Presuming the league finally reaches an agreeable leasing deal for CBP, the Flyers and Rangers would meet Jan. 2, then other community youth activities are scheduled to be held and the game between Neumann and Penn State would follow on the 4th.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:56 PM
youthoftoday

I was shocked to recently find out that little Neumann college was a hockey powerhouse. I know its D3, but its pretty cool for a place that seems to be mainly known for their nursing program.
Honestly, I can't see their being much interest in this game. They would probably get just as much attendance throwing out some of the high level high school teams in the area.

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:37 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
Honestly, I can't see their being much interest in this game. They would probably get just as much attendance throwing out some of the high level high school teams in the area.
Easy tickets to an outdoor hockey game? I'm in.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:41 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

lol thats funny and fumb

i knew some girls from here that went to Neuwmann

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:27 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
A PSU Vs Rutgers game would have been preferable.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-15-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Fixed posts aren't allowed under site rules
DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:09 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
A PSU Vs Rutgers game would have been preferable.
Rutgers doesn't have an NCAA program like Princeton/Neumann. Then again, Penn St. technically doesn't yet either, but it might actually be easier to schedule an extra exhibition game at this point. If Princeton was involved, it might actually sell out since they have a semblance of fanbase with a D1-NCAA program.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-15-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Quoted an edited post
Old
07-15-2011, 01:24 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
I was shocked to recently find out that little Neumann college was a hockey powerhouse. I know its D3, but its pretty cool for a place that seems to be mainly known for their nursing program.
nuemann has had a solid team for a while.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:59 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

cool. now when the **** are they going to announce the winter classic?

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:05 PM
phillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Rutgers doesn't have an NCAA program like Princeton/Neumann. Then again, Penn St. technically doesn't yet either, but it might actually be easier to schedule an extra exhibition game at this point. If Princeton was involved, it might actually sell out since they have a semblance of fanbase with a D1-NCAA program.
It's going to sell out regardless. Penn State alums always fill the house. It's like a cult.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Icersman

Send a message via Yahoo to Icersman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post

Actually, the team is officially named the Nittany Lion Icers.

Icersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:21 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflu View Post
It's going to sell out regardless. Penn State alums always fill the house. It's like a cult.
A Penn St. club ice hockey team is going to fill 70,000 seats at the Linc? Hmm, I don't know. It'll sell well, but they'll need to promote the heck out of it to come close to selling out.

Old
07-17-2011, 08:27 PM
clap bomb 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
A Penn St. club ice hockey team is going to fill 70,000 seats at the Linc? Hmm, I don't know. It'll sell well, but they'll need to promote the heck out of it to come close to selling out.
The game would be at citizens bank park. A penn state vs princeton game would sell out easy. Im pretty sure the plan was to have Penn State play Princeton in this game. I heard this from someone within the organization about a month ago. I guess something happened to where that fell through.

Last edited by clap bomb 16: 07-18-2011 at 03:25 AM.
clap bomb 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:13 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Neumann won the D3 title a few years ago, and play out of my local rink. I'd be willing to bet they'll beat Penn State.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote