HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs-Canucks

Old
11-09-2011, 08:42 AM
crewbert

vCash: 500
Leafs-Canucks

How's this sound from both sides? As a leafs fan, and as much as I'd hate to give up a #1 pick:

To Leafs: Cory Schneider

To Canucks: Ben Scrivens + 1st Round pick

crewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:45 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewbert View Post
How's this sound from both sides? As a leafs fan, and as much as I'd hate to give up a #1 pick:

ummm no!!!prepare to get flamed

Last edited by IBLEAF: 11-09-2011 at 08:59 AM.
IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
no thanks

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:48 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:

goalies don't have enough value where they warrant a 1st round pick

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:48 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:

Ha. Not wasting a #1 on a backup. Leafs can get much more.

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

It isn't AWFUL, but keep in mind we were offered the 11th overall in last years draft from Colorado and we turned it down. Therefore, I doubt we pull the trigger on this deal. We also wouldn't need a goalie coming back, we have Lack waiting in the A and our prospect pool for goalies is pretty deep in general.

No idea why Toronto does this anyways, I'm pretty sure you'd be in the minority of Leaf fans that had interested in acquiring another goalie.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
Ha. Not wasting a #1 on a backup. Leafs can get much more.
Then how come premiere goalies like Jack Campbell are still taken in the 1st round? Or a team like Colorado offered their 11th overall to both Vancouver and LA for their young goalie? Or how come they ultimately settled for Washington's young goalie where they sent a 1st and a 2nd back? Heck, Bryzgalov's rights were traded for a 3rd rounder, that was the value of being able to TALK to him a few days early.

Despite what HFBoards believes, there does appear to be a considerable market for goalies. That market was likely heightened when 2 of the 3 Vezna candidates made it to the SCF last year and one of em won the Conn Smythe.

Goalie prospects are unpredictable at the Junior level, it's hard to tell how they will adapt to the NHL. This is why many teams don't want to waste a 1st rounder on em. But if they have a chance to acquire a young goalie who they already know WILL succeed in the NHL, the price seems to be above a 1st rounder. The goalie is the most important position in hockey, many GMs and coaches feel that way and build their team from the net out. Schneider is worth more than a 1st, although I see no reason fro Toronto to make such a deal when they have a few young goalies.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:07 AM
crewbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
No idea why Toronto does this anyways, I'm pretty sure you'd be in the minority of Leaf fans that had interested in acquiring another goalie.
Seriously? A goalie should be the Leafs top priority. Gustavsson is garbage. Scrivens is not developed enough to fill the role. Reimer has had serious concussion problems in the past, and seems to have them again now. The Leafs are in a terrible position between the pipes.

As for giving up a first round pick, Schneider was a first round pick, 26th overall. And he's developed quite well. Better than the majority of 1st round picks actually. I'm sure if theoretically, Schneider did go back into the draft, he'd go higher than 26th.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Both teams say no. Leafs do not need Schneider, and Canucks won't trade him for futures.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
crewbert

Quote:
Then how come premiere goalies like Jack Campbell are still taken in the 1st round? Or a team like Colorado offered their 11th overall to both Vancouver and LA for their young goalie? Or how come they ultimately settled for Washington's young goalie where they sent a 1st and a 2nd back? Heck, Bryzgalov's rights were traded for a 3rd rounder, that was the value of being able to TALK to him a few days early.

Despite what HFBoards believes, there does appear to be a considerable market for goalies. That market was likely heightened when 2 of the 3 Vezna candidates made it to the SCF last year and one of em won the Conn Smythe.

Goalie prospects are unpredictable at the Junior level, it's hard to tell how they will adapt to the NHL. This is why many teams don't want to waste a 1st rounder on em. But if they have a chance to acquire a young goalie who they already know WILL succeed in the NHL, the price seems to be above a 1st rounder. The goalie is the most important position in hockey, many GMs and coaches feel that way and build their team from the net out. Schneider is worth more than a 1st, although I see no reason fro Toronto to make such a deal when they have a few young goalies.
Exactly, now you're making sense. This is why the Leafs should use the 1st to get a guy like Schneider.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Seriously? A goalie should be the Leafs top priority. Gustavsson is garbage. Scrivens is not developed enough to fill the role. Reimer has had serious concussion problems in the past, and seems to have them again now. The Leafs are in a terrible position between the pipes.

As for giving up a first round pick, Schneider was a first round pick, 26th overall. And he's developed quite well. Better than the majority of 1st round picks actually. I'm sure if theoretically, Schneider did go back into the draft, he'd go higher than 26th.
Don't get me wrong, I think Schneider is worth more than a 1st rounder, it's nice to see a Leaf fan admit that too. Most mid 1st rounders never become NHL players, if you can trade one for a guy who will be your starting goalie for the next 10 years you do it.

The reason I made that statement is because of Reimer, I was unaware he had these issues. Do you think they'll be on going?

To the proposal, Canucks fans would turn that down... We'd need something that helped us win now in the mold of a top 6 RW or a good #5 RH shot dman.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:16 AM
crewbert

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think Schneider is worth more than a 1st rounder, it's nice to see a Leaf fan admit that too. Most mid 1st rounders never become NHL players, if you can trade one for a guy who will be your starting goalie for the next 10 years you do it.

The reason I made that statement is because of Reimer, I was unaware he had these issues. Do you think they'll be on going?

To the proposal, Canucks fans would turn that down... We'd need something that helped us win now in the mold of a top 6 RW or a good #5 RH shot dman.
True, and the Leafs could possibly help address that for you, because they do have depth with their skaters. However, the Canucks' salary cap position kind of puts the kibosh on that.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:28 AM
VanJaysFan*

Canucks fan here.

Would do the deal for the 1st and the lesser of Rynnas/Scrivens.

I go against Gillis and most Canuck fans and want to specifically trade Cory for picks in this draft so we can stock the d-prospect cupboard.

To the people saying the Leafs don't need a goalie? Reimer isn't the second coming of Dryden, go with a good tandem, IMHO the best choice for a young team growing together.

VanJaysFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:29 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
True, and the Leafs could possibly help address that for you, because they do have depth with their skaters. However, the Canucks' salary cap position kind of puts the kibosh on that.
Gillis would go for Kulemin or bust. Nothing else works for us.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:33 AM
crewbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
Canucks fan here.

Would do the deal for the 1st and the lesser of Rynnas/Scrivens.

I go against Gillis and most Canuck fans and want to specifically trade Cory for picks in this draft so we can stock the d-prospect cupboard.

To the people saying the Leafs don't need a goalie? Reimer isn't the second coming of Dryden, go with a good tandem, IMHO the best choice for a young team growing together.
Agreed! If only we were the GM's. And for bobbyflex who said "goalies don't have enough value where they warrant a 1st round pick", are you crazy? the goalie is the most important position on the team! the leafs have been a completely different team without reimer in the net, the only game they looked good without reimer was against the lowly blue jackets.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:33 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:

A #5 dman over a 1st round pick? Those are available for 3rds at the deadline.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:35 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
You'd give up on Reimer for the Canucks first then?

Old
11-09-2011, 09:36 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Agreed! If only we were the GM's. And for bobbyflex who said "goalies don't have enough value where they warrant a 1st round pick", are you crazy? the goalie is the most important position on the team! the leafs have been a completely different team without reimer in the net, the only game they looked good without reimer was against the lowly blue jackets.
never argued that goalies aren't the most important position. We're talking about the market for goaltenders and their subsequent trade value

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:40 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
never argued that goalies aren't the most important position. We're talking about the market for goaltenders and their subsequent trade value
It's a myth.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:43 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Kulemin
Lombardi
Scrivens

For

Booth
Schneider

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:50 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Kulemin
Lombardi
Scrivens

For

Booth
Schneider
Cap doesn't work now or next year.

Lombardi is negative value to Van.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:50 AM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

I don't think a 1st is the right asset, but it's decent value for Schneider. I don't even fully trust reimer yet, so I think actually having a solid tandem would do us wonders. Maybe nucks move their 1st+ours for another top 6 winger? then it would make sense for them then. If we really wanna know if the leafs are the next goalie graveyard after philly is if both Schneider and Reimer implode here.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
TOGuy14

Both teams say no.

Toronto won't give up a 1st Rd Pick for a pending RFA and the rights to start a goalie controversy when Reimer comes back.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:11 AM
khennig16*
Bikini Inspector

Definitley would love to have Schneider on the leafs, though I don't know if I would be comfortable parting with our first round pick. Seems like reality is inches away from smacking us in the face, and we could be drafting anywhere between 5-20.
What does vancouver need? Defense?
id Do Aulie + Franson + Caputi or Aulie + 2nd + Caputi for Schneider.
Guessing that package doesn't look very enticing to Canuck fans though.

A Reimer + Schneider tandem would be solid for us.

Last edited by khennig16*: 11-09-2011 at 10:25 AM.
khennig16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:53 AM
oilerbear

Quote:

Top 5 Save % goalies Minimum 15 Games:
1. Thomas .938
2. Rinne .930
3. Schneider .929
4. luongo .928
5. Varlamov .924
5. Hiller .924

People talk about not giving up your First?
Top 3 last year and a career .925 SV% in the NHL.

A .917 save% starter does not get you in the playoffs. Unless you have tons of scoring.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote