HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

RE: doug maclean's comments on Kadri

Old
11-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECanuck View Post
Offensive blue line it will happen. For a player that tries move it happens to the veterans. BOO HOO

We can go back to the Florida game and pick our veterans apart like that.
you could go back to the florida game and find LOTS of bad things.

i dont really give a **** either way, kadri could be good, or he could be one of those players that cant make the jump to the nhl. i kind of wish we went for MSP or someone else who seemed to easily find their way onto nhl rosters.

hindsight is a terrible thing.

kadris got talent, no doubt. if he can put it together upstairs he'll be good. until then we wait, and eat ourselves on this forum.

Last edited by Ratboy: 11-09-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: fun
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
ECanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Pick a good game and there is 100% certainty that one of the forwards will try a move and lose the puck in the offensive zone. There might be a miracle where this doesn't happen in a game.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECanuck View Post
Pick a good game and there is 100% certainty that one of the forwards will try a move and lose the puck in the offensive zone. There might be a miracle where this doesn't happen in a game.
wilson must hate kadri then. its the only logical answer.

Old
11-09-2011, 10:31 PM
ECanuck

Well I give a ****. I've been watching this team for decades rely on old washed up players. So yeah, I do give a **** or I wouldn't watch this team.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

good, give a ****, but its out of our hands. its up to kadri. right now im way more concerned with goaltending than him. which is also, admittedly, out of our hands, but its more of a pressing need.

burke took a long time with getzlaf (i think) and ryan (for sure). maybe we're just too impatient.

we are one bi polar fan base! woooooooo!

or maybe burke and wilson arent treating his development properly. or maybe i should stop editing. or maybe my foot is asleep.

Old
11-09-2011, 10:39 PM
NewFang

Kadri has been given numerous chances, and he has not shown anything to earn a permanent roster spot in the NHL. Not to mention being outplayed in the AHL by guys like Colborne, Frattin, and Crabb.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:41 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsDiary View Post
I have heard a couple things from someone close to the Leafs:
1) Kadri's attitude at the start of the season irked some of the veterans in the room
2) His attitude last year in the AHL was not very good
3) When he gave the finger to the camera during McCarthur's interview it disappointed management because they don't think he has matured yet.

Take that for what you will, but I don't think Kadri has necessarily earned a spot on the club yet. Not the club keeping him out.
come on, that was probably a locker room dare or something. Guys having fun with the rookie.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
cps230

QUOTE=Ratboy;39213383]good, give a ****, but its out of our hands. its up to kadri. right now im way more concerned with goaltending than him. which is also, admittedly, out of our hands, but its more of a pressing need.

burke took a long time with getzlaf (i think) and ryan (for sure). maybe we're just too impatient.

or maybe burke and wilson arent treating his development properly. or maybe i should stop editing. or maybe my foot is asleep.[/QUOTE]

Getzlaf only played 17 games in the ahl, perry 19, ryan was the only player to spend a full season in the ahl.

Edit: combined ryan played almost a full seasons worth.

cps230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:43 PM
BabyBurke*

The problem with Kadri, is that he doesn't have enough skill to replace someone in the top 6, and doesn't have enough speed or strength to play in the bottom 6. He's essentially in no man's land.

BabyBurke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Kadri has been given numerous chances, and he has not shown anything to earn a permanent roster spot in the NHL. Not to mention being outplayed in the AHL by guys like Colborne, Frattin, and Crabb.
Crabb and Colborne are outplaying everyone in the AHL. Are all other AHL prospects(not that Crabb is
one) garbage now?

Frattin hasn't outplayed Kadri, he's just a better fit for a 3rd line spot, seeing as he's more likely to end up being there.

Old
11-09-2011, 10:51 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
doesn't anyone see his demotion to the wing as a sign that he's not cut out for this?
How is getting moved to the wing a demotion? In what universe does that even remotely make sense?

FYI, Kessel was as you would say "demoted" to wing and he's seems to be doing alright.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:55 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
How is getting moved to the wing a demotion? In what universe does that even remotely make sense?

FYI, Kessel was as you would say "demoted" to wing and he's seems to be doing alright.
in a universe where you look for anything to attack a player you don't like

Old
11-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Captain Clutch 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCare View Post
The problem with Kadri, is that he doesn't have enough skill to replace someone in the top 6, and doesn't have enough speed or strength to play in the bottom 6. He's essentially in no man's land.
This is an accurate assessment. It's easy to get impatient watching Skinner, Seguin, and Hall tear it up at 18/19 years old while we wait for 21 year old Kadri to make the NHL but we have to be patient. Theres a long list of phenomonal players that came into the league late and only blossomed at 25 plus.

Besides Kadri is one hot streak away from shutting up everyone in this thread so may as well stop talking about it.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:01 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post

i dont really give a **** either way, kadri could be good, or he could be one of those players that cant make the jump to the nhl. i kind of wish we went for MSP or someone else who seemed to easily find their way onto nhl rosters.

hindsight is a terrible thing.

kadris got talent, no doubt. if he can put it together upstairs he'll be good. until then we wait, and eat ourselves on this forum.
It's easy to make a roster that has no intention on doing anything but bottoming out, and also the Oilers aren't exaxtly a team over-flowing with players that could keep him back. Terrible example!

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps230 View Post
QUOTE=Ratboy;39213383]good, give a ****, but its out of our hands. its up to kadri. right now im way more concerned with goaltending than him. which is also, admittedly, out of our hands, but its more of a pressing need.

or maybe burke and wilson arent treating his development properly. or maybe i should stop editing. or maybe my foot is asleep.
Getzlaf only played 17 games in the ahl, perry 19, ryan was the only player to spend a full season in the ahl.

Edit: combined ryan played almost a full seasons worth.[/QUOTE]

damnit, i was wrong!

looks like kadri just isnt as good as those guys.

Old
11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
It's easy to make a roster that has no intention on doing anything but bottoming out, and also the Oilers aren't exaxtly a team over-flowing with players that could keep him back. Terrible example!
and they ****ing suck now!

Old
11-09-2011, 11:16 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps230 View Post
Getzlaf only played 17 games in the ahl, perry 19,

Correct me if wrong though, they both also spent the 1st 2 years after their draft in junior.

They got drafted in 2003, played 2003-2004 in London and Calgary, and 2004-2005 was the lockout year. So they again played in London and Calgary.

So at the point Kadri has played 17 or 19 games this year, he'll be on pace with those guys in terms of draft year.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCare View Post
He has the skill, Wilson just doesn't want him to replace any of the other top-six.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:32 PM
TMLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
He's wouldn't be helping is my point. At least guys like Armstrong can take a hit to chip a puck out for a line change once in a while, Kadri tries to deke the defenceman at the point and coughs it up. Of course he probably does it so he can take a longer shift I guess.
No he doesn't. In preseason, he was pretty effective at chipping pucks out along the boards, while facing the boards because of his good hands. Maybe you haven't watched him since his 3rd year of junior. People playing in his place aren't exiting the zone very well themselves, and are not contributing offensively. At least Kadri draws penalties.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:40 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

This obsession with Kadri is hilarious. It's like Burke and Wilson are screwing over the second coming of Gretzky. He's a little guy who's pretty weak on the puck in an organization that really values size and strength. Unless he's scoring big-time, he will never fit in here. I was shocked when Burke drafted him. Seemed like he did that just to spite Ottawa.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Mermer

Kadri is talented no doubt and I do believe he has the skillset to be a consistent top 6 forward in this league, just not with the Leafs.

I have no problem with him playing in the AHL right now but the only way he can get better and learn how to minimize his mistakes is at the NHL level. And there's not exactly room for him on the Leafs roster.

I've always believed that Kadri would become one of those players that will get traded and play extremely well on thier new team. I want to be wrong but there's too much competition and not enough spots.

Mermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
This obsession with Kadri is hilarious. It's like Burke and Wilson are screwing over the second coming of Gretzky. He's a little guy who's pretty weak on the puck in an organization that really values size and strength. Unless he's scoring big-time, he will never fit in here. I was shocked when Burke drafted him. Seemed like he did that just to spite Ottawa.
YEAH! not sure about the spiting ottawa part, but maybe!

Old
11-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Tak7

Nazem Kadri is Nazem Kadri.

He's not Jeff Skinner, or Taylor Hall. He's Nazem Kadri.

He's his own prospect. The ability or rate of improvement that other prospects around the league show, has nothing to do with Kadri. There is no connection between the 2.

Prospects develop at different rates - the fact that Kadri hasn't made the NHL as a permanent star should not, in anyway, be held against him. Who cares if he's 21? He's got so many good years ahead of him.

If I was in charge, I'd make room for him on the roster somewhere on that 3rd line, but I'm not. I'm also completely satisfied with the team taking a patient approach with some of their prospects. As someone on his board said before the season started, no player has suffered from spending too much time in the AHL.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:23 AM
BabyBurke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
He has the skill, Wilson just doesn't want him to replace any of the other top-six.
I wonder why.. oh right it's because he isn't good enough.

He's only noticeable when he plays a "high risk, high reward" style. Unfortunately, often times that doesn't work in the NHL or you'll be sitting on the bench or demoted to the AHL.

BabyBurke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:14 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
When the Red Wings send down a good prospect, it's "oh they're a great franchise and know how to develop their prospects! That's the right move!"

When the Leafs send down a prospect, it's a conspiracy.
You do know that there is a reason why people give the benefit of doubt to the Red Wings management and why people are immediately suspicious of the Leafs management, right?

Do you really want to start talking about how many great players the Red Wings have developed over the last twenty years?

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote