HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RE: doug maclean's comments on Kadri

Old
11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Brayden Schenn #5 pick, has not made an impact yet either. Give it time. This is why I hate all of you and Leaf organization, you people have no patience. I guess missing the playoffs for 6 straight seasons have turned you into brain dead zombies and jerks.
Is "brain dead zombie" redundant?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:35 PM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsDiary View Post
So your conjecture on decisions offers more credibility than someone merely stating insights from friends of theirs whom happen to have worked for the Knights when Kadri was there and another currently works for the Leafs?

Got it. Block button it is.
Still haven't named these phantom "sources" of yours. You stated that Kadri giving the middle finger was seen as immature yet when I watch the video it looks like he's scratching his forehead and did it by accident. I do not see any basis with which one can conclude he did it on purpose. I also pointed out that Kadri always seems very humble when he speaks suggesting to me that he wouldn't do that kind of thing on purpose. Show me something in the video that suggests he did it on purpose rather than just saying "a friend of a friend who works with a guy said this". I can claim to know someone in the Leafs organization just as easily as you can. Way to tackle my other points though. But okay, block someone who challenges you.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:41 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Kadri is precisely the type of talent, if traded by Burke that will come back to haunt us. Have no doubts about it. I can picture him with a Habs uniform giving Wilson fits if he ever became a hated Hab.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
You can only learn to play like Brad Marchand if you're given sufficient NHL time. 3 games is not enough. If you ask me Frattin is the one who needs the AHL time more.
kadri will get his chance when he proves he's ready. frattin is strong on the puck, creates chances with his strength and speed, even drawing penalties along the way. he's better along the boards and hits more than kadri. until kadri can do all those things better than frattin, he's not a better option for the third line.

kadri isn't even doing those things at the AHL level, why should he get a chance to do it the NHL? if they're going to call him up to replace connolly or somone on the grabo line, great. that's where his skillset can actually shine playing with other skilled players trying to generate offence. but having him on the third line turning over the puck making high risk plays trying to set up the likes of bozak and crabb is just plain ********. how is that going to build his confidence?

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM
goguls

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceee View Post
I have a feeling that Ron Wilson truly dislikes Kadri...
If you look at Rons twitter, you'll notice he follows EVERYONE from top to bottom in the organization, all prospects, except for Nazem Kadri. I aint got no clue what it is but he hates the kid!
Lol can anyone confirm this? It'd definitely be interesting if it were true.

goguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguls View Post
Lol can anyone confirm this? It'd definitely be interesting if it were true.
Its true. I just checked...

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:57 PM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
kadri will get his chance when he proves he's ready. frattin is strong on the puck, creates chances with his strength and speed, even drawing penalties along the way. he's better along the boards and hits more than kadri. until kadri can do all those things better than frattin, he's not a better option for the third line.

kadri isn't even doing those things at the AHL level, why should he get a chance to do it the NHL? if they're going to call him up to replace connolly or somone on the grabo line, great. that's where his skillset can actually shine playing with other skilled players trying to generate offence. but having him on the third line turning over the puck making high risk plays trying to set up the likes of bozak and crabb is just plain ********. how is that going to build his confidence?
And Kadri creates chances with his speed, has better hockey sense in the offensive zone(ie. generally knows where he needs to be, Frattin needs to learn to let the play come to him). Kadri has 6 hits in 3 games while Frattin has 16 in 12. Kadri has a better +/- in less games. Frattin also wastes prime opportunities by missing the net. When Connolly is healthy, Kadri would have Bozak and Lombardi as linemates. Both have decent offensive flair and are responsible defensively. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, but I think Kadri deserves a shot just as much as Frattin does.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:03 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsDiary View Post
Watch the video. It's blatant and obvious.

Also consider this, he was benched for the next game and sent down days later.
Give me a break guy. Honestly.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:04 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
Its true. I just checked...
That would just be silly. Really?

It could perhaps not mean anything but it do seem weird if he leaves out our top prospect but include every one else.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:05 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I've said this before, but right now Kadri has no place in the lineup.

You can't take him out in favor of moving back Kessel, Lupul(who have been great together) or splitting up the Kulemin/Grabovski/MacA trio, who are starting to get their act together.

You could *maybe* try him as a 3rd liner. But 3rd liners are traditionally supposed to, as Burke says, be your 'Plumbers.'

Kadri is not a plumber, he is a goal scorer. But he's a 'me' goal scorer. This has plagued him since his Junior days that he tries to do too much with the puck rather than properly utilize and find his teammates.That means he's supposed to be a top 6 player.

That's why Frattin and Crabb have been on the team before Kadri.

Kadri's opportunity to solidify himself was last season. He had a very good shot at just earning a roster spot, and he did nothing. Steeger worked his way onto the 3rd line, and Kadri got several looks with Kessel, even with Grabovski, and also again on the bottom 6, and he didn't do enough to warrant being kept around.

In training camp he also didn't seem to find his Mick Jagger either. At least not enough.

I feared last season, that Kadri was going to be a bust. So far with his AHL performances(which he doesn't seem to be taking too seriously at the moment)he seems like he's lost his edge an motivation.

Bobby Ryan took 4 seasons to get his minor-pro game going before he hit the show. Kadri is entering his 3rd season as a pro, but from the looks of it, his development has plateau'd.

I think he could be a top 6 player someday, just not with the Leafs. I think he's trade bait.

Jiri Tlusty, v2.0. A prospect with hope, who seems destined to be a bust,

Some truth in this post is that the roster is full right now which is on purpose to buy some development time for it's high end prospects and move a couple of guys come trade deadline in favor of these young guys just like they did with Beauchemin, there was suppose to be 1 spot open for Kadri or Frattin but that spot was ruined once Lombardi came back way before it was expected. Kadri is on the farm not because he's not ready for the NHL but because he's not ready to be the absolutely best player he could be and they now have the depth to be patient with him and use the waver exemption that young players on ETC have to be developed in the AHL with NHL call ups for NHL experience.

The bold clearly tells me that you have not been watching Kadri or suffer from tunnel vision. Kadri isn't a goal scorer he's a playmaker and a high end one at that but he's still not strong enough in his core, legs to maintain balance on his skates to hold on to the puck the way playmakers do dangle and make plays that high end playmakers do. That's why we see flashes of brilliance and not a force on the ice like in jr he'll dangle make D men look silly but lose his balance or get knocked down before he could finish off the play and make a play with the puck that in a nutshell is why Frattin is up and he's down in the AHL and why MacArthur is still a Leaf.

This is Kadri 2nd year on his ETC not his 3rd your wrong with that, he was sent back to jr because they knew he wasn't close to being physically ready to be the player he could be STILL ISN'T and didn't want to burn a year on his contract to have him be a 30-40 point player when they see him as a 80+ point player when physically ready.

The very fact that you brought up Bobby Ryan is proof of what's going on not just with Kadri but Colborne, Frattin and Blacker if this was Edmonton all 4 of these guys would be with the Leafs right now in a sink or swim situation but this isn't Edmonton Burke uses the life jacket called waver exemption in the ETC to develop players down in the AHL until it's clear like Gardiner that the life jacket isn't necessary.

So much over blown analysis and speculation is just typical in due time the picture will be clear with one of 2 things occur Mac, Lombardi maybe even Bozak, Liles and Connoly will be moved in favor of these kids or 1 or more of these kids will be traded for an elite player that has 5+ years of elite hockey in them. Take your pick because one of these 2 options is what will occur any course taken the Leafs will end up a better team but patience is required which is something Burke is right about Leaf Nation doesn't have any of it.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
And Kadri creates chances with his speed, has better hockey sense in the offensive zone(ie. generally knows where he needs to be, Frattin needs to learn to let the play come to him). Kadri has 6 hits in 3 games while Frattin has 16 in 12. Kadri has a better +/- in less games. Frattin also wastes prime opportunities by missing the net. When Connolly is healthy, Kadri would have Bozak and Lombardi as linemates. Both have decent offensive flair and are responsible defensively. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, but I think Kadri deserves a shot just as much as Frattin does.
look, i get what you're trying to say but try watching the game and developing your opinion beyond statistics, especially when those statistics stem from such a small sample size.

every game i've seen kadri in he gets knocked of the puck and has some pretty bad turnovers. that's okay if he's playing with other skilled players but it's not acceptable on the third line. the third line should be forechecking and cycling the puck wearing down the other teams D. not making high risk plays leading to odd man rushes.

that's great that you like kadri and think he deserves the call just as much as frattin, but unfortunately there's only room for one. until kadri can develop a better grinding and cycling game, he's not suited to play on our third line over frattin. it's not up for debate so don't waste your time trying to tell my otherwise.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
What legitimises your insight?? In the video, it's clear that he was scratching his forehead. Claiming that he did it on purpose is mere speculation. If your source is close to the Leafs, then name him. Otherwise, your post has 0 credibility. Kinda like Eklund.

And what attitude? Every time I see him in interviews he's always humble. Dale Hunter said he always did what was asked of him.

They had no problem playing him on the third line last year with Crabb and Brent. Lombardi and Crabb/Armstrong/Steckel/Bozak/whomever they put on the 3rd line are good enough offensively and defensively to allow Kadri to be offensive AND learn the defensive side of the game. Not only that, but since Kulemin is having a hard time right now, it wouldn't hurt to at least try another combination for the 2nd line and include Kadri.
QFT.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
look, i get what you're trying to say but try watching the game and developing your opinion beyond statistics, especially when those statistics stem from such a small sample size.

every game i've seen kadri in he gets knocked of the puck and has some pretty bad turnovers. that's okay if he's playing with other skilled players but it's not acceptable on the third line. the third line should be forechecking and cycling the puck wearing down the other teams D. not making high risk plays leading to odd man rushes.
that's great that you like kadri and think he deserves the call just as much as frattin, but unfortunately there's only room for one. until kadri can develop a better grinding and cycling game, he's not suited to play on our third line over frattin. it's not up for debate so don't waste your time trying to tell my otherwise.
If that's the reason then explain what Lombardi is doing on that line because he's guilty of these things.

Old
11-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post
Also heard and add to the list that his dad, Sam, is a pain in the rearend hockey dad who goes to management directly to sell/support/champion his son's cause. May work in junior (Bonnie Lindros) but only alienates pro GM's (Bobby Clarke)
Do you have a source on this? I can't imagine Burke giving the time of day to an over-zealous father of a player.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:46 PM
ECanuck
Young Gunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
Kadri will get his chance. Burke and Wilson didn't think he was ready. He'll be back.

4 pts in 6 games is a fine start.
He could do better while the wind blew him off his skates last year. He seemed more balanced this year. I think he is really down mentally. I hope Wilson/Burke cut the tough love thing out and baby the guy a bit. He is a baby after all. There is nothing wrong with playing in the AHL. He should take this as an opportunity to learn when to dump the puck, when to make a move ect. I also like how Eakins throws him on the point for the PP sometimes. This is great for him since he can experiment with many things down there.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
TMLeafer
Rebuilding

Doug McLean is not a good source.

The Leafs experimentation with Kadri in the summer of 2010 hurt his game, IMO. They had him follow a plan that made him slow.

His play in the NHL regular or preseason didn't seem that concerning to me. Sure as heck one of the most creative guys on the team in his brief stint in the regular season. Changing leagues and lines every 2 games isn't going to help.

In conclusion: McLean is making something out of nothing, IMO.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Captain Clutch 13

It REALLY sucked that he got injured when he did because Frattin got time on the 2nd line and it would have been real interesting to see what Kadri could do on the 2nd line with Grabo and Kuli.

Frattin and Kadri could both use AHL time but Frattin doesn't turn the puck over the way Kadri does and we already have Lombardi turning it over non stop anyways. Kadri just has to buckle down and put up points in the A until he gets his shot.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Willchel Marlynder
(philer bozel)

I think kadris just a little upset because he knows hes the best prospect the leafs have but he keeps getting sent to the minors. Even though he could help our third line drastically.

Willchel Marlynder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:25 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
He was also one of the best forwards we had last season during his second call up too. Sufficient enough?
3G 9A and 12 points in -3 in 29 games is not great. especially when the season was over for the Leafs.

i seem to remember him doing memorable shootout goals on YouTube.

i think at this point all of us can agree that Kadri is not very good.

what we constantly debate is:

a) he's just not very good and will never be an NHLer.
or
b) he's good, but just hasn't been able to get an opportunity.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Willchel Marlynder
(philer bozel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Belfour View Post
Already guys wanting Kadri out? Sheesh, where was he going to play this year? Clearly they want him to be a top 6 guy, so who was he going to start this year over? Lupul, Kessel? LOLNO. Macarthur, Kulemin? No. He certainly wasn't going to unseat Connolly when he's in there or Grabo. Guys like Frattin are being called up to play on the 3rd line because he can play that game. The dump and chase, heavy on the forecheck style of play won't really suit Kadri's game at the NHL level.

Let him have another big year in the AHL, next year hopefully he makes the big squad but in the top 6, where he belongs.
The third line has what 3 goals in 15 games. That's pathetic. If frattin wants to at a dump and grind game and not score fine. But atleast bring up a player who has shown he can score in the NHL.

Old
11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Clutch 13 View Post
It REALLY sucked that he got injured when he did because Frattin got time on the 2nd line and it would have been real interesting to see what Kadri could do on the 2nd line with Grabo and Kuli.

Frattin and Kadri could both use AHL time but Frattin doesn't turn the puck over the way Kadri does and we already have Lombardi turning it over non stop anyways. Kadri just has to buckle down and put up points in the A until he gets his shot.
The problem is Kadri doesn't turn the puck over nearly as much as you and others speak of. He's a playmaker and turnovers come with the territory of players of this ilk the thing is to not do them in the D zone or neutral zone which to the exception of 1 play vs Montreal when he went for a home run pass he hasn't committed any turnovers in the D zone or neutral zone on the flip side both Lombardi and by far the worst on the team right now MacArtur are constantly turning the puck over in the D zone yet nobody on this forum sees them and turn a blind eye to them.

It's really simple the roster is full and until Burke makes roster space there is no room for Kadri to USE HIM IN A ROLE HE WOULD SUCCEED IN RIGHT NOW. This team is weak on the walls and have been exposed once again with Armstrong out at just how bad they are on the walls X2 when they sent Frattin down and with the opportunity with a roster spot open due to Connoly's injury open the door to help this major whole which is Frattin's strength.

People shouldn't be on Kadri at all if you guys are on him for the lack of production in the limited minutes Wilson was using him due to the roster being the way it is, Frattin on the 3rd line with zero PP minutes doesn't give him much of a chance to produce offense either if you guys are to place blame for not getting the instant gratification from these 2 kids throw it at Burke's way both Mac and Lombardi need to go if either of these 2 kids are to get a proper chance to produce the offense they're capable. Ironically the Leafs are a better team if you put these 2 kids in the line up over these 2 both defensively and offensively but we have to be patient until the inevitable happens and both Mac and Lombardi are moved

Old
11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
ECanuck
Young Gunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
3G 9A and 12 points in -3 in 29 games is not great. especially when the season was over for the Leafs.

i seem to remember him doing memorable shootout goals on YouTube.

i think at this point all of us can agree that Kadri is not very good.

what we constantly debate is:

a) he's just not very good and will never be an NHLer.
or
b) he's good, but just hasn't been able to get an opportunity.
2nd stint is 3goals and 3assist in 12 games on the third line. That's pretty darn good.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Willchel Marlynder
(philer bozel)

Kadri is not a plumber, he is a goal scorer. But he's a 'me' goal scorer. This has plagued him since his Junior days that he tries to do too much with the puck rather than properly utilize and find his teammates.That means he's supposed to be a top 6 player.

,[/QUOTE]

Kari is a playmaker who can score credibility -1

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=q_SH_Cc8bYQ > anything frattin has done

Old
11-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Pretty obvious Kadri has fallen out of favour with the organization. Good chance he'll be moved sometime this season.
How, exactly, is it pretty obvious that Kadri has fallen out of favor with the organization?

Am I the only one taking a rationale view with this whole thing and seeing it as nothing more than an organization being patient and nurturing with one of their prospects?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
camdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
i wouldn't blame kadri

if we had seguin he'd be rotting in the minors too
And Chara Lucic and Thomas would be in the AHL.

camdon is offline   Reply With Quote