HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Laakso

Old
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
braindead

vCash: 500
Laakso

I was hoping some playing time would help him settle in but he looks terrible. Much worse than Sulzer looked as the 7th d-man. He is down in Ekholm territory (not knocking Ek, he just needs time and experience I think).

Last night, when he shot the puck over the glass for a penalty and they showed Trotz, coach looked like he had gone to bemused resignation... not angry, just accepting the things he can't change. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think he deems Laakso a lost cause.

Do we see a move to bring someone up or do we just ride it out until KK returns?

Josi is still injured so there goes our best option. Sloan has experience, Ellis has offensive upside but that's not the problem. Any other good options?

Thoughts?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Also he failed to clear the puck twice in our own zone in the same possession which led to more than one scoring chance.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Bartley and Ellis both cant do worse. give one of them a call up

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:00 PM
tserberis*

I'd give Sloan a chance. He is big can clear the crease. Stay at home D.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:07 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I was hoping some playing time would help him settle in but he looks terrible. Much worse than Sulzer looked as the 7th d-man. He is down in Ekholm territory (not knocking Ek, he just needs time and experience I think).

Last night, when he shot the puck over the glass for a penalty and they showed Trotz, coach looked like he had gone to bemused resignation... not angry, just accepting the things he can't change. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think he deems Laakso a lost cause.

Do we see a move to bring someone up or do we just ride it out until KK returns?

Josi is still injured so there goes our best option. Sloan has experience, Ellis has offensive upside but that's not the problem. Any other good options?

Thoughts?
he sucks....

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:12 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
The only thing worse than seeing Laaks on the ice is seeing him and Hillen on the ice at the same time. They are a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by jstreet: 11-09-2011 at 01:18 PM.
jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:21 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Our top 3 defensemen are great and you can't ask for more, after that though, we're below average...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Our top 3 defensemen are great and you can't ask for more, after that though, we're below average...
And the third best defenseman is WHO?

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prederator View Post
And the third best defenseman is WHO?
IMHO Blum, he's just not being paired with the right type of player.

Just like Weber isn't as good without someone carrying the puck, Blum isn't going to be as good without a physical stay-at-home type.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
IMHO Blum, he's just not being paired with the right type of player.

Just like Weber isn't as good without someone carrying the puck, Blum isn't going to be as good without a physical stay-at-home type.
IMO there is no clear cut third best. Klein and Blum are prone to big defensive zone gaffes. They both play young. Bouillon is better defensively but, has not looked very good in the last two games. Hillen has good stats and is pretty consistent, but can't get out of that third pairing, so we don't know how he would look with more minutes. Laakso and Ekholm are not NHL defensemen.

So, after Suter and Weber, it is a toss up as far as I am concerned.

Old
11-09-2011, 03:29 PM
braindead

I can live with the KK/Cube and Blum/Hillen pairings... in fact I think they are better than average and have a chance to be a 2A/2B option for having two second pairings. That is, if they can settle in for 10-15 games together. Laakso has lost his mojo, if he ever had it.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I can live with the KK/Cube and Blum/Hillen pairings... in fact I think they are better than average and have a chance to be a 2A/2B option for having two second pairings. That is, if they can settle in for 10-15 games together. Laakso has lost his mojo, if he ever had it.
Agree. I do feel bad for Laakso however. He was sent down 2 years ago after making the team out of camp after only 7 games and hasn't been up since. I am sure that is in his head every time he jumps over the boards and is evident in his play. No confidence.

Confidence among NHL hockey players is a funny thing. In order to develop it, you have to play like you don't care. But the reality is, you care so much you that you can't get away from that feeling. You have to find some way to break through and forget that feeling.

Old
11-09-2011, 04:47 PM
wadesworld

In Laakso's defense, that was a beautiful pass he made to the Kings' player.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Komarov47

I thought Ekholm played great in september, it's a shmae he was sent donw to sweden, he looked better than Laaksa.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:06 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I thought Ekholm played great in september, it's a shmae he was sent donw to sweden, he looked better than Laaksa.
It's a shame that Sweden made him go back. Next year they won't have that option though.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
In retrospect I wish their positions were switched. Laakso has been underwhelming where as Ekholm, albeit in a small sample size, was dynamic. Lets be thankful Hillen and Cube have played their part and have filled in the gaps.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:33 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Did anyone else notice that on the tv broadcast tuesday they had laakso listed on IR? Was that a mistake?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Did anyone else notice that on the tv broadcast tuesday they had laakso listed on IR? Was that a mistake?
No, he was placed on IR retroactively after having a cyst removed from his back. He is expected to be available again this weekend, but has been out several days.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:14 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, he was placed on IR retroactively after having a cyst removed from his back. He is expected to be available again this weekend, but has been out several days.
cool... maybe the cyst was his evil conjoined twin that was making him play so much worse in the regular season than he did in preseason...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:49 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That's when you know you're having a tough start to the season. When you go on the IR, and even the diehards don't realize/know it.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote