HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Youth Sled Hockey

Old
08-06-2011, 03:53 PM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Nashville Youth Sled Hockey

The Nashville Predators Foundation has committed to launch a youth sled hockey team, The Nashville Sled Preds. Here's a link to USA Hockey http://www.usahockey.com//Template_U...05_06&ID=17202 if you want to know more about the sport.

The team is open for any disabled youth 20 years old or younger. Spinal cord injuries, amputees, CP, Spina Bifida, hell - bad knees, will qualify folks to play hockey in a sled. And of course volunteers are always welcome.

We are kicking off the season with a Sled Hockey Clinic on Saturday, August 27th from 1:30-3:30 at Centennial SportsPlex. Equipment, including sleds, sticks, pads, helmets, and jerseys will be provided free of charge.

We are also planning an informal "Open Skate" Sunday, August 21st, 2-4 pm at A-Game Sports in Cool Springs. The "Open Skate" is an opportunity to work one-on-one in a sled, on-ice with Jeff Loyd, our coach. Because everyone is a different size and shape, this session will allow us to adjust the sleds to fit the particular player in advance of the clinic. As with the clinic, equipment will be provided for the "Open Skate". Please be sure to notify me in advance if you know someone who plans to attend the "Open Skate".

If you have friends, family members, neighbors that may be interested, please pass along this information. And there is always one or two kids in every school with a disability that would love to play a team sport. Ask your kids. I'll bet they have classmates who are potential players.

And finally, let's not forget that programs like sled hockey are indicators that the sport has taken root here in Smashville. Help us spread the word.

Troy Weise, Director
Nashville Sled Preds
troyhweise@live.com
770-561-0038

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:05 PM
AEM6729

This is great. Forwarding this on to a few people who might be interested.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Thanks for spreading the word. The Predators have given the team an "Awareness Night" on October 25th when the Sharks come to town. We'll take donations of used hockey gear at the doors of the Bridge that night.

I'll post more about our "Awareness Night" the closer we get to the game.

Old
08-17-2011, 11:50 AM
WartracePred

Change of time for first meeting

A-Game SportsPlex has generously offered an entire sheet of ice for the Sled Preds first time on ice this Sunday. However, the time has been moved. We'll start at noon and have an hour to ourselves.

Old
08-28-2011, 12:27 AM
WartracePred

Fantastic turnout for the Sled Preds Clinic at Centennial SportsPlex today!! We put 18 kids in sleds this afternoon and spent an 2 hours on ice.

We had a ton of local volunteers and help from NYHL. SAHA, Georgia Sled Hockey and especially The Nashville Predators Foundation and The National Wheelcats.

We far exceeded our expected participation and have some kids with LOTS of potential in our own backyard. With enough support and a strong program we could easily place a few players on the USA Sled Hockey team.

Most of all, we introduced the game we all love to a group of kids who wouldn't otherwise get to play.

Old
08-28-2011, 11:37 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I have seen some sled hockey on TV. I am impressed by the courage and dedication shown by the players. It was hard enough for me to play hockey as a kid with two arms and two legs. I can't imagine reducing those numbers and still playing.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:39 AM
WartracePred

Equipment Drive November 22, Preds vs. Edmonton

I have the perfect justification for buying new hockey gear. Our youth Sled Preds hockey team is collecting used hockey gear at the gates during the Preds-Oilers game next Tuesday, Nov. 22. Our players and volunteers will be greeting fans at each entrance.

So go grab a new helmet, gloves, elbow pads, or whatever else you've wanted, but couldn't justify the purchase. Then bring your used gear to the game. And ask your friends and teammates to do the same. It's a win-win situation. You get new gear and the good feeling of helping kids play hockey.

If you've never watched sled hockey, stick around for a few minutes after the Preds game as we'll be practicing at the Bridge.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:14 PM
zellthemedic

Great! I've got a pair of gloves that I don't use anymore.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote