HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poms as #1 "Center"

Old
11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Poms as #1 "Center"

I must say, this certainly snuck up on me, though I suppose not being able to watch most of the games is as valid an excuse as any. When/how did this come about, and why is it so successful? Poms has always been a truly skilled player, but was there any inkling of this before this season?

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:38 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
I must say, this certainly snuck up on me, though I suppose not being able to watch most of the games is as valid an excuse as any. When/how did this come about, and why is it so successful? Poms has always been a truly skilled player, but was there any inkling of this before this season?
None for me, beyond him being a defensively responsible forward.

However, this season his FO% is... well, good, particularly for a winger. He won 12-2 last night in the circle. Looks like he's above 55% at home, and is just under 43% on the road on the season so far.

I don't think there's any need to actually move him to center, but essentially he's a guy who can play two positions on our top line if need be. I think some other posters mentioned that he was taking some FOs with Roy on the ice late in the last game. Shows the confidence Ruff has in him. Definitely a plus.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Jame
Dream '16

If you've considered Zetterberg a center all these years... then so is Pominville.

Jason Pominville is the Buffalo Sabres #1 center, and all around most valuable player.

(see im not some stubborn and biased against anyone)

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:15 PM
barcs

It was either early in his Buffalo career or late in his Rochester career that he was used on defense for a couple of games. Truly a versatile player.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Crazy Tasty

He's not big enough to be a #1 center.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:19 PM
gallagt01

Pominville has been great. I wish they'd just call him the No. 1 center already. Skill, a high compete level, defense-savvy, intangibles. Playing great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If you've considered Zetterberg a center all these years... then so is Pominville.

Jason Pominville is the Buffalo Sabres #1 center, and all around most valuable player.

(see im not some stubborn and biased against anyone)
While Poms contributions defensively and on the PK don't go unnoticed, I believe Vanek is the wheel that makes the offense go. He was our MVP (skater) last season and I think he's doing the same this year.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
He's not big enough to be a #1 center.
Neither is Sidney Crosby or John Tavares.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Neither is Sidney Crosby or John Tavares.
sorry, I forgot the after my post.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:31 PM
sk8haggard9

Pominville epitomizes exactly what Ruff wants in a player. Sometimes he may fly under the radar (not this season as he's been noticably explosive), but he always finds a way to rack up points, plays both special teams units, and plays amazing defensive hockey. I feel his time spent on the top line in 06/07 really helped mold him into the player he is today. I see the defensive responsibility that Hecht instilled in him, along with great vision and playmaking, akin to Briere.

So glad he is our captain.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:38 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I was thinking earlier today about how a few years ago at the end of the season, I described Pominville by saying that he had the worst 70 point season I had ever seen.

I'm glad to see that his confidence and decision making has caught up with his talent level. He truly is one of the key guys on this team, without a sliver of a doubt.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
boots electric

i know there's no such thing as 1:1 comparables, but he's been reminding me of chris drury lately...the good one.

that's a good thing

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Our new Captain Clutch?

The leadership on this team is actually kind of reminding of the Drury-Briere years. Drury is Pominville, and Briere is Roy/Vanek.

And people said the core of this team wasn't good enough...

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Let's not get carried away here, I love what I'm seeing so far, but these guys still need to prove it when it counts.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:37 PM
slip

I'm comfy with Jason taking faceoffs and playing right wing. Don't mess with what's working.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:02 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
2005-2006, right?

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:09 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
2005-2006, right?
I remember the playoffs Ruff talked about moving him to D because of all the injuries, but don't recall any discussion about center (especially since we already had Briere/Drury/Connolly/Roy/Gaustad/Mair/Hecht on the roster). Ruff's feeling was since he played on the point quite a bit he might be able to make that transition for a few games, and because Pominville was decent defensively it could work out. But ultimately we went to Janik/Jillson/Paetsch.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:10 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
But his contract sucks and he's not physical and we should trade him immediately </last year>

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:18 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
But his contract sucks and he's not physical and we should trade him immediately </last year>
I'm proud to say I never wanted to trade Pominville...felt he was maybe 500K overpaid but I could live with that given his value. Now, it's almost looking like he's 500K underpaid.

Of course, one can cue the "flash in the pan, trade him while he has the most value zomg" talk now...

Old
11-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I'm proud to say I never wanted to trade Pominville...felt he was maybe 500K overpaid but I could live with that given his value. Now, it's almost looking like he's 500K underpaid.

Of course, one can cue the "flash in the pan, trade him while he has the most value zomg" talk now...
Im glad to say my opinion is ever changing and based on the present.

Old
11-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
So you were for trading JPoms before you were against it. Jame, you could be president someday.

(FWIW, I questioned JPoms value to the team before... mea culpa)

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:49 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
So is mine, I just never bought into the Pominville sucks argument. I always thought he had a ton of value to this team, even if it didn't show up on the scoreboard.

Old
11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Being flexible enough to change your opinion is a good thing -- provided you don't take it to an extreme level and become one of the many fans whose opinion is based entirely on "what have you done for me lately." There are so many thread on this board of people wanting to jump off the ledge whenever a player is in a slump, or are planning the Cup parade when we are playing well for a few games.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Our new Captain Clutch?

The leadership on this team is actually kind of reminding of the Drury-Briere years. Drury is Pominville, and Briere is Roy/Vanek.

And people said the core of this team wasn't good enough...
To be fair, the core of this team has yet to win a playoff series. This is their year to prove otherwise. Regier gave them skill and depth at forward, defense, and goaltending, now it's time to see what they do with it.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:35 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I'm comfy with Jason taking faceoffs and playing right wing. Don't mess with what's working.
The whole point of this thread is that if you really watch the VAP line play, Pominville playing center is already "whats working."

Anyways, if Ruff ever lets Pominville be the center of the 1st line in name as well as reality, that opens up a TON of line combinations, the most interesting of which include putting Stafford, Boyes, or even Tropp on their RW, or even switching Vanek there and putting Gerbe on their LW.

I know many people harp on Ruff for too much line tweaking, but there are a ton of unexplored possibilities there. Just sayin.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
The whole point of this thread is that if you really watch the VAP line play, Pominville playing center is already "whats working."

Anyways, if Ruff ever lets Pominville be the center of the 1st line in name as well as reality, that opens up a TON of line combinations, the most interesting of which include putting Stafford, Boyes, or even Tropp on their RW, or even switching Vanek there and putting Gerbe on their LW.

I know many people harp on Ruff for too much line tweaking, but there are a ton of unexplored possibilities there. Just sayin.
completely agree.

I'd love to see Stafford on that line with Van and Pommer.

i wouldnt do anything to change GGB though.

I'd like to see Kaleta come back and join the Leino-Stafford line. And let Adam work out some kinks on the grind line with McCormick and Ellis