HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam Gagner Appreciation Thread

Old
11-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Shanahanigans

vCash: 500
Sam Gagner Appreciation Thread

over the last year or so, and especially the beginning of this year, it seems as though Sam Gagner has fallen out of taste to a lot of Oiler fans. Now, its clearly evident that he is struggling mightily right now, and looks lost this year, especially on the wing. despite that, I feel there is a lot of unwarranted anger towards him, people want to throw him away.
I don't post a lot, but I do feel this thread is necessary. Gagner is entering his fifth NHL season, but let's remember, he's only 9 months older than Eberle. The kid's 22. We may have stagnated his development a bit, but we have seen flashes of skill from him. I fully believe that he can be our second line centre going forward. Skill doesn't just disappear. And He's playing on the wing with Belanger and Jones, who aren't really the supporting players that Sam can put up a lot of points with. Just because there are newer and shinier kids in town, lets not get on the Gagner hate bandwagon. The kid needs his confidence back. I don't think we as a fan base need to be at his throat for every mistake and every bad game. He's been here for 4 bad seasons with the team, and even if he doesn't get results, I don't recall him ever taking a shift off.

I am sure the results will come with this kid, but for now, I am willing to be patient with him. He doesn't have the drive of Hall or the playmaking ability of RNH or Eberle's niftiness. but he can play. There's no world in which a 22 year old with a lot of skill is considered a bust. So just here to say, I fully support Gagner and hope we as a fan base can give him some room and time to find his game

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:14 AM
enthropi

I am of those who think it's a mistake to move him to wing, and don't really want to see him traded, BUT, there is little to appreciate in Gagner right now.

The only positive is that I've probably heard "one-timer" around his name more often than any other player so far, but don't think he has had success with it, but at least he is one of the few that can and does use a one-timer.

Anyway, it is bound to be a depreciation thread, as the anti-Gagner bandwagon is overloaded and there is little ammunition to defend him right now. He needs some TOPPEP intervention at this point.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I predict we're going to go on a significant losing streak pretty soon. Gagner will get his chance at center as the lines will get a shakeup when that happens. Not to sound too pessimistic but just a feeling I get. Lot's of players coming back down to earth.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Blue And Orange
Welcome Chiarelli!

I'm a huge Gagner fan but he really needs to get things going or else he will be gone.

I'm confident that he will have a decent NHL career and a long one. And hopefully, it will be with the Oilers. If he finds a niche elswhere in the NHL, I'll be okay with it.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

I'll add my appreciation here. I think its an odd time for an appreciation thread although I support the take that this isn't the time to sour on Gagner either.

As I've stated all along I think Gagner should get this year, and then the team can decide where and if he fits here.
Gagner does need to work on strength and battle. But when he's feeling 100% healthy and has jump he makes up for some of that. He managed .600ppg last year and pace of 50pts while playing with two rookies.

Before people attribute that to Omark I'll mention again that Gagner's production was higher without Omark last year and has been any year. HIs production went slightly down with Omark. His +/- collapsed with Omark. -4 before Omark, -16 after. The reader can decide attribution. For two years prior Gagner had one of the better +/- on a poor club.

People seem to forget that Gagner is creative around the net, has a nose for the net, and has a healthy bit of Eberle in his game. Right now it looks like his ankle is still giving him some problems and he's lacking first step jump.

Even given that he's been responsible in his defensive assignments, and jumped back on D at least 3 times in the Habs game when the D pinched. He had a brilliant play with 5mins left where he anticipated a play to the slot and prevented a goal by stripping Cammaleri of the puck. Cam had a perfect feed screen on the play from 20 feet out in the slot. Cept Gagner had it covered like a blanket. Cammy was trying to get Gagner out of his pocket.
A minute later Gagher is jumping up on the play and presuring the puck at the opposition blue line. He gets his stick knocked out but has presence of mind to still control that puck and kick it deep. Small plays, but he's making them. People just aren't noticing.
Sam actually looked alright on the PP as well. Contributed to the Smyth PP goal last night and made some nice plays leading up to that goal.

That said I would think he looks a lot better in a few weeks.

Patience.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Burtch66

I don't think it's that people don't appreciate Sam. It's just a case that this team has changed a lot, and there really isn't a role that his talents can fill anymore. Wanting to move Gagner isn't a Slam on His skills or personality. it's just a Case of him not fitting the teams needs. When The Oilers drafted RNH, and signed Belanger, Gagner became the odd man out. The truth is a move would be good for both Sam, and the Oilers.

Burtch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Blue And Orange
Welcome Chiarelli!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtch66 View Post
I don't think it's that people don't appreciate Sam. It's just a case that this team has changed a lot, and there really isn't a role that his talents can fill anymore. Wanting to move Gagner isn't a Slam on His skills or personality. it's just a Case of him not fitting the teams needs. When The Oilers drafted RNH, and signed Belanger, Gagner became the odd man out. The truth is a move would be good for both Sam, and the Oilers.
This is something I agree on. Although, I'm not going to knee-jerk and want Sam out but in my mind, going forward for both sides, Gagner would benefit his career if he goes to another NHL team, perhaps New Jersey, Nashville, or a team that needs to centres.

I think he has the tools to have a long and fine career in the NHL.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
On behalf of a longstanding Oiler player I appreciate how this is phrased.

At this moment I can understand the questions. Something still tells me however that a year from now we'll be glad we didn't move Gagner.

As mentioned if at the end of the season it still looks like a nonfit then move Gagner and maybe even as early as this trade deadline.

But I don't think the Oilers are at this point with Gagner. afairc he hasn't been mentioned in any of the past trades. For instance Penner and Cogs were known to be on the outs for quite awhile. With comfrimation of player shopping. I haven't seen that yet with Gagner.

Gagner would work out particularly well on a larger tougher squad. On a team where size and strength is already an issue its a harder fit. I think we all see that.

Its just tough for a fan of the player to see whats happening right now. I'm a passionate fan and I struggle with that component of being a fan. Hard to say goodbye if it comes to that.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-11-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Petro Points

Gagner is 2nd best in fceoff% behind Belanger. He has improved on his speed and faceoffs over the offseason but is stuck on the wing. He may not have a future with Oil but I for one appreciates his commitment to improving his overall game!!

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Burtch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
.Gagner would work out particularly well on a larger tougher squad. On a team where size and strength is already an issue its a harder fit. I think we all see that.
And that is just it. Unfortunately for Sam He's the odd man out.Odds are Smytty and Horcs are here for a couple more years. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Lander, Patrell, Jones, and PRV are likely here long term. Belanger & Eager are here for a couple at least. My gut says if Hemsky goes they will want to either replace with Hartski or Omark. It just puts Gagner in noman's land.

Old
11-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Gagner is 2nd best in fceoff% behind Belanger. He has improved on his speed and faceoffs over the offseason but is stuck on the wing. He may not have a future with Oil but I for one appreciates his commitment to improving his overall game!!
I have not seen that speed translate to the regular season, however to be fair he went down with an ankle injury and that would obviously affect his skating negatively.

11-11-2011, 01:38 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
I don't agree with the premise of a Gagner appreciation thread but i agree with this post entirely.
I'm pretty sure that most of us want Gagner to succeed (i know i do) but there isn't a fit for him here anymore and him rotting on the 3rd line RW isn't good for him either. Moving him really would be the best thing for both parties and i hope that he has a long, productive career wherever he ends up.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Burtch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't agree with the premise of a Gagner appreciation thread but i agree with this post entirely.
I'm pretty sure that most of us want Gagner to succeed (i know i do) but there isn't a fit for him here anymore and him rotting on the 3rd line RW isn't good for him either. Moving him really would be the best thing for both parties and i hope that he has a long, productive career wherever he ends up.
I do too. I actually like Gagner a lot. I think he's a really good kid that has a ton to offer. It's just what he has to offer isn't what the Oilers need. If he gets moved i know I will be rooting for him.