HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roenick and Amonte back to Chicago? (Rumour)

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Roenick and Amonte back to Chicago? (Rumour)

http://www.suntimes.com/output/hawks...t-cside09.html

I was given this link in my E-mail this afternoon, and found it quite interesting.

There are a lot of rumours as of late that have perhaps all three or Roenick, Leclaire, and Amonte all leaving the Flyers with the club eating some salary possibly with all three. In fact, Leclair and Amonte and openly talking about not thinking they will be Flyers next year, and Roenick has seemingly planted enough bugs in peoples' ears to sound like he wants out.

The Flyers have a lot of offensive depth so no doubt they could deal with some of these losses, but I found it interesting to read that perhaps Roenick and Amonte want to go back to Chicago. If perhaps the Flyers ate 1/4th of the salary, I actually could see it happening. The Hawks have a REALLY low payroll all of a sudden, and Hawks GM (this week at least) Bob Pulford has talked all off-season about adding *two* top-line players. Earlier this off-season, guys like Paul Kariya and Pavol Demitra have been rumoured to be talking to Hawks management, so it sounds like they have money to spend. This is a team that had a $40+ million dollar payroll a year and a half ago, let's not forget.

So Roenick and Amonte with some salary eaten to the Hawks? Might be something worth talking about. It would definetly improve the skill-level on the Hawks, that's for darn sure.

Old
09-09-2004, 03:04 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson

I was given this link in my E-mail this afternoon, and found it quite interesting.

There are a lot of rumours as of late that have perhaps all three or Roenick, Leclaire, and Amonte all leaving the Flyers with the club eating some salary possibly with all three. In fact, Leclair and Amonte and openly talking about not thinking they will be Flyers next year, and Roenick has seemingly planted enough bugs in peoples' ears to sound like he wants out.

The Flyers have a lot of offensive depth so no doubt they could deal with some of these losses, but I found it interesting to read that perhaps Roenick and Amonte want to go back to Chicago. If perhaps the Flyers ate 1/4th of the salary, I actually could see it happening. The Hawks have a REALLY low payroll all of a sudden, and Hawks GM (this week at least) Bob Pulford has talked all off-season about adding *two* top-line players. Earlier this off-season, guys like Paul Kariya and Pavol Demitra have been rumoured to be talking to Hawks management, so it sounds like they have money to spend. This is a team that had a $40+ million dollar payroll a year and a half ago, let's not forget.

So Roenick and Amonte with some salary eaten to the Hawks? Might be something worth talking about. It would definetly improve the skill-level on the Hawks, that's for darn sure.
As a Nashville fan, I'd love to see Amonte back with Chicago taking ice time away from Ruutu.

Old
09-09-2004, 03:05 PM
HellsBells

Wow. Roenick would definitely help the Hawks. Amonte, you never know, he always did play well in Chicago though. Leclair is done like dinner IMO.

The Hawks should stick with their youngsters and bring in one, maybe two first line players. Kariya and Demitra would be better IMO as Amonte & Leclair have definitely lost a step or ten.

Old
09-09-2004, 03:07 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson

Man, that would be great. It would definitely help hockey in general for Chicago to improve next year and to have a personality like JR playing back in Chicago. Who Hawks fans here think?(are there any left?)

Old
09-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Shoalzie

The Hawks need a renaissance getting JR back would help.

Old
09-09-2004, 03:37 PM
chriss_co

Amonte is done.. no longer the same player he was several years ago

JR is close to being over the hill but his overall game has improved that he would be a welcome addition to the Hawks

Old
09-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Teezax

What does Chicago have that the Flyers want?
I still believe JR will stay with Philly, but Amonte and Leclair are goners. i could care less where they go.

Old
09-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
As a Nashville fan, I'd love to see Amonte back with Chicago taking ice time away from Ruutu.
I doubt very much that Amonte will take ice time away from Ruutu.

And if my rival added veteran depth, I'd be worried by possible repercussions. One of the only knock against Ruutu at this point is the lack of veteran guidance. If Chicago adds a few of that, players like Ruutu may have a smoother adaptation to this league, which spells trouble for all rivals.

I'm not an Amonte fan but the guy has been in this league for many years and has performed very well for a number of years. Same for the other guys mentioned in this rumor. It's not exactly a good thing for the Predators if this happens.

In fact, it's probably aa bad thing.

Old
09-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
I still believe JR will stay with Philly, but Amonte and Leclair are goners. i could care less where they go.
The ability to take on the salaries without the Flyers having to buy the guys out!!!

Probably wouldn't take any more then a bag of practice pucks ... maybe in a Sacs 5th Avenue bag.

Have we heard the last of JR's gambling story? I wonder if Chicago would be willing to take that on so soon after the Theo Fleury drinking saga's..... I'm not saying JR's is nearly as bad. But what if it becomes apparent he wagered on NHL, etc?? Ahhhh who cares! He'd still bring some excitement and optimism back to the Windy City in the meantime!!

Old
09-09-2004, 04:16 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax

Who cares, dumping that much salery would do the Flyers more good than what they got back from them.

When I read the first post I got my hopes up, this would give the Flyers the salery dump they wanted and it would allow us to put some youth into the lineup. I know its all rumours at this point, but this would be very good for the Flyers.

Old
09-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Great idea but I cant believe Amonte would contemplate it. He really burnt his bridges with Chicago when he left.. it was quite acrimonious.

Old
09-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2
Who cares, dumping that much salery would do the Flyers more good than what they got back from them.

When I read the first post I got my hopes up, this would give the Flyers the salery dump they wanted and it would allow us to put some youth into the lineup. I know its all rumours at this point, but this would be very good for the Flyers.
i dont care if we get nothing back fro Tony and John, but for Roenick, i'd like something. He still is a top player in the league.

Old
09-09-2004, 04:45 PM
salty justice

JR would be welcomed back with open arms, but Amonte is pretty useless IMO.

Clarke would be more than happy to trade JR and $2-3mil for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Its a lot cheaper than buying him out and he wants to get rid of him anyways.

Any veteran the Hawks acquire would take loads of ice time away from Ruutu with Brain Sputter behind the bench.

Old
09-09-2004, 04:47 PM
salty justice

This article is complete BS though. JR always says things like this and complete makes up these rumours. He did the same thing in Phoenix a couple months back. The trade talks he heard were from a dream, he just wants to get away from Hitchcock.

Old
09-09-2004, 05:18 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
Clarke would be more than happy to trade JR and $2-3mil for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Its a lot cheaper than buying him out and he wants to get rid of him anyways.
He does? I've yet to read anything from Clarke about buying out or trading JR. Leclair and Amonte, yes. Not JR. I won't even get into the 3rd or 4th round pick offer.

Old
09-09-2004, 05:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I doubt very much that Amonte will take ice time away from Ruutu.

And if my rival added veteran depth, I'd be worried by possible repercussions. One of the only knock against Ruutu at this point is the lack of veteran guidance. If Chicago adds a few of that, players like Ruutu may have a smoother adaptation to this league, which spells trouble for all rivals.

I'm not an Amonte fan but the guy has been in this league for many years and has performed very well for a number of years. Same for the other guys mentioned in this rumor. It's not exactly a good thing for the Predators if this happens.

In fact, it's probably aa bad thing.
Amonte is washed up, JR would improve them, Amonte would not, loosing Sullivan hurt them.

Old
09-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Malefic74

With the performance of Esche in the WC, I think Clarke has to figure their window of opportunity is still open. I can see him tinkering here and there, but I have a hard time believing he will blow-up the team to re-tool quite yet.

JR still gives the Flyers a very solid 1-2 down the middle and Amonte became a little more valuable with the departure of Recchi. True he is not what he once was but can still be effective when used correctly. Hitchcock found away to make Hull useful long after Brett had declined into an immobile one timer machine; he'll figure a way to use Amonte too.

Old
09-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

I don't think Roenick is going anywhere.

Old
09-09-2004, 07:01 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Roenick is worth keeping, as long as he is heathly. Amonte and LeClair are over paid and washed up, non playoff producing players. If the Hawks want them I'd take a few draft picks.

Old
09-09-2004, 07:08 PM
burgess1978

Maybe the deal would be:

Chicago gets: Jeremy Roenick
Philadelphia gets: rid of Tony Amonte's contract

So maybe Chicago can't have Roenick without Amonte.

For the Chicago fans: Would you rather have Amonte, Nickulas, Radulov or Vorobiev as your top line RW next year? He may be past his prime, but still easily the best guy on that list. I agree that Kariya etc. would be better, but also more expensive.

Old
09-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Behn Wilson

I doubt the Hawks would want Amonte but we would love to get JR back, if it didnt cost much. JR is probably the most viable option tod generate legitimate fan interest in Chicago again. I could see this happening.

I dont want Amonte, his game was based totally on his speed and since he has lost a step he has lost his effectiveness. But if we had to take him & his salary (maybe Philly eats a little of it) to get Roenick I'd do it in a heartbeat. Though a shell of his former self, I think it would be good for hockey league wide to have JR back in Chicago. Breathe some excitement back into one of its biggest markets.

And Amonte didnt really leave on bad terms with the Hawks. It was Mike Smith who he had a problem with and obviously Smith is long gone.

I dont see this trade happening myself but would love it if it did. It was just JR in Chicago for a charity golf tournament reminiscing about the old days and saying he loved it here and sucking up to the locals a little saying he wouldnt mind coming back. Hawks wont get him back for another five years the way they do business though.

Old
09-10-2004, 02:08 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Amonte had some pretty harsh words for the Chicago Blackhawks franchise when he left town, no? I can't imagine he'd want to be back there. Does he have an NTC?

Old
09-10-2004, 06:28 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
Clarke would be more than happy to trade JR and $2-3mil for a 3rd or 4th round pick.
If that were true Petr Nedved would not be a Phoenix Coyote.

Old
09-10-2004, 06:41 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson
I dont want Amonte, his game was based totally on his speed and since he has lost a step he has lost his effectiveness.
I don't think it has anything to do w/ his speed. His shot looked horrible all season. If he's not scoring he's useless. Maybe going back out West out of Hitch's system would be best for Amonte at this point in his career.

Old
09-10-2004, 09:02 AM
GaryU

JR would help on/off the ice here. Amonte? Makes an awful lot for (now) a 3rd liner. His offense is just about gone. Of course, the reason either scenario won't work is because both had the audacity to ask for market value. They both make MORE than market now. Wirtz/Pullme won't do it. They would rather get talked into that idiot Fleury, Krapo, Korolev, etc....And that thing about Sutter taking ice time away from young guys is valid. Odds are, unless about 10-12 team planes go down during the season, the Hawks won't make the playoffs (let alone win the Cup). Play the kids.

Closed Thread