HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enforcers

Old
11-09-2011, 05:32 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
Enforcers

I like the move we made in enforcers this year. We now have a guy who will win most fights and can play respectable 4th line minutes. However, if all he ever does is fight the other teams enforcer, what good is it? Case in point last night. Our points leader, Legwand, gets his head taken off in the middle of our zone by Dustin Brown. God knows how long he'll be out. Our enforcer is in the line-up. No response. Why not? If you can take out our leading scorer, and not get beat up by our enforcer, then what's the purpose of having him? I didn't see any restraint by Brown. Isn't the reason we have an enforcer to discourage players like Brown from taking liberties with our high-end, non-fighting players? I thought it was an unnecessary hit that bordered on illegal but even if it was legal, there was not hesitiation for fear of retaliation.

He should have been made to pay. We may have lost the one guy we couldn't afford to lose for any length of time.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
I like the move we made in enforcers this year. We now have a guy who will win most fights and can play respectable 4th line minutes. However, if all he ever does is fight the other teams enforcer, what good is it? Case in point last night. Our points leader, Legwand, gets his head taken off in the middle of our zone by Dustin Brown. God knows how long he'll be out. Our enforcer is in the line-up. No response. Why not? If you can take out our leading scorer, and not get beat up by our enforcer, then what's the purpose of having him? I didn't see any restraint by Brown. Isn't the reason we have an enforcer to discourage players like Brown from taking liberties with our high-end, non-fighting players? I thought it was an unnecessary hit that bordered on illegal but even if it was legal, there was not hesitiation for fear of retaliation.

He should have been made to pay. We may have lost the one guy we couldn't afford to lose for any length of time.
It would have accomplished nothing last night. It was a legal hit, and though he throws big hits, Brown is one of the biggest cowards in the league when it comes to answering for them. McGrattan would have picked up 5 and a misconduct, and we would have left the Kings with yet another PP.

I've never really bought the 'enforcer as deterrent' point of view. McGrattan is basically there to make a few big hits, fire up the team, and hopefully not get taken to school by a player with real skill. Just my $.02.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:22 PM
rolltide

I tend to agree with the OP on this. Granted McGratten probably would have gotten a misconduct because Brown would not drop the gloves, but at the same time in McGratten had beaten him silly, maybe just maybe word might spread that if you take liberties on the Preds top players you might get get thrashed.

Yes we would have been on the PK giving the Kings yet another PP, but who knows, maybe this inspires the team, makes them play harder and we take control of the game in the 2nd and 3rd. how it would have turned out can only be speculated.

What we do know for sure is that McGratten did not tangle with Brown and we still got beat.

Maybe tonight against the Ducks if opportunity presents itself we can try a different approach and then judge that result on its merits.

Just my $.02 worth!

rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I hate when people fight after legal checks.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
This. Legwand hit was legal, but the Kings knew we wouldn't have a response however that hit ended up. But having said that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post

...an enforcer like McCrappan used to make a difference and perhaps cool things down/heat things up as necessary. It doesn't really work any more in today's game. Because it doesn't work anymore like in the past and since certainly McCrappan hasn't lessened the legal/borderline/cheap/illegal hits on the Preds thus far, McCrappan is ultimately a wasted roster spot for a strategy that doesn't work anymore. I guess I'm biased, but the Preds seem to take more than their fair share of hard checks/cheap shots compared to the rest of the games I watch around the league. No reason the other guys on the ice can't stand up for each other and make other teams hesitate before they do something. It looks like the rest of the league knows they can get away with about anything they want, and with an anemic power play, there's not much risk in trying.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 07:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't mind fighting after a legal hit, happens to Tootoo all the time.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 07:48 PM
cleangene

Horns has been getting CHOKED once a game for the past 3 years, and since not 1 teammate steps up to say STOP THAT in a special way, it will continue.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
rolltide

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
As a general rule I am against this also, however the Predators have a reputation of doing nothing even if the hit it not legal. In this case even if the hit was "legal" it would begin to send the message of, if i lay out one of the stars I may get whacked anyway.

It will be interesting to see the Penguins response the first time Crosby gets laid out by a legal but violent check.

rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:03 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Made to pay for clean hits? Sorry, those are just part of the game. The only way to prevent what happened to Legwand is to make it a no-touch league. When Fisher got hit in what initially looked dirtier than replays later showed , there was an immediate response ... and rightfully so.

Guys like McGrattan don't do a thing to dissuade behavior. They're becoming an anachronism. The short list of guys he'll actually fight is shrinking every season as team after team stops carrying a designated goon. The league is back down to team fighting totals closer to the mid-70s than the late-90s.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote