HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookie Camp

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Gainey RULZ

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/162359.html

Cory Urquhart and Danny Stewart are injured...
New lines :
G. Stewart - C. Locke - A. Kostitsyn
J. Bonneau - K. Chipchura - D. Milroy
M. Lambert - M. Lapierre - O. Labelle
K. Petit - K. Glode - J. Ferland
(J. Jolette)

A. Archer - F. Caron - A. Dulac-Lemelin - M. Flood - D. Martin - J. Sanford

Y. Danis (1st game)
J. Halak (2nd game)
L. Lacasse (3rd game)

Quote:
Corey Locke : "Je suis un peu plus lourd que l'an passé et j'ai ajouté du muscle. Je me sens également plus rapide. J'ai amélioré mon patin."

Last edited by Gainey RULZ: 09-10-2004 at 11:37 PM.
Old
09-11-2004, 07:10 AM
rocketlives

I went to the 2:30PM practice yesterday. All the players had practice jerseys without their names or numbers, and not knowing these players very well, I had a very hard time telling who was who.

Doug Jarvis was in charge and he had them do a lot of three on two and other game situations but no scrimmages with a full team of 6 players on each side. I thought the pace of the practice was fast but I didn't notice any player standing out as being way above the others. If Kostitsyn was there, he didn't do anything special. Generally speaking, the defense seemed suspect and the forwards lacked accuracy when shooting at the net.

This team has several mediocre invitees on it, and hockey being a team sport, I'd be surprised if they did well in that tournament. It's only my opinion and I could be wrong.

There were very few fans at that practice. Rink #1 was more than half empty but there were a good nunmber of cameramen and media people. Renaud Lavoie was there. I looked for Chantal Macchabée but she wasn't there. André Savard, Pierre Gauthier, Claude Julien and Guy Charron were in the stands. Charron had a nice tan and seemed in a good mood. Savard, Gauthier and Julien seemed pleased to see him. For sure there's no hard feelings between these guys. From what I heard Game 1 is sold out and all the games will be played on rink#1.

I really can't understand why they didn't rent rink #4 for this tournament. Playing all the games in this very small rink sounds bushleague to me. Also the first and last game of this tournament are exactly in the same time frame as a semi-final game and the final game of the WCT. I might go see the odd game early next week as $7 isn't too steep a price to watch the Habs' future prospects in a real game situation. It's the very limited seating capacity that I don't like.

Last edited by rocketlives: 09-11-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old
09-11-2004, 01:04 PM
oli500

I am going to be at todays game. Hoppefuly I dont get lost as its my first time going to that arena .

Old
09-11-2004, 01:56 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

i was at the practice yesterday and greg stewart was injured not danny stewart...he told me it was his groin..
and the arena seats only about 300-500 ppl...rink 4 (international sized ice) seats 1500...
i cant make it to the game today because i have a football game but i will be htere on sunday..

at yesterdays practice kostitsyn was dynamite...i found he showed alot of the skills he really wasnt showing because of nerves at the last camps..

Old
09-11-2004, 11:38 PM
justsomeguy

Habs win 5-2. Goals by Locke, Milroy, Lapierre, Bonneau and, into an empty net, Chipchura.

Danis stopped 30 of 32. Archer dropped the gloves a couple times.

Packed house. Very difficult to see unless you got there early and didn't get up again. Five dollar beer and more retired players than you can shake a stick at, if that's your idea of a good time.

Old hockey players don't leave the game, they just leave the ice.

One twelve hour day down, three more to go.

Old
09-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Puke`

Send a message via ICQ to Puke`
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
Habs win 5-2. Goals by Locke, Milroy, Lapierre, Bonneau and, into an empty net, Chipchura.

Danis stopped 30 of 32. Archer dropped the gloves a couple times.

Packed house. Very difficult to see unless you got there early and didn't get up again. Five dollar beer and more retired players than you can shake a stick at, if that's your idea of a good time.

Old hockey players don't leave the game, they just leave the ice.

One twelve hour day down, three more to go.
I was there and I only saw Mike Keenan, John Muckler & André Savard. Actually, Keenan was sitting RIGHT behind me for the FLA/TOR game. I saw Savard early in the afternoon in the hall and Muckler was sitting in one of the Press Rooms for the Habs game.

Who else did I miss?

Old
09-12-2004, 05:54 AM
rocketlives

First Game against the Sens' Rookies

Habs rookies win first game 5-2
http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/re...ewsItemID=3946

Habs rookies win tourney opener
Canadiens upset Sens before packed house
(09/11/2004)

In a physical, hard-fought game, first-round draft choice Kyle Chipchura experienced some heated moments first-hand.
PIERREFONDS – In what gave Montreal fans a first-hand look into the future of their franchise, the Canadiens’ rookies downed their counterparts from Ottawa, 5-2, on Saturday night.

Andrei Kostitsyn, Duncan Milroy, Maxim Lapierre, Jimmy Bonneau, and Kyle Chiphura provided the offense for Montreal. Peter Tsimikalis and Grant Potulny answered for the Senators.

“Any time you win a game, even if it’s part of a rookie tournament, you have to be satisfied,” said Chipchura, the Canadiens’ top draft pick this past June. “The guys are pretty happy right now.”

The game was the teams’ first of four contests in a round-robin tournament held on the western part of Montreal island. In a spirited affair watched by a standing-room-only audience in a 500-seat arena, both teams settled into a fast-paced game after a tentative opening frame highlighted by Kostitsyn’s first goal of any sort in a Canadiens uniform. Ripping a shot from the base of the faceoff circle, the 10th overall selection in the 2003 draft beat Ottawa backstop Kelly Guard, who was swamped with 38 shots on the night.

Though Kostitsyn ultimately left the game early due to a minor case of cramps, he enjoyed his first taste of North American-style hockey.

“The game here is different,” he said through an interpreter. “The ice is smaller, the intensity is greater, and the play is a lot quicker. There’s a lot of up-and-down, up-and-down. I’m not used to it yet, but it was a good experience.”

With the score knotted at 1, Milroy converted a Chipchura feed in front just 1:58 into the second frame to give Montreal its second lead of the night. After Potulny drew the Senators even, the Canadiens took the lead for good at 11:21 of the period on a beautiful play by Michael Lambert. Breaking up the right wing on a 2-on-1 rush, the 99th overall pick in 2002 cut in front of the net and drew the Ottawa rearguard toward him before sliding the puck to Lapierre. Lapierre, Lambert’s teammate on the PEI Rocket, one-timed the feed past a helpless Guard to make it a 3-2 game.

Bonneau added some insurance at the 14:39 mark, converting the pass of a hustling Milroy from behind the net. Chipchura added an empty-netter to close out the scoring with 13 seconds remaining in regulation.

The game was hard-nosed from the start, with much of the young talent on both sides eager to make an impression before coaches and scouts. Five different players in all were sent off for fighting at various points in the contest, while 46 total penalty minutes were called.

Chipchura felt the physical play would be indicative of how the tournament would go.

“It’s one of the few chances this year where we’ll get to play in front of the whole Canadiens’ brass,” he said. “This is the point where if you want to turn some heads, this is your chance.”

Doug Jarvis, head coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs and the man behind the bench for Montreal throughout the tournament, liked the progression he saw over 60 minutes.

“That first period was a bit of a scramble, but then things started to get better,” he opined. “There was some better team play in the second and third, but that’s what you’d expect. They’ve had two practices, so it’ll take them some time to develop some chemistry.”

As for first impressions, the coach was impressed by the early work of both first-round picks in his lineup.

“I think you can see the abilities that they have,” he said. “I thought Kyle, as the game went on, got stronger, while Andrei, when he got the puck, it seemed to me he was a dangerous player. You could see the power of his wrist shot.”

And while Jarvis liked what he saw from Chipchura, Chipchura liked what he saw from a rabid crowd that passed on the World Cup to cheer a mere exhibition game among players possibly years away from the NHL.

“It just shows how they like their hockey in Montreal,” Chipchura said with a grin. “It was great – it was a small building, but the fans made a lot of noise and made it fun to play.”

Both clubs will resume play on Sunday afternoon, when the Canadiens play the Panthers at 4:00 and the Senators face the Maple Leafs at 7:30.

NOTES: 2004 Hobey Baker finalist Yann Danis was the man between the pipes for Montreal and looked strong throughout the game, turning aside 30 of 32 shots. He made a key stop late, snagging a wrist shot by Nathan O’Nabigon with Ottawa pressing… RW Jonathan Ferland wore the “C” for the Canadiens, while Milroy and D Andrew Archer were his alternates… In-game scoring updates of Team Canada’s 4-3 win over the Czech Republic were loudly cheered by the sold-out crowd, while a portion of the fans with a view of an external TV erupted in a spontaneous celebration mid-way through the third upon the completion of the World Cup game… Bonneau went toe-to-toe with LW Derek Campbell late in the first period, eliciting “Jimmy, Jimmy” chants from the crowd… Archer was handed a game misconduct for fighting Neil Komadoski at 12:03 of the second… RW Olivier Labelle left the game with a tender shoulder… LW Greg Stewart, sidelined since the start of camp with a pulled groin, remained out of action, while C Cory Urquhart (back spasms) also missed the game. D Jonathan Jolette and G Loic Lacasse were both healthy scratches.

J.S. Trzcienski is the Site Manager for canadiens.com.

Old
09-12-2004, 06:35 AM
rocketlives

Kostitsyn and Chipchura

Kostitsyn and Chipchura: nice future looming

La Presse 12 septembre 2004
Mathias Brunet

We have been critical of the Habs' first draft picks for a long time. Between 1985 and 2000, the Habs drafted only 2 first class players: Andrew Cassels in 1987 and Saku Koivu in 1993.

The Habs' first choices for the last two seasons, Andrei Kostitsyn (2003) and Kyle Chipchura (2004) were playing their first game in a Habs' uniform last night in Pierrefonds in the 1st game of the Rookie Tournament, and we can already foresee a brilliant future for both.

Kostitsyn scored the first goal in the first minutes of the game, Chipchura scored one goal and added an assist and the Habs' hopefuls beat the Sens' rookies 5-2.

The person in charge of scouting for the Habs, Trevor Timmins, liked what he saw very much. "They have a lot of merit because they were playing against an older and more physically mature group of players and the game was quite physical. In spite of all that, they were able to demonstrate their physical skills."

Chipchura who is only 18 was compared to Trevor Linden by Brian Burke, the ex GM of the Vancouver Canucks, after the Habs drafted him in the 18th rank last June. This young 6'3" 205lbs hard-nosed player made quite a nice play on the Habs' second goal. He picked up a loose puck behind the Sens' net and directed a perfect pass on Duncan Milroy's stick who was standing in front of the goal and didn't miss his chance. " He won a lot of one-on-one battles along the boards noted Timmins. He protects the puck very well and also does a lot of little things on the ice. He plays with assurance."

Kostitsyn showed superb natural skills during the game even if his linemates Corey Locke and Danny Stewart weren't very effective. Most of the Habs' defensemen were also rather erratic.

"We will have to find players that suit him said Timmins. He is a formidable goal scorer and he needs linemates who can give him the puck on the tape."

Coach Doug Jarvis was impressed by Kostitsyn's talent at 19. "He was dangerous each time he had the puck. We can see the power of his wrist shot. He will need a little bit of time to get used to the size of North American rinks."

Kostitsyn said he was surprised by the difference between European and North American hockey. " It is a lot quicker and more intense here. I'm not used to this style of play and I will need a little bit of time to get used to it. But I feel well. Physically I can finally play to my maximum since the team doctors have settled my health problems. The communication with my teammates is improving. I understand simple terms like passing, shooting etc..."

Maxim Lapierre, used extensively, Michael Lambert, a goal, Duncan Milroy, a goal and an assist, Jimmy Bonneau a goal and a fierce fight, Jonathan Ferland, very physical, and the goalkeeper Yann Danis also did very well.

Last edited by rocketlives: 09-12-2004 at 06:46 AM.
Old
09-12-2004, 07:25 AM
RLC

At what time did the rink open the flood gates to grab a good seat ?
I have a ticket for Monday and I am trying to get a grip on what time I should get to the rink to get the best seat I can.

Old
09-12-2004, 08:30 AM
rocketlives

The game starts at 7:30PM on Monday. I would say you have to be there at least at 6:30PM to have a good seat. Sometimes you think you have a good seat and then a couple of cameramen install their gear right in front of you and you no longer see half the ice.

Also don't drink too much beer or coffee before the game because if you have to go to the little boys room during the game, you lose your place unless somebody keeps it for you.

During the Hab's training camp last year, when they played those intrasquad games, they played two 30-minute periods. They played the 1st period on rink #1 and the 2nd period on rink #2. In order to have a good seat for the second period you had to leave rink #1 one or two minutes before the end of the period and run over to rink#2 ahead of the others.

Two words to describe this set-up : BUSH LEAGUE.

Old
09-12-2004, 08:39 AM
RLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
The game starts at 7:30PM on Monday. I would say you have to be there at least at 6:30PM to have a good seat. Sometimes you think you have a good seat and then a couple of cameramen install their gear right in front of you and you no longer see half the ice.

Also don't drink too much beer or coffee before the game because if you have to go to the little boys room during the game, you lose your place unless somebody keeps it for you.

During the Hab's training camp last year, when they played those intrasquad games, they played two 30-minute periods. They played the 1st period on rink #1 and the 2nd period on rink #2. In order to have a good seat for the second period you had to leave rink #1 one or two minutes before the end of the period and run over to rink#2 ahead of the others.

Two words to describe this set-up : BUSH LEAGUE.

Thanks for the tips, I will impliment them. Get there at least 1 hour early,Donit drink liquids for 4 hours previous, dont leave your seat, bush league atmosphere-- humm it all sounds like a visit to a CLSC in Quebec these days.

Old
09-12-2004, 09:40 AM
penopekoo

Quote:
The game starts at 7:30PM on Monday. I would say you have to be there at least at 6:30PM to have a good seat.
Are you sure? The article says the Montreal-Florida game is at 4:00PM, but the Toronto-Ottawa game is at 7:30PM. I'm not going, but I'm just checking to make sure nobody ends up arriving after the game ends...

Old
09-12-2004, 10:06 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo
Are you sure? The article says the Montreal-Florida game is at 4:00PM, but the Toronto-Ottawa game is at 7:30PM. I'm not going, but I'm just checking to make sure nobody ends up arriving after the game ends...
RLC said he had a ticket for Monday's game which starts at 7:30PM. Today's game starts at 4:00PM.

Old
09-12-2004, 10:09 AM
RLC

[QUOTE=rocketlives]RLC said he had a ticket for Monday's game which starts at 7:30PM. Today's game starts at 4:00PM.[/QUOTE

Yes, Mondays game, Thanks rocketlives

Old
09-12-2004, 10:21 AM
penopekoo

Quote:
RLC said he had a ticket for Monday's game which starts at 7:30PM. Today's game starts at 4:00PM.
Oh right, sorry!

Old
09-12-2004, 10:43 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Kostitsyn said he was surprised by the difference between European and North American hockey. " It is a lot quicker and more intense here. I'm not used to this style of play and I will need a little bit of time to get used to it. But I feel well. Physically I can finally play to my maximum since the team doctors have settled my health problems. The communication with my teammates is improving. I understand simple terms like passing, shooting etc..."

! Too bad for me I can't go to the today game.Hopefully the habs will win !

Old
09-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Aarex

i don't suppose RDS has any plans to show any of these games

*Hates not being able to see his teams talent at work*

Old
09-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Habs lose 2nd match 5-2

Just saw it at RDS... Bonneau hammered a guy, Petit scored a nice goal on a good wrist shot and Halak was in net today.

Old
09-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Aarex

hrm, maybe they arn't televising it in the rest of canada, RDS had tennis on all day :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Old
09-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
I am sure he meant on the RDS news bulletin.

Old
09-12-2004, 08:44 PM
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puke`
I was there and I only saw Mike Keenan, John Muckler & André Savard. Actually, Keenan was sitting RIGHT behind me for the FLA/TOR game. I saw Savard early in the afternoon in the hall and Muckler was sitting in one of the Press Rooms for the Habs game.

Who else did I miss?
I didn't recognize most of the guys there and had 'em pointed out to me by a dedicated hound who has been collecting autographs for over 20 years and is quite well known, or at least, often recognized by the hockey guys.

A partial list - Andre Boudrias, Gord Donnelly, John Ferguson Jr., Lucien Deblois, Rick Ley, Anders Hedberg, Pierre Gauthier, Wayne Mundey (ex ref, both WHA and NHL, now with the Blues), Larry Carriere, Trent McLeary, Brian Murray, Ron Low, Guy Charron, Keith Acton, Mike Busniuk, Nick Polano.

Of course Gainey, Jarvis, Julien were all in attendance. So was David Mulder, team uberdoktor. I accidentally elbowed Gainey but he didn't retaliate.

Also present yesterday, proud father Wally Weir. His son was one of 10 free agent invitees to the Panthers' camp. " I still hate the Canadiens" the one-time Nordiques blueliner was overheard telling a virtually unknown local writer.

Dave Jackson and family there tonight.

Also a number of pathetic puckbunnies, most of 'em blonde, looking to advance themselves.

Disagree with the poster making the "bush league" declaration. This rookie tourney is a gas. Enjoy it if you're able to attend cause it may just be the last NHL hockey you get to see for a while.

Whaddaya want for seven bucksanyway?

Every seat in the place is better than the best location in the Bell Centre. You get to see possible future stars knocking themselves out, trying for a grab at the brass ring.

And, if you listen closely you get to hear a lot of inside stuff you ain't ever gonna read in the papers. Real important stuff like who's getting divorced, who just can't seem to sink a putt anymore, who's going to be elevated to the big team's coaching staff, why we haven't built a new rink for any junior teams in Quebec in 25 years while they've built new rinks for a whack of teams outside the province.

And then there's the trainers from a visiting team that videotaped a Habs employee changing their clothes. Nothing naughty, overclothes only, but visible in a Skydome sort of way from rinkside.

Then there are the relatives who turn up wearing their son/brother/cousin's sweaters. The one from the OHL team and the one he was given at the draft in Nashvile for the photo op with 03 on the back.

Oh yeah, there were some hockey games played as well.

Old
09-12-2004, 11:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Canadiens stats for both games,

http://sk-hockey.com/sk/stat/stat_pl...eam=1051&imp=1

Flood, Milroy, Chipchura, Locke, Lapierre, all with 2 pts. Chipchura and Milroy lead with +3's and Archer/Bonneau lead with 10 pims each. Danis with a .947 save%

Good for Flood as he's fighting for a spot in Hamilton instead of going back to the Pete's.

Old
09-13-2004, 08:37 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
Disagree with the poster making the "bush league" declaration. This rookie tourney is a gas. Enjoy it if you're able to attend cause it may just be the last NHL hockey you get to see for a while.

Whaddaya want for seven bucksanyway?
I'm the one who made the "bush league" comment. Don't get me wrong, I also think this tournament is a gas and I wouldn't mind paying ten bucks for the tickets. I just don't understand why they can't play the games on rink #4 which can hold five times as many fans and why the players can't practice with jerseys with their names and numbers on them when fans are invited. That's all.

While they play these games on rink #1, which is much too small for that pupose, rink #4 is usually used for a figure skating practice involving less than 10 people. What's the problem here? Is George Gillett in dire straits?

Old
09-13-2004, 08:41 AM
NonoRobot

According to the rumor circulating saturday night, the reason why the games aren't played on rink #4 is simply 'cause the other GMs didn't want to play on an olympic size rink.

Last edited by NonoRobot: 09-13-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old
09-13-2004, 10:00 AM
CanadianPylon

The stats for the teams at the Rookie tournament are:

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ottawa Senators

Florida Panthers

Montreal Canadiens

Does anyone know where one can read write-ups about the other games at the tourny?

CanadianPylon

Closed Thread