HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which would you rather recieve

View Poll Results: What would you rather recieve in 2005
The Rangers win the Stanley Cup 29 58.00%
The Rangers draft Crosby #1 Overall 20 40.00%
Undecided 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2004, 03:03 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
Exactly.

I think the only reason i said what i did was just because I was responding more to the "any one says that is an idiot" line. I think it call comes down to taste and what you wanna risk. No one is right or wrong, but both answers have their cases.

Old
09-10-2004, 02:24 PM
desperateblue

Do you guys remember the hit stevens put on lindros ? If that is sidney crosby the kid would never be right again.I met him at a sports expo he is tiny,for an nhl prospect anyway. I wouldnt risk even a playoff series for him but hey what do i know. I gotta be honest tho Im surprised that as rangers fans you guys who voted for taking crosby, havent you learned that one more superstar doesnt change jack if there is no chemistry.

Old
09-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Fletch

It's not just 'one more superstar'...

it's part of building a 'team'. He wouldn't be added to an organization on his 31st birthday to save a ship. He will be part of many youngsters with whom he'd grow with, get to know, and hopefully be successful. The Rangers don't have enough youth at their disposal, and getting some high-end youth would be helpful for the future.

Old
09-10-2004, 03:03 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous
??
We will be lucky to make the playoffs.but if I had the choise I would always go for the cup. To me that is what I watch Hockey for. Ther is no better feeling in hockey then to watch your team parading the cup.

Old
09-10-2004, 04:36 PM
JCProdigy

I agree with Fletch and Edge on the vagueness of the poll. If you take the original question for it's worth without assuming or putting any caveats in each choice, then I'd have to take the Stanley Cup every time.

For the Rangers to win the cup next year it would be just as likely that they limped into 8th place because of a horrible bottom halve in the eastern conference and riding to the cup on a hot Weekes, Jagr, Holik combo (ala Canucks in 94 with McLean, Bure, Linden) than coming in the top 4 and trading away youth for a playoff push.

I also think that taking recent NHL history into account I could not gamble a garaunteed cup for a possibility for more in the future by drafting Crosby. Many great prospects fail to live up to the hype and even ones who do aren't necessarily garaunteed multiple cups.

Look at the latest era in the NHL (approx 1990 to present) and the see how the superstar players faired with winning the Stanley Cup. The last Gretzky was not able to bring home a stanley cup even though he was still one of the best players in the league. The last Lemeuix/Jagr won two with Pens early on. Mess was able to bring home two. Shift to later and Sakic/Forsberg were able to get two while a Bure, Sundin, Selanne, Lindros weren't able to win any. The superstars that faired the best would be Yzerman/Federov/Lidstrom as they won three.

So even if Crosby came into his own and dominated the league, what does that get us? Possibility for one more Cup? That doesn't take into account if injuries were to beset his career ala Lindros and Lemieux.

I understand those who'd take Crosby and hope for the best but taken into account this teams less then stellar history, I'll take the Cup cause I'm not a gambling man when it comes with the Rangers front office being able to build a winner.

Old
09-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Edge

I dunno i also think deep down winning a cup would just feel cheap.

Winning a million dollars sounds great but if came from an orphanage you'd feel kinda crappy.

I think that's part of my decision as well. I see some of the guys on this team and it just wouldnt feel right winning a cup. It's so inconceivable that it'd feel all wrong, like someone sold their soul and the league fixed the games.

I just don't know if it would feel right. I remember 1994 and it felt so good to see a team be put together to win a cup.

I just think i'd rather wait and know it felt right than rush into and feel dirty. {sheesh i feel like i am giving a sex talk to someone here}.

Old
09-10-2004, 06:30 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I dunno i also think deep down winning a cup would just feel cheap.

Winning a million dollars sounds great but if came from an orphanage you'd feel kinda crappy.

I think that's part of my decision as well. I see some of the guys on this team and it just wouldnt feel right winning a cup. It's so inconceivable that it'd feel all wrong, like someone sold their soul and the league fixed the games.

I just don't know if it would feel right. I remember 1994 and it felt so good to see a team be put together to win a cup.

I just think i'd rather wait and know it felt right than rush into and feel dirty. {sheesh i feel like i am giving a sex talk to someone here}.
...eh I know what you mean man but still you can put your mind at ease by pretending Mess came back for one more year as the 3rd/4th line center, we pick up Leetch at the deadline for a 5th rounder and one of Lundmark/Balej or Tjutin wins the Conn Smyth.

Oh and call me dispicable but I wouldn't feel so crappy taking the mil.....those orphans are probably used to getting crapped on.

Old
09-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Edge

lol well there goes your future working for the UN.

Closed Thread