Notices

Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Barcelona Ice hockey

Old
02-10-2015, 05:18 AM
firewagonHOCKEY

vCash: 50
Barcelona Ice hockey

Was a fun article in the Swedish magazine Aftonbladet today about a Swede who won the Spanish league gold with Barcelona. He got to step out in front of 65.000 fans on Camp Nou during a game to celebrate.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle20289574.ab

I knew that had a kickass handboll team but did not know about ice hockey. Did not Kenta Nilsson play a bit in Spain for fun?

firewagonHOCKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2016, 05:01 AM
Galladin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewagonHOCKEY View Post
Was a fun article in the Swedish magazine Aftonbladet today about a Swede who won the Spanish league gold with Barcelona. He got to step out in front of 65.000 fans on Camp Nou during a game to celebrate.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle20289574.ab

I knew that had a kickass handboll team but did not know about ice hockey. Did not Kenta Nilsson play a bit in Spain for fun?
Necromancy level 99, sorry for reviving an old thread...

Cool article though! Used to live in Barcelona for some 4 years and went to train with the FC Barcelona hockey team once and back then they had a Swede and a couple of Canadian players, too. I'd say the team compares roughly to some low end 3rd-4th division teams in Finland. If I recall correctly there are some 4 teams in Spain (FCB, Jaca, Puigcerdą and some other team), so it is pretty small over there. Spain did not look too good in the IIHF Division II games this year, but nevertheless ended up second just behind Netherlands who where promoted to Div I. But anyway, here's to hoping some smaller hockey countries pick it up too - it'd be fun to see some of these countries play the big ones one day.

On a sidenote, we have been playing in an amateur hockey tournament in Barcelona every July with some friends for 3 years now. The ice is really bad which is understandable in summer, but I can imagine that being even more of an issue if there are ice rinks elsewhere in Spain - especially in the south. Hopefully it's better when they actually play their 4-team-league. Last year, the ice did not even freeze during the last games of the tournament and there would be quite a bit of water on the ice. Talked with some of the local guys working at the rink, they should be getting some new machinery soon but I guess we will see about that this July...

Last edited by Galladin: 05-04-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Galladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Claudi27

Send a message via MSN to Claudi27
I'm local and didn't know about this! I've played roller with the guy that shows up on the video preview to the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galladin View Post
Necromancy level 99, sorry for reviving an old thread...

Cool article though! Used to live in Barcelona for some 4 years and went to train with the FC Barcelona hockey team once and back then they had a Swede and a couple of Canadian players, too. I'd say the team compares roughly to some low end 3rd-4th division teams in Finland. If I recall correctly there are some 4 teams in Spain (FCB, Jaca, Puigcerdą and some other team), so it is pretty small over there. Spain did not look too good in the IIHF Division II games this year, but nevertheless ended up second just behind Netherlands who where promoted to Div I. But anyway, here's to hoping some smaller hockey countries pick it up too - it'd be fun to see some of these countries play the big ones one day.

On a sidenote, we have been playing in an amateur hockey tournament in Barcelona every July with some friends for 3 years now. The ice is really bad which is understandable in summer, but I can imagine that being even more of an issue if there are ice rinks elsewhere in Spain - especially in the south. Hopefully it's better when they actually play their 4-team-league. Last year, the ice did not even freeze during the last games of the tournament and there would be quite a bit of water on the ice. Talked with some of the local guys working at the rink, they should be getting some new machinery soon but I guess we will see about that this July...
This is great! I think I'm going to be there playing, we should grab a beer after!

Claudi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2016, 02:21 AM
Galladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudi27 View Post
I'm local and didn't know about this! I've played roller with the guy that shows up on the video preview to the right

This is great! I think I'm going to be there playing, we should grab a beer after!
Sure! PM for Facebook/phone/e-mail?

Old
08-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Macjay

I come to the forum to read what is happening with my Edmonton oilers and pleasantly surprised to see this thread on Barcelona Hockey.

Was in Barcelona a few years ago and went to the soccer stadium during the summer and noticed the hockey rink. They had an caricature of Messi on skates over the rink. Of course, I had to go inside. Older rink for sure (dark and smelly) and I don't recall seats but I'm probably wrong about that. They were advertising a summer tournament at the time that was soon to start up. I think teams were from Russia and Sweden. I would of went if I could.
Anyway, kind of cool to find this there as I was not expecting it.

Macjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2016, 07:56 AM
Galladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macjay View Post
I come to the forum to read what is happening with my Edmonton oilers and pleasantly surprised to see this thread on Barcelona Hockey.

Was in Barcelona a few years ago and went to the soccer stadium during the summer and noticed the hockey rink. They had an caricature of Messi on skates over the rink. Of course, I had to go inside. Older rink for sure (dark and smelly) and I don't recall seats but I'm probably wrong about that. They were advertising a summer tournament at the time that was soon to start up. I think teams were from Russia and Sweden. I would of went if I could.
Anyway, kind of cool to find this there as I was not expecting it.
You should've been there. We've been going to that very tournament some 3 years in a row now, a lot of fun and met Claudi27 there this year for hockey, roller hockey and beers.

The rink is apparently undergoing a facelift this year, if I recall correctly...hopefully the ice will be better going forward, though I understood it is not clear if they will hold the tournament next summer. Either way, it's been good to see so many locals are interested interested in the sport, even though it's a marginal sport obviously.